Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 26>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 12:11pm

While I was attending the police academy(I had medical ins) through the tuition was included access to the college health clinic. Some small "copays" were sometimes applied. I once a year get a shot of Kenalog for allegies, my regular Dr who I trust and appreciate usually gives me a break for paying cash he chardes me 25 to 50 for the shot, at the student health clinic the same shot was 10 when I told the student health clinic Dr how much my Dr charged he said that their system was what to expect with Obamacare- fair low prices for the same things. [/QUOTE]

When your in college one always go to the college health clinic because its gonna be cheaper
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 1:12pm
apparently, the "pill" isnt
"the things you own will start to own you"
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 3:36pm
I find it funny that those who complain about the cost of gasoline the most are usually those with the least efficient vehicles. Go figure. If you drive a Tundra, Titan, Suburban, or any of the barges you are getting what you asked for. If history has taught you anything you know that prices aren't going down over the long run. I understand that some of you rely on trucks for business, but I see UPS and the USPS are still in business. It is just rolled into the price of the product.
Gas is about $4.50 in Chicago right now, and it's cheap at that price. I think it's cheap at $5.00. A $1.00 increase only increases my gasoline cost $30 per 1000 miles, from 121.21 to $151.50, because I drive a car that averages 33 mpg. A $30 per thousand mile gasoline cost increase shouldn't hurt anyone who can afford a boat. Now if you drive some pig like the Jeep Grand Cherokee my wife mistakenly bought thinking it wouldn't use too much gas, and couldn't trade fast enough, he 1000 mile price at it's slightly less that 15MPG lifetime average is $266.00. A $1.00 increase in gas price makes it $333.30, an increase of $67.00.
A Correct Craft, or any other inboard ski boat, or any boat at all,is a pipe dream to most Americans. The US government never promised anyone a competition ski boat in the driveway of their second home, yet I see many here complaining about the sacrifices they will have to make so they can enjoy barefoot skiing. It's fun if you can afford it, but never forget how fortunate you are for your material trappings.
No one disputes that we are running out of oil. It will only get worse. We should use the resources of others as long as we can while developing other sources of energy. Natural gas is a good quick alternative. If we develop all of our oil fields that MAY be productive we will only deplete any buffer we may have as the world supply becomes tighter and tighter. Energy independence is the key to security.
I am also disappointed to see many of you "small government" guys looking to the government for a solution to your problem of not being able to afford the gas for the luxury boat you bought.
I don't feel any more moved by the complaints of the high cost of boat gas than I am of my pilot friends complaints of the cost of their 80/87 aircraft fuel. At least the federal government pays billions every year to subsidize their general aviation airport playgrounds, that's more than we, the boated, get.

Oil IS a global commodity and they aren't making any more.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 6:04pm
John,
Your post makes way too much sense. They will not be able to understand it.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 6:08pm
What about the bailout of AIG? that was Bush that did that. Remember? When Bush drove the economy into the deep muddy ditch?

This is the life
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 6:16pm
There is alot of Kool-Aid in this thread.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 6:40pm
very good point john.

while i don't expect the government to "help" with gas prices, i don't expect them to do anything to intentionally "hurt" them either...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 7:10pm
Man times are tough...my new ride. 35 bucks to fill and it gets much better mileage than the Durango.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 7:25pm
We'll see how long it takes for the economy to go into a "double dip". This is the third time since 2008 that gas prices have reached $4/gal and each time the economy has come to a halt. $4 gas has a huge effect in a rural state like Maine.

Nice ride Chris.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

What about the bailout of AIG? that was Bush that did that. Remember? When Bush drove the economy into the deep muddy ditch?

And, what caused the economy to go into the deep muddy ditch? The housing collapse, correct? I would be more than happy to help you understand what caused the housing market to collapse? But, I am sure you are well aware of it...or him, to be more specfic.

Barney....meet Glass Seeker.
Glass Seeker....meet Barney.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 8:15pm
Chris - Are you going to pull the Tique with the Nissan? You need some SN decals for it!

Sorry for the threadjack but it was DOA already.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 8:18pm
David - meet reality

crooks caused the housing crisis... the executive branch is in charge of keeping the crooks from doing stuff.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 8:20pm
is that a "what's in it for me situation?"
"the things you own will start to own you"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Chris - Are you going to pull the Tique with the Nissan? You need some SN decals for it!

Sorry for the threadjack but it was DOA already.

No towing with the Nissan, just a gear/fuel hauler when we ski out at my parents place or the sand pit.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

David - meet reality

crooks caused the housing crisis... the executive branch is in charge of keeping the crooks from doing stuff.

Not in this administration
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 9:32pm

David - meet reality

Joe....what crooks are you referring to? Bankers and mortgage lenders?

If so, they are certainly not without some involvement in this situation, but, it was the government/Fannie/Freddie that were pushing lenders to loan money to virtually anybody that walked through the door and, they would guarantee those loans.

My position is that if you left the private market to make these decisions without government intervention/interference, bankers would be much more focused on who they lent money too and would worry about getting re-paid. But as long as the government was backing and buying all the mortgages, the bankers went along with it.

Am I off base here?
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 9:45pm

David - meet reality

community reinvestment act mean anything to you?? that plus a lot of dumb and greedy people = the housing bubble and burst...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 9:46pm
AIG was largely unregulated
AIG sold insurance - mortgage insurance - CDO's - and they also bet against (hedge) themselves (betting that those mortgages WOULD default)

so they were playing both ends of the deal

Wall street packaged the mortgages and sold them off(to get more money to lend out) Standard and Poors rated the ***************ty mortgages AAA for a fee paid to them...

Fannie and Freddie also sold them off and bought/required Mortgage insurance.

This was a game of POP GOES THE WEASEL / MUSICAL CHAIRS
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 9:51pm
Bush squandered the budget surplus he had inherited and started a war with Iraq based on WMD's which were never there (a LIE) and began huge deficit spending...BUSH did.
This is the life
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

David - meet reality

community reinvestment act mean anything to you?? that plus a lot of dumb and greedy people = the housing bubble and burst...

Exactly right! And, urged on by one Mr. Barney Frank!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

David - meet reality

Joe....what crooks are you referring to? Bankers and mortgage lenders?

If so, they are certainly not without some involvement in this situation, but, it was the government/Fannie/Freddie that were pushing lenders to loan money to virtually anybody that walked through the door and, they would guarantee those loans.

My position is that if you left the private market to make these decisions without government intervention/interference, bankers would be much more focused on who they lent money too and would worry about getting re-paid. But as long as the government was backing and buying all the mortgages, the bankers went along with it.

Am I off base here?

There hasnt been a private market in banking since before the great depression.

The private market in fact lead to the great depression, since then we have federally insured all funds and as the us taxpayer is responsible for the money being paid back we better darn well regulate how well they regulate it. For that matter there is a whole lot of money out there being lent to the banks by the federal reserve so they can lend it out and make money off it. this is free money for them, in particular if they take no risk because someone will bail them out if they screw it up.

The housing bubble was an easily forseeable result of the fed holding interest rates at record low levels for a record long amount of time to stimulate the economy. (which if the bush tax cuts worked shouldnt have needed the stimulation). The finacial crash was the work of the crooks that falsified morgage and housing information, pushed through a ton of variable rate morgages that should never have been pushed through because they were only sustainable at those record low rates. But aside from those actually falsifying morgage,inspection, and valuation date that was just companies taking risks that werent all that smart...

The real crooks then sold that risk and called it gold and barney had nothing to do with that..

The levin coburn report was not that far off in concluding that

"that the crisis was not a natural disaster, but the result of high risk, complex financial products; undisclosed conflicts of interest; and the failure of regulators, the credit rating agencies, and the market itself to rein in the excesses of Wall Street"

The repeal in 1999 of glass-steagall started us down that road. When you allowed banks that take in our deposits and are fdic insured to now have investment interests it was only a matter of time before they figured out how to transfer the risk of a bunch of non government insured high risk investments over the deposit side of the business. Too much money involved to think that it wouldnt happen. With the complete seperation of glass-steagall in place the investment businesses and the deposit businesses could be trusted to each work in thier own best interest. Once we tore down that wall there was no way it would work without serious oversite, because in the new combined businesses it was in thier best interest of the overall business to transfer that risk to the government.    

Problem is that people that dont believe in government dont want to do the day to day drugery. I dont blame them.. I liked it better when we simply didnt let one company get into both business position. Worked pretty good for 66 years even.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 11:58pm
Right now the Banks and anyone holding a mortgage(no not every mortgage but a majority of them)if they had to "mark to market" or look at the actual value today of the asset(the property) They would find they are bankrupt. The assets cannot cover the mortgages. As people realize that the vast number of foreclosures has brought their own homes value down to levels below what they owe(and they have a little math knowledge)and that by continuing to pay their mortgage they are just throwing more of their hard earned cash down the rathole and they decide enough is enough(to lose) they will in turn stop paying their mortgages. It's a vicious cycle that has already begun. Your home that you were told was your biggest asset just became your biggest liability. Try to sell for what you owe? won't work. Get a mortgage modification that lowers your principal balance? fat chance. The banks are sitting on millions yes millions of homes that people have stopped paying on because they had to stop the bleeding and the banks have figured out that if they are forced to foreclose now and put these homes on the market their loses will put them out of business so they are sitting on them. The "values" they show on the books are fake false lies and they know it. They are hoping that some miracle comes along to stop this but good paying jobs is the only cure and as we all know there just are not enough good paying jobs anymore. Its gonna get so much worse than it is now. So many people lost any and all retirement funds to the housing and stock market crash that they will have no "retirement"...its work at McDonalds til you die now.

Have a nice day
This is the life
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 12:25am
Joe...I can't imagine two Federal Senators (Coburn and Levin) not acknowledging that Fannie and Freddie, two Federal GSE's (Government Sponsored Entities) were at fault for the melt down. Why, I am shocked!

I am sure a number of things went wrong with the system when it collapsed, but, in my estimation, the government pushing homeownership through Freddie and Fannie played a HUGE role. Why is it that the tax payer has had to bail Freddie/Fannie out to the tune of $150 BILLION + so far, and every quarter they come back looking for several more billion to keep them going. I doubt it was because of excellence in financial stewardship

Now, back to my point on Barney Frank. I found an interesting news clip that Fox News did several years ago about the timeline to the meltdown, and Frank's denial anything was wrong. He claims in this clip F&F were in sound shape, and the government would never have to bail them out. Well, so much for that....$150 BILLION later.

Not sure how to put this in You Tube format, but, here is the clip...

Fox News Clip on Frank/Fannie/Freddie

I also think that it was all the MBE's (Mortgage Backed Securities) that caused a lot of the problems too. Bankers were realizing that things were going wrong as a result of bad mortgages, so they monetarized them and ended up trying to make chicken crap into chicken salad, and sold them as investments. That only lasted for so long until the mortgages started going bad. So, again, the thread leads back to bad mortgages which originated where???

Not saying I blame it all on F&F&F (Freddie/Fannie/Frank), but, I would bet without their involvement, things wouldn't have gotten as bad as they did.

Come on Joe....admit that others can be just a little right sometimes
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 12:29am
You can be right all you want, I won't stop ya.. but no serious economist look at the meltdown includes any real mention of the community reinvestment act because it was such a small part of a small part of a big problem.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 12:32am
Joe...I can't imagine two Federal Senators (Coburn and Levin) not acknowledging that Fannie and Freddie, two Federal GSE's (Government Sponsored Entities) were at fault for the melt down. Why, I am shocked!

I am sure a number of things went wrong with the system when it collapsed, but, in my estimation, the government pushing homeownership through Freddie and Fannie played a HUGE role. Why is it that the tax payer has had to bail Freddie/Fannie out to the tune of $150 BILLION + so far, and every quarter they come back looking for several more billion to keep them going. I doubt it was because of excellence in financial stewardship

Now, back to my point on Barney Frank. I found an interesting news clip that Fox News did several years ago about the timeline to the meltdown, and Frank's denial anything was wrong. He claims in this clip F&F were in sound shape, and the government would never have to bail them out. Well, so much for that....$150 BILLION later.

Not sure how to put this in You Tube format, but, here is the clip...

Fox News Clip on Frank/Fannie/Freddie

I also think that it was all the MBE's (Mortgage Backed Securities) that caused a lot of the problems too. Bankers were realizing that things were going wrong as a result of bad mortgages, so they monetarized them and ended up trying to make chicken crap into chicken salad, and sold them as investments. That only lasted for so long until the mortgages started going bad. So, again, the thread leads back to bad mortgages which originated where???

Not saying I blame it all on F&F&F (Freddie/Fannie/Frank), but, I would bet without their involvement, things wouldn't have gotten as bad as they did.

Come on Joe....admit that others can be just a little right sometimes
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 12:33am
you are right about the MBE's though,except that they were the demand that created the bad morgages not vice versa. Check the timelines, also check the big money sitting in the system looking for investments starting around 97 (internet bubble).. that money lead to the lobbying that brought about glass-steagall ... that got the smart crooks working the whole MBE thing.. cheap credit with crooks seeing no chance of getting caught and then hugh demand for morgages of any and all quality.

its all there look for it.. demand always drives the market.. supply follows
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 12:33am
Woops, not sure why the double post. It took forever to download???
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:03am
While on a much greater scale this time, this banking crisis wasn't the first. The early 90's had the S&L bailout and New England was much harder hit that time around. Much of the same caused them both. A real estate market that got really hot with easy money and low lending standards. People getting paid a lot of money for loaning other people's money seems like a sure recipe for disaster.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:08am
The Keating Five...McCain...hummm
This is the life
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:25am
Uhm, guys. That was back in the 80's, you know, back when the Clinton's had that land speculation deal down in Arkansas, or someplace down there. We are talking about the meltdown we are still basically in.

What, do you want to talk about President Kennedy's and FDR's affairs next

Can I even get one of you guys to admit that we should abolish Freddie and Fannie, and that they are not good for this country? Or, maybe you think they are good??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 26>
  Share Topic