NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debt

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 20>
Author
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 2:28pm
Spoken like someone who intends to be a millionaire one day.

Check this article,

Stop Coddling the Super-Rich
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 3:45pm
I read the first two paragraphs and heres what I got.

1 new york times-     liberal source
2 warren buffet- left of liberal.
3 only the poor and middle class are in the military

Credibility is gone!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Credibility is gone!

That is about what I would expect from someone like you. Won't even look at opposing views... Yep, spot on.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 4:17pm
I did look as you can see by the threee points I referenced. I am just saying it is a biased piece of garbage with a distinct liberal agenda.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 4:22pm

Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

To say it again, the IRS says that top 1% of earners (Even after loopholes and havens) pay 40% of the taxes, the top 5% pay 60%.

But what percentage of wealth do they own? The top 1 percent owns more financial wealth than bottom 95 percent. And 400 Americans have more wealth than half of all Americans combined! Yep, sounds like trickle down economics is doing great for the masses.

I would say the same they own the same percent that they earned through hard work, smart investing and financial risk taking.

I would say the same they own the same percent that they earned through hard work, smart investing and financial risk taking., with alot of help from the middle class, and the government.

There I fixed it for you.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 4:32pm
I would have been disappointed if you hadnt.
1987 Ski Nautique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 4:56pm

I did look as you can see by the threee points I referenced. I am just saying it is a biased piece of garbage with a distinct liberal agenda.

A bunch of people had to spend a lot of time and money to get otherwise rational people to instantly dismiss an article written by one of the world’s most successful capitalists and published in one of the world’s most respected newspapers without so much as reading it or disputing one single fact in it.   To dismiss it not based on merits but simply because the sources that tell you what you most often want to hear tell you to dismiss it is what scares the vast majority of the people in the country about the ability of our grand experiment to continue.

And yes the vast majority of the military is comprised of the lower and middle class.. if you doubt that you really should probably check and make sure you understand the meaning of the term middle class. Even when we drafting people those in the upper class (with a few notable exceptions) did less than their fair share of fighting and dying.. in today’s volunteer army the reality is that only lower and lower middle class families do their fair share of the lifting.

What exactly would the evil NYT's and Warren Buffet have to gain from this liberal propaganda?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 5:08pm

Credibility is gone!

Not picking on you, but this is a perfect example of the ridiculous, polarized political attitude the vast majority of America has. Does everyone really think that the whole country can be divided into two sides, of which every viewpoint carried by one side is the exact opposite of the viewpoints of the other?

I would most certainly consider myself a conservative, but I don't act like everything thing a Republican says has to be right, and everything a Democrat says has to be wrong.

Phil, I read the article, thanks for posting it.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 5:13pm
Once again I did read the article. I just pointed out that it lacked credability. What does who is fighting in afghanistan have to do with tax rates that makea it important enough that it belongs in the article lead? Nothing, just pandering to the target audience. If the ultra eich make up 1% of the population I don't expect them to be 20% if the military but they do enlist and serve.

What its to be gain by NYT and Buffet, pandering to reader base and maybe some type of guilt tberapy? If buffet really felt as he says he doors he could write a check to the govt our to every poor person in the country and still have money left over. Why does he feel the need to dictate what others, do?
1987 Ski Nautique

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 5:31pm
Buffet is rich. Those making 250k and up is our admin's target. Our little company falls into that definition. Moreover, anything more than what we have to deal with now; taxes, regs, etc will be the end of our little company.

The NYT has a nick name on Red Eye...yall know what it is?

Joe, Buffet and the NYT have a proven record. Their mission there was to further the lib agenda. Neither entity wants to see our savior booted.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Not picking on you, but this is a perfect example of the ridiculous, polarized political attitude the vast majority of America has. Does everyone really think that the whole country can be divided into two sides, of which every viewpoint carried by one side is the exact opposite of the viewpoints of the other?

I would most certainly consider myself a conservative, but I don't act like everything thing a Republican says has to be right, and everything a Democrat says has to be wrong.

Phil, I read the article, thanks for posting it.

Are you saying I must now not only read the links but agree with them to be politically correct? Sorry that is not me. Maybe the authors.and sources are wrong for writting things people can disagree with.
1987 Ski Nautique

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 6:09pm
If I didn't make my point clear, sorry. I am not saying whether or not the article is full of crap, or full of truth, or whether or not you agree or disagree with it. My point was just making an example about your initial reaction to it. There have been many other posts (by others in this thread, not just you) that I could've made the same example out of.

It's the general thought that "I stand on this side, therefore EVERYTHING on the other side must be wrong." Not everything is part of a larger "agenda"/conspiracy, some things might actually make sense if you view them without a preconceived notions.

If Keith Olbermann told me that 10 x 10 = 100, I got to admit, I would probably hesitate to believe him, but I try to at least keep an open mind.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 9:26pm

Spoken like someone who intends to be a millionaire one day.

I hope I can. I would love to make enough so my kids dont have to work a day in their lives,just so I can make them work anyway!
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 9:43pm

If I didn't make my point clear, sorry. I am not saying whether or not the article is full of crap, or full of truth, or whether or not you agree or disagree with it. My point was just making an example about your initial reaction to it. There have been many other posts (by others in this thread, not just you) that I could've made the same example out of.

It's the general thought that "I stand on this side, therefore EVERYTHING on the other side must be wrong." Not everything is part of a larger "agenda"/conspiracy, some things might actually make sense if you view them without a preconceived notions.

If Keith Olbermann told me that 10 x 10 = 100, I got to admit, I would probably hesitate to believe him, but I try to at least keep an open mind.

Craig, no apology neccesary, Like I said, I did go to and read the article. It was just at each step my radar went up. First the link came from Phil, second it was in the NYT. Up untill about a year ago I read the electronic version of the NYT every morning, I know it well, it is a major source but leans a little left. Sometimes alot. When I purchased my latest phone with a bigger screen for reading at the breakfast table I had trouble with the NYT site and switched to AP, also a little left but I read it everyday. Despite my own bias (big news, I have a conservative bias)I consume media from many sources left right and middle. Anyway, when I saw it was written by Warren Buffet my radar began to flash violently, but I proceeded. The first paragraph set the purpose of the article. The second set the tone. Like I said before, the unrelated military comment was place there for a reason, specifically to manipulate the reader.(I could have said to persuade or sway, but I am also biased and trying to manipulate, and it has a harsher tone). Warren wanted the reader to have contempt for his targets before he made any arguments so that the reader is less likely to question his reasoning. It is easy to see if you are looking and I dont care to be used in this way. When I post statistics I am always asked if they come from a non-biased source. So I pick sources like the IRS, then I am asked to read things by Warren Buffet. What would the response be if I made a point backed up by Sarah Palin article?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 10:02pm
How about something tangible like why is he campaigning on our nickel?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 10:04pm
BO's tone has been pathetic in his last few appearances.
1988 BFN-sold

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 10:33pm
That whats wrong with America and liberal media. It appears thats all people want to listen too. Cant seem to think "outside" the box.

BTW,Perry will mop the floor with them all. I bet somebody a cold beer and cheese burger... Socially, polotically, conservativley, and been proven on paper. Where do you think all the jobs been created, with lower taxs, and have a goverment in check. Perry does!!   
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 10:37pm
Barack came to minnesota today, hard to work with one hand protecting your wallet.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 11:11pm
Warren Buffet has pledged to give 90& of his money to assorted charities when he dies. In fact it is in his will, which has been posted online.

I'll look shortly.

That article about Buffett also states the bit about his office staff and how he really pays an effective tax rate of 16%
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 2:25am
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

Your example of the construction worker above is nice....

Isn't it screwed up when two working people in the household, one works simply to cover the cost of daycare so they can work?

Or you could say that construction worker, works, just to cover his work.

Yeah, and peter piper picked a pail of pickled .......

But yet, he still pays taxes, and went back to work when asked.

Did you tell him you are a member of a forum, and on the forum you are trying to make an argument where folks like him are abusing the system, and you'd rather not see others like him receive unemployment benefits?

I did not tell him about the forum but I did remind him who was paying for him to sit home, and that we were glad to see him back at work.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 2:41am

As for FICA, or taxes deducted for medicare and social security, this is basically a forced retirement plan, In thoery you get back what you pay in. There is maximum of what will get paid out and thus a maximum on the income level that gets taxed. Social secuity will not replace a millionaires full income in retirement so why should they tax a millionaires full income while they are working. Unless of course you are just looking for another paln to redistribute wealth, which is not the job of the government. Fica is a big ponzi schme, relying on the proceeds of the working to pay for the curretn benificiaries. This has landed many private sector business men in jail. When social security was established there were 44 workers for every retirey, and the average life span was 65 years, so the ponzi scheme worked, with baby boomers retiring it will be less than ten working per retirey, and 100+ is the fastest growing demographic in the country., between that and the government borrowing from the fund and never repaying it, (How can they pay us back when the only money they have to spend comes from us in the first place)the system will go broke and all of us who where told we could count on the bennefit will get screwed. Again if an insurance company did this, it would result in some execs jail time.

Dave, you are still not getting it.

in your first few sentences you point out the maximums it can pay out and such, right?

So now, it still equals 17% for you right? Unless you make more than x number in contributions.

So when the wealthy gets to stop paying at x, whatever he makes beyond that, just reduces the percentage he has to pay, right?

And you are arguing for the party that wants to further lower the amount the wealthy gets to pay, right?
And even if you call it "forced retirement" , it is still a tax, and nothing more than a tax. You even said they borrow the money without much chance of putting it back. That is a tax my friend.

And then we come to your sentence about "why should they tax a millionaires full income while they are working"
You confuse me on this, because I thought you were for fair tax, or flat tax.
Why the heck not, they tax mine, and I take no more from the government than the millionaire does.

You are making the US out to be such a terrible place. I wonder why the wealthy are even here. (I really do know why they are here)

Seth, When you buy life insurance, do you pay a premium based on a payoff amount and risk? or based on a percent of your income? Taxes are the one place I can think of in this country where you pay based on ability (code word for re-distribution)rather than a purchase price for a given product. Social security and medicare, which this country survived without for the first 2/3's of its history) are a manditory insurance, my guess is the governemtn got tired of paying for wards of the state and so they found a for us to pay for ourselves. Basically a small percentage of the population who did not save for thier retirment got this forced onto the rest of us. The program has a maximum payout, to provide a safety net and is not designed to pay a millionaires lifestye, so the tax (premium ) is based on the maximum wage it replace. Everyone pays for what they use, the government holds the money,(because we are to irresponsible) and all is good...... till 2024 when the system goes broke because the government cant be trusted to run much of anything. It was never meant to be a percentage thing because it was never meant to be paid out on a percentage basis.
1987 Ski Nautique

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 3:09am

Craig, no apology neccesary, Like I said, I did go to and read the article. It was just at each step my radar went up. First the link came from Phil, second it was in the NYT. Up untill about a year ago I read the electronic version of the NYT every morning, I know it well, it is a major source but leans a little left. Sometimes alot. When I purchased my latest phone with a bigger screen for reading at the breakfast table I had trouble with the NYT site and switched to AP, also a little left but I read it everyday. Despite my own bias (big news, I have a conservative bias)I consume media from many sources left right and middle. Anyway, when I saw it was written by Warren Buffet my radar began to flash violently, but I proceeded. The first paragraph set the purpose of the article. The second set the tone. Like I said before, the unrelated military comment was place there for a reason, specifically to manipulate the reader.(I could have said to persuade or sway, but I am also biased and trying to manipulate, and it has a harsher tone). Warren wanted the reader to have contempt for his targets before he made any arguments so that the reader is less likely to question his reasoning. It is easy to see if you are looking and I dont care to be used in this way. When I post statistics I am always asked if they come from a non-biased source. So I pick sources like the IRS, then I am asked to read things by Warren Buffet. What would the response be if I made a point backed up by Sarah Palin article?

The point of the article and the reason why I pointed it out to you, was to show you that the ultra rich DO NOT pay their fair share in taxes. Warren even laid out his numbers for the reader...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 3:12am

To say it again, the IRS says that top 1% of earners (Even after loopholes and havens) pay 40% of the taxes, the top 5% pay 60%.

But what percentage of wealth do they own? The top 1 percent owns more financial wealth than bottom 95 percent. And 400 Americans have more wealth than half of all Americans combined! Yep, sounds like trickle down economics is doing great for the masses.

Phil, First, we tax income, not wealth but the top 1% controls 38.8 percent of the weatlh and pay 40% of the taxes. As far as income the top 1% earns 25% of the income while paying 40% of the taxes.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 3:28am
Phil, we have a 3.729 trillion dollar budget , and about 310 million poulation that makes the fair share for each individual a little over $12,000. (If I got my zeros right,thet is a crapload of mony) At 6 million plus I think Warren has covered his "fair" share.
anything beyond that is a wealth re-distribution, call it what it is. by the way, If familys like mine had to pay the 60 grand in taxes we really owe instead of soaking the rich, we would not have a dem in office and we would have a much smaller government.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 5:05am

Phil, we have a 3.729 trillion dollar budget , and about 310 million poulation that makes the fair share for each individual a little over $12,000. (If I got my zeros right,thet is a crapload of mony) At 6 million plus I think Warren has covered his "fair" share.
anything beyond that is a wealth re-distribution, call it what it is. by the way, If familys like mine had to pay the 60 grand in taxes we really owe instead of soaking the rich, we would not have a dem in office and we would have a much smaller government.

Is it "fair' or "equal"?

Sure it's "equal" to take total budget and divide by number of people, but that isn't "fair", as in percentage of income.

Now don't start about the "fairtax" the right talks about, I will so bust that apart, promptly.

Psst... our government is getting samller. Has been since 1980 something.
That was the "privatization" brain fart, that hasn't really saved cash.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 5:08am

Your example of the construction worker above is nice....

Isn't it screwed up when two working people in the household, one works simply to cover the cost of daycare so they can work?

Or you could say that construction worker, works, just to cover his work.

Yeah, and peter piper picked a pail of pickled .......

But yet, he still pays taxes, and went back to work when asked.

Did you tell him you are a member of a forum, and on the forum you are trying to make an argument where folks like him are abusing the system, and you'd rather not see others like him receive unemployment benefits?

I did not tell him about the forum but I did remind him who was paying for him to sit home, and that we were glad to see him back at work.

And now he is paying his share for the other guy, or gal, who was just laid off. That's how it works.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 10:22am
dont give Perry any credit, he's riding the coat tails of the oil industry.....stick him up here in Ohio and lets see if he could turn this place around...
imagine Pfiezer and Cisco with off shore addresses pumping only 12% to 17% into the economy instead of the normal 35% corporate taxes, thats what we should be bitching about. is that a loophole or a haven? same fcin thing as the rich not paying taxes
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 10:46am

Now don't start about the "fairtax" the right talks about, I will so bust that apart, promptly.

Bring it on skippy! Bet you haven't read either book...

In the spirit of good sportsmanship, how 'bout this one:

Which bill is the most researched in American history?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 11:17am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

dont give Perry any credit, he's riding the coat tails of the oil industry.....stick him up here in Ohio and lets see if he could turn this place around...
imagine Pfiezer and Cisco with off shore addresses pumping only 12% to 17% into the economy instead of the normal 35% corporate taxes, thats what we should be bitching about. is that a loophole or a haven? same fcin thing as the rich not paying taxes

Eric, we have pretty much determined the rich do pay taxes, top 1% pay 40% after loopholes and havens. They only earn 25% of the income which is what we tax. they hold 38.8 percent of wealth, which is not what we base taxes on anyway but it is clear they are paying more than their fair share, please stop the rhetotric because it is simply not true.
1987 Ski Nautique

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 1:00pm

Eric, we have pretty much determined the rich do pay taxes, top 1% pay 40% after loopholes and havens. They only earn 25% of the income which is what we tax. they hold 38.8 percent of wealth, which is not what we base taxes on anyway but it is clear they are paying more than their fair share, please stop the rhetotric because it is simply not true.

I think you need to go back and re-read the article. Buffet paid 17.4% of his taxable income. How much did you pay? Furthermore, he is only advocating on increasing the taxes on people making 1 million a year or more that is .03% of the population. But why would you want to tax millionaires when everyone thinks they will be millionaires one day? Wishful thinking or denial? Where do you guys learn your supply side economics? A conservative talk radio host or what? I can see giving the rich tax cuts if they really created jobs but they don't and history shows us that. The race to the bottom continues no matter the taxes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 20>
  Share Topic