NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Mustang Stringer Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 15>
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 11:34am
OK, I'll try Car Quest or Napa. What are my options if I can't find one?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 11:59am
Personally, I would go with a cream colored bilge, just like it was originally. US Composites sells all the tints you need- follow their instructions on how much to add and you'll be good. One warning: since the resin is clear, it will take several coats to cover. If you use tinted resin on the last coat of glassing on the mains, I would think that would be a big help. I also would not coat any remaining gelcoat that you left in the bilge with resin- Id either remove it before hand or gelcoat the bilge instead.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 1:13pm
Well I decided on the gray. Placed my order this morning. Thought about the cream but figured the gray would be a good neutral color. You can't hardly see bilge anyway once it's all together.

I ground off all of the old gelcoat. That stuff was a pain for sure. If I stick to my plan I'll have the stringers fiberglassed in this weekend, I'm sure USC will not get my tint to me tomorrow so I won't be able to tint my last coating unless I hold off on the biax till next week.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

OK, I'll try Car Quest or Napa. What are my options if I can't find one?

You could convert to a one wire internally regulated alternator. Not too expensive and really not hard to do.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 1:22pm
Almost forgot to ask one more question. I am taking my bellhousing to a welding shop today to have them look at welding the cracks on the engine mount clamps. I was going to have them sandblast the whole thing so I can go right to painting it. Is there any problem having them sandblast the aluminum?
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 1:59pm
No proublem if done rite, hows it going Vondy,
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 2:02pm
One more thing, cover the data tag with heavy tape prior to blasting.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Going good Jeff. Just ready to be done with this beast and get on the water. Maybe you should send one of those Separators down my way so I can take my time with the Mustang and still have a boat for the summer.

Yeah, I was going to emphasize the importance of protecting the tag. Wish I had a sandblasting setup at the house, that would come in very handy.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 2:34pm
Would this work if I needed to go to a new alternator?

Skidim

There's also a 61 amp on Summit but it's more expensive.

Summit

Not really sure how many amps I need...
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 2:59pm
Fairly sure the one from SkiDim is the one i put on the Mustang. It came with all automotive stuff on the motor so I had to replace anyway.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Going good Jeff. Just ready to be done with this beast and get on the water. Maybe you should send one of those Separators down my way so I can take my time with the Mustang and still have a boat for the summer.

Yeah, I was going to emphasize the importance of protecting the tag. Wish I had a sandblasting setup at the house, that would come in very handy.

David,

I can hook you up on the sand blaster. Takes a pretty good compressor though.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 5:42pm
David,
Give Billy/Karen a call at correct parts on the alternator. Yes, the 51 amps is fine for your boat without a major sound system in it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

David,

I can hook you up on the sand blaster. Takes a pretty good compressor though.

Yeah Jeff that's my problem. The lack of a compressor with enough CFMs to run one. I would not be able to justify the cost of one that large, unless I found it used for a great price.

Actually just got back from the welders, they did it while I waited so I did not have the blasting done. I'll just take the angle grinder and wire wheel to it.

You are still welcome to come by and take a look at the Mustang if you want.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
Give Billy/Karen a call at correct parts on the alternator. Yes, the 51 amps is fine for your boat without a major sound system in it.

Already emailed them Pete. Thanks.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 7:56pm
I'd love to David but I've been in a real push to get some things done with my own boat here lately. Just went by the TPWD in Garland, I wasn't far away but no time to stop. I would be careful using a wire wheel on aluminium. They can etch it really bad. Carb cleaner does wonders for removing paint from aluminium. I would try that.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 8:08pm
I have a sandblaster and yes definetely a good AC is needed..my 2hp 15gal tank can´t keep up...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 10:55pm
Im surprised that motor has that alternator and regulator on it David,what is your engine number? I thought my boat was older than yours. My engine number is 2611 and it has a Prestolite alternator with one wire.Now that I wrote this I looked in the HM book and see they have 2 alternators,Autolite and Prestolite.By the wiring diagram and the fact that you have a regulator, I'll bet you have an Autolite system. When I blasted my bellhousing,I took the serial tag off by tapping the rivits out from the back with a very small punch,the holes go all the way thru.I was able to reuse everything when done.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 11:03am
Gary my hull is 3103.

So I noticed something yesterday when the sun was hitting my boat just right. You can see the red gelcoat from the inside. This is where I ground away the gel on the inside of the hull so that I can bond floor to the hull. I don't think this is a problem but wanted to bring it up. It's not ground to the gel, there's still glass there.

Guess i'm going to have to get the side panels built too or else I'll have to look at this mess all summer. Does anyone know if there is foam under the vinyl on those panels? I never had them so I don't know.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 11:31am
Hay Vondy! are you going to remove the front lift eye support, it looks pretty bad.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 11:33am

Hay Vondy! are you going to remove the front lift eye support, it looks pretty bad.

Been debating that. Can't see me ever using the lifts but I would like everything to work like it should. I have not dug into the wood yet in there to see the condition. Looks like a pain to get out.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 11:35am
You should be alright on the red spots, and on my 67 stang the panels had no foam. hope this helps. jeff
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 11:35am
Back to the alternator for a second. Any thoughts on these?

ebay

They are quite cheap.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 11:39am
Are you going with a single wire? thay dont look bad, thx for the link i need one to.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 12:57pm

Are you going with a single wire? thay dont look bad, thx for the link i need one to.

Yeah since my regulator is out and apparently they are hard to come by, I would be getting the single wire.

Some of these are over 100 amps. Does that really matter? Do I need a certain range to charge my battery. I don't want to hurt anything and I'm a bit clueless here.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 1:37pm
I could see light through my hull when I had it all apart and it scared me, but that is normal. Without the gelcoat on the outside the hull would be practically see through.

You are moving along nicely!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

I could see light through my hull when I had it all apart and it scared me, but that is normal. Without the gelcoat on the outside the hull would be practically see through.

You are moving along nicely!

Thanks guys, makes me feel better. Should be finishing up the grinding this morning.

Think I have the amp thing figured out for the alternator. Another question though. Are alternators rotation specific? Guess they would be because of the cooling fan on front.

What do you all think about this one? alt looks to be a universal fit.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 11:35pm
Officially done grinding. All cleaned up and ready to go for tomorrow morning.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 6:09am
Looks like your having a party with that tent? boat looks awsome, if you need a template of the side panele let me know. jeff
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 11:31am
Thanks Jeff. Actually someone sent me a template a few years ago... now if I can only find it

Do you know what is used for the panel? I was thinking a thin ply.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 2:04pm
Mine are a thin marine grade ply not treated and dont forget to cpes them
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 15>
  Share Topic