NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 16>
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2010 at 11:37pm
Heads are at the shop as we speak.

Are you thinking the manifold is opening up under heat? I can always switch it out with my new (to me) one, just trying to avoid more work. Getting those risers off of the manifold is a PITA.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 12:32am
Hey Jeff (connorssons), still need to settle up with you if your watching his tread. Haven't gotten any emails from you, mail me direct at dvondenstein@gmail.com
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 9:02pm
Turns out the heads are good. Having them resurfaced and a valve job done. He said they actually look pretty good, a little blow-bye going on.

He suggested that when it overheated the bolts might have backed and pulled the head away from the block some. Or something like that.

Guess I'll swap the port manifold, install the reworked heads and give it a go once more.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 9:09pm
Funny you mention head bolts. When you were doing all this work, taking the heads off, putting back on, etc (not sure how many times it was done...) but have you bought new bolts for the heads? You are supposed to only use the bolts once, then throw them away if you remove them. The reason being you can never get them torqued back to spec because the threads have slightly changed now from removal, etc.   (from I understand).   Wonder if it was possible the bolts did loosen on you somehow??

Its an interesting thread.... my daily reading in my email. Hopefully you have it up and running soon!   Take your time putting it all back together. Slow and steady!
84 SN, 92 SNOB, 2005 SANTE 2006 SN 206
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 9:34pm
Have you checked on that cylinder's wall with the piston at BDC?

again, if after so many days after you last ran it, water was still on top of the piston, it isnt water from the cylinder messing your oil.
Maybe the other exhaust is cracked too, but it's not causing your emulsionated oil.

It seems you have a cracked block.

Now if you dont mind getting new gaskets and doing the job all over again, it's up to you, but I feel you already been there.

Now if you dont want to tear it all down, you could still try to find a way to pressure test the block while still assembled.
Maybe making fake heads to cover the water ports and sending pressurised water on the system could make it?? any takers?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 9:41pm
This is the first time I removed the heads. Good thought though.

Actually the bolts on that side where damn tight. Tighter than the other.

I did check the cylinders walls. Going to look real hard tonight before they start doing any work on the heads.

I'm still thinking maybe the exhaust manifold. Crack expanding once it heats up. Got the kroil soaking on it.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 9:53pm
The head bolts are not the issue.
The exhaust manifold is not the issue either.

Been telling you since page 1, first the intake, then the heads, then the block. Now, the intake was good, the heads are good, so what's next to check?

Exhaust manifold is OUT of the question unless that cylinder has no rings left, and it seems it does since water was still on top of the cylinder a week after you last ran the boat.

Start looking for options, if any, to test the block without taking it apart.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

The head bolts are not the issue.
The exhaust manifold is not the issue either.

Been telling you since page 1, first the intake, then the heads, then the block. Now, the intake was good, the heads are good, so what's next to check?

Exhaust manifold is OUT of the question unless that cylinder has no rings left, and it seems it does since water was still on top of the cylinder a week after you last ran the boat.

Start looking for options, if any, to test the block without taking it apart.

If that's the case, what might explain the lack of water in the oil for two days of boating? Not saying your wrong about the block, just curious.
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 1:02am

David, Your engine was not built with TTY(torque-to-yield) head bolts. Those are the ones designed to stretch and taking a chance if reused. I don't think Ford used them till probably the mid 1980's on some of their engines. You have original style head bolts that are reusable. Though not a bad idea to replace, don't worry about them if you don't. Reusing the head bolts was not an issue with this engine.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 5:18am
Sorry Vondy but at this point so many assumptions were made before and later proved wrong, how can we be sure there was no water in there right after your first ride?
The "fact" that the oil wasnt white doesnt mean there wasnt any water dripping in.

Now that the heads are out of the question, it's either the intake installation, which I doubt, or the block.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 11:30am
Let's recap...

Installed new intake manifold and carb.

First run of the year after overheating there is water in the oil. There was no water in the oil from running in driveway.

Water in number 4 cylinder. Found cracked exhaust manifold on starboard side and fixed. Reinstalled intake manifold just in case I messed up the first time.

Flushed 3 times in driveway, oil clear, brought to the lake two days in a row. No water in oil.

Drove 4 hours to my brothers house for the 4th, checked oil before we went out for the evening on the boats and no water in the oil.

Checked oil next morning, water in the oil. Could not see any water in the cylinders.

Pulled heads found water in the number 8 exhaust port.

Checked heads and no cracks. Personally don't see any signs of blown head gasket.

No visible signs of cracks in cylinders.

Luchog thinks the block is cracked. Chris thinks the intake is installed wrong.

The block usually cracks from freezing right? So if any water was left in the block it would have been in the number 4 cylinder area because that's the lowest point to drain. And as I have now discovered, there is some water in there after draining, I can see it with the heads off. The drain on that side is towards the front of the engine. The drain on the number 8 cylinder side is right below number 8 so the water drains completely out of there.

So for clear water to get in the number 8 exhaust port we would need a crack in one of the cylinders, 5-8, a blown head gasket, cracked head, or cracked exhaust. That correct?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 11:34am
So before I spend $275 to have the heads reworked I might bring the head gasket buy the guys shop to have him look.

This brings up another point, do I spend $275 to rework these heads or do I spend a little more on remanufactured heads that would better suit my 4 barrel carb?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 11:57am
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

This brings up another point, do I spend $275 to rework these heads or do I spend a little more on remanufactured heads that would better suit my 4 barrel carb?

You know my answer to this! With shipping added in, youre still looking at less than $200 extra to make a pretty substantial upgrade.

What the story on the intake manifold- did you buy it new or used? Finding water in the back 2 cylinders at different times is strange, but would have me looking for a common cause (intake or block).
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 12:37pm
Vondy why are you thinking on redoing or getting new heads when you have the chance of needing a new engine??? why, why???

Please do yourself a favor, just resurface those heads and lap the valves then close your wallet for the time being. Now if they will charge U$D275 for that, get the reman ones from Clearwaters.
Did those guys that checked your heads give it some temp while testing it?

There also water and oil passages through the block that could have cracked, not only cylinders.

You wont what's the real problem until you test the block, otherwise just burning money, time and energy.

On you recap, you forgot to add the overheating was due to a block plug, an weird expandable one, that popped out.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 12:57pm
This a FWIW only.

The dark trails in the top right of this pick are from cracks. I thought it was just dirty because I couldn't see the cracks until the block had been dipped and they were magnafluxed.

Maybe this will help you see something? Also, that engine ran with frequent oil changes for 2 years. The cracks were super small; so much so that most of the oil changes showed little or no signs of water in the oil. Good luck.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 2:16pm
Small update. Called the shop to tell them to hold off on the heads. Talked to the guy for a while about my issues. This guy specializes in racing engines, and does marine as well. From my research his name kept popping up all over the place so I have confidence in him.

He's thinking exhaust manifold. The water will push by the rings slowly causing the milkshake. If water were coming from inside the block it would most probably be dumping water and would be immediately noticeable. Being aluminum they would expand more from the heat causing to leak.

He's also going to pressure test one of the cylinders on the head he says looks as if it had water in it.

He called me back saying his guy surfaced the heads last night so I'm just going to have them do the valve job and use these for now. If he doesn't find anything wrong with the pressure test. Going by at lunch to talk more and bring the head gasket.

Comments....?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

He's thinking exhaust manifold. The water will push by the rings slowly causing the milkshake. If water were coming from inside the block it would most probably be dumping water and would be immediately noticeable. Being aluminum they would expand more from the heat causing to leak.

He called me back saying his guy surfaced the heads last night so I'm just going to have them do the valve job and use these for now. If he doesn't find anything wrong with the pressure test. Going by at lunch to talk more and bring the head gasket.

Comments....?

You mean exhaust manifolds? Both would have to be cracked if that were the only source of water intrusion... you had water in cyl # 4 and 8, correct? Last I checked, those were on opposite banks.

Id get a cost on the heads before having him proceed. Personally I wouldnt put a dime into them (or any stock Ford head, for that matter).
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 2:50pm
Water in cylinder 8 only. Water in cylinder 4 was from the first time the manifold was cracked. I replaced that manifold and that bank is dry.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 5:07pm
man we've been around the block and back a couple of times now, this is just crazy. I feel at this point and time you really need to slow down and really examine everything and even get a extra set of experienced eyes to help you out. I question the intake install as well as the pressure test/know good exhaust mainfolds. I know your tight on cash and you have another boat and this one isn't ideal for the normal water conditions your lake has, but without actually examining in person and seeing first hand not sure what road to steer you down, too many variables, too many question if things where done right....but we'll get there.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

man we've been around the block and back a couple of times now, this is just crazy. I feel at this point and time you really need to slow down and really examine everything and even get a extra set of experienced eyes to help you out. I question the intake install as well as the pressure test/know good exhaust mainfolds. I know your tight on cash and you have another boat and this one isn't ideal for the normal water conditions your lake has, but without actually examining in person and seeing first hand not sure what road to steer you down, too many variables, too many question if things where done right....but we'll get there.

That's what I'm trying to do at this point Chris. This guy working on the heads has been very helpful. He's very patient listening to my boat problems and trying to figure out what's wrong. And I know he does not have to do that.

Just got back from there. Showed him the head gaskets and he did not see anything definitive pointing to a blown gasket but could tell it was about to blow between some of the cylinders. Probably from the overheat.

I don't know much about valve seats but he likes the fact mine are hardened. He also thinks I'll get better compression with these heads than I would with a GT-40. Due to the shape of the combustion chamber. That's beyond my knowledge so I took his word for it.

He's still thinking exhaust manifold.

Chris I'm not sure you'd like his recommendation on installing the intake.
He says to put the rtv on both sides of the gasket and actually put small amounts not just around the water port but everywhere. Obviously a heavier bead around the ports and don't use a fel-pro but a cheap mr gasket paper gasket. He claims the rtv does not stick well to the bead on those type of gaskets. Sounds interesting for sure.

Oh and I only have this boat BTW. If I had another boat I would be taken my sweat time with this one.

I do thank everyone here for putting up with this post. Seems like it's frustrating you all more than me. Of course I can't do it without you all. Hopefully when it's all said and done it will be helpful for others.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 7:14pm
well some of the spots seems heavy some looked alittle lite with the amount of RTV, paper gasket never, you'll have more problems than you do now. Fel-pro yes all the way, mr. gasket no.

double triple check the manifold for a leak look for water marks in the exhaust section of the manifold, if you see any it bad and should not be used, hell if you have to scrape the HM's scrap them and use PCM, osco's any that are known to not cracked or leaks for the short term.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 5:32pm
OK guys. The heads are back and I am starting to think about the reassembly process. This will be my first time for cylinder heads so please feel free to divulge any and all info so I get it right the first time.

Here's what I know, or at least think I know...
Mine does not use the torque to yield bolts so I can reuse the ones I have. However, I was thinking about just getting new ones because mine seem a bit "crusty". I'll double check them tonight they might not be as bad as I think. If I do replace them, how about these bolts ?

Apparently there is some putty, lube, paste, oil, or something I'm supposed to use on the threads of these when reinstalling. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Here's what I am coming up for the gaskets. gaskets

So when I go to torque them down, obviously I'll follow the correct sequence. I believe the guy at the machine shop suggested tightening in stages, something like 20 - 40 - 60. I have the final torque in my manual, haven't looked at it yet.

Thanks again everyone. If this, the exhaust manifold, and proper assembly does not fix her then she will be up for the year. I'll probably pull the engine and disassemble so the block can be checked. My wife is going to divorce me if I don't stop messing with it!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 1:01am
I've read I should dip the head bolts in oil before torquing. Still not sure if I need any sealer or thread locker. I don't believe my block is open to the water jackets.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 1:09am
You can check out the ARP "fasteners" (not bolts) on their site.   http://arp-bolts.com/arpultratorque/

Torque with oil, torgue with their lube or no lube... the specs are over the board.      The ARP bolt kit for the Ford 351 block comes with all the head bolts, grease and torque specs for those bolts. Its not by gasket or head manufacture, etc. It goes by the what the bolt specifies.   My local speed shop guys taught me the correct way and explained how they work.
84 SN, 92 SNOB, 2005 SANTE 2006 SN 206
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 1:39am
Vondy, clean all the threads with a "thread male" (dont know the translation) clean with WD40 and shoot some air on the holes.

There's a torquing secuence (from center to the sides going on diagonals) the secuence on the manual.

Sandpaper and clean the block surface for the gasket, dont use any product on the gasket. The open holes on the gasket go on the rear of the block.

Good luck.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Sandpaper and clean the block surface for the gasket,

major no no never sand the head or block interface, your just asking for trouble if you do, scrape the crap off don't sand it off.

The head gasket is the wrong head gasket don't use the one you posted.

take the head bolts to a wire wheel and clean them up, check them for straightness and reuse if, they are not pitted or bent.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

The head gasket is the wrong head gasket don't use the one you posted.

That was the only Fel-Pro that came up for my engine, I did not realize there was a Fel-Pro Performance option to click when I searched. Now I have 19 options. How do I go about finding the right one?

fel-pro
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 3:45pm
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 6:17pm
You think marine is really necessary? It says for harsh marine environment. I wouldn't think fresh water lakes would be a harsh environment. Being that it will be stored at the house and not on the lake. Of course I could be wrong.

Apparently I need to know the bore size, compressed thickness, compressed volume.....
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 9:53pm
Even though I dont think the gasket NEEDS to be marine, as you could use a high quality street gasket, not paying extra for the "marine" label on the box, play it safe, get the MARINE one.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 16>
  Share Topic