NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debt

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 20>
Author
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Is this the same S&P that micalculated by two trilliion when downgrading the US credit rating?

And the same S&P that was rating toxic mortgages triple A during the financial collapse. Not sure how serious we can take these guys..
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 2:15pm
Yeah a decade of "full employment" driven by unprecedented government spending (much of it Military spending) and an inflated housing/building market driven by rising prices caused by artifically and historically low interest rates and deregulation in the finacial securities industry. All while watching the infrastructure crumble around us..

For every salaried employee that is shaved off the bottom of the cream you see dozens of hourly manufacturing employees laid off based on nothing more than time on the job.. and that isnt making a company stronger.

I can only of course comment on what I have seen personally.. but that is what I have seen personally hundreds of Manufacturing jobs lost then. At the same time we didn't let go a single person out of the engineering group, a cpuple of support groups we didnt replace salaried employees that left but we didnt cut any chaft. This summer we have actually lost hourly employees to competing manufacturing operations that to me shows growth. Yes the growth has been slow.. but all the companies are flush with cash and the growth is sustainable.. and that is a real difference than the free fall of a couple years ago.

The other thing not taken into account in those numbers is the real and actually decline in public employment over this time frame.. so the reality is we have been reducing the real size of all government after it was seriously expanded under bush.   Personally I dont have a problem with many of the conservative philosophys I just dont see how putting republicans in office has ever actually gotten any of them implemented other than tax cuts which don't seem to promote any real growth or investment and because they were never paid for with reductions in spending are adding debt at an alarming rate.

I also cant have any faith in big corporations or the billionaires to run the country in the best interest of anyone other than themselves.. I am too close to the belly of the beast and I know that these guys are short sighted and barely able to look out for thier own best interest.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

The other thing not taken into account in those numbers is the real and actually decline in public employment over this time frame.. so the reality is we have been reducing the real size of all government after it was seriously expanded under bush.   \

That is true. 500,000 fewer gov't jobs compared to when Bush was in office.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 12:12am
The divide between the haves and have nots got narrowed by about two trillion dollars this week. I am sure the social justice crowd must be thrilled. Funny thing is the have nots are no better off, probably worse. We can at least see if taking money out of the hands of the rich changes their spending habits. My bet is if it lasts, less will trickle down and we will all be worse off.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:18am
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

It will be interesting to see how your argument fairs in the next two weeks, after the recalls.....he he he he he

Are you still giggling?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 3:35am

It will be interesting to see how your argument fairs in the next two weeks, after the recalls.....he he he he he

Are you still giggling?

Yeah, still giggling...albeit not as much. My sons just received a new wakeboard and that helps my giggling. Now I will be up tonight trying to figure out how to teach them how to use it and not watching an election.

Whomever it was that sparked that original comment,(I have not looked back), made it out that the Republicans were going to hold on to all seats.   The Dems took 2 Tuesday, 2 on the prior election, and there is still another election next week. So that it pretty good.
Glad the Republicans wee able to come off there ill gotten cash to support their candidates and send the cash to Wisconsin.

The important race they lost between Darling and Pasch, was pretty close especially considering the district history, Darlings 16 year history(more on that in a minute), and her large support network,READ Koch brothers.

Yea, Darlings 16 year history, all the republicans could follow the suggestions they say, some even in this very topic, about term limits. Funny how term limits only apply when they are convenient.

That just goes to show how valuable these seats are to them. It was estimated around 30 million was dumped into the campaigns. For what it is worth, I am sickened by both parties in this whole thing. How can a senate seat be worth this much? That was not a question, because we all know why.

I also think it will be lesson to the Dems who will fight for the recall of Walker. I cannot imagine the chaos that is going to bring to this state.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 6:54am

The divide between the haves and have nots got narrowed by about two trillion dollars this week. I am sure the social justice crowd must be thrilled. Funny thing is the have nots are no better off, probably worse. We can at least see if taking money out of the hands of the rich changes their spending habits. My bet is if it lasts, less will trickle down and we will all be worse off.

Not sure I follow your logic.

If the two trillion dollars is mostly from cuts, how exactly does that narrow the divide between the have and have nots?

The cuts are not coming from the "haves". And there was nothing given to "have nots".

So by my way of understanding, that makes the divide larger than it was. Did I miss something in the budget that taxed or took from the rich and gave to "have nots"?

With respect Overmyhead, do you really understand the "budget deal"?
Please don't tell me you have fallen for the talking points from a fellow conservative.
I could go into detail about the deal, but I suppose some here would think it was tainted coming from a 'Madison liberal" such as me, because I have read it completely.   

For all that blither about a balanced budget amendment, there is something in there just for you too.

While there are no new taxes in this bill, there are plenty of spending cuts, but no specifics, and mostly well into the future.

Now explain, how this is going to narrow the "divide"

If a large company dumps a ton of crap into your beloved lake or river,

The liberal democrat will say, Have the government clean it up.

The conservative republican will say, Look at all the jobs said company provides, we'll forgive them completely and declare them not responsible.

The progressive will say, Have the Company clean it up.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 9:52am

Not sure I follow your logic.

I shoulod have been more clear, I was being a little sarcastic. The left loves to see the rich punished, and we lost two trillion in value off the stock market this week, So the gap has been narrowed betwen the rich and the poor (we know only the rich own stocks ). I am serious about it being a little lab experiment on trickle down economics if it lasts. I work for the rich, I work on homes valued up to 12 million dollars. When the rich are spending I work 50 hour weeks, when they are not I work 24 to 32 hours weeks. You can imagine how that affects what I spend, what I give, and what I pay in taxes. Trickle down economics does work, maybe not enough to narrow the gap between the rich and poor in a way that makes the left happy, but enough to seriously effect the low and middle classes.

On the recall, I am afraid we opened a huge can of worms and not just in Wisconsin. I have always seen the recall option as an extreme measure limiting the power of government, so we dont have politicians voting themselves kings with lifetime terms and unlimited power. Wisconsin has now said If you are elected by a majority and are doing what that majority asked you to do poltically (Kind of the whole point of our system) we will recall you for ideological reasons. Voter turnout was lower for the recall than it was in the 2010 elections, so a smaller pool of voters used the recall to over rule a larger pool, not to mention the expense and distraction that occured. The door is now open wide for this to be used by both sides. I am afraid it will make it even harder for our elected representatives to make the hard but correct decisions. Imagine if your kids could recall you because they were unhappy with their allowance or bed time. How would that effect how you run your household? Would that really be in your kids long term best interest? Minnesota has far higher hurdles for recall, and I think that is wise.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 10:08am

If a large company dumps a ton of crap into your beloved lake or river,

The liberal democrat will say, Have the government clean it up.

The conservative republican will say, Look at all the jobs said company provides, we'll forgive them completely and declare them not responsible.

The progressive will say, Have the Company clean it up.

In this example there are existing laws governing the dumping of crap. anyone can sue and in this manor those that did the harm pay those that were harmed. you are correct the liberal answer is always to create more government , take from those who had nothing to do with the situation, and do the clean up as they see fit, not neccesarily in the best interst of those effected. The conservative will not forgive everything but is smart enough know the difference between PCP(nasty man made chemicals) and carbon dioxide which is exhaled by every breathing thing on earth and neceesary for plants which convert it back to oxygen. Conservatives will want to make sure the deffinition of crap is legitimate, and we dont believe every rich person needs to pay for the deeds of everyone else. The progressives are absolutely correct so long as the rules were not changed mid stream. If the government and society are ok with a disposal method (like open sewers that were common hundreds of years ago, or the land fills we use today) Then a company should not pay for damage done decades ago using acceptable practices for the time.
1987 Ski Nautique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 10:22am
Dave, why should you sacrifice, you make it sound as if you dont work as hard as the rich folk, historically the rich feed off of the poor like sharks, you have a kind spot in your heart for them,
I dont get you sometimes, if we had a country full of Warren Buffets i would agree with your points, but most of the rich (like Madoff) swindled deals, shook hands to become rich, the rich dont blab, one of their handshakes could be a million dollar deal, but they sure the fck dont want to pay the tax on that milly...the rich are rich for a reason and its not from a hard days work
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 10:24am
clippin them for 35% sure as hell to me is not punishment, it just means that cant afford a 4th home
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 10:26am
you think as how they want you to think
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 11:29am
I am glad you brought up the stock market. I do not know if you ever watch MSNBC, it's ok if you do , I watch FOX
But anyway Dylan Ratigan made a very good point about the financial system in the United States. I am starting to think we are all enslaved to the stock market, and it isn't the republicans fault just as it isn't the democrats fault, but more of a mutual thing that somehow brought us to this point of, well, the brink really.

I won't paste it all here but I encourage you to read it. It probably is one of the better pieces I have read, and it isn't your typical liberal biased crap. If we all could think in this way for just a year or two, things might just change.   I am far to jaded to think it could actually happen but a good read anyway.

OK, enough of the touchy felley stuff, I got a car to fix, then off to the lake for wakeboard lessons... Dylan Ratigan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 11:37am
Eric, I believe in individualism, I dont judge a group by its worst members, ( what would I think of mechanics if this were the case) we have a criminal justice system based on fair trials, we have civil courts to monetarily compensate for wrong doing, again based on a fair trial, and we have a tax system to raise revenue to operate our government. I dont like to see these systems mixed, and I dont like it when on group is judged and sentenced to punishment, without a trial, by our tax code.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:31pm
believe me, im all for due process, do we need to use OJ, Martha, even that that beoch that killed her kid as examples, if it was one of us ants we would be rotting in jail...the reason Madoff is sitting in jail is because he stole the rich mans money plain and simple.
if due process worked the way it was designed, i dont think we would be discussing it, once again in the favor of the rich. look at that Lindsey Lohan beeoch..its all about the money
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:38pm
I am glad a real conservative canaidate is going to run. The texas governor, Rick Perry.

He will be the front runner
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:45pm

I am glad you brought up the stock market. I do not know if you ever watch MSNBC, it's ok if you do , I watch FOX
But anyway Dylan Ratigan made a very good point about the financial system in the United States. I am starting to think we are all enslaved to the stock market, and it isn't the republicans fault just as it isn't the democrats fault, but more of a mutual thing that somehow brought us to this point of, well, the brink really.

I won't paste it all here but I encourage you to read it. It probably is one of the better pieces I have read, and it isn't your typical liberal biased crap. If we all could think in this way for just a year or two, things might just change.   I am far to jaded to think it could actually happen but a good read anyway.

OK, enough of the touchy felley stuff, I got a car to fix, then off to the lake for wakeboard lessons... Dylan Ratigan

Your right. That is a good piece. A damn good piece and it puts the blame on both the dems and repubs. Ever see Charles Ferguson's inside job?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:54pm
so where did the 2 trillion go from the last 10 days?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:56pm
ski, ive had it with Texas politicians, now maybe if that prison warden over there in arizonia were to run, i love his vacancy sign lit up above the prison
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

I am glad a real conservative canaidate is going to run. The texas governor, Rick Perry.

Yep, right up your alley. A holly rolling science denier.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

so where did the 2 trillion go from the last 10 days?
I dont know but some of it found its way back today. I suspect a share of it represents the market adjusting for the money the fed has printed.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 8:50pm

clippin them for 35% sure as hell to me is not punishment, it just means that cant afford a 4th home

Eric, its all fine when it is someone else, especially someone you dont care for, but it sets the precident that they can do what they want. when they figure out there are not enough rich to pay the bills it will be you and I paying that 35%. Just watch.
1987 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 9:17pm

ski, ive had it with Texas politicians, now maybe if that prison warden over there in arizonia were to run, i love his vacancy sign lit up above the prison

1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

Yep, right up your alley. A holly rolling science denier.

A serious

I imgaine u fkers will vote for Obama the "Magnificent" again..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 9:26pm
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 9:28pm
Aint that the truth
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 2:32am
Newt looked sharp tonight.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 4:35am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Newt looked sharp tonight.

I am not sure what to think of Newt. He has good ideas, and I was really pulling for him when he got in the race, but, when he threw Paul Ryan's budget plan under the bus a couple of months ago on one of the Sunday morning talk shows, that pretty much did it for me. It made me wonder if he would be a reliable conservative and be there when you really need him.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 9:10am

Yeah, surely he'll have ideas we have never heard before.....

What about Bachmann? All democrats could use the entertainment again during the election.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 9:19am

Eric, I believe in individualism, I dont judge a group by its worst members, ( what would I think of mechanics if this were the case) we have a criminal justice system based on fair trials, we have civil courts to monetarily compensate for wrong doing, again based on a fair trial, and we have a tax system to raise revenue to operate our government. I dont like to see these systems mixed, and I dont like it when on group is judged and sentenced to punishment, without a trial, by our tax code.

Such a moot point,    has it not been established the rich do not pay taxes proportionately to their income nor the lower income brackets.

Damn, it is just the opposite. The rich get to evade taxes with loopholes and havens, and never pay the price poorer folk do if they do not pay taxes

Do you realize you arguing against your own best interest, as well as your family and more than likely your friends too?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 20>
  Share Topic