NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debt

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 20>
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 3:39am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

Do you realize you arguing against your own best interest, as well as your family and more than likely your friends too?

You hand me this when I am late for work. hold this thought and I will respond tonight.

You have highlighted the problem. Everybody is out for thier own best intrests. The politicians,the government employees and the voters. We have voters who vote based on what they want today, we have politicians legislating based on gaining personal and party power. We have a non-productive class willing to sell their votes for handouts. I want this country run based on what is right, not for me but for everyone now and more importantly in the future. I dont vote for me, I dont argue politics for me. I dont want my leaders to worry about what my personal interests are, or my friends, we are doing OK. Decisions need to be made for the country we want to have in the future. I want to make sure it is still here and still great for my grandchildren. I am not at all confident it will be right now. To me it is about a service mentality. I was a 911 paramedic for almost 25 years. I worked 24 hour shifts, and was scheduled 56 hours a week. I responded to bar fights, shootings, stabings, accidents on ice covered roads, transported unrestrained schizophrenics and manic depressives. The job did not pay well and was not really in my best interest a lot of the time. I am sure it contributed to the demise of my first marriage. Still I loved it. I loved being a servant. It was about participating in something bigger than me. I own my own business in a service profession. My work is in the top 10% of my industry but I price myself 20% below the industry rate. This is not in my best interest, but I make a fair profit. For me it its about service and treating others as I would like to be treated. If I am ever rich I dont want to be discriminated against by a greedy government and a voting population that says I need to pay my fair share so that they dont have to pay thiers. If I am every poor I dont want someone to give me a comfortable handout for life, I want them to kick me in the butt and say go out and earn your keep. And they will be right. If we would all just stop worring about our own best interest, it would be in our best interest.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 6:25am
Yeah, exactly, almost, with some clarification. That was the Dylan Ratigan piece I posted a page back or so, everybody is out for their best interest without a common goal. I think the "debt deal" was a true "set up" for Obama. Here is why. The deal allows Obama to increas the debt, on his own accord, and with Congress approval other times. So now when he or they do increas it, the Republicans can jump all over it. I can see the headlines now "Obama raises debt again". Republicans should have the pie on their faces as they approved the deal, when they wanted nothing to do with a raise in the first place. Politcal gamesmanship at it's finest.

Let's face it we all want a job that will provide for our families. You and I both know they do not exist right now. I do not think there really is a huge amount of folks out there who just want to get a handout for the rest of their lives, there are some I know.
I'd bet if you offered many of those folks a choice;
- Get welfare etc, live in an apartment, never earn enough to save a bankroll.
Or
- Keep a job, earn a living, earn a retiremnet etc.

Most would chose the later. The economy just isn't supporting those jobs now. Many reason for this, but is all the peoples fault? not likely. So what happens to those people in the mean time?
You started your own business, congrats, but let's face it, most cannot do that. They need a job.

Republicans think lowering the taxes will create those jobs. They think the taxes are too high to make any profit. But we see in the news all the time of the current record profits, and you admitted here many rich never pay any actual taxes because of the loopholes and havens. The Bush tax cuts were supposed to create all these jobs too.

SO WHERE ARE THE JOBS LOW TAXES BRING?

There are some qualifiers to the above statements, because we are competing as a nation with other countries that can, and do produce for less than we can, but that cannot be used in the argument as there costs of living are so much lower.

When I say you are arguing against your best interest, meaning you backing the current Republican party, you really are. There are so many examples of Republican contradictions I cannot understand why you cannot see it. If you are not ULTRA RICH, the current republican party isn't for you, not that turning into a liberal is.
The contradictions are like spotting a snowflake in a blizzard.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 11:04am
do some reading on Romney's accumulated wealth, 250 million, all inside information just like that bitch Martha....its fcn illegal, typical fcn righty activity...they sway *************** for personal gain.
come-on, stem cell research????? he profited and i would bet created some of the shelters he's hidind his money in
lets vote that a-hole in
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 11:05am
i feel so sorry for him, he shouldnt be taxed on that money, maybe when it hits a half a billion, then we'll tax em
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 11:39am

Let's face it we all want a job that will provide for our families. You and I both know they do not exist right now. I do not think there really is a huge amount of folks out there who just want to get a handout for the rest of their lives, there are some I know.
I'd bet if you offered many of those folks a choice;
- Get welfare etc, live in an apartment, never earn enough to save a bankroll.
Or
- Keep a job, earn a living, earn a retiremnet etc.

Most would chose the later. The economy just isn't supporting those jobs now. Many reason for this, but is all the peoples fault? not likely. So what happens to those people in the mean time?
You started your own business, congrats, but let's face it, most cannot do that. They need a job.

Republicans think lowering the taxes will create those jobs. They think the taxes are too high to make any profit. But we see in the news all the time of the current record profits, and you admitted here many rich never pay any actual taxes because of the loopholes and havens. The Bush tax cuts were supposed to create all these jobs too.

SO WHERE ARE THE JOBS LOW TAXES BRING?

There are some qualifiers to the above statements, because we are competing as a nation with other countries that can, and do produce for less than we can, but that cannot be used in the argument as there costs of living are so much lower.

When I say you are arguing against your best interest, meaning you backing the current Republican party, you really are. There are so many examples of Republican contradictions I cannot understand why you cannot see it. If you are not ULTRA RICH, the current republican party isn't for you, not that turning into a liberal is.
The contradictions are like spotting a snowflake in a blizzard.

The jobs are not here because of uncertainty. Talk to any business owner, they work on 1/3/5 year business plans, Obamma came in with change as his agenda. Business in general hate change, it paralyses them because they cannot plan for an unknown. This administration is adding new regulation on a weekly basis, it demands new revenue sources, and it extended unemployment out to two years. that extension lead to an over ten fold increase in the cost of unemployment to businesses. In that case alone they are forced to pay for people to sit at home providing the company no bennifit. How is the cost calculated? by the number of people they employ, hire someone and you have to pay a bigger chunk of the money paying people to do nothing. It is pretty common for those on unemployment to not start looking for a job until there down to about three weeks in bennifits. I spoke with a construction worker who was bummed out to be called back only three months after being laid off. his wife worked and he figured staying home saving daycare was about even with his income from working. he preferred staying home. Did you notice when obama took office he hired 2000 new IRS investigators but not 2000 welfare fraud investigators. Many choose to not be productive. Mostly because they live just good enough. It is a little too easy and too comfotable to not work.

I call myself a conservative, not a republican. There is of course corruption on both sides of the isle. Politicians are bought and paid for by the rich on the right and the unions on the left. But the whole class warefare thing is a slick marketing campaign. Fact is people on welfare and unemployment don't build factories, invest in the economy, or create jobs when they get their checks. Guitner will try to tell us each dollar the unemployed get goes directly into the economy but he forgets where the governments money comes from. It takes $1.30 out of the economy in the form of unemployment insurance to put that dollar back in. The Govenmnet takes its 30 cents for administration. What does the left get for this investment. Voters. The fact is the rich are paying our taxes, and no one thanks them. They just complain that they dont pay enough.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 11:46am
Obama in response to the criticism he is taking on not leading in the debt crises said the system is broken (Not his fault). When Obama took over Goverment Motors he said their systems where broken, complained about their Ceo's flying on private jets, taking lavish vacations, so what was his fix? Fire the CEO who for bad leadership of the system. I say we follow his lead. Obamas spoksman said this week that Ob ama will not rest untill the economy is fixed. Then Obama took Airforce one to Marthas vineyard to stay in a 20 million dollar mansion. The US has a failed CEO, It is time to fire him.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 11:55am
in hindsite, hiring those IRS bastards was a good thing, only from personal experience, i believe they collected 590 million in back taxes, to me thats a solid business plan
as for the welfare thing, I look at it this way, its paid protection and a necessary evil, its like drugs, if you dont have them the crime rate goes up and they will only bog down the penal system which is now at about a 200% capacity.
we dont need a third world gunslinging nation, you have to take care of the poor or the end result would be devastating, with every action there is a reaction...i dont think the government looks at the welfare as a way to keep the poor fed, they look at it as keeping the poor under control
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 5:21pm
Hows that working in England?
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 7:35pm

[/QUOTE]

The fact is the rich are paying our taxes, and no one thanks them. They just complain that they dont pay enough. [/QUOTE]

There lies the problem...

The rich aren't paying taxes, I think you may have even said it yourself in this thread. Loopholes and havens.

The poor aren't really paying taxes...

That leaves the middle class. YOU. You and I pay the majority of the tax, but we are the majority.

So let me get this straight. You now want services taken from those who cannot afford to purchase them by themselves, tax them.    But let the rich go as they are? Ooops, you also want your taxes lowered, as well as lowering it for the already lowest in history taxes for the rich?

This is where it is against your best interest. Sort of like picking on the little guy in school.

Eric is right, when you remove services for the poor, you end up paying for those services anyway. Jail, ER's. and the like are very expensive. If the rich ever calculated the cost of providing jails this would become the new talking point. They don't care aabout ER's because they already have health insurance and it is a pittance payment to them.   Except where they have to make a contribution to the employees insurance, then it bugs them.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 7:46pm
Your example of the construction worker above is nice....

Isn't it screwed up when two working people in the household, one works simply to cover the cost of daycare so they can work?

Or you could say that construction worker, works, just to cover his work.

Yeah, and peter piper picked a pail of pickled .......

But yet, he still pays taxes, and went back to work when asked.

Did you tell him you are a member of a forum, and on the forum you are trying to make an argument where folks like him are abusing the system, and you'd rather not see others like him receive unemployment benefits?

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 11:02pm

The fact is the rich are paying our taxes, and no one thanks them. They just complain that they dont pay enough. [/QUOTE]

The rich aren't paying taxes, I think you may have even said it yourself in this thread. Loopholes and havens.

That leaves the middle class. YOU. You and I pay the majority of the tax, but we are the majority.

[/QUOTE]

I honestly dont know where you get your source or cross reference your opnionion, because it is way off there bro. For your information, the rich run this country. Capatilism.

People like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, the Walton Family, Michael Dell, Forrest Mars, Phil Knight, Abigail Johnson. Peps like this pay 70% of our country's taxes. But they do get more right offs than middle class but they pay the majority.

Go to United States taxes.org/gov and you get some interesting facts there
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 11:05pm
Dave when I get to sucking down these cold coors lights I get angry and very passionate about my country when these lefties are our really out in left field.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 1:44am
Hey Lee, I have said it before, I admire Your passion and dedication, I just think sometimes you lose sight about what CCfan is about. There is a time and place to take no prisoners, The time might be now,I just dont feel this site is the place.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 2:17am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

in hindsite, hiring those IRS bastards was a good thing, only from personal experience, i believe they collected 590 million in back taxes, to me thats a solid business plan
as for the welfare thing, I look at it this way, its paid protection and a necessary evil, its like drugs, if you dont have them the crime rate goes up and they will only bog down the penal system which is now at about a 200% capacity.
we dont need a third world gunslinging nation, you have to take care of the poor or the end result would be devastating, with every action there is a reaction...i dont think the government looks at the welfare as a way to keep the poor fed, they look at it as keeping the poor under control

Eric, so what you are saying (and one wheel seems to agree) is that if the poor are left to their own devices they are just a group of thugs and extortionists who only behave if they are paid to? That is a pretty harsh view of humanity form the party of compassion. Dispite the evidence of recent events in London supporting your viewpoint, I feel people are people and the poor are for the most part good people in bad circumstances. Our current policys incent them to be idle. We give them enough to make entry level employment unattractive, and If they go out and earn a little money they are punished by guickly losing the services they rely upon. It almost seems like someone or some party is bennefiting from a permanant class of dependant voters and is determined to keep them there.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 3:09am

[/QUOTE]

One wheel (My name is Dave by the way, could you give us a first name in yor profile? In my head I call you one wheel short of a bicycle and then edit it down for responses, but that really is not fair, you seem pretty smart and articulate, even if missinformed. ). I am growing tired of having to make the same argument against your false claims. I know your mind is made up and you dont want to be confused by the facts, but your too much democrat coolaid politics of envy "facts" just are not true. To say it again, the IRS says that top 1% of earners (Even after loopholes and havens) pay 40% of the taxes, the top 5% pay 60%. That is straight fact from the IRS, not a blog or conservative source. Soooo repeat after me the rich pay taxes, the rich pay taxes. The evidence you site about what multinational corporations pay in taxes is irrelavent. As your side made very clear this week corporations are not people, and thus have no concept of rich. Again the tax rates for people who can be rich are above and the rich pay taxes. I am with you that it is not right that our legislators have written advantages into the laws for certain players in the economy. But still the rich pay taxes, some who own corporations pay twice, first on corporate earnings and then again when it becomes personal income.

As far as tax rates being the lowest in history, we are currently at about 35% for the top bracket, in 1916 it was 15%, 1929 the top bracket was 25%, 1988 33%, 1992 31.9%.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 3:58am
Ok, my turn, hold that thought.

I soo bad want to answer this point you have proposed, but I am on break right now in a poker tourney, and there just isn't enough time.

My name is Seth, I'll edit profile on Sunday after I return from the lake.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 4:10am
Seth, watch out at the poker table. You could end up rich .
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 10:20am

Ok, Dave.   I'm back from the poker table, and I did do well, not enough to become rich.

It's fitting I was playing poker tonight, well I play almost every night, for this topic but more on that a little later.

I understand you are getting a little tired of repeating the same “facts” over and over. But the thing is, I agree with you on the information you quoted from the IRS.gov website. It does say what you proclaim about income taxes, there I said it. But the last bit where you quoted a range of years, you did not quote the Clinton years, which was I think, 39.5%. Ironically that was also a time of huge growth.
As a side note, those are “effective rates” not “marginal rates” which is important to note.

Here is the great half truths to your argument, and being a small business, you should know this, or ask your tax man about it. I too used to own a small company, and how I put this together. Opps, real quick before I get started. You claim unemployment benefits just make people want to sit home and collect. You own a business right, just put an ad in the newspaper asking for help, one position available. How many responses to that think you'll get? I'd bet you'll get plenty, and many of them might just be the ones collecting unemployment. People want to work, and the amount of responses you get would verify that.

When you state the tax rates you are only stating half of the fact and I think it is because you are just restating the “talking points” we all hear too often .

Here is my understanding to how the rich pay little to no taxes in proportion to their actual wealth. Stay with me.
STEP ONE

First, conservatives and republicans cite that around 50% of Americans pay no income taxes. That an outright lie, unless you include the retired, disabled, young, etc. All working folks pay into FICA, which is about 15.5%. including the 50% the employer contributes. These would be paid to said employee otherwise. In reality, with the accounting charges, fees and penalties it brings the figure to around 17% of gross wages. For most this makes up the largest portion of direct income taxes.
BUT, since this is considered an INVESTMENT in their future, and NOT in the republican figures, even though the gov, borrows against them from Social Security and Medicare.

STEP TWO, (I'm jumping around a bit here, but stay with me)
The republican idea of trickle down economics does make a certain bit of sense. By granting the rich tax breaks they are free to invest in job creating projects. If the government taxes away their income, from where will new jobs come? Republicans argue that only the government will be able to provide them, and we certainly do not need more government. And why Rommey's statement of “corporation are people” comes into play right about now.

This is the republican's idea of the truth;

Under American tax law, the standard corporation involves double taxation. The corporation as a legal entity pays taxes on its own income. Then, when it makes distributions to shareholders those distributions are taxed again as capital gains but not at the same rates as people who earn wages, nor subject to FICA taxes. Similarly, the C corporation pays taxes on its income, then pays its officers and directors, who, in turn, must pay income taxes on the money they receive in wages from the C corporation. As a result, a closely held corporation (one owned by just a few stock holders, usually a family), is arguably unfairly taxed since the income is taxed twice: once when it comes into the corporation as profit and again when disbursed to the corporate owners.

The real truth is this;

Tax breaks for wealthy individuals only makes those individuals more likely to take profits out of any corporations they control, and they do not make that withdrawal with the intent of creating more jobs but of avoiding taxes. Very high marginal tax rates on the wealthy forces them to keep the corporate profits within the corporation where there is nothing to do with that capital except to find ways to reinvest it profitably, thereby creating jobs. As a result, low corporate tax rates for domestic corporations combined with high marginal rates for the wealthy is the true job creation. Low corporate tax rates attract corporations to invest in manufacturing in the United States, while high marginal tax rates for wealthy individual taxpayers forces them to continue to reinvest in the American labor force. Since we are supposed to have a progressive tax rate, even wealthy taxpayers can control their tax rate by simply taking less from the lightly taxed corporation.

Step three, back to FICA,

When it comes to FICA taxes it is important note that the taxpayer only pays FICA taxes on the first $106,800 earned in a tax year. All earnings after that amount of yearly income is reached are free of FICA taxation. This makes FICA tax extremely regressive and very favorable to the highly paid executive or professional. Moreover, regardless of financial status, upon reaching the age of eligibility, whether one be a billionaire or a pauper, one is equally entitled to his or her social security and Medicare, despite the fact that as a percentage of income the pauper paid 20% of his entire income on FICA while the billionaire may have paid as little as .001% of his income. The obvious way to reform Social Security and Medicare to protect their viability is to remove this arbitrary limit which has been imposed to protect the wealthy wage and salary earners in America, and to simultaneously means test the receipt of Social Security and portions of Medicare.

In their many misleading pronouncements about taxation, the Republicans and Democrats also ignore the glaring discrepancy between the income tax paid on the wages and salaries of workers who must actually do hard or difficult physical or mental labor every day of their lives and the capital gains taxes paid on income derived from investment in stocks, bonds, land, and other transferable assets. Currently, the capital gains tax, a tax which applies mostly to only the wealthy, runs between 0% on qualified investments up to a maximum of 15%. The hedge-fund manager, stock broker, or wealthy coupon clipper invested in municipal bonds, pays a mere 15% capital gains tax at most on his or her yearly income despite the fact they are not directly involved in working and creating anything of value at all. While all logic suggests that the hard working wage earner should pay the lower tax rate, it is in fact the class that works the least that enjoys the benefit of the lowest tax rates. Finally, to ultimately cap off the injustice of the capital gains tax as compared to the income tax we find that the FICA tax does not apply to capital gains.

And the last step;
Inheritance, or death tax, as Republicans have renamed it, closes out the list as the crown jewel of Republican half-truths. They argue the fundamental injustice of taxing the passing of wealth from one generation to another since the assets passed were presumably taxed when the decedent first earned them. This is double taxation, they urge. Ignoring the point that double taxation occurs all of time to lesser folk, the inheritance tax is, in fact, designed to capture a tax upon value that has never been taxed before at all. How could that be? Because the inheritance tax is designed to capture the increase in the value of the assets the decedent held throughout his or her life from the time of acquisition until the time of inheritance, just as if the decedent had sold the asset and realized a capital gain. For example, if I buy 10,000 shares of X Corp at $10.00 per share, my basis in those shares is $100,000. Ten years later I die leaving my X Corp shares to my son. The shares are now worth $50.00 per share. 
My son receives untaxed income in the amount of $500,000, of which only the original $100,000 of value was purchased with taxed funds. While it is possible to make a weak argument that the first $100,000 of the inheritance should not be taxed, as this is double taxation, (even though the government is taxing two distinct people on two distinct transactions), no justification exists for not taxing my son on the capital gain of $400,000. The inheritance tax is not on death, but on the exchange of capital, which is nearly always a taxable event. Since the Republicans have been able to effectively eliminate the inheritance tax through the misleading argument that it is a tax upon death and double taxation, fortunes in lost revenues have passed between the generations which never saw the tax man's blade at all. Current law provides for a $5,000.000 tax credit on the front of an inheritance, and trust law allows the wealthy to skirt any remainder of the estate right around any tax law that might otherwise generate revenue from this completely untaxed transfer in value.

Did any of this make sense?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 10:44am
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

The fact is the rich are paying our taxes, and no one thanks them. They just complain that they dont pay enough.

[/QUOTE]

I honestly dont know where you get your source or cross reference your opnionion, because it is way off there bro. For your information, the rich run this country. Capatilism.

People like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, the Walton Family, Michael Dell, Forrest Mars, Phil Knight, Abigail Johnson. Peps like this pay 70% of our country's taxes. But they do get more right offs than middle class but they pay the majority.

Go to United States taxes.org/gov and you get some interesting facts there[/QUOTE]

You have replied so many times, but have yet to make a valid point, and left so many details out it kinda makes me sick.

You cited Warren Buffet above, but have you ever read anything he has ever said?

Here are some examples; (just google his name and taxes together)

"If anything, taxes for the lower and middle class and maybe even the upper middle class should even probably be cut further," Buffett said. "But I think that people at the high end -- people like myself -- should be paying a lot more in taxes. We have it better than we've ever had it."

OR

The billionaire brushed aside Republican arguments that letting tax cuts expire for the wealthy would hurt economic growth.

"They say you have to keep those tax cuts, even on the very wealthy, because that is what energizes business and capitalism," anchor Amanpour said.

"The rich are always going to say that, you know, just give us more money and we'll go out and spend more and then it will all trickle down to the rest of you. But that has not worked the last 10 years, and I hope the American public is catching on," Buffett explained.

He also pointed out a previously much-publicized fact—that he pays less income tax than his employees; something he does not consider fair. He told of how he’d done “this little survey” in his office, with 16 people who responded. “And I had the lowest tax rate of the 16.” He explained further that he didn’t have tax shelters or a planner to cut his tax bill; “It was all courtesy of the U.S. Congress. I mean, they did my tax planning for me. And, literally, the average for the office, counting payroll taxes, was 32% and mine was 16 and a fraction percent.

Here is some on Bill Gates; (google that too)

Bill Gates Sr. has not only advocated an increase in taxes on the wealthy, but put money and effort into the campaign to institute a personal income tax in the state of Washington. Although the bill failed in the November election, with Washington voters handily rejecting the public question, Buffett told Amanpour that he “really admired” Gates Sr. for his efforts, and Gates Jr. volunteered that he’d voted for the measure his father had supported and said he was disappointed that it lost.

Here is one on Phil Knight

Disclaimer- Above is a "liberal" leaning blog, but illustrates this as well as confirms my prior post about tax rates.

Way too tired to look at the rest you cited.   Go back to drinking the Coors, you have sooo proved my point about the uneducated.

You want the "super wealthy" to run this country, keep spewing your hate filled homophobic crap. You, sir, are just how they want you to be.

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 10:57am
AS for the loopholes.... whether you like them or not they are in place and an incentive for the wealthy to not feel like they are giving everything to the government. They give to a charity or donate to a city and take a tax write off. The money still goes out for the good of someones or somethings but not directly as a tax. People benefit and the giver feels better than giving it all to government. If you take this away the government will take in the money and spend it how they please. Your local Boys/girls club, YMCA, churches, and other city, town and civic organizations will surely feel it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 11:51am

I understand you are getting a little tired of repeating the same “facts” over and over. But the thing is, I agree with you on the information you quoted from the IRS.gov website. It does say what you proclaim about income taxes, there I said it. But the last bit where you quoted a range of years, you did not quote the Clinton years, which was I think, 39.5%. Ironically that was also a time of huge growth.
As a side note, those are “effective rates” not “marginal rates” which is important to note.

Here is the great half truths to your argument, and being a small business, you should know this, or ask your tax man about it. I too used to own a small company, and how I put this together. Opps, real quick before I get started. You claim unemployment benefits just make people want to sit home and collect. You own a business right, just put an ad in the newspaper asking for help, one position available. How many responses to that think you'll get? I'd bet you'll get plenty, and many of them might just be the ones collecting unemployment. People want to work, and the amount of responses you get would verify that.

Just enough time to answer a few points. I have to go back to work for a full 8 hours for the 9th of what will be 13 days in a row, so I dont have to go on food stamps to feed my family, that is what conservatives believe in, personal responsibility. First off, I have a tax gal, I will add sexist to your list of faults. The government figures 6% unemployment is full employment. there is a sizable group out there that will never work if they are not forced to and the rest of us pay them to do so.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

AS for the loopholes.... whether you like them or not they are in place and an incentive for the wealthy to not feel like they are giving everything to the government. They give to a charity or donate to a city and take a tax write off. The money still goes out for the good of someones or somethings but not directly as a tax. People benefit and the giver feels better than giving it all to government. If you take this away the government will take in the money and spend it how they please. Your local Boys/girls club, YMCA, churches, and other city, town and civic organizations will surely feel it.

Really nice. So then, dodge the tax through a loophole, then take a tax write off. Hummmmm, so is that like getting paid twice?

Wow, wish I could take advantage of the loopholes, too bad it's only for the wealthy.

I suppose the gov. getting the money is a bad thing, because they use it for things they please including police, fire, etc.

And giving it to churches and the like, hummm, seems I have heard that argument before. Yes, right here in Wisconsin, except it was the other way around. Get rid of the unions, the peoples money went to the unions, which in turn spent it on electing democrats. Churches do the same thing but the right stands behind that.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 12:12pm

Just enough time to answer a few points. I have to go back to work for a full 8 hours for the 9th of what will be 13 days in a row, so I dont have to go on food stamps to feed my family, that is what conservatives believe in, personal responsibility. First off, I have a tax gal, I will add sexist to your list of faults. The government figures 6% unemployment is full employment. there is a sizable group out there that will never work if they are not forced to and the rest of us pay them to do so.

I sure hope you add to this later. You asked me about the rich not paying taxes, I took quite a bit of time to explain it. If you read it, it truly does explain most of how it is done. There are a few more things the wealthy do, which I did not explain, but if you wish I can.

I applaud you for working so much. I hear you, I spend most of my days working as well.

Listen, you are right about there being a certain percentage of the pop. that will never work. But that is NOT our problem today, have you seen our economy? Where are the jobs for these people? If you think we are in the mess we are solely because of the people who chose to not work, I misunderstood your posts.

Why don't you hire a few of these unemployed? Because your market cannot support it? It sounds like you have plenty of work available, and it might give you some time off. What gives, do tell, as a business owner and operator. I hope you do not tell me because you are unsure how long you could sustain another worker, because you are unsure of what will happen next, or that you personally need the money as things are getting more expensive.

Dave, I respect your vigor in your posts, and do appreciate you being a conservative. And please do not take offense to what I have said above, I was simply illustrating a point of view.

And don't worry, I being a progressive still provide for my family as part of my "Personal responsibility" with out food stamps.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 12:12pm
As for FICA, or taxes deducted for medicare and social security, this is basically a forced retirement plan, In thoery you get back what you pay in. There is maximum of what will get paid out and thus a maximum on the income level that gets taxed. Social secuity will not replace a millionaires full income in retirement so why should they tax a millionaires full income while they are working. Unless of course you are just looking for another paln to redistribute wealth, which is not the job of the government. Fica is a big ponzi schme, relying on the proceeds of the working to pay for the curretn benificiaries. This has landed many private sector business men in jail. When social security was established there were 44 workers for every retirey, and the average life span was 65 years, so the ponzi scheme worked, with baby boomers retiring it will be less than ten working per retirey, and 100+ is the fastest growing demographic in the country., between that and the government borrowing from the fund and never repaying it, (How can they pay us back when the only money they have to spend comes from us in the first place)the system will go broke and all of us who where told we could count on the bennefit will get screwed. Again if an insurance company did this, it would result in some execs jail time.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 12:21pm
As for the inheritance tax, why does it only become fair after 5 million. It is never fair, its just the number of estates over 5 million is small enough to not be an effective voting block so once again the mob rules and takes what they want from a group they dont like.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 12:47pm

As for FICA, or taxes deducted for medicare and social security, this is basically a forced retirement plan, In thoery you get back what you pay in. There is maximum of what will get paid out and thus a maximum on the income level that gets taxed. Social secuity will not replace a millionaires full income in retirement so why should they tax a millionaires full income while they are working. Unless of course you are just looking for another paln to redistribute wealth, which is not the job of the government. Fica is a big ponzi schme, relying on the proceeds of the working to pay for the curretn benificiaries. This has landed many private sector business men in jail. When social security was established there were 44 workers for every retirey, and the average life span was 65 years, so the ponzi scheme worked, with baby boomers retiring it will be less than ten working per retirey, and 100+ is the fastest growing demographic in the country., between that and the government borrowing from the fund and never repaying it, (How can they pay us back when the only money they have to spend comes from us in the first place)the system will go broke and all of us who where told we could count on the bennefit will get screwed. Again if an insurance company did this, it would result in some execs jail time.

Dave, you are still not getting it.

in your first few sentences you point out the maximums it can pay out and such, right?

So now, it still equals 17% for you right? Unless you make more than x number in contributions.

So when the wealthy gets to stop paying at x, whatever he makes beyond that, just reduces the percentage he has to pay, right?

And you are arguing for the party that wants to further lower the amount the wealthy gets to pay, right?
And even if you call it "forced retirement" , it is still a tax, and nothing more than a tax. You even said they borrow the money without much chance of putting it back. That is a tax my friend.

And then we come to your sentence about "why should they tax a millionaires full income while they are working"
You confuse me on this, because I thought you were for fair tax, or flat tax.
Why the heck not, they tax mine, and I take no more from the government than the millionaire does.

You are making the US out to be such a terrible place. I wonder why the wealthy are even here. (I really do know why they are here)

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 1:38pm
I wonder if the feeling is the same when one says we better not take the jet, cant fueler up as compared to honey you got 5 bucks so i can get to work. someone on here had to sell their modest lake home ie, Mike or Dave I believe, because of the economy and i did feel the devastation that was created from him doing so. its just so hard to understand why one would shadow the rich man and put him on a pedastal and not give 2 shts about the poor man in our country,
It seems like a catch 22 just like a guy on deathrow who killed 20 people but wants redemption upon his death from the one above. this country provides the oportunities to become rich unlike any other country in the world, but i feel it should come with a price. you know this going in, i feel the rich are more privy to information amongst themselves and have the abilty to sway for personal gain.
Im sure I know I would do the same thing if i had the opportunity to profit, but with a clause of knowing i had to pay a penalty (tax) and i think thats where the problem lies, just like redemption time. I know there are 2080 working hours in a year in which we have to make it count to survive and feed our family. But, if someone came to me and said, you know i have some info that will make you a rich man overnight, more money than you know what you could do with, I would jump all over it and once you crossover and have that money it changes you because you are no longer that man that has to bust his ass during those 2080 hours, being rich, you get a taste of what its like to not have to make it count for those 2080 hours, and will do anything not to give it back.
ive seen these changes in people and a good example would be the guy that i borrowed a bar of soap from last year, very good friend on mine RIP, but he was a lone survivor and his parents passed and left him with cash that i could easily of retired on, he made sure i gave that bar of soap back to him, and if we reversed, I wouldve completely forgot about that bar of soap, he wouldnt let loose of any of that cash when he was alive and I relly think it was because of the fear of being back at the point of going back and getting a job, but GD, he tried everything to hide that money so he didnt have to pay out on it.
I really did see a change in him when he recieved that money and dont believe it was isolated to just him. it seemed from that point on that all he really thought about was that money, his old man was the same way, in no way is it to the scale of the very wealthy, but is was enough to see the change in him....sorry for the babble, maybe life is just about being lucky I guess
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 1:52pm

To say it again, the IRS says that top 1% of earners (Even after loopholes and havens) pay 40% of the taxes, the top 5% pay 60%.

But what percentage of wealth do they own? The top 1 percent owns more financial wealth than bottom 95 percent. And 400 Americans have more wealth than half of all Americans combined! Yep, sounds like trickle down economics is doing great for the masses.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

To say it again, the IRS says that top 1% of earners (Even after loopholes and havens) pay 40% of the taxes, the top 5% pay 60%.

But what percentage of wealth do they own? The top 1 percent owns more financial wealth than bottom 95 percent. And 400 Americans have more wealth than half of all Americans combined! Yep, sounds like trickle down economics is doing great for the masses.

I would say the same they own the same percent that they earned through hard work, smart investing and financial risk taking.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

I would say they own the same percent that they earned through hard work, smart investing and financial risk taking.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 20>
  Share Topic