NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mustang teak edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mustang teak edition
    Posted: September-04-2010 at 7:19am
Hi all here are some pic's of my mustang rebuild...
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 8:18am
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 8:25am
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 11:58am
That's some pretty nice wood work there. Beats carpet for sure. You going to put another seat in the rear? That swim platform is quite nice.

Pete's going to have a fit
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 12:37pm
Get ready because you're going to take some heat for that here BUT I like the floor. Not sure it's in everyone's taste but nice work just the same.

Don't care for the rear seat, looks a bit out of place. Again nice work, keep up with the photos.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 12:57pm
Wow, i think i just wet myself. Well done.
Would have left the wood off the engine box, don't concur with choice of carburation, seats look too euro for me, location of electrics on engine is a little distracting...else very good show.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by jonas jonas wrote:

Hi all here are some pic's of my mustang rebuild...

Beeing an old wooden boat guy I love the teak and all of your joinery work looks great. Your boat will definatly turn heads at the marinas. Looks like you have a nice facility to do the work in
Don Liberman
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 1:12pm
Jonas, Like your take on the rebuild, I see you use no glass and gone for a glue in stringer system as in modern boats fill us in on the type of glue you used.
Floor looks great well done.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 2:50pm
Vondy
tank you for the kind words...
the fourth seat is made out of cushions so that it can be packed away.

81nautique
I am expecting a bit of heat... that has been one of the reasons I have hesitatet to post this...

GottaSki
thank you

Tuna_tugger
Thank you
The most of the work i did at my workplace my boss was kind to let me use the place after hours...

Uk1979
I used a autosealer for sheetmetal to bed the stringers in and then I used polyester glas over that.
So everything is glassed in.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 12:32am
First off, great, gret work here!!!

second, what's the engine angle on those mustang boats?? how much can these V8's take?
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 12:53am
Beautiful work!
Rich
1979 Ski Nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 2:49am
looks good!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 11:05am
That does look really nice. Great job.

Lucho, 12*.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 11:38am

That is one nice looking floor job !!

Dave
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 1:46pm
Thats a good looking rebuild, you put a bunch of work into it i'm sure it's your pride and joy!

What type of foam did you put back in the floor?
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 3:40pm
Tank you all....

I used a closed cell pu foam.

I had a great day on the water today... made some video with my new camera...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kidQNAj6PCQ
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 3:46pm
Great video!
Rich
1979 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 3:51pm

Tank you all....

I used a closed cell pu foam.

I had a great day on the water today... made some video with my new camera...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kidQNAj6PCQ

Awesome, Is the engine stock? Is it fuel Injected? I have a 351W and am thinking of adding fuel injection. What do you think?
Don Liberman
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 4:05pm
Don
The engine is not stock i have put some mods on.
I have been thinking on that injection ass well, but I am going the supercharged way instead you will get more hp for less money...

I am doing 82 km/h with the current setup but I am going for 100 some day...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 4:14pm

Don
The engine is not stock i have put some mods on.
I have been thinking on that injection ass well, but I am going the supercharged way instead you will get more hp for less money...

I am doing 82 km/h with the current setup but I am going for 100 some day...

Nice I use my boat for fishing and do a lot of trolling so I was think MPFI may be a good option for me. I would like to get the top speed up by another 5mph. When I lived in CA I had a 19' Donzi clasic with a fuel injecter corvet engine and did 73mph but started to chine walk at that speed so pumping it up more wasn't an option.
Don Liberman
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 6:02pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 6:10pm

And one more...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJIXioHg3L0

LOVE THAT SOUND!!!!!!!!!
Don Liberman
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 8:46pm
wow nice video..nice holeshot!!!
I love that sound...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 12:39am
I showed your post to my lovely, Mustang owning wife tonight. Mrs. Wakeslayer said your boat is beautiful, and you should be proud!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 1:14pm

Again !!
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 11:02am
Jonas, Great job on your boat. The teak floor looks awesome. Also loved the video's. Two thumbs up. John.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:57pm
Great job! What are your stringer made out of?
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 5:03pm
Tank's...
The stringers are made out of marine grade plywood.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 8:49am
Jonas,
I won't comment on your choice to go with a non original rebuild as it's not my style but will say you workmanship is superb.

However, I do want to warn others who may look at your method of using plywood for the stringers. From a structural standpoint it's a weak flawed method especially without a glass covering. The fiberglass adds considerable strength to the stringer system. As a example, when people go to composites, extra glass is used to make up for the composite not having the same flexural modulus strength as the original Doug Fir.

Next is even tough you used marine grade ply which is meant for strutural applications, it is weaker than a solid especially due to you splicing shorter lengths together for the length needed. You basically have a 3/4" thick plywood stringer at the splice plus I didn't even see any butt blocking that would transmit the load around the splices.

Now the real problem with ply - Every other layer of veneer (cross banding) the grain of the wood is going the wrong direction needed for the stress applied to the stringers. Keep a very close eye on your rebuild. I feel you will have problems with it. Roughly, I'd say you're lucky if you have 1/4 the strength of the original solid Fir stringers.

BTW, we do have one member who couldn't find Doug Fir in his area that is currently doing a stringer job with LVL structural ply. This is a excellent choice as this material is designed for door/window headers and support beams and every layer of veneer has the grain of the wood running the length of the member.

I'd also like to ask why you put the vents in the dog house (engine hatch)?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 7:37pm
Your boat is Art! I do have a question thou. The engine and tranmission looks like it's lag bolted down throu the end grain of the laminated plywood stringers ?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic