NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 16>
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 11:38am
OK then I'll go with the marine.

The one Chris linked to is the only Fel-Pro marine one on Summit. I assume it will work? Bore is 4.080 in. The specs in my manual say the bore diameter for a 302-4v is 4.0004-4.0028in. I also assume the 2v would be the same for as the 4v when it comes to cylinder size. Also assuming mine has not been enlarged. I don't know if the thickness of the gasket matters much?

Cleaned up the bolts and they look OK to me. I'll reuse unless anyone objects... Any reason they need to go in the same holes I took them out of? I figured I was going to buy new ones so did not mark them.

Will also clean out the holes for them and use either 30 weight oil or ARP's lube for torquing. Toque in my manual shows 3 steps. 50 / 60 / 65-72.

So that's the plan. Does anyone see anything else I should do or should not do... besides not do it myself
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 1:21pm
hole location doesn't matter for the head bolts,.... lifters, rockers, bearing caps it does
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 12:35pm
It's now time to start putting things back together. I keep seeing conflicting directions for the head bolts. As I am reusing mine I don't have any directions for the bolts. My engine manual says to tighten in three steps, 60-70-80 lbs. Or something like that. The instructions with the gasket say to tighten to the specified torque, let sit 10 minutes then loosen and tighten again.

What should I be doing here? And do I need to re-torque at any time after she has been running?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 12:46pm
I have always read that stock head bolts should not be reused. Thats not to say that they cant be- but I wont be doing that on any engine I care much about.

I would follow the tightening pattern, following the torque sequence outlined in your manual. I have never heard of letting them sit, loosening and retightening. No need to do anything after the engine has been run.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 1:01pm
Head bolt/stud torque is dependant on the fastener and to a lesser extent the lubricant used for install, and application. Whoever made the fastener is the spec you should follow (likely the one from the engine manual in this case). If the bolt has a section where it necks down from nominal then it is likely to be a torque to yield bolt that should under no circumstances be reused. I feel it is unlikely that you have one of those bolts but one can never be sure. If the gasket manufacturer wants 10 mins between torque steps then what can it hurt, but loosening in between sounds a bit sketchy. On aluminum heads with non torque to yield bolts/studs and in performance or racing applications you need to go back and retorque after after a couple thermal cycles... but I think you are safe here.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I have always read that stock head bolts should not be reused. Thats not to say that they cant be- but I wont be doing that on any engine I care much about.

MAN what were we thinking reusing the head bolts on Johns and they have lasted all this time, I can't think of any motor we've actually used new bolts on the heads or mains or anything guess dad was doing wrong all these years, I did buy some nice shinny twelve points once for an intake though and have replaced some timing cover botls too oh well
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 1:35pm
Head bolts on some car engines are designed to stretch a little bit, but they typically have tolerances defined for how far they stretch before they are no longer usable. I'm not sure where you can look up the tolerances for head bolts cuz I'm actually only repeating what a good auto mechanic told me.

Disclaimer: I don't know this firsthand. I could be wrong, and it won't upset me if I am.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 1:40pm
I should clarify- it seems to be common practice to replace stock Ford Windsor head bolts, as they are supposedly torque to yield. I havent cared enough to check this with my own eyes, but for the extra $40-50, I feel it is cheap insurance in most cases. Of course, I bolted the heads onto my junk Skier with the old bolts, but I know the risks of doing so. Im sure most people swapping out heads would not know the difference, but I would expect a little better information to be given out on this site. Unless you know for certain what type of bolts he has, I would say replace them and err on the side of caution. Feel free to do as you please, just my 2 cents!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 1:51pm
Well if it was a late 90's or newer I would worry about it since they where not in use before that.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:22pm
The P.O. had the heads resurfaced before. Any chance they would have replaced the bolts with torque to yield? These do not have washers, I don't know if this means anything.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:32pm
never seen a head bolt that used washers there are all shoulder flange head bolts. Use the old ones unless you really just want to spend money this engine was built decades before yield to torque bolts where ever used.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:37pm
Looks like the new ones have washers.

bolts
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:38pm

I should clarify- it seems to be common practice to replace stock Ford Windsor head bolts, as they are supposedly torque to yield. I havent cared enough to check this with my own eyes, but for the extra $40-50, I feel it is cheap insurance in most cases. Of course, I bolted the heads onto my junk Skier with the old bolts, but I know the risks of doing so. Im sure most people swapping out heads would not know the difference, but I would expect a little better information to be given out on this site. Unless you know for certain what type of bolts he has, I would say replace them and err on the side of caution. Feel free to do as you please, just my 2 cents!

Tell me what distinguishing feature do torque to yield bolts have? could you tell the difference between the two if they where placed side by side? my money says no.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Tell me what distinguishing feature do torque to yield bolts have? could you tell the difference between the two if they where placed side by side? my money says no.

Probably not without seeing both side by side and someone pointing the difference out to me! I was actually unaware that you could distinguish between the 2 by inspection, but Joe told you what to look for right here:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

If the bolt has a section where it necks down from nominal then it is likely to be a torque to yield bolt that should under no circumstances be reused.

Everything I have read previously has indicated that Windsor head bolts were commonly torque to yield- never did I see any mention of the year Ford started using them, but it certainly did not sound like something used only recently. Heck, Windsors were all but out of production 10 years ago.

Edit: a little more research indicated that Ford may have gone from standard (reusable once or twice) bolts to TTY bolts in 1992 1/2 or so. I guess I stand corrected, but replacing them still doesnt seem like a bad investment for minimal $$, especially if they look at all questionable.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:59pm
DA torque to yield bolts came out after the 351W engine stopped production so how the hell could it have them?

also the entire shaft of a torque to yield bolt is the same diameter as the minor diameter of the thread, very easy to tell the difference BTW sorry I missed Joe point that out to you but all ready know the difference and how to tell them apart visually.

yeild to torque bolt

regular head bolt that can be reused and reused again and again and again
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 4:29pm

DA torque to yield bolts came out after the 351W engine stopped production so how the hell could it have them?

DA, the engine in question is a 302 and TTY bolts came out well before Ford stopped production on the 351w. See my previous post for clarification.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 4:41pm

also the entire shaft of a torque to yield bolt is the same diameter as the minor diameter of the thread, very easy to tell the difference BTW sorry I missed Joe point that out to you but all ready know the difference and how to tell them apart visually.

yeild to torque bolt

regular head bolt that can be reused and reused again and again and again

Chris,
How come the above links are for Chevy's? I thought the discussion was about Fords?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 4:53pm
Torque-to-yield
In the mid 1980s, we started to see a move in engine fasteners to a new process called torque-to-yield (TTY). Head bolts were the first fasteners affected, although the technology has trickled down to other critical fasteners. The theory holds that the farther we stretch a fastener toward the threshold of yield, the more load it exerts on the joint.

Pete I was talking about a specific type of bolt torque to yield and showing an example, so it really dosen't make a rats ass bit of difference who's make model or size engine it was, since the technique came at the end of the 351W life and wasn't used on them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 5:14pm

DA, the engine in question is a 302 and TTY bolts came out well before Ford stopped production on the 351w. See my previous post for clarification.

show us any marine repair manual that stats to replace the head bolts on a 302 or 351 ford block. DA your barking up the wrong ass tree but I wouldn't expect some wet behind the ears EE to know or ever spec a yield to torque fastener or who could tell the difference without being told what the f they are looking at.

Vondy post a picture of your bolts since that is what is relavent and not some dreamed up BS Timmy boy has in his pea brain.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 5:16pm
I'll post a pic this evening.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 5:35pm
if it looks like a regular old bolt then use them and if the thread is the largest diameter then they might have been replaced with yield to torque bolts which was a hugh waiste of money if they have been.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 7:40pm
(If) your using an overhaul manual to get your torque spec's there WILL be notes all over it. "Use new torque to yield fasteners" "Stop do not reuse old bolts." - stuff like that.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 2:06am
I agree with Waterdog. From understanding, once you torque a head FASTENER (not bolt!) it will torque to spec. But once you pull it out, the bolt will have stretched x mm.   The naked eye probably will not catch it. So when you go to re-torque fasteners, they will never be the same torque to what specs says in the manual.   The fastener (AKA bolt) will stretch when torqued and stay at that position until it is loosened again.

Granted, im not an expert, but this what my local speed shop said and why you need to replace the bolts with fasteners. The ARP bolts are actually tapered and use the washer method.

Pretty cool article on what I was trying to say.. :)
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/1126/perfect_engine_sealing_starts_with_proper_head_bolt_use.aspx

Now, I want to see what ol' Chris has to say about that.   (haha)
84 SN, 92 SNOB, 2005 SANTE 2006 SN 206
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 11:29am
P1010419

P1010420

P1010422

P1010421
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

(If) your using an overhaul manual to get your torque spec's there WILL be notes all over it. "Use new torque to yield fasteners" "Stop do not reuse old bolts." - stuff like that.

yes if it's a late model engine and not a mid 80's or older motor that never was designed to use TTY fasteners, So what relivence does that have NONE

what is the difference between plastic and elastic deformation and which is applicable to what.

Got TWO so called experts repeating secondhand BS that is not even applicable F n idiot and DUMMER12 talking secondhand info out of context for the application.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 11:48am
Vondy email me the pictures at robert.c.broshar@rolls-royce.com so that I can see them, thanks
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 11:54am
I concur with chris on this one, the windsors never had TTY head bolts, nor do they need them.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I concur with chris on this one, the windsors never had TTY head bolts, nor do they need them.

yea these are aluminum blocks anyway right, since the mojority of TTY bolts are used for that application, but then put one bolt of each style side by side and the idiots would just scratch there heads and wonder why they are different and why one can be reused hundereds of time and the other has to be replaced their a bunch of tools with no first hand experince and only secondhand shadetree BS to ofer if you ask me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 12:52pm
Vondy thanks for e-mailing the pictures,

use the bolts you have make sure none are bent, just roll on a flat surface to check, clean them up and re-install them and don't even give it a second thought or listen to the uneducated fools that don't know elastic deformation occurs on both bolt styles one never gets to plastic deformation and the other does and thus never returns to it's original size because it's permenately deformed and has exceeded the material's elastic limit and can't be re-used, which is a TTY fatener and not what is on your engine so your fine to re-use what orginally came on the engine.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 1:20pm
Sounds like a plan. Should I use oil or ARP lube for torquing?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 16>
  Share Topic