NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debt

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 20>
Author
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

What its to be gain by NYT and Buffet, pandering to reader base and maybe some type of guilt tberapy? If buffet really felt as he says he doors he could write a check to the govt our to every poor person in the country and still have money left over. Why does he feel the need to dictate what others, do?

This is such a tired old argument.

Warren Buffet does not donate extra tax to the government because his entire message is that you can't rely on a few rich people to donate. For the rich to pay their fair share, they have to be made to pay it. Taxation is not something you opt into or out of, and a few generous billionair­es are not going to start fixing the problem.

To have any effect, it has to be mandatory. This is why he doesn't cut the government a check: Warren Buffet doing it by himself is Warren Buffet throwing money away to no noticeable benefit. He wants to be forced to pay higher taxes, because if he is forced then so are others like him. Enough rich and super rich people being forced to pay higher taxes won't solve our problems, but it is a step in the right direction.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

dont give Perry any credit, he's riding the coat tails of the oil industry.....stick him up here in Ohio and lets see if he could turn this place around...
imagine Pfiezer and Cisco with off shore addresses pumping only 12% to 17% into the economy instead of the normal 35% corporate taxes, thats what we should be bitching about. is that a loophole or a haven? same fcin thing as the rich not paying taxes

And Romney never raised taxes......but BOY did our FEES go up!
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 2:33pm

dont give Perry any credit, he's riding the coat tails of the oil industry.....stick him up here in Ohio and lets see if he could turn this place around...
imagine Pfiezer and Cisco with off shore addresses pumping only 12% to 17% into the economy instead of the normal 35% corporate taxes, thats what we should be bitching about. is that a loophole or a haven? same fcin thing as the rich not paying taxes

Perry made it work in all industry's. Small business are doing well here too. Plus he fits socially better than others.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 2:36pm
By some reasoning I see, this must be a good sign?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 3:06pm
1988 BFN-sold

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

And still 500,000 less gov't jobs than when our last republican president was in office.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Perry made it work in all industry's. Small business are doing well here too. Plus he fits socially better than others.

Yep, good ole Texas where 1 in 4 people don't have health insurance. Texas and Mississippi led the nation last year with 9.5 percent of hourly workers earning at or less than the federal minimum hourly wage of $7.25. Sounds like a great place.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

And still 500,000 less gov't jobs than when our last republican president was in office.

What's your source?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 3:38pm
1988 BFN-sold

ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 3:47pm

Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

Now don't start about the "fairtax" the right talks about, I will so bust that apart, promptly.

Bring it on skippy! Bet you haven't read either book...

In the spirit of good sportsmanship, how 'bout this one:

Which bill is the most researched in American history?

Ok then, I wlll. It might take me a few, as I am working in 15, so look for it.

I do however suspect it won't end well. Arguing with righties, is sort of like arguing the a Jehova Witness.

If your only argument is going to be read the book, you fail, before you even start.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 4:18pm
ski, take a look at Dubai, you could set up a hot dog stand and become a millionaire, if Perry tried he couldnt make that state go broke....
"the things you own will start to own you"
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 7:09pm

What's your source?

The BLS..

Gus Faucher an economist from Moodys:

"Faucher says the federal government should provide more stimulus-oriented programs to shore up hemorrhaging state and local governments. He notes that state and local governments have shed about 500,000 jobs since 2008, including an average of 20,000 positions per month in the past six months."

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/05/136023608/gops-debt-focus-seen-limiting-obama-on-economy

More..
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-02-04/obama-unemployment-goal-endangered-by-state-local-budget-cuts.html

More...

http://mediamatters.org/research/201104110026

I believe this story was broke by the liberal site thinkprogress but it's been in multiple publications since and I haven't seen anything that shows the numbers are incorrect.

http://thinkprogress.org/yglesias/2011/07/08/263588/the-conservative-recovery-continues-2/

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 9:08pm
In one ear and out the other
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 12:52am

Eric, we have pretty much determined the rich do pay taxes, top 1% pay 40% after loopholes and havens. They only earn 25% of the income which is what we tax. they hold 38.8 percent of wealth, which is not what we base taxes on anyway but it is clear they are paying more than their fair share, please stop the rhetotric because it is simply not true.

I think you need to go back and re-read the article. Buffet paid 17.4% of his taxable income. How much did you pay? Furthermore, he is only advocating on increasing the taxes on people making 1 million a year or more that is .03% of the population. But why would you want to tax millionaires when everyone thinks they will be millionaires one day? Wishful thinking or denial? Where do you guys learn your supply side economics? A conservative talk radio host or what? I can see giving the rich tax cuts if they really created jobs but they don't and history shows us that. The race to the bottom continues no matter the taxes.

Thanks for the back up I didnt say the rich pay enough taxes to make tax and spend liberals happy. Eric said the rich are not paying taxes which they clearly are by your statement of the 17 %. Glad you have my back. I learn trickle down economics from real life. The company I work on homes valued up to 12 million dollars, when the rich are spending I work all the overtime I want and spend accordingly when they are not I work 32 hours a week and budget severly. So I see it go from the rich to my employer, to me, and to every I buy from, and I know it goes on from them. hard to not believe it when you see it for yourself.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 12:54am

What's your source?

The BLS..

Gus Faucher an economist from Moodys:

"Faucher says the federal government should provide more stimulus-oriented programs to shore up hemorrhaging state and local governments. He notes that state and local governments have shed about 500,000 jobs since 2008, including an average of 20,000 positions per month in the past six months."

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/05/136023608/gops-debt-focus-seen-limiting-obama-on-economy

More..
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-02-04/obama-unemployment-goal-endangered-by-state-local-budget-cuts.html

More...

http://mediamatters.org/research/201104110026

I believe this story was broke by the liberal site thinkprogress but it's been in multiple publications since and I haven't seen anything that shows the numbers are incorrect.

http://thinkprogress.org/yglesias/2011/07/08/263588/the-conservative-recovery-continues-2/

Cant believe everything some dumb Faucher says. Someone had to say it.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 3:15am

What its to be gain by NYT and Buffet, pandering to reader base and maybe some type of guilt tberapy? If buffet really felt as he says he doors he could write a check to the govt our to every poor person in the country and still have money left over. Why does he feel the need to dictate what others, do?

Warren Buffet does not donate extra tax to the government because his entire message is that you can't rely on a few rich people to donate. For the rich to pay their fair share, they have to be made to pay it. Taxation is not something you opt into or out of, and a few generous billionair­es are not going to start fixing the problem.

To have any effect, it has to be mandatory. This is why he doesn't cut the government a check: Warren Buffet doing it by himself is Warren Buffet throwing money away to no noticeable benefit. He wants to be forced to pay higher taxes, because if he is forced then so are others like him. Enough rich and super rich people being forced to pay higher taxes won't solve our problems, but it is a step in the right direction.

You will notice Buffet gives no details of rates and results. I did some rough math, assuming the 236,883 millionaires making between 1 and 10 million a year all made 9 million taxed at 15% that would generate about 3.2 billion a year, double their taxes your up to 6.4 billion, then take the group of 8274 billionaires, if buffet pays 6 million a year we give them an average of 4 million in tax burden. double that,multiply, you add another 3 billion in taxes paid (this ignores decreases due to the Laffer curve), so we are up to a net gain in revenues of 9 billion a year. Should only take us 1,555 years to pay off the 14 trillion deficit,assuming a balanced budget now. Great plan!!!! There simply are not enough rich people.
Same tired old argument, tax the rich and our problems will be solved. This is just a distraction to avoid the spending problem. In 2008 we had a 2.98 trillion dollar budget, for 2011 it is 3.8 trillion. We have had little to no growth and inflation under 2% during this period. We have a spending problem that needs to be addressed. If you look at federal revenue increases and spending for the last 40 years you will see for every dollar of increased revenue our politicians spend a dollar fifty. If we are truely concerned about the deficit, knowing each dollar we give will add 50 cents to the deficit, why would we give them another cent? the problem is the people spending the money dont earn it they collect it. like Monopoly money they get more each time they pass go, or land on chance. Congratulations, you raised the debt limit, collect another 2 trillion dollars. We need to address the spending issue. The spending created the tea party, thank goodness they have at least started the conversation that needs to be had.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 10:30am
Dave, when the rich dont spend, you suffer not them, why not create incentive to spend inside these walls and create jobs? i really dont think overspending got us to where we are at today, we just aint got nothing to sell anymore,
taxing the rich is one way to pick away at the deficit, were not saying its the only way, but its a step in the right direction.
the economy is a very delicate flower and if you dont pollinate it, it wont bloom.
The principle's of the economy are like an insurance policy, you feed 30 bucks a month into and die a year later, you get a check for 100 grand, but what makes that work is 2 million people putting the 30 bucks in there creating cashflow and the risk of all those people not dieing at once...being a double edged sword in this example, not enough money going into it, and to many dieing off which affects the flow.
is taxing the rich going to cure the crises? probably not, if you dont do anything, nothing will happen
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 12:20pm
Eric, taxing the rich does not incent them to spend and they are not the answer to our problems. As I have shown there are not enough rich people and we need something a little better thabn a thousand year plan. Overspending absolutely got us where we are today,$1.50 for every new $1 generated is a problem that your business could not survive, same for this country, wake up and smell the coffee, not the coolaid.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 12:26pm
Big story on AP this morning. Our president, who says we all must sacrifice, who will not rest until the employment situation is solved will anounce a big new plan......in three weeks.......when he returns from his vacation at Marthas Vinyard. We need a new CEO.

Also in the news, I think Michele Bachman gave herself the final shot in the foot. In the grand scheme her Elvis blunder does not mean much, but come on.......Very dissapointing at this level.
1987 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 1:11pm
Dave you can try and try to explain to the lefties about the rich, and taxes and what they do, the only plan they can come up with is tax the rich. Thats all they do, democrats come up with a plan. "Whats your plan?" We are going to tax the sht out of the rich!!! Great plan... They dont get it and never will bro..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 2:02pm

You will notice Buffet gives no details of rates and results. I did some rough math, assuming the 236,883 millionaires making between 1 and 10 million a year all made 9 million taxed at 15% that would generate about 3.2 billion a year, double their taxes your up to 6.4 billion, then take the group of 8274 billionaires, if buffet pays 6 million a year we give them an average of 4 million in tax burden. double that,multiply, you add another 3 billion in taxes paid (this ignores decreases due to the Laffer curve), so we are up to a net gain in revenues of 9 billion a year. Should only take us 1,555 years to pay off the 14 trillion deficit,assuming a balanced budget now. Great plan!!!! There simply are not enough rich people.
Same tired old argument, tax the rich and our problems will be solved. This is just a distraction to avoid the spending problem. In 2008 we had a 2.98 trillion dollar budget, for 2011 it is 3.8 trillion. We have had little to no growth and inflation under 2% during this period. We have a spending problem that needs to be addressed. If you look at federal revenue increases and spending for the last 40 years you will see for every dollar of increased revenue our politicians spend a dollar fifty. If we are truely concerned about the deficit, knowing each dollar we give will add 50 cents to the deficit, why would we give them another cent? the problem is the people spending the money dont earn it they collect it. like Monopoly money they get more each time they pass go, or land on chance. Congratulations, you raised the debt limit, collect another 2 trillion dollars. We need to address the spending issue. The spending created the tea party, thank goodness they have at least started the conversation that needs to be had.

No one says it will completely close our deficit. Nor did anyone say it's the only thing that needs to be done. It's a step in the right direction and help from people who can most afford it.

"The rich are always going to say that, you know, just give us more money and we'll go out and spend more and then it will all trickle down to the rest of you. But that has not worked the last 10 years, and I hope the American public is catching on."

Warren Buffett 2010

And wow, this is interesting.

Deficit Chart
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Dave you can try and try to explain to the lefties about the rich, and taxes and what they do, the only plan they can come up with is tax the rich. Thats all they do, democrats come up with a plan. "Whats your plan?" We are going to tax the sht out of the rich!!! Great plan... They dont get it and never will bro..

Shouldn't you be listening to Rush Limbaugh or something?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 2:50pm
Ok lets say for arguments sake we tax the hell out of the rich, its a drop in the bucket and we are still hemorraging then what?
1987 Ski Nautique

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 3:20pm

Ok lets say for arguments sake we tax the hell out of the rich, its a drop in the bucket and we are still hemorraging then what?

End corporate welfare, close tax loop holes, end Bush tax cuts, end the wars/slash military spending, penalize companies that outsource work to foreign countries, invest in education, infrastruc­ture, and other such projects and programs. Do you remember the last time the federal budget was balanced and the federal deficit erased?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 3:36pm

If we're even still talking about the Buffet op-ed, you might take notice that the he mentions the first task for congress is to

"pare down some future promises that even a rich America can’t fulfill. Big money must be saved here."

Then he says

"....should then turn to the issue of revenues."
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 3:56pm
PHIL, ask again, its hard for them to even say it
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 4:27pm

Thanks for the back up I didnt say the rich pay enough taxes to make tax and spend liberals happy. Eric said the rich are not paying taxes which they clearly are by your statement of the 17 %. Glad you have my back.

Yes, most pay they just don't pay enough with all their tax havens that have been setup for them. And people like me and you end up paying a higher percentage than them!

I learn trickle down economics from real life. The company I work on homes valued up to 12 million dollars, when the rich are spending I work all the overtime I want and spend accordingly when they are not I work 32 hours a week and budget severly. So I see it go from the rich to my employer, to me, and to every I buy from, and I know it goes on from them. hard to not believe it when you see it for yourself.

Sounds about right. Your sample size of 1(yourself) is not sufficient evidence. You personally might benefit because of your line of work, but how many people can really afford multimillion dollar homes? Not a lot! Seems more people would benefit from building homes priced in the 125,000 - 300,000 price range. Duh. Try again.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 4:28pm
Phil, you are a broken record I asked what else we can do about debt AFTER taxing the rich. Your answer( paraphrased) tax the rich,tax the rich,tax the rich, increase spending. Aaaaahhhhhhhhh.
1987 Ski Nautique

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 4:28pm

PHIL, ask again, its hard for them to even say it

I know that centrist president! What was his name again?
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 4:31pm

Phil, yoi are a broken record I asked what else we can do about debt AFTER taxing the rich. Your answer( paraphrased) tax the rich,tax the rich,tax the rich, increase spending. Aaaaahhhhhhhhh.

You must not comprehend well. Cutting military spending is taxing the rich? And if you recall, bush tax cuts were not just for the rich. I like how you avoided my question though. And did you look at the link of the chart I posted? Hard to argue against that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 20>
  Share Topic