NautiqueParts.com2025 Calendar Photos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SNOW

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Its more of the whole green thing gone mad. Cant dump snow in the ocean because there is road salt in the snow???? It is true there are other pollutants from the roads, however, the snow melts, it all goes down the storm drains, carrying zillions of tons of pollutants, dissolved and in suspension, and the storm drains all drain to rivers (even worse...fresh water) and the ocean anyway, and thats perfectly legal.

I backpack in the Smokey Mtns a few times a year and they are not allowed to salt the roads anywhere in the park. All of the native trout were dieing and since they stopped populations are bouncing back. Had a truck get snowed in at Newfound gap in December. Had to go back for it 2 weeks later 10 hour round trip.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Wow guys I will never bitch about our winters again! I know this is an unusually large amount but seriously what would you do if not for all the machinery? To think our kids missed 4 days of school for like 3" that they rescheduled for our spring break.

Its all about what you're used to.. Thank God we do have a lot of equipment, however,storms like this really DO test it! I think we take it in stride ...just part of the game. The afternoon the maintainer was trying to get thru, you should have seen the neighbors out to watch.. almost like a party!

Like they say when life sends you lemons, you make lemonaid. When life sends you snow, you make...snowmen!

look closely to the right( above the plow headlight) on top of the hill in the field...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 3:39pm
All the bad stuff you're talking about doesn't get quite that far. Around the lakes here you cannot use fertilizer containing phosphorus nor do they use conventional rock salt on the roads around the lakes. They do nothing or use sand. I'm sure there is an environmentally safe ice melter but it's probably not economically feasible.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 4:48pm
You drop a snowmobile through the ice and the EPA goes after you!! I have a friend that just went through the experience. It was deep so he spent some $$$ for a dive team to go down and get it the next day. I'm going to have to find out if he got a fine.

BYW, he was lucky and was with a group of people who were able to get him out of the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 5:53pm
My contribution. Stopped to take this the other night on the way home from the farm. High winds, fresh snow and open farm fields make for some nice blizzard conditions. Ended up driving the rest of the way home by moonlight. Quite an experience.

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 1:58am
Our kids had early release yesterday and no school today because we were EXPECTING snow and ice in Houston....and it never came! Crazy southerners! Low tonight should go just below freezing, but they're still saying 55 for a high tomorrow. Not taking the sport out tomorrow. Too cold.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 2:50am
I just downloaded some more pics of the storm from our other camera.

This set is looking west from the end of our driveway.. took almost two hours to get thru this section...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 10:26am
hollywoodie, what about the drainage ditches that drain into the lakes, the ones not near the lake? would this be a case of "Scotts" making large donations to fund the EPA? they closed off a section of our lake where the PPMs of Pittsburgh turds seem to be flowing in from the leach beds a couple miles away, plus add in all the exhaust from the boats...In August the lake gets a green slime which wasnt prevalant 20 years ago, my take is the fertilizers activating the algaes...I only goes as far as hanging over the side for relief anymore....I rarely get in this water. I have a hard time letting my kids get in there, but, alot will say they get the squirties after a day at the lake
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 10:56am
just an observation but right now the city of Chicago is taking some heat for not shutting down Lake Shore Drive sooner but I think all the municipalities did one heck of a job with this storm. Less than 24 hours after it ended one can barely tell what we went through. Everyone's going about their business like it weas just another snow storm.

I remember about 24" of snow back in Rhode Island in 1978 and we didn't see a snow plow for 5 days, I litterally remember standing in line at the corner bakery for hours waiting for a loaf of bread. The area was crippled for almost 2 weeks. All I can say is good job to everyone on this one, it was actually pretty fun. We laugh at 2' of snow now.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 11:45am
Steve, Those 'Maintainers' do have HEAT in them don't they!??
Do they run or are they 'guided' by GPS-- like some of the Farm Equipment out West?
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 11:50am
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Steve, Those 'Maintainers' do have HEAT in them don't they!??
Do they run or are they 'guided' by GPS-- like some of the Farm Equipment out West?

Marty, not only heat, but in the summer AC....

no GPS... LOTS of foot and hand controls! You need to run the throttle, ground speed, direction, AND TWO plows... the front "V" and the right hand wing plow!

more fun than any video game!

and the farmers here run GPS as well...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 12:01pm
Just a little Snow Humor for you guys!

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 12:15pm
I see a dark cloud heading this way....i spent the last 3 days welding up broken snow plows....
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 1:36pm
Enjoying the pics from everyone in the Midwest. Here in NY we are around 70" of snowfall this year, which is definitely challenging the towns with snow removal.

This is a cool toy they are using in my town to clean things up:

This is another entertaining video that pretty much sums up the chaos in NYC with the Christmas blizzard:

He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 2:01pm
I live in Fort Worth, just minutes from Cowboy stadium. It's odd that we have been iced in for the better part of a week, and seldom see any TX DOT vehicles sanding the roads. Seems sll the roads and parking lots are clear and dry around "Jerry's World" though.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 2:25pm
Alan,
Maybe my expectations are too high but I think most towns did a subpar job cleaning up major routes. Our street is clean but on my way to work thursday and still on my way home friday I came across some very poor road conditions. I did see one of the massive snowthrowers from 76tiques video opening up waukegan road's right lane and a few front end loaders cleaning up right lanes and corners. I am sure it is quite a task to manage all of this and for the most part everybody was able to get on with life about 24 hours later. I enjoyed my snow day, the first time our company has ever closed outside of Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Here are a few pictures.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 2:34pm
Kurt,
I agree that up in our area there still are some issues. The east west roads like Willow as of this morning still have their right lanes blocked in spots. I have not seen any signs of blowers or front end loaders clearing them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 7:01pm
I work with a guy who lives in Antioch,he says they got more snow than what they have in Barrington or Palatine area,plus you guys are closer to where the lake effect snow was greater.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

,plus you guys are closer to where the lake effect snow was greater.

Man, I'm glad we arent close to the lake..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

,plus you guys are closer to where the lake effect snow was greater.

Man, I'm glad we arent close to the lake..

Gary,
I thought the wind/storm came in from the NE and it wasn't a lake effect??
Steve,
Is your plow truck/plow OK? Lot's of broken equipment out there from trying to get through more than it was designed for!!! Did you stay moving or any problems with getting stuck? I did it a few times when I had the plow - try to "punch" a pile back and the blade pops up and over the snow bank!!!!! Then, that hard snow isn't easy to shovel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2011 at 11:59pm
Pete,
My truck is fine..(its a "Cheby" )... actually when I first started plowing Wed. night, it moved very easy.. just TONS of volume to move. I havent been stuck for years... usually that is a "rookie mistake". I'm sure it will happen again sometime (dont want to sound too cocky)

HOWEVER, the day after the snow, it was like plowing concrete. I use 500 lbs of sandbags just inside the tailgate, at the back of the box, for extra traction. It has never moved...until Thursday. When I got home from plowing that night, all of the bags were up front, at the bulkhead. That was from the abrupt stops when hitting the drifts.

The V plow is a definate advantage. I started plowing in 1978 using a straight blade with power anglers. Pretty much have used various combinations of this setup ,until 3 years ago when I bought the V

There is NO WAY I would ever consider anything but a V again. The added cost of the plow is returned in time savings. Plus it is easier on the truck.

heres a pic after plowing the "shallow" snow around my mailbox to keep the maintainer away!...

another right after getting the drive opened up...

I loved the storm!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2011 at 10:35am
once that lake freezes over, no more lake effect
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2011 at 11:13am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Pete,
I havent been stuck for years... usually that is a "rookie mistake". I'm sure it will happen again sometime (dont want to sound too cocky)

The V plow is a definate advantage. I started plowing in 1978 using a straight blade with power anglers.
There is NO WAY I would ever consider anything but a V again. The added cost of the plow is returned in time savings. Plus it is easier on the truck.

Steve,
The V blade sure is a advantage. I didn't have that luxery. A lot of my plowing experience was when I was out in Montana. If it didn't snow, there was always the wind that came down through the canyon producing plenty of drifts. This required having to plow my way out to get to work and then doing the same to get back to the house. I did hang up the front end a few times!! "Rookie" huh!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 3:24am
After two weeks without a flake we had about 14 inches again today with more possible overnight. I think Mike (wakeslayer) got it worse.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 3:57am
Its a windy one too. I decided I needed snow blower gas, took the 4 wheel drive dakota, I wound up taking the long way home on some unplowed streets, what fun!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 12:39pm
32 degrees and 1" of RAIN... :(
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 2:48pm
Dang...I'm not too far from you guys and it was 60° this morning when I let the dogs out. Spring is around the corner.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 10:20pm
   I wish we'd get more here if it isn't going to start warming up. I'm tired of looking at dirty, brown snowbanks. Plus, the snowmobiling is rapidly heading down hill....
   We had 3 weeks of Winter in late Jan, early Feb and then it shut right off (well, the snow did, not the cold)

Mike

ETA: Pete, a buddy of mine went thru the ice a few years ago, almost died. His wife saved him after he was in the water for 15 minutes. Pretty sure they gave him 48 hours to get his machines out(his daughters went in also, but she managed to jump off onto the ice). After 48 hours I think the fine is $100 an hour for every hour it sits there. FWIW, I think the fine was the last thing on his mind at the time

If anyone is interested HERE IS HIS STORY. Scroll down past the first five or so pics and read the copy of the "Ice Story". I work on this guys bike, have known him a long time and he is a great guy. He used to be a crazy mofo, no worries, party hard, wide open all the time, but was always the first person to offer help if you needed it. I have never seen anything change someones life like this did to him. This story was printed in Cat's Pride magazine as well shortly after it happened and is an excellent read about how quickly things can go south when snowmobiling on a lake.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 10:32pm
pbrainard what do you do??? i know its factory work but what do ya make
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 1:08am
He is one of the last employee's in the USA sewing the covers for O'Brian tubes.Quinner used to work with him,blowing up the tubes,but his job has recently been outsourced.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic