NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Snowboard?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

weight on your front foot, steer with your back foot (kind of like a rudder), easy on the sauce until your done for the day...
I like the rudder analogy, Ima use that...but when you say lay off the sauce, that's only until noon, right?

And I promised I'd give the youtube thing a shot, here goes. Try not to scrutinize my form too much, the end's really the fun part...you can tell by my sister's reaction. Unfortunately she cuts the camera off before I start to toss, cause that was not the fun part. At least I covered some distance before my re-entry.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 11:37pm
-1 man point for tossing in the pool. Motivation for everyone else to land it!   
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 11:51am
i'm not saying don't drink at all...just try not to get really drunk while you're still strapped in...bad things happen that way...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

-1 man point for tossing in the pool. Motivation for everyone else to land it!   
Ouch...I did eventually put it down, but it was after several equally frigid, but less spectacular crashes. Does that redeem me at all?

Another snowboarding question: how much strain does a snowboard put on your ankles, particularly on the lead foot? I ride left foot forward and I sprained that ankle about 6 weeks ago playing basketball, and then again last weekend playing football (if you haven't picked up on it already, I don't always make good decisions). Is this going to be a problem for me? Or do the boots provide some measure of support? Will I be able to fit a brace or wrap under them?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 2:02pm
Your ankles should be good. Snowboard boots allow no movement in the ankle area so I think you'll be fine.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 2:28pm
the only problem you might have is when you are "skating" around with only your front foot strapped it...just kick with your back foot BEHIND your board and be mindful of your front ankle and you should be ok...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 2:38pm
That's good news, thanks for the input guys. We take off for NY next Friday, I'll be sure to post pics and videos if we take any when I get back home.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 6:48pm
my advice is: get an instructor, let him give you the basic tricks etc, etc, believe me it will be money well spent, you don´t wanna end with a broken wrists after you caught and edge going front side!!!
1 hour is enough for the basics... then its practice...
I started skiing at the age of 7 in 1981 and went all the years to ski till in 92 i decided to give it try on the snowboard...got totally hooked with the sport and never again rode a pair of skis...
First time I tried I hired an instructor to help with the basic, and after 2 lessons i was doing the mountain alone..anyway I had a huge skiing experience..Of course I´ve had lots of bad falls..bruises in knees, butt, wrists..but fortunately no injuries. From time to time I would continue to take a lesson in order to improve some of the movements.
But lately I have put the sport on hold..wife, then kids make it kinda diffucult, mountain is not in the backyard as some of you guys do over there..I have to do a 600ml to get to the nearest ski resort here!!
I started wakeboarding in 1994...also after having been on a slalom ski since I was 9 or 10 yo...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:31am
I promised a recap, just took me a while to get the pics from my girl.

Here's what I learned: I am not good at snowboarding. Yet. I fell 36 times going down the hill the first time (yes, I counted), and nearly got kicked off the mountain by the ski patrol. We did start on Mardi Gras though, which turns out is by far the longest run in the park. By the time we were finished I was much better than when I started, but then again, my flask was also much emptier too. One of my falls was so violent that I broke the high-back off one of the bindings on my buddy's snowboard.

I spent most of my time on my toe-side edge, and found that I had a real problem with trying to transition to the heel-side. It will probably take me a few more trips to get good at switching back and forth between them. It rained all day Saturday, so we actually only made it out on Friday night, which was a little disappointing, but the crew I was with didn't let that get us down.

On to the pics.

Here's the crew right after we arrived at the house on Friday. I'm holding tha drunk stick, the trophy awarded to the individual who succeeds in getting the most drunkest the day before. This trip was its inauguration. It has since been to St Patty's Day, Indians Opening Day, and a B-Day bash in a hotel. I'm not even 100% sure how we took this picture, because everyone's in it.

This is the before shot, just getting laced up to hit the hill. You may notice that both bindings still have the high-back.

Here we are about halfway through the night, the gift shop gave me that ridiculous poncho/trash bag thing with Holiday Valley on the front of it to wear. I thought it would be hilarious to tell my friends I was so good at snowboarding that HV sponsored me and gave me the first thing they could find with their name on it. They didn't believe me. It was also real slippery and made my falls last longer. So bonus.

Our hero at the end of the night. Notice the missing high-back.

Well, not quite the end of the night, we still had business to handle in the hot tub.

Which of course led to snow angels.

And then Saturday it rained and we were sad. But we made up a drinking game to go along with the original Highlander movie. I'll give you a hint, something happened anytime someone said "There can be only one"

I think I'll stick to riding things I have to wear a life jacket for.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:47am
Oh yeah, and I won $50 in the squares game. There were 2 fake injuries and I had one of them.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 10:38am
Looks like a good time. And good beer. Yuengling......Mmmmm tasty. You cant buy that up around where i live.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 7:04pm
i like your snowboarding jeans...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 8:19pm
Those jeans are great, they're made by Jeep and have teflon fibers woven into the denim so they're almost 100% waterproof. I spent 75% of my time on the ground and my knees were the only part of me that got even a little wet.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 10:15am
teflon or not...nothing says I don't know what the f i'm doing like snowboarding in jeans

looks like you spent plenty of time in the hot tub though...which really is the most important part...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 12:22pm
oh don't worry, it was no secret that I didn't know what I was doing...I didn't make it off the lift a single time without falling.

the hot tub pretty much saved the weekend, without it I don't think the snow angels would have been possible.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic