NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

foam

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: foam
    Posted: December-02-2010 at 1:58pm
Is the foam structural? I have removed the floor and foam, after reading several post, and a couple of soft spots, The wood appears to be good for the most part. All of the lags for the motor mounts tighten and hold real well, I am going to make a couple of test holes to see if they are still good, With the problems the foam creates it seems better to back without it, but I am no boat engineer. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Mike
Lakedog55
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 2:04pm
What boat do you have? The foam is certainly structural in the newer boats (2001 hull and forward) and the argument could be made either way on the older stuff. Some of the smaller boats would probably be fine without it, but the larger ones (our BFN for example) would oilcan pretty badly without the foam.

I have 2 suggestions:
1) If foam is removed, something should be put back in place to strengthen the structure in its absence. On our BFN, we put in ribs every foot or so.

2) If youve gone through the trouble of removing the floor and foam, replace the stringers while youre in there. Its clear youve got some degree of rot going on and its much easier to address it now while its apart.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 3:02pm
The boat is a 1986 SN. I need to pull the motor is what you are saying and do it once and forget about it. oh so much work and so little time.
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 3:55pm
When I do the stringers can I use yellow pine? It is very available>
Thanks Mike
Lakedog55
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by lakedog55 lakedog55 wrote:

When I do the stringers can I use yellow pine? It is very available>
Thanks Mike

Douglas Fir is the wood to use.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 7:40pm
Like Tim said if you go the route without foam then you need to put in addional support for the floor. It also ties the sides of the hull to the bottom and mains.

This is what I did in my '85

I left access for water to escape and allow air to flow to help dry things out.

lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 8:04pm
That is way cool, do you need a winter break in Florida? Does anyone have a drawing of what the stringers are look like. On the sides you added what looks like a cat for the floor to res on, what did you use to set the stringers and other wood. The whole fiberglass lay up thing is a mystery to me. Is there anywhere to go for more advice. I will definetly be going without foam, What thickness plywood did you use? Why the fir?.
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 8:25pm
One more question How far do the main stringers extend toward the bow, I cut my floor out exactly where you did. And have managed to get the batterey box out but not the vents any tips I will try and post a picture
Thanks Mike
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 8:40pm
trying the picture again
Lakedog55
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 10:25pm
I went through the same thing last year and asked all of the beginner questions. I started the thread 73 Skier Restoration and set out to document my entire rebuild. There are over 200 pics and the CCF community poured their heart into 25 pages of suggestions and ideas. The below threads are what got me started.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Threads are great and key info is hidden all through them but... A book would be great. Any recommendations?

I think you'll find more than enough info here on the forums to answer any question that you have. Search, search, search- and read, read, read!

Here are some big hitters on stringer/floor jobs. My apologies to anyone I forgot. In no particular order:

Buffalo's '88 Barefoot Nautique

Skibum's '87 Ski Nautique rebuild (and his website)

aka's '83 SN

Wakeslayer's '68 Stang

Joe in NY's all composite 60mph Nautique rebuild

The Grinch's '79 BFN

UK79's '78SN

Hasbeenskier has also done a beautiful job restoring 2 '81's with composites... a SN and a BFN. He has numerous threads on each, so do some clicking and read those too.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 10:30pm
The stringers end at the airbox. To draw the new ones your best bet is to remove them in a way that you can use them as a template. All that is covered in the threads above. The more you read the clearer the process will become.

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 8:16am
Keegan,
Thanks for doing all that searching!

I agree that no book is needed. It's all here at CCfan!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 1:39pm
I am in the same boat my stringers are good 85 ' 2001 but would like to get the wet foam out it seems like a lot of work and expense to replace stringers when they are still good any way around this? hat about spraying in closed cell like Icyene ?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

it seems like a lot of work and expense to replace stringers when they are still good

The misconception is that theyre still good... just because they look ok doesnt mean theyre dry and rot free.

Its already a lot of work and expense to go in and dig the foam out, then replace the floor and carpet. If you only do that without adding floor/hull support to replace the strength of the foam, then you'll actually be making the boat worse, not better. Doing the job twice (once half assed, then again to do it right) is not recommended if youre concerned about time and money. Do it once and do it right- or dont bother at all.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

it seems like a lot of work and expense to replace stringers when they are still good

The misconception is that theyre still good... just because they look ok doesnt mean theyre dry and rot free.

Its already a lot of work and expense to go in and dig the foam out, then replace the floor and carpet. If you only do that without adding floor/hull support to replace the strength of the foam, then you'll actually be making the boat worse, not better. Doing the job twice (once half assed, then again to do it right) is not recommended if youre concerned about time and money. Do it once and do it right- or dont bother at all.

I agree with everything Tim has said. Do a stringer job now before it comes back to haunt you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Keegan,
Thanks for doing all that searching!

I agree that no book is needed. It's all here at CCfan!

Tim actually gets credit for this list. He posted it on page 1 of my thread just as I was getting started. I have pasted it into a few beginner threads now as the same old questions I had to ask keep coming up. It takes a lot of reading and planning to take on a rebuild if you do not have any experience. I know from experience.

1973 Skier
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 6:43pm
Okay I am going to make preps to pull the motor, do I need to make any measurements before beginning . I am going to pull one stringer at a time and ask a bunch of questions in between, I will use or try and use the same materials you guys are using, Will a microlamb beam or lvl work in place of the fir?
Thanks Mike
Lakedog55
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 6:58pm
I took pages of measurements before I started the demo work, but did not use them much to be honest. It is easy to see where the stringers go down because there will be a groove that they fit into so the placement is not really an issue. There will be a definite line that shows the floor height all the way around the hull so here again you have a good visual indicator.

My boat did not have an engine cradle so the most critical measurement for me was the engine placement. From transom to tranny mounts and from log to tranny coupler were about the only measurements I used. I mocked up the floor in cardboard before cutting the plywood.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 8:18pm
Mike,
After some have had problems finding the Doug Fir, I suggested using LVL. We actually have one member who is using it but I haven't seen him post for awhile. I'll see if I can find it (or you can try too) by doing a search. He posted some pictures too.

A couple of cautions though. Order it without the weather coating or if that is a problem, make sure you do some aggressive sanding on the faces with the belt sander. Also, do to it being thicker, make sur you offset the extra to the outside so the distance between the mains is the same.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 8:27pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 5:51pm
Thanks for all of your guys help, The reading has been most interesting. We need a video. Anyway my question is what height of timber do you guys use? The talles measurement I have came up with is around 6 1/2, But that is with Glass on it and in the boat. I am wanting to order my wood so I have it. I also want to get a qoute on the lvl on monday.
Thanks Mike
Lakedog55
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 10:15pm
The skier took 2x8s for the mains and 1x6 for the secondaries. The SN is bigger so I would assume that the stringers would be at least this tall.

1973 Skier
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 7:32pm
Has anyone glued up there own lvl using 3/4 inch ply? I got a qoute for the fir for my secondaries and mains and a little extra for around 340.00 Does that sound okay?
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 7:34pm
When I pull this stringer deal off can I be upgraded to at least a groupie?
Mike
Lakedog55
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 7:53pm

Has anyone glued up there own lvl using 3/4 inch ply? I got a qoute for the fir for my secondaries and mains and a little extra for around 340.00 Does that sound okay?

Plywood will have some grain running in the weakest possible direction. For that reason it is not considered a good material for making stringers.

For $340 I would just go with the DF so you don't have to reinvent the wheel and have to wonder how well it is going to work.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 7:54pm

When I pull this stringer deal off can I be upgraded to at least a groupie?
Mike

Just a few more posts and your status will upgrade

1973 Skier
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2010 at 11:57pm
Okay guys The material is ordered no turning back now
order consisted of
2@2x8x14
1@2x8x8 offset for motor cradle
1@2x6x10 instead of installing a gap in the rear of the secondary
6@1x6x12 for secondary and other
1 2x4x8 for something ( will use this for banging my head on repeatedly)
If anyone is in Florida I found a a local company out of Leesburg, wood is supposed to be vertical clear Douglass fir purchase was made for $340.00 Will post pictures when wood arrives.
Thanks Mike
Lakedog55
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 9:58am
measure twice
"the things you own will start to own you"
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 3:42pm
Eric,
I hope I measured correctly. If not I will have some wood for sale at a very reasonable price.
Mike
Lakedog55
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2010 at 10:41am
I gotta set of bunkbeds for my children, I had to cut 3 pieces of plywood to hold up the mattresses, measured, cut them and went to fit them.....mf, 2 were an inch to long and the other was an inch to short...one of lifes mysteries
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic