Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woke up 84 - Purrrs like a kitten!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by NEDLUTZ NEDLUTZ wrote:

Scott I think sun is gettin ready to come out!!!

Hope so!
How ya been?
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:19pm
been doing good scott glad u asked ,getting ready to head to the camp.. hope all this rain brings the pond up some it was getting low. don't want to hit bottom with the boat,that would s???k big time,good luck with your boat if you need any tools or help let me no!!! B.
Scott your email is private,i was going give you my # if you had any questions 369-6276 cell
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:44pm

been doing good scott glad u asked ,getting ready to head to the camp.. hope all this rain brings the pond up some it was getting low. don't want to hit bottom with the boat,that would s???k big time,good luck with your boat if you need any tools or help let me no!!! B.
Scott your email is private,i was going give you my # if you had any questions 369-6276 cell

Thanks man, appreciate it.
Hopefully this old tug will cooperate soon!
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 8:03pm
SHE's FREE!! :)

I guess (thanks to 4 days of rain) soaking in PB for awhile is what she needed.
Sun came out today, got home from work and figured I'd check to see if anything was different.
Put a little pressure on the socket wrench and it moved about an inch at first.
Gave her a few more squirts and was able to gently rock her back and forth up to a good quarter rotation with very little pressure.
Added generous squirts to each and I'll let her sit another day, and then work her some more.
I'm assuming that working to a full rotation SLOWLY is the best bet.

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 1:32am
I think what your fighting is rusty bores once you get it moving.Might be worth filling the cylinders as much as possible,but awful messy.

Bob
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 3:00am
Sounds like a heart beat. Keep us informed.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 9:51am
Any suggestions for getting the fuel pumping through the veins again?
I've drained the tank pretty well. (Seems like there is still a small amount in the bottom that just can't seem to pump out).
Will filling with a fresh 30 gallons be OK now?
Should I be adding some gas to carb.?

Tips I've gotten is to get her started, run until warm and then change oil.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 10:04am
You will be fine adding the fresh gas.
Yes, squirting some gas down the carb is a good idea to get it to fire. It really doesn't take too many cranks to get the carb filled up with gas.

Anything with the battery yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 10:53am
Suggest priming the oil system before firing it up. Buffalo BFN already posted this. Just need to pull the dizzy & use a screwdriver extension on a drill. Make sure & get the dizzy back in the same position - take a picture if need be.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 1:29pm
If it were mine I'd pull the float bowls clean them up and make them spotless then pump the first quart of fuel thru the system and into a catch can (not the carb). Sediment and varnish from sitting can leave you with a month of headache and worry if you try to suck it thru the carb.    

On the oil pump prime ~ Removing the dist and turning the pump gurantees good oil flow first (Good advice). I'll usually short cut it and just start the enigne with the coil disconnected / pumping the bad fuel out / fresh fuel flush. This primes the oil pump and establishes basic oil ciculation while under no load.

Coil disconnected with fuel line disconnected = Fire hazzard
Be safe in doing this....
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 10:10am
Well, she's loose and spinning free.
Spent a lot of time gently rocking her back and forth by hand.
Put battery back in and went to bumping her to spin oil out.
Turned key off and she just kept spinning! Guess the relay is sticking. (That must heve been the problem when I thought the starter was stuck engaged.) A good tap with the socket wrench frees it.

Now getting her started seems to be the next hurdle.
Added full tank of new gas. Gas does'nt seem to be getting up to carb yet. But, even priming carb didn't seem like she had any fire.
The secondary throttle/air flapper seemed locked up. Soaked that PB and got it so it would move by hand again.
Pulled off Dist.cap and cleaned that up.

Still plugging away at it!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 5:27pm
Nauti84,   I have in the past loosened the fuel line into the carb, put it in a bucket, and added a LITTLE air pressure to the tank until the fuel was in the line.    I use my hand as a seal, and put a little pressure in by using my blow gun in short spurts until the fuel goes into the bucket.   Might be worth a try if your batt is weak.

dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

I use my hand as a seal, and put a little pressure in by using my blow gun in short spurts

Sorry guys...I've watched ya'll play this game for awhile. Couldn't resist.
Doug
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2010 at 1:22pm

Nauti84,   I have in the past loosened the fuel line into the carb, put it in a bucket, and added a LITTLE air pressure to the tank until the fuel was in the line.    I use my hand as a seal, and put a little pressure in by using my blow gun in short spurts until the fuel goes into the bucket.   Might be worth a try if your batt is weak.

Thanks. Good idea to at least see if I've got fuel past the filter.
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2010 at 2:26pm
Lots of good info here, in fact it probably should be stickied.
I like the bell housing hole idea and Erics air hose idea(I bet your shop compressor is running lots of pressure).
I do some antique cars and my first step is to drain the oil and fill the engine up to the top of the barrels with diesel fuel. I let it sit for weeks if nessesary and try to give it a little crank everyday until I get it spinning free. I had an old "hit n' miss"(Pete knows what this is) that took me a whole winter to free up but it had been out in a field for over 50 years.

Glad you got yours free Nauti84.
70 Mustang project
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2010 at 10:55pm
I think I've kind of reached a stalling point.
Engine now spins by hand and by key.
But when I spin by key sounds very slow.
Battery shows 12.3 and goes down to almost nothing when I turn key.
Tried Jumper cables from my jeep but still sounded too slow.
Squirted gas in carb but doesn't seem to have enough umph to even try to start. Not sure if I've just got a battery problem, carb problem, both?
Maybe I'll try another battery after the storm blows though this week.
Looking like it's time to find an engine guy who makes house calls!
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2010 at 11:03pm
scott give my cousin Arther a call he lives next to my mom tell him who you r and that you no me and the family..he does house calls very cheap,i don't have his number but i can get it for you. or you can stop by and talk to him.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2010 at 11:40pm
check the condition of all conections...measure volts at coil etc..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 4:14pm

scott give my cousin Arther a call he lives next to my mom tell him who you r and that you no me and the family..he does house calls very cheap,i don't have his number but i can get it for you. or you can stop by and talk to him.

Thanks.
Don't think I actually know him, but my daughter's boyfriend's father is into the classic cars and knows/does some work with him.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by NAUTI84 NAUTI84 wrote:

Battery shows 12.3 and goes down to almost nothing when I turn key.
Tried Jumper cables from my jeep but still sounded too slow.
Maybe I'll try another battery after the storm blows though this week.
Looking like it's time to find an engine guy who makes house calls!

Try the battery first.... Carbs are more expensive, and usually a 6 yr old batt is pretty well on its last legs even if it was on a trickle charger.   THe jump may not help because of voltage drop through the cables, and the resistance through an old weak battery. You've got to spin the motor reasonably fast for it to crank.... definitly start with the easy stuff
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 6:44pm

Try the battery first.... Carbs are more expensive, and usually a 6 yr old batt is pretty well on its last legs even if it was on a trickle charger.   THe jump may not help because of voltage drop through the cables, and the resistance through an old weak battery. You've got to spin the motor reasonably fast for it to crank.... definitly start with the easy stuff

Thanks. Makes sense.
Think I'll pull one of my RV batteries and give it a try.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 7:14pm
+ 1 on new battery
My battery was 5 years old and was reading 12.3, so I kept thinking it was good. Got to the lake for a water test and turned it over a couple of times and it died. Even if it charged enough to start her up again, it was not holding much power. Not worth the risk of getting stranded.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 8:19pm
RV house batteries are typically deep cycle not starting batteries and may even be 6v so check it out before yanking them out, I would just go buy a new one you'll need it anyway.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

+ 1 on new battery
My battery was 5 years old and was reading 12.3, so I kept thinking it was good.

Since my little Mustang doesn't have much of an electrical load, I always use one out of one of my cars and get a new one for it.Right now I'm still using the original battery out of my '01 Cherokee
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

+ 1 on new battery
My battery was 5 years old and was reading 12.3, so I kept thinking it was good.

Since my little Mustang doesn't have much of an electrical load, I always use one out of one of my cars and get a new one for it.Right now I'm still using the original battery out of my '01 Cherokee

That is a good battery!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 10:18am
Did you pull the starter off to check the bendix to see if it is seized? Spin to check with the starter off to sure the starter. Take a broom handle and push it on the bendix drive while turning it over. It should grind the handle.If it does the starter is ok.
Also with plugs out spraw some wd 40 in the bores and let it set a while before trying to spin over, if you don't you take the risk of breaking the top ring or worse.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 11:49am
Almost there!
She's kicking and sputtering, fighting to turn over.
(Weak battery seemed to be biggest prob.)
Now just seem to be having trouble getting the gas flow.
Will also grab some new plugs, but was hoping that the old ones cleaned up would at least get it to turn over before changing.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 11:53am
Pour an oz. of gas down the carb throat. (put the flame arrestor back on!) That ought to feed her for a few seconds.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 9:45am
New plugs in.
She's so close to starting. Doesn't seem to be pulling any gas though.
Can someone explain how the fuel system works?
I've tried priming fuel filter, but I don't seem to be getting it up to the carb.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 10:14am
This may sound dumb, but do you have a fuel shut-off?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic