NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debt

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 20>
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

I learn trickle down economics from real life. The company I work on homes valued up to 12 million dollars, when the rich are spending I work all the overtime I want and spend accordingly when they are not I work 32 hours a week and budget severly. So I see it go from the rich to my employer, to me, and to every I buy from, and I know it goes on from them. hard to not believe it when you see it for yourself.

Sounds about right. Your sample size of 1(yourself) is not sufficient evidence. You personally might benefit because of your line of work, but how many people can really afford multimillion dollar homes? Not a lot! Seems more people would benefit from building homes priced in the 125,000 - 300,000 price range. Duh. Try again.

Duh we have a housing crisis with a glut of devalued homes in the bracket you mention. How does incresing that inventory help anyone?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I learn trickle down economics from real life. The company I work on homes valued up to 12 million dollars, when the rich are spending I work all the overtime I want and spend accordingly when they are not I work 32 hours a week and budget severly. So I see it go from the rich to my employer, to me, and to every I buy from, and I know it goes on from them. hard to not believe it when you see it for yourself.

Sounds about right. Your sample size of 1(yourself) is not sufficient evidence. You personally might benefit because of your line of work, but how many people can really afford multimillion dollar homes? Not a lot! Seems more people would benefit from building homes priced in the 125,000 - 300,000 price range. Duh. Try again.

Duh we have a housing crisis with a glut of devalued homes in the bracket you mention. How does incresing that inventory help anyone?

Your right it's not a good time for new homes period. My point still stands, there are not a lot of million dollar buyers out there and there never will be. It's a very weak example of supply side economics. It's not a good line of work and it's a line of work (building in general) that is so saturated by people looking for jobs and one of the first markets to get hit when there's a downturn.

Edit:
Also, if your supply side theory works then why do all sources point to a growing inequality gap?
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 5:12pm
The example above sounds like low paid servants to me, at the mercy of the rich.

You work hard for your money, and it only comes when you work. While you are pissed about the social benefits of this country, you say nothing of the low amount of work and the great rewards of playing the stock market, in which they do not pay a fair share of taxes on.

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 7:06pm
What ever happen to people believing in the "Amercian Dream!!" Come to America be what you want in this country. But screw it, that dude either got a family inhertiance and is running a family million dollar company now, or he created a service and became rich, fk it he or she worked there ass off to get there and lets tax the sht out of them.

ITS ALL ABOUT REDISTRUBUTING THE WEALTH.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 9:51pm

Phil, yoi are a broken record I asked what else we can do about debt AFTER taxing the rich. Your answer( paraphrased) tax the rich,tax the rich,tax the rich, increase spending. Aaaaahhhhhhhhh.

You must not comprehend well. Cutting military spending is taxing the rich? And if you recall, bush tax cuts were not just for the rich. I like how you avoided my question though. And did you look at the link of the chart I posted? Hard to argue against that.

I comprehend very well, you would love to cut military spending during a budget surplus so you are giving up nothing. And the Bush tax cuts do effect everyone, thanks for bringing that up. This is a very important point. I have been arguing against taxing the rich and have been told that is against my own interest. I stated once they can do it to the rich they can do it to anyone. In my example I gave phil his wish, I said tax the crap out of the rich, and as pointed out earlier that is a 1000 year solution . We do not have enough rich to tax our way out of the situation. I asked what we do then. In Phils answer do you see any the compromise our president calls out for? Or just tired partison politics after I gave him his wish? He came back with the liberal playbook answer, closing loopholes and taxhavens had already been covered by taxing the crap out of the rich. Cutting the military is a liberal given, and the military is only 20% of our budget anyway, eliminating the military would not solve our problem, but it sure would create a few. Phil then recommended raising taxes on everyone including a 5% increase to the lowest bracket. As I predicted when the rich are out of money the liberals will come strait after the rest of us. He also proposed increasing school funding. How does that erase a deficit? I am asking for a real solution to a real spending problem. I would propose an across the board percentage cut, with congress out of the loop on spending decisions. No protecting pet projects to buy votes, let those effected make their own decisions and put the money where it is most effective. A very fair compromise.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 10:00pm
Lets see your chart but replace the wars with The different Entitlement spending, then they would be pushing up the line. Its a biased chart telling a small part of the whole story.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 10:06pm
Big AP headline today

"Obamas dilema,Should he take a vacation now?"

We have two wars, high fuel prices, 9 percent unemployment, downgraded credit, and his vacation is his biggest dilema. How out of touch can the guy get.

1987 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 12:35am

Big AP headline today

"Obamas dilema,Should he take a vacation now?"

We have two wars, high fuel prices, 9 percent unemployment, downgraded credit, and his vacation is his biggest dilema. How out of touch can the guy get.

Dave we all know or some of us. Bottom line he has a LACK OF LEADERSHIP, and he has implented all he can.

1)healthcare- which off course is completly un-constitustional in many ways.
2)stimuls twice- that did not do nothing but create ecnomy freenzy and more ***************g debit
3)credit down grade- need I say more...

The left try to use "scare tatics", against us and hate the right. He is so finished bro... But fk it, his new plan is higher taxes... in september
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 2:10am
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

The example above sounds like low paid servants to me, at the mercy of the rich.

You work hard for your money, and it only comes when you work. While you are pissed about the social benefits of this country, you say nothing of the low amount of work and the great rewards of playing the stock market, in which they do not pay a fair share of taxes on.

I choose the hardwood floor industry as a means to an end, it allowed me to go back to school and finish a BS degree, something I could not do working 24 hour shifts as a paramedic. It was reasonably lucrative when I got in, pickings are a little slim right now. As for being a servant we all serve those that we work for and our customers. As I said, I have worked on homes up to 12 mill in value, that incledes 75k condos, 250k starter homes on up. I dont feel the relationship with the home owners or builders is much different based on the home value. I take pride in my work and have always been committed to customer service. Working on the high end homes is an honor and being trusted to work on them the greatest compliment I can recieve. I have never been called a servant by a homeowner, no matter what their income level. I have been reffered to as an artist which means alot from people used to the best things in life. I am looking for new opportunities which only adds to my passion about job creation because it is tough out there right now.

We are taxed on income not work, otherwise volunteers would pay a fortune. People investing take risks, and would not do it if not for the potential reward. I had a neighbor that dreamed of being a commodity trader. He learned about the industry and practiced making trades for a year till he was confident in his skills. He sold his home and used the equity for seed money and to by a seat on the exchange. I ran into him a year later, he had done well for 6 months and then lost everything on one bad trade. He was back at his old job and living in an apartment, finacialy about ten years behind from where he had been. The grass is always greener.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 5:18am

I choose the hardwood floor industry as a means to an end, it allowed me to go back to school and finish a BS degree, something I could not do working 24 hour shifts as a paramedic. It was reasonably lucrative when I got in, pickings are a little slim right now. As for being a servant we all serve those that we work for and our customers. As I said, I have worked on homes up to 12 mill in value, that incledes 75k condos, 250k starter homes on up. I dont feel the relationship with the home owners or builders is much different based on the home value. I take pride in my work and have always been committed to customer service. Working on the high end homes is an honor and being trusted to work on them the greatest compliment I can recieve. I have never been called a servant by a homeowner, no matter what their income level. I have been reffered to as an artist which means alot from people used to the best things in life. I am looking for new opportunities which only adds to my passion about job creation because it is tough out there right now.

We are taxed on income not work, otherwise volunteers would pay a fortune. People investing take risks, and would not do it if not for the potential reward. I had a neighbor that dreamed of being a commodity trader. He learned about the industry and practiced making trades for a year till he was confident in his skills. He sold his home and used the equity for seed money and to by a seat on the exchange. I ran into him a year later, he had done well for 6 months and then lost everything on one bad trade. He was back at his old job and living in an apartment, finacialy about ten years behind from where he had been. The grass is always greener.

Really, it doesn't matter what you do. I too used to work in the construction industry, on some very nice homes. Even Steve Stricker, the golfer. But who really cares, they put their pants on one leg at a time, just like me.

When they feel like spending, you get to work, then get paid. If they do not spend what do you do? I mean in the here and now. It's not go to school get an education, then start earning again.

Now I play poker, alot. I am never taxed one dime on my earnings. By your argument I should not have to pay any taxes, since the players I beat, have already payed taxes on it. Should I be dumb enough to wander a few feet away and drop money into a slot machine and actually win, I'd have to pay taxes on the winnings. Not so in poker.

This is just what the wealthy do in the markets.

Entitlements are a double edged sword. It seems like the right thinks living on entitlements are the "high life" and people a racing to collect benefits. Granted, some might be, but there are cheaters in everything.

So the rights answer to cut spending on SS, Medicare, welfare, education, public services, and we will be all good without raising revenue on penny.

As I said before your household budget faces a shortfall, while you will surely think of ways to cut you will also think of ways to bring in more. Something the right has refused to do.

Sure cut the welfare out, ss, and all social programs. Where will that leave us. In a whole 'nother mess, and that won't do you or the fat cats in Washington any good, because you will end up paying for it anyway with jails and hospitals.

Why can't it be a logical alternative. Your rough math in a previous post about taxing the rich more might not solve the whole problem but it would be a start along with many other steps. Yeah, I am not against cutting the entitlements to those that abuse the system, just as I am not against closing the havens and loopholes. But you cannot do one without the other.

And that is exactly what the right is saying. Obama offered a deal which he and Boehner talked about. $10 in cuts to $1 in revenue increases. By all accounts Boehner agreed, until the Tea party disagreed. Who on the right wouldn't want that deal? Only to take a worse deal?

You and I both know, even if you won't really say it, but the Tea party and most of the right want this country to fail, NOW. Just so Obama, and the democrats can be shown up. That is really sad.

And really your example of Obama"s vacation? If that is where you want to go, look at Bushs record his last term in office.
Bush vacation record
I know, that didn't come from your source.
And that right there is the chief republican argument for everything. The "liberal media"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 5:21am

Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Perry made it work in all industry's. Small business are doing well here too. Plus he fits socially better than others.

Yep, good ole Texas where 1 in 4 people don't have health insurance. Texas and Mississippi led the nation last year with 9.5 percent of hourly workers earning at or less than the federal minimum hourly wage of $7.25. Sounds like a great place.

Glad to see at least someone has looked up his record.

Anyone else care to google "Texas quality of life"

He even said the only difference between him and Bush, is the University they went to. Yikes.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 5:32am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

BREAKING NEWS From MSNBC (can't argue with that source )

All but one of the Republicans are leading as of right now in the RECALL Elections in Wisconsin today.

I guess the citizens of Wisconsin are telling the libs ONE MORE TIME, they are fed up with the old tax and spend ways. When will the left give it up?!?!?!? Hee hee hee!!!

I wonder what tricks they will come up with to try and stop this?? Lets see, I bet there will have to be recounts. Then, after that, liberal judges in Madison will declare the results invalid and illegal. Mark my words.

I am still giggling.

Anymore predictions?

One seat is all that it amounts to now, and all of the sudden Scotty Walker has this to say.

bipartisan

Kinda strange he wasn't talking bipartisanship in Febuary. I think he left a little turd in his shorts.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 5:34am
Can I get an explanation of what, if anything FDR's new deal did for our economy?

And how it might relate to our current situation?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:18am
when you say FDR, he dumped a ton of money into infastructure, parks ie yellowstone, freeways? or was that bomb droppin truman, the man had balls
btw, Mississippi, is the largest state, per pound lol,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 11:53am

Can I get an explanation of what, if anything FDR's new deal did for our economy?

And how it might relate to our current situation?

Depends on the economist. Some tout the job creation It certainly helped those employed on works projects, some believe it doubled the length of the recession. The problem is you can never go back and see what happens if you did it differently. All you can do is look at trends from different policys when they are tried. In economics they talk about multipliers, that dollars added into the economy multiply as they travel through. For government spending the multiplier is generally considered to be -1 to 3 depending on the economic conditions, for private spending it is I believe it goes from 1 to 14,the difference being the money for govt comes out of the private secter as taxes or devaluation from printing money, it's like taking water from the deep end of the pool and dumping it back into the shallow end and expecting the shallow end to get deeper. This is why trickle down economics works, the multiplier is higher for the private sector. You will notice that no one ever asks a poor person for a job, no matter what entitlements increases occur. Unforunatly when conditions are bad such as in times of uncertainty (now) the multipliers will always be on the low end. Certainly the stimulus multiplier numbers are very low.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 12:03pm

Now I play poker, alot. I am never taxed one dime on my earnings. By your argument I should not have to pay any taxes, since the players I beat, have already payed taxes on it. Should I be dumb enough to wander a few feet away and drop money into a slot machine and actually win, I'd have to pay taxes on the winnings. Not so in poker.

This is just what the wealthy do in the markets.

Not all earnings have automatic tax collections. The casinoes have systems in place to capture the large payouts but not the small. You are supposed to pay taxes on your poker earnings (I believe you can balance them against losses), it is up to you to claim them. (why would you give us this info, you tax cheat? ) There is something in the tax law that does not require you to invest more in reporting earnings than the earnings themselves. When you play poker you are participating in an earning activity, and thus subject to income tax. All money except for what the govt prints has been previously earned by someone. it is the act of earning and capital gains that are taxed.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 12:11pm

[QUOTE=OverMyHead] [QUOTE=phospher]

[Edit:
Also, if your supply side theory works then why do all sources point to a growing inequality gap?

I never said every dollar trickles down. There are many factors to growing wealth, you of course need some excess to save and invest. You need self restraint to not blow every cent you get. Just plain luck is a big factor. There are no guarantees, two people can follow the same plan with different results. My parents told me often growing up that life is not fair. The best you can do is do your best. This is a good lesson.
1987 Ski Nautique

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 1:59pm

Phil, yoi are a broken record I asked what else we can do about debt AFTER taxing the rich. Your answer( paraphrased) tax the rich,tax the rich,tax the rich, increase spending. Aaaaahhhhhhhhh.

You must not comprehend well. Cutting military spending is taxing the rich? And if you recall, bush tax cuts were not just for the rich. I like how you avoided my question though. And did you look at the link of the chart I posted? Hard to argue against that.

I comprehend very well, you would love to cut military spending during a budget surplus so you are giving up nothing. And the Bush tax cuts do effect everyone, thanks for bringing that up. This is a very important point. I have been arguing against taxing the rich and have been told that is against my own interest. I stated once they can do it to the rich they can do it to anyone. In my example I gave phil his wish, I said tax the crap out of the rich, and as pointed out earlier that is a 1000 year solution . We do not have enough rich to tax our way out of the situation. I asked what we do then. In Phils answer do you see any the compromise our president calls out for? Or just tired partison politics after I gave him his wish? He came back with the liberal playbook answer, closing loopholes and taxhavens had already been covered by taxing the crap out of the rich. Cutting the military is a liberal given, and the military is only 20% of our budget anyway, eliminating the military would not solve our problem, but it sure would create a few. Phil then recommended raising taxes on everyone including a 5% increase to the lowest bracket. As I predicted when the rich are out of money the liberals will come strait after the rest of us. He also proposed increasing school funding. How does that erase a deficit? I am asking for a real solution to a real spending problem. I would propose an across the board percentage cut, with congress out of the loop on spending decisions. No protecting pet projects to buy votes, let those effected make their own decisions and put the money where it is most effective. A very fair compromise.

You have this fantasy in your head that the government is going to tax the rich until their poor. But it's just that, a fantasy based on conservative scare tactics.

I'm not sure where you learned your trickle down economics but wow. Next your going to tell me your one of those Austrians. Over the last few years corporate profits have soared while unemployment has remained disastrously high. Where's our trickle? Why should anyone believe that giving more money to corporations and rich people is going to lead to more jobs? Our time, right now, is a case in point. Rich Americans have NEVER been taxed so little. There are a ton of loop holes, corporate welfare etc. If your trickle down theory works then where the F are all the jobs?

30 years of deregulati­on(by Dems & Repubs) and job off shoring has broken the back of middle class America. Under the Bush tax cuts we lost millions of jobs. The rich have no incentive to invest in America, because they show no loyalty to America. They just chase after the dollar signs. Hence the race to the bottom.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 2:09pm
Your President is going to create new jobs in America this September. One will be a bus company so we won't have to buy canadian built million dollar buses anymore.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Your President is going to create new jobs in America this September. One will be a bus company so we won't have to buy canadian built million dollar buses anymore.

Yeah, I'm not counting on or very fond of that guy either.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 9:34pm

Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Yeah, I'm not counting on or very fond of that guy either.

U think!!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 9:47pm
[QUOTE=phospher] You have this fantasy in your head that the government is going to tax the rich until their poor. But it's just that, a fantasy based on conservative scare tactics. [QUOTE=phospher]

No Phil That is your fantasy.

1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:02pm

If your trickle down theory works then where the F are all the jobs?

Obama scared them away. too much change, not any hope!
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 6:48pm

And really your example of Obama"s vacation? If that is where you want to go, look at Bushs record his last term in office.
Bush vacation record
I know, that didn't come from your source.
And that right there is the chief republican argument for everything. The "liberal media"

I actually like it when the group of thieves go on vacation, notice how quite this post has gotten, There is no damage being done. I did not complain about the fact that he is on vacation so much as his choice of destinations. Bush at least vacationed at home, we all know the president is on duty 24 hours a day and essentially takes the white house with him. Obamas decision seems either by choice or ignorance to flaunt the fact that he can do what he wants on our dime while so many are suffering.

Have you ever read Yertle the Turtle by Dr Suess? Obama has a lot of Yertle in him.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 6:54pm
For those that have not had the opportunity

On the far-away island of Sala-ma-Sond,
Yertle the Turtle was king of the pond.
A nice little pond. It was clean. It was neat.
The water was warm. There was plenty to eat.
The turtles had everything turtles might need.
And they were all happy. Quite happy indeed.

They were… until Yertle, the king of them all,
Decided the kingdom he ruled was too small.
“I’m ruler”, said Yertle, “of all that I see.
But I don’t see enough. That’s the trouble with me.
With this stone for a throne, I look down on my pond
But I cannot look down on the places beyond.
This throne that I sit on is too, too low down.
It ought to be higher!” he said with a frown.
“If I could sit high, how much greater I’d be!
What a king! I’d be ruler of all that I see!”

So Yertle the Turtle King, lifted his hand
And Yertle, the Turtle King, gave a command.
He ordered nine turtles to swim to his stone
And, using these turtles, he built a new throne.
He made each turtle stand on another one’s back
And he piled them all up in a nine-turtle stack.
And then Yertle climbed up. He sat down on the pile.
What a wonderful view! He could see ‘most a mile!

“All mine!” Yertle cried. “Oh, the things I now rule!
I’m the king of a cow! And I’m the king of a mule!
I’m the king of a house! And, what’s more, beyond that
I’m the king of a blueberry bush and a cat!
I’m Yertle the Turtle! Oh, marvelous me!
For I am the ruler of all that I see!”

And all through the morning, he sat up there high
Saying over and over, “A great king am I!”
Until ‘long about noon. Then he heard a faint sigh.
“What’s that?” snapped the king,and he looked down the stack.
And he saw, at the bottom, a turtle named Mack.
Just a part of his throne. And this plain little turtle
Looked up and he said, “Beg your pardon, King Yertle.
I’ve pains in my back and my shoulders and knees.
How long must we stand here, Your Majesty, please?”

“SILENCE!” the King of the Turtles barked back.
“I’m king, and you’re only a turtle named Mack.”

“You stay in your place while I sit here and rule.
I’m the king of a cow! And I’m the king of a mule!
I’m the king of a house! And a bush! And a cat!
But that isn’t all. I’ll do better than that!
My throne shall be higher!” his royal voice thundered,
“So pile up more turtles! I want ’bout two hundred!”

“Turtles! More turtles!” he bellowed and brayed.
And the turtles ‘way down in the pond were afraid.
They trembled. They shook. But they came. They obeyed.
From all over the pond, they came swimming by dozens.
Whole families of turtles, with uncles and cousins.
And all of them stepped on the head of poor Mack.
One after another, they climbed up the stack.

Then Yertle the Turtle was perched up so high,
He could see forty miles from his throne in the sky!
“Hooray!” shouted Yertle. “I’m the king of the trees!
I’m king of the birds! And I’m king of the bees!
I’m king of the butterflies! King of the air!
Ah, me! What a throne! What a wonderful chair!
I’m Yertle the Turtle! Oh, marvelous me!
For I am the ruler of all that I see!”

Then again, from below, in the great heavy stack,
Came a groan from that plain little turtle named Mack.
“Your Majesty, please… I don’t like to complain,
But down here below, we are feeling great pain.
I know, up on top you are seeing great sights,
But down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
We turtles can’t stand it. Our shells will all crack!
Besides, we need food. We are starving!” groaned Mack.

“You hush up your mouth!” howled the mighty King Yertle.
“You’ve no right to talk to the world’s highest turtle.
I rule from the clouds! Over land! Over sea!
There’s nothing, no, NOTHING, that’s higher than me!”

But, while he was shouting, he saw with surprise
That the moon of the evening was starting to rise
Up over his head in the darkening skies.
“What’s THAT?” snorted Yertle. “Say, what IS that thing
That dares to be higher than Yertle the King?
I shall not allow it! I’ll go higher still!
I’ll build my throne higher! I can and I will!
I’ll call some more turtles. I’ll stack ‘em to heaven!
I need ’bout five thousand, six hundred and seven!”

But, as Yertle, the Turtle King, lifted his hand
And started to order and give the command,
That plain little turtle below in the stack,
That plain little turtle whose name was just Mack,
Decided he’d taken enough. And he had.
And that plain little lad got a bit mad.
And that plain little Mack did a plain little thing.
He burped!
And his burp shook the throne of the king!

And Yertle the Turtle, the king of the trees,
The king of the air and the birds and the bees,
The king of a house and a cow and a mule…
Well, that was the end of the Turtle King’s rule!
For Yertle, the King of all Sala-ma-Sond,
Fell off his high throne and fell Plunk! in the pond!

And today the great Yertle, that Marvelous he,
Is King of the Mud. That is all he can see.
And the turtles, of course… all the turtles are free
As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.

by Dr. Seuss

1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 11:54am
in one breath, Obama's on vacation, in the other breath...well at least Bush was at home, is the right hypicritical? or only when they discover they are alot like the Dems too?
Bush was reading a Dr Suess book when the heads hit the towers lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 11:55am
and then he said, operation twin is a go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

in one breath, Obama's on vacation, in the other breath...well at least Bush was at home, is the right hypicritical? or only when they discover they are alot like the Dems too?
Bush was reading a Dr Suess book when the heads hit the towers lol

The same breath I said I like it when they are an vacation, I just question some of Obamas choices. he is going to the most expensive place in the us when 9% are unemployeed. He says he has a great new plan to to fix unemployment but he is waiting to announce it till after his vacation. At least he has prioritys. After al his lecturing about debt I will bet his fix for unemployment is new spending. Any takers?
1987 Ski Nautique

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 9:02pm
I wouldn't touch that bet. It will be the same old BS....:

- We must rebuild the nations infratructure (Hmmm! I thought we did that with the first porkulus??)
- We need to tax the millionaires, billionaires, and corporate jet types.
- We must extend payroll tax deductions.
- We must pass patent laws.

YAWN!!! This guy just does't get it. In my opinion, the only thing government can do to create jobs is to reduce our debt, balance the budget, and eliminate job smothering government regulations, lower our taxes.....and basically get the HELL off our backs!! Obama just isn't hard wired to do these things. In fact, he believes in all these things and wants to expand them. The economy won't turn around until Obama and his thugs are out of office.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 1:22am
David,

Still no predictions on Wisconsin politics?    

I'd say 5/9 is good.

Have the righties figured out you are in the minority yet?

Oh, I am still giggling.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 20>
  Share Topic