NautiqueParts.com2025 Calendar Photos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SNOW

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 1:13am
Well I guess there's nothing to stop the wind between you and Colorado Steve.If it wasn't for you on the front lines out there that snow would be in my drive This is out my back door, while it doesn't look like much it is 3 steps down to ground level.I refuse to shovel it,it's like this the whole back of the house I even got to stay home today they said don't bother,thats just unheard of.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 1:42am
Colorado ... thats funny! I do wish you had just a "little bit" of this snow tho!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 1:49am
Billy by now you should know why the water is so cold in the summer I think I did get alot of your snow Steve,it took all 3 of us 5 hours to dig out just the drive.Too much for the tractor so it was with shovels and my flapper sno blower.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 1:54am
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

I need to take the hoe home tonight and do some pushin'. Time for the bigger hammer.

...and no one commented on this?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 2:26am
Gary, I cant even fathom the mess yall have up there. If our water did that I would have to move further south, sorry........
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 2:37am
thought the exact same thing Dude...

Gary; they told you to stay home?? NEVER heard of that in my over 33 years of climbing in the winter. Unheard of. Somebody is gonna be in trouble over that. I just can't believe it!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 2:54am
I was all set to go,but I thought I'd call in 1st at around 615.My manager who happens to have the duty this week say's "don't bother" we won't get anywhere anyway.Then after sunrise I manage to get out and see that I would have never even got out of my garage anyway,it was drifted over 2 ft in front of the garage and the snow at the street where they plowed was up to my waist.The wind was coming from the north right down the river and blowing all that snow right up into the yards. Look at all that excitement you miss
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 2:57am
One of the counties we work in didn't want anyone out driving except 1st responders and medical workers.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 3:04am
unbelievable...only way I'd wanna experiance would be riding in the right seat of the bucket truck!
Well actually ug wasn't bad..except for shovling snow looking for manholes.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 9:27am
As mentioned when I started this thread, we shut the plant down at 2:30 on Tuesday with the intent on starting up today at 6:00. Well, I'm here but parked in the front of the building (north side) where the drifting isn't too bad. All the rear entrances as well as the parking lots are drifted shut. Several of the doors I wanted to try to get into, I can't even see!!! Our plowing contractor is here trying to punch through but I have a feeling he won't have much success with the equipment he has. It's going to take a rather large front end loader to get the mess cleared to the point where we can open back up. The problem is finding one!!! I wish I had my camera.

The last time we had this mess, I was able to find a contractor with a front end loader but he proceeded to rip open one of our gas lines (high pressure) to one of the buildings. The fire dept. had a pumper here for 12 hours ready for the worst while the gas company dug up the street to cut off the line. No shut off for the service!!! At least the break was before the meter!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 11:43am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

I did a cosmetic resto on the 78 a few years ago to use as my personal work truck. Its the smaller of the 2 I built with the 400M in it. I built a 79 stepside with a 524" cobra jet motor for the summer months. I have an unatural attachment to my old stuff.

I should have had a better attachment to some of my old toys too, but, a few got away. The '68 will not be getting away.

By the way, is your 524" motor an FE block? Was it a 428 Cobra Jet to start with? I am a big fan of FE motors. I have a stock 390 in my truck. I wish I had a reason to rebuild it. I would like to do a Cobra Jet spec as well. It runs to good to even think about taking it apart.     

No its a 429 scj based stroker motor. the 78-9 likes the 429-460 motor swap better than the FE swap. my old 76 had a 390 out of an old t-bird swapped in that was quite a runner with the 3.89 rear end and a detroit locker in the rear and a limited slip in the front. that was fun. the motor was originally dual 4s and we swapped it to a single holley to make it a little more streetable. It was a highboy short bed, the front driveshaft was longer than the rear.
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 11:49am
The storm petered out by the time it got to us. We only got a foot, but there's more on the way this weekend and next week.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I'd wanna experiance shovling snow looking for manholes.

john

Sorry John, had to do it.
At least I didn't include the word "riding"
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

I need to take the hoe home tonight and do some pushin'. Time for the bigger hammer.

...and no one commented on this?

Just plow the wife in front of her garage really works. Time for the big hammer.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 4:07pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 8:16pm
The snow drifts are just crazy. This is a "high top" table. Knee high just to get to the sidewalk.

There isn't anywhere to even plow the snow.

I had strategically parked next to a van into the wind.

Shoveled behind the car and backed right out. There was more ice in the inside of the windshield than the outside.

Thanks to these.

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 8:35pm
Damn I am glad we missed all that! It was in the 60's here yesterday. The groundhog said winter is over.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 8:50pm
Hollywood, pretty crazy! I saw the pictures of the Chicago area on tdhe news last night...pretty wild! So, how does this storm rate compared to those of the past for most of y'all?

Here in OK, we broke or tied several records since Saturday.

Saturday - 76 degrees (Tied record high)
Tuesday - 12" of snow (Broke record)
Tuesday night - Forgot what the temp was but broke a record low temp

We've hit some single digits and just below zero with colder wind chills. Seems that is pretty cold for OK the way they talk. This particular storm kind of reminds me of living in South Dakota.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2011 at 11:41pm
Here are a couple more pics from yesterday... .. this is a pic of the maintainer coming up the road in front of our house ....

here is a side view of it between drifts....

I posted this pic yesterday... thougt it might put the drift size in perspective after seeing the side view of the plow....

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 12:04am
Some people are running out of room to store it. They used to haul it away and dump it in the ocean, but you can't do that any more.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 2:54am
its ok Tull.

Boy I sure am enjoying all these pictures..not as much as Kaps tho.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 4:26am
It's snowing here again! Four snow/school days in a row! I think I'm going to start putting bourban in thier juice boxes if they don't quit driving me crazy! You'd think I was back in New Fairfield!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 9:32am
Bruce, im curious, why cant they dump it in the ocean anymore?
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 9:51am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Bruce, im curious, why cant they dump it in the ocean anymore?

Eric,
You need a special permit from the EPA to dump snow into bodies of water. It's gotten very hard to get. They are concered about road salt (fresh water) oils and asphalt contamination.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 10:23am
Ah, I see said the blindman, but I would think it winds up there anyways.
I did see these bigtime snow melters with a diesel tanker firing them, you would dump the snow in a hopper and it would melt it and send the water down the storm sewers
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 10:25am
I wonder how the EPA feels about all of the fertilizers for that lush green grass that washes down into our pristinre lakes
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 10:37am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Ah, I see said the blindman, but I would think it winds up there anyways.
I did see these bigtime snow melters with a diesel tanker firing them, you would dump the snow in a hopper and it would melt it and send the water down the storm sewers

I've heard of those. Seems like they are a lot worse for the enviorment than dumping it in the ocean or a river.

I know some people that own a large excavation company. Like a lot of them around here, they plow snow in the winter. One of them was telling me, they no longer call it snow plowing, but now call it "snow management".
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 12:03pm
I drove by this yesterday while they were trying to pull it out. The driver said the ice was plenty thick except he hit a thin spot.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 1:12pm
Its more of the whole green thing gone mad. Cant dump snow in the ocean because there is road salt in the snow???? It is true there are other pollutants from the roads, however, the snow melts, it all goes down the storm drains, carrying zillions of tons of pollutants, dissolved and in suspension, and the storm drains all drain to rivers (even worse...fresh water) and the ocean anyway, and thats perfectly legal.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The driver said the ice was plenty thick except he hit a thin spot.

Wow guys I will never bitch about our winters again! I know this is an unusually large amount but seriously what would you do if not for all the machinery? To think our kids missed 4 days of school for like 3" that they rescheduled for our spring break.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic