Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 26>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:37am
If businesses were privately owned you wouldnt need the regulations to keep people honest.. as again it would be thier money and they would think long term. But with monster public corporations it is all about the quick short term score, they are spending your money and the risk is yours and if it blows up before the people running it leave and move to the next one they still get paid. Without the real threat of enforcement and meaningful regulations they will push and push till they implode, or get bailed out. It is always more likely to happen after a time of growth because middle class people have excess money to invest and they put that in the hands of other people to invest and rarely care where or how it is invested.

I love free markets and fair competition.. I dont believe either is possible with massive unregulated corporations in the picture.

I am not a massive fan of all government but too often the small government guys are used and funded by those looking to make sure that the entrenched monster corporations can do whatever they want whenever they want.. and it eventually leads to disaster. Its the reason why man formed government.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:43am
History repeats, short term memories are not learning from the past.

It's not Democrats or Republicans, It's both, It's corruption in our government, big or small, greed, addiction to money, mo money...

Best congress money can buy...
This is the life
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:47am
Should have never privatized fannie and probably never have created freddie and it would have not only continued to work but also continued to provide income to the government. We made them private, the bush senior made them work to increase home ownership... but still left them private. That was an untenable situation and it put pressure on them from both sides. Eventually then they paid newt to find out who was ammenable to a little grease to let them run a little more fast and loose. Money well spent for them.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:54am
You ever heard of Franklin Raines. Google him. He is one of the guys that cooked the books at Freddie or Fannie, (can't remember which). We are still paying for his mis-deeds at the GSE. He took his $90MM and moved on. The public is still paying to defend that rotten bast%#*d.

Private companies can do bad things too...ie...Enron. But, large publicly traded companies need to protect their shareholder value and will quickly weed out bad apples before things can get too far out of control.

But, there is always risk. Its the nature of a FREE MARKET economy. Maybe a long way from perfect, but, it sure beats the alternative. Thats why I feel its much safter to invest in things like the S&P 500 or a well diversified mutual fund. It spreads the risk around, and limits the risk of having one company go down....be it through poor market performance, or insider wrong doing.

Also, just because we have laws or regs on the books to protect us, that doesn't matter. Guys like Bernie Madoff hide right out in plain sight and rip us all off. People have to make smart decisions about who they invest with, or do business with. Let's agree that some regulation is good, but, too much can smother growth and not do what its really supposed to anyway.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 2:04am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I find it funny that those who complain about the cost of gasoline the most are usually those with the least efficient vehicles. Go figure. If you drive a Tundra, Titan, Suburban, or any of the barges you are getting what you asked for. If history has taught you anything you know that prices aren't going down over the long run. I understand that some of you rely on trucks for business, but I see UPS and the USPS are still in business. It is just rolled into the price of the product.
Gas is about $4.50 in Chicago right now, and it's cheap at that price. I think it's cheap at $5.00. A $1.00 increase only increases my gasoline cost $30 per 1000 miles, from 121.21 to $151.50, because I drive a car that averages 33 mpg. A $30 per thousand mile gasoline cost increase shouldn't hurt anyone who can afford a boat. Now if you drive some pig like the Jeep Grand Cherokee my wife mistakenly bought thinking it wouldn't use too much gas, and couldn't trade fast enough, he 1000 mile price at it's slightly less that 15MPG lifetime average is $266.00. A $1.00 increase in gas price makes it $333.30, an increase of $67.00.
A Correct Craft, or any other inboard ski boat, or any boat at all,is a pipe dream to most Americans. The US government never promised anyone a competition ski boat in the driveway of their second home, yet I see many here complaining about the sacrifices they will have to make so they can enjoy barefoot skiing. It's fun if you can afford it, but never forget how fortunate you are for your material trappings.
No one disputes that we are running out of oil. It will only get worse. We should use the resources of others as long as we can while developing other sources of energy. Natural gas is a good quick alternative. If we develop all of our oil fields that MAY be productive we will only deplete any buffer we may have as the world supply becomes tighter and tighter. Energy independence is the key to security.
I am also disappointed to see many of you "small government" guys looking to the government for a solution to your problem of not being able to afford the gas for the luxury boat you bought.
I don't feel any more moved by the complaints of the high cost of boat gas than I am of my pilot friends complaints of the cost of their 80/87 aircraft fuel. At least the federal government pays billions every year to subsidize their general aviation airport playgrounds, that's more than we, the boated, get.

Oil IS a global commodity and they aren't making any more.

John, I can't let this rant go, Your premise is correct that those using the most gas complain the most when the price rises. Not everyone is retired, and not everyone who drives a gas guzzler has the choice to drive a hybrid, or can afford a 60,000 dollar diesel sprinter van. Many of us are struggling to get by in a very difficult construction economy and can use whatever break we can find. By the way, the USPS is barely in business and no where near profitable.

Right now gas is at a record high for this time of year. To say record high is cheap is a misrepresentation. When Obama took office gas was under $2, and I would say from a recent average that WAS cheap, but not now. The only way to come to the conclusion that it is cheap is to compare it to Europe, and that has been made artificially high. I am glad you can feel comfortable with the price but that is you, don't speak for the rest of us.

When Obama took office my American dream included a cabin and my 1987 $4,000 "luxury" boat. I have since sold my cabin at a reduced value to make ends meet. This is the reality of hope and change. That leaves the "luxury" boat to keep the dream alive, and five dollars a gallon will take a big chunk out of that dream.

Oil is a finite resource, but we are not running out any time soon. Known reserves keep increasing and current known reserves will last another 50 years. If you look at the rate of scientific advances in solar, fuel cells,.....that we have had in the last 20 years I have no concerns about replacing oil 50 years from now. In the mean time we have a global economy and we are shooting ourselves in the foot by not taking advantage of our own resources to be competitive in that economy.

We are the Saudi Arabia of coal, it is cheap and a great source of energy for applications like power plants. It is not killing us, our air is the cleanest it has been in over 100 years. I drive by coal power plants and I do not see black smoke billowing out the stacks, just scrubbed vapor. They are so clean that the wacko left is grasping at carbon dioxide, the stuff that puts the bubbles in our soda that we drink everyday, as a pollutant because the real ones are not a problem. Natural gas is great for heating our home, but it to is a finite resource, when we take the coal option away from power plants they compete for our natural gas supply and drive up home heating costs. If we start to fuel cars and boats with it it will only get worse. Each government solution creates a new problem. Regan was right when he said the government does not solve problems, it subsidizes them.

Us small government guys are not asking for a big government solution. I don't want them to release reserves, I just want them to get out of the way, stop regulating the industry to death, and let us have our own energy. We have china drilling sideways from Cuba to get our reserves, but we will not use them. We have Canada offering their reserves but we will not build a straw through which to suck it down here. How stupid is this administration? And how many more excuses will you make for them?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 2:20am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

What about the bailout of AIG? that was Bush that did that. Remember? When Bush drove the economy into the deep muddy ditch?

So you are saying bailouts are bad. Or only Bushes, and not The auto industry and others. I say they are all bad, Bush should not have bailed out AIG, I said it then and now. Obamas are also bad, I said it then and now, maybe worse because we were further in debt when Obama did them. You cannot excuse Obama because Bush did it. Two wrong's do not make a right. (although three left's can).
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 3:04am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Should have never privatized fannie and probably never have created freddie and it would have not only continued to work but also continued to provide income to the government. We made them private, the bush senior made them work to increase home ownership... but still left them private. That was an untenable situation and it put pressure on them from both sides. Eventually then they paid newt to find out who was ammenable to a little grease to let them run a little more fast and loose. Money well spent for them.

The GSE aren't private Joe. They are partially owned by the government, and partialy owned by private investors. Hence the term GSE as in Government Sponsored Enterprise.

In 1992, the Democratic House and Senate did send a bill to Bush Sr. And he did sign it. It was the "Community Development Act of '92". It was part of Congress' mandate to increase home ownership in low-middle income areas.

In '99, the Clinton administration pushed for even lower standards, and to make even more loans in poor inner city areas designated in the Community Reinvestment Act of '77.

The link below is a great history on the GSE's, how they came about, and thier roll in the collapse. Scroll down to the section on the "1990's". Great review of just what we are talking about here.

There were lots of "warning signals" things could go horribly wrong if the sun, the moon, and the earth didn't all line up just right forever. Well, they didn't and it all came crashing down in 2008/9.

History of Fannie Mae
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 3:15am
Yeah no - government chartered but completely privately owned from 1968 until we had to bail them out and retook ownership -- and it's still a small part of a small part of what caused the problem.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 3:34am
You mean "publicly traded" since 1968. It has always been a GSE. Part government/part private. They are now in recievership and are hemoraging red ink big time that we (U.S. taxpayers) have bailed them to the tune of $150 BILLION since around 2008.

Edit: Became a GSE around 1954. Hasn't ALWAYS been a GSE.

From wikipedia...
"Fannie Mae was founded in 1938 during the Great Depression as part of the New Deal. It is a government-sponsored enterprise (GSE), though it has been a publicly traded company since 1968"
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 3:39am
Hey there Over, I know it is hard for many to make ends meet. I say gas is cheap now because with each new conflict it will spike upward. A shooting war in the gulf or an oil embargo will be catastrophic. See what happens if a couple tankers are       missled. No one will then insure them and they will cease to carry oil. We need alternatives now. We do not have the reserves to supply our country.
Enjoy these cheap prices today, you will be paying far more in the future.
If you think that prices will decrease if we buy the Canadian tar sand oils I believe you are badly mistaken. The price of oil products in Canada is much higher than it is here, and they are selling their oil. The current price for regular at the cheapest gas station near my daughters Canadian home is $121.9 / litre. That converts to $4.61 / gallon Canadian. With the Exchange rate today that is $4.66 / gallon USD. Do you really think that the generous oil companies will discount it to you when they realize a greater profit selling it over seas?
As far as oil being the biggest US export, that may be true as of 2010, the most recent figures available for a calendar year:
The US exported $70,764,000 in oil products, however,
The US imported $335,881,000 in oil products for a net trade deficit of $265,117,000 billion dollars.
Source: Congressional Research Service report, 04-01-2010 .
All that is really added is a few cents per gallon. When taken in context with the cost of the imported oil we are taking all the risks of spills, air and water quality degradation, and all of fhe risks that come with refining and transportation for a few cents per gallon profit to the oil companies. That is why Canada wants no part of refining their very dirty bitumen. Roughly 20% of the energy contained in a barrel of bitumen is required just to extract it from the tar sands. Add transportation and refining and you use about 40% of the energy contained in the bitumen to make it into useable products like gasoline. In addition lead, nickel, cobalt, cadmium,arsenic, selenium, and other heavy metals are commonly found in oil tar and must be refined out leaving mountains of toxic elements to dispose of. Now I like a good Superfund site as much as anyone, but Texas refineries are as close to my home as I want them. The European Union doesn't want the oil because it's low quality and produces much more pollution than convention oil. That's why its going to China.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 6:27am
Well if you read the history of Fannie Mae then you would see that it was the unregulated private wall street investment banks that played fastest and loosest and kept on running fast and loose til death fell upon them and the disease spread from there since all homes are valued by the homes around it...

All it took was 1 borrower who had a 100% loan to get stuck without an ability to pay or sell and the cards began to fall

Fannie and Freddie didn't do 100% loans.(97% ya maybe but only to a guy with gold balls)
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 6:31am
Canada does not want the pipeline in Canada, check it out, they could just build it over to the Pacific Ocean but the Canadians don't want to destroy their environment again(see prince william sound) They want Keystone XL to sell the oil we won't buy to China.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 10:07am

Well if you read the history of Fannie Mae then you would see that it was the unregulated private wall street investment banks that played fastest and loosest and kept on running fast and loose til death fell upon them and the disease spread from there since all homes are valued by the homes around it...

All it took was 1 borrower who had a 100% loan to get stuck without an ability to pay or sell and the cards began to fall

Fannie and Freddie didn't do 100% loans.(97% ya maybe but only to a guy with gold balls)

If I were to take that whole history and boil it down to your statement I would get this "As usual dave your qoutes are cherry picked and strategically doctored... Way to continually prove the rights arguments can not stand on the facts ... " from Joe.

Your complaining about a symptom of the real problem and cherry picking who deserves the blame.

Barrack is announcing his latest housing solution today, (how many is that now? and we still need another) What is his solution? Government insured loans, Here we go again! We are watching another bubble being inflated by the government, but it will be the banks fault when it bursts.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 10:09am

History repeats, short term memories are not learning from the past.

It's not Democrats or Republicans, It's both, It's corruption in our government, big or small, greed, addiction to money, mo money...

Best congress money can buy...

I actually agree, Except I don"t see more government as the solution to bad government.
1987 Ski Nautique

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 10:30am
[QUOTE=GlassSeeker] History repeats, short term memories are not learning from the past.

Best congress money can buy...[/QUOTE ]

WoW!!!! Finally you get it. Now hold that thought!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 10:45am
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

[QUOTE=GlassSeeker] History repeats, short term memories are not learning from the past.

Best congress money can buy...[/QUOTE ]

WoW!!!! Finally you get it. Now hold that thought!

Exactly!!! Other than some relatively minor philisophical issues, our government functions the same no matter who's running it! Obamma ran as the anti war president. This week he's saying the same thing that McCain said before the election, that he'll go to war over Iran having nukes.

Joe, hindsight is 20/20 ain't it?

MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 10:59am
Don't forget Syria!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2012/0306/world/mccain-calls-for-airstrikes-in-syria-542396.html

After all the US does have one of the largest(if not the largest) Weapons manufacturing/exporting industries in the world....the more bombs get dropped the more money is made, seems like an obvious way to boost the economy

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 12:25pm
bomb baby bomb!!!!
"the things you own will start to own you"
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

[QUOTE=harddock] [QUOTE=GlassSeeker]

Exactly!!! Other than some relatively minor philisophical issues, our government functions the same no matter who's running it! Obamma ran as the anti war president. This week he's saying the same thing that McCain said before the election, that he'll go to war over Iran having nukes.

Joe, hindsight is 20/20 ain't it?

The differnce this time is Obama will send some nukes (WMD's) for us to find. Bush should have done that!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:14pm
there is a difference between really having nukes and a snipe hunt, Iran is an allie of Russia. Putin is back in charge, one of the things Obama did do was a treaty with Russia and medeved, was an arms reduction, but one of the stipulations was to ax a billion dollar arms deal to Iran....and he did, but, once again with rigged elections, Putin is back in power.....this will be one to watch.
Iran is to Russia as Isreal is to the U.S
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:15pm
Iraq was blown to smitherenes in the 80's, it was impossible for them to come up with Nukes, hence, Iran, easily has the timeline to develop nukes
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

You mean "publicly traded" since 1968. It has always been a GSE. Part government/part private. They are now in recievership and are hemoraging red ink big time that we (U.S. taxpayers) have bailed them to the tune of $150 BILLION since around 2008.

Edit: Became a GSE around 1954. Hasn't ALWAYS been a GSE.

From wikipedia...
"Fannie Mae was founded in 1938 during the Great Depression as part of the New Deal. It is a government-sponsored enterprise (GSE), though it has been a publicly traded company since 1968"

yeah still no- shared ownership was 1954 to 1968.. they were fully publicly owned and traded from 68 to 2008 when we took them over as part of the bailout... that they wouldnt have needed if the rest of the housing market wasnt crashing around them 98 percent of thier loans were still paying at that point.

The Wikipedia article is not wrong it just isn’t very clear.. but you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a fun wiki read look up late 2000’s financial crisis

As for hindsight being 20/20.. knowledge based on an understanding of history and economic theory proved by history might not be 20/20 but it is close. Those who choose to ignore or not study history and economics that then make decisions against the general consensus of those that do should not be able to hide behind excuses that they couldn’t see the freight train coming. It comes everyday at the same time, and it always blows the whistle a few minutes before… how can we really know that it is going to come today… I mean that whistle blew a few minutes ago but let’s go ahead and lie down on the track with earplugs in and take a nap anyway.

Of course government is corrupt and incompetent, and of course it is influenced by big money … one side just currently puts up its shoulders and says what you need there is less government and then proceeds to never decrease the side of government or make it work better… they say of course we didn’t make it work better government cant work better it is the problem… then they don’t do anything about the government
The other side at least claims to believe that government can do what we created it to do, and has done whenever we could keep the corruptive nature of big money out of it.. we can hold them accountable

Highest domestic energy production of all time is now, would I like higher, sure but can you promise that you could get higher without destroying the gulf or something else again… you can promise but surely the last administration couldn’t deliver… mines blew up, platforms blew up, water caught on fire, and yet production still wasn’t what it is now.

With a bigger government you could process permits faster and inspect more well sights… but no one wants a bigger government right? You can turn the private market loose but all history recent and longer term shows that leads to massive accidents involving dead people and destroyed regional economies.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 1:50pm
I've been through 2 boom and bust cylcles and many people knew the end was coming, but no one knew just when or how bad. When the big players begin believing their own BS, that is a clear sign that the end is near...

In defense of FNMA, they long had in place a rule that stated that people in the production end of the loan process could not be involved in the loan process itself, ie, selection of the real estate appraiser. All mortgage companies I ever dealt with always allowed the the orginator to deal with the appraiser and in the 90's many banks re interperted that rule and did away with their processing departments and allowed the originator to control the process as well, including verication of documents. Evan FHA got rid of their rotation list and left selection up to the originators. That was a corrupt system and contributed to the mess. That said, never once in 27 years, even today, have I felt that most lending institutions were thankful to the appraiser for telling them that a property wasn't worth what they needed it to be to do the loan, just the opposite, often disbelief with a "how can this be?".

Fannie and Freddie are worth while institutions and home ownership is still a good thing. Just don't buy stupid.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 2:07pm
fool me once, shame on you......I know its redundent, but I dont think this will ever happen again, If I knew now what I didnt know then, really, you know ive seen those approved loan apps going to the title companies....Laquisha Johnson, household income of 46k and their giving her 350k, At the time I was amazed and thinking to myself in 1996 busting 46k tryin to get 126,000, they took ball samples to see where my d*cks been...the debt ratio was right there but still had to purchase PMI, because i couldnt come up with the 20% down stroke...
I'll tell you what, my wife had stcks of these loans through Countrywide, Ameriquest, off the wall companies and to this day i dont know how they got away with it, at the time I just thought it was normal and maybe I was missing something??? what a scam that was
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 2:17pm
I bet it will happen again. In the 2000's there was a whole group of buyers and lenders that were young enough who didn't/couldn't remember the early 90's or found it too hard to believe that we ever had a bad real estate market. Right now things are very restrictive. They'll loosen up if the market ever gets better. That's human nature.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 2:34pm
aint no way Jarule is gettin 350k again
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 3:46pm
I know some of you have worked in "sales". Eric brought up Ameriquest...I worked there for a while in a huge room full of unlicensed (because they didn't have to be)"loan officers" they were 21 years old mostly who had no idea what they were doing, while being micro managed and PRESSURED to produce every 15 minutes by the manager...how much $$$ are you gonna close this month? you better hit your numbers, why can't you close that loan? you promised you were closing 1 mil, why is it only 850,000...they held people after work after 5pm at the end of the month to apply more pressure, and there was not a thing any of them could do about closing a loan after 5pm. It was ridiculous. I had a real estate license and had worked for a broker and knew what ethics were and knew what buying a loan back meant.

I heard one of them say - if you go through a broker you will have to pay closing costs but not here at Ameriquest.

I finally just walked out and got my brokers license and opened my own company.

As for appraisals--- It is a value good for 1 day--- Any lender accepting the loan package could demand an appraisal review or new appraisal---and sometimes they did. Jumbos always required at least two appraisals. Still an appraised value is only good for 1 day.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 4:31pm
Glass, what were your thoughts when you were trying to get these people approved? was there something in the back of your head saying "something isnt right here" what were the thoughts of your managers? why were they pushing so hard? we're they oking these loans at your managers level? did they have to go to an underwriter? im just curious
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 8:43pm
[QUOTE=GlassSeeker] I know some of you have worked in "sales". Eric brought up Ameriquest...I worked there for a while in a huge room full of unlicensed (because they didn't have to be)"loan officers" they were 21 years old mostly who had no idea what they were doing, while being micro managed and PRESSURED to produce every 15 minutes by the manager...how much $$$ are you gonna close this month? you better hit your numbers, why can't you close that loan? you promised you were closing 1 mil, why is it only 850,000...they held people after work after 5pm at the end of the month to apply more pressure, and there was not a thing any of them could do about closing a loan after 5pm. It was ridiculous. I had a real estate license and had worked for a broker and knew what ethics were and knew what buying a loan back meant.

I thought ypu were in law enforcement...

not that we need smaller government but i would love to know why we need 33 sign off signatures to build a new house on a perked and approved lot in this town........and why it has to be built so green .. the cost of building has gone up way beyond the value .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2012 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

aint no way Jarule is gettin 350k again

LOL. I bet she does.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 26>
  Share Topic