NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Prices.. falling anywhere?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Prices.. falling anywhere?
    Posted: September-18-2012 at 3:36am
Gas has been 3.99 here since a week before huricane Issac. I keep holding off on filling the 40 gallon tank in my truck. Is the price falling anywhere in the country?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 4:09am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Gas has been 3.99 here since a week before huricane Issac. I keep holding off on filling the 40 gallon tank in my truck. Is the price falling anywhere in the country?

Not that I have seen. I paid $3.85 in Cottage Grove Wisconsin two days ago, and $3.61 in Indianapolis the day before. I wouldn't hold my breath. Even if it goes down $.10 a gallon the savings on 40 gallons won't buy you a Starbucks, and on my car it wouldn't buy you a Snickers bar.

Where is that time machine when you need it? In 1972 I paid $.26 per gallon in Texas.

Looks like our buddies at the oil companies are giving it to us in the tailpipe. In July 2008 oil was $145 per barrel and gas was $4.00 a gallon. The price now is $99 per barrel and the price is $4. Where is that 30% decrease in gas prices? It's good to be king.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 11:36am
My mom drove a VW bug. Gas 26 cents life was good

I'm still not sure on how gas is bought today by these speculators but I bet if they had a stake in it things would be very different
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 11:45am
John,
the truck with the empty tank is the "toy pulling" truck. I pretty much use it when we go out of town to play... which probably aint gonna happen any time soon anyway.

It went up 30 cents over night before the hurricane. Amazing how it takes forever for the price even go down a few cents.

Other killer, we just got our quarterly "fuel surcharge letter" from our main cabinet supplier. Looks like an average kitchen's shipping cost is going up another $140.00.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 12:09pm
Steve,
At least you aren't filling up the 40 Gallon tank with diesel!! WOW, it's been a killer for several years. The only savings is the better mileage they get. I would need to really think hard about buying another one especially since you need that extra tank that you now need to put that emission needed stuff in!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 12:10pm
Still going up in NY + 2 cents this morning to 3.99 at the cheapest outlets, looks like they rode hurricane panic right through the seasonal changeover to the "cheap" winter gas that happened 2 days ago.. I have a 150+ gallon long weekend coming in 2.5 weeks, looks like I will be drinking cheap beer and mid grade whiskey for a while...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
At least you aren't filling up the 40 Gallon tank with diesel!! WOW, it's been a killer for several years. The only savings is the better mileage they get.

Pete, What year is your "Burb? What does it get for mileage? Probably makes little differnce with or without a boat behind?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Pete was does your" burb get for mileage? make any difference with or without a boat behind?

BTW,
what year is that?

The best I can get out of it is about 20MPG on the highway. It must be the torque of the diesel so it doesn't make a difference if there is a trailer behind it nor if the AC is on or off.

It's a 95. I want to see if I can make it to the 350k mark. (it's got 250 on it now)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I have a 150+ gallon long weekend coming in 2.5 weeks, looks like I will be drinking cheap beer and mid grade whiskey for a while...

Joe, After the first few, they all taste the same. A small price to pay.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 3:30pm
Where at 3.70 down here in Tx.. And seems to jump .10 every wk or so..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 3:46pm
$3.50 here in the city, $3.75 out in the sticks where it stays higher. Just returned from an expensive weekend outside of Ft Worth with the boat and a tear drop camper, pulled it with the 250 that has a V10! Only gets about 8 mpg, but my 150 will drop below 10 mpg and won't haul that set up @ 75 mph. The rest of year it pulls duty as the lawn truck and pays its own way so I keep it around.

If I remember correctly there were a couple of refineries on the east coast that were to be shut down back in the spring, and a refinery fire in CA in late August. Those things cause an actual disruption of supply, add in Iran and their sword rattling keeping the speculators bullish with all the free money the Fed is printing and we have $4.00 fuel for the boat.   I guess it's a good thing the steering cable kept it out of action for a while, I'd hate to have to cut back the beer budget.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 4:17pm
WOW 8mpg with a pickup!! I just drove a tractor trailer from Ct to Dallas and average mpg was 8.3.I had a light load of tortila chips.Average fuel price was 3.96 per gallon.The only way to survive out here is to keep your foot out of it. The fuel surcharge does not really get substantail till the price gets up about 4.60 a gallon and if you are real carefull on fuel there is money to be made.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 4:34pm
Gas at my doc is 4.99 but it's E free
I drive a f150 just put gas in 3.89. here in MI. it was 4.01
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 4:37pm
4.19 up here.I noticed on Saturday that there were alot of boats just idleing by. We were laughing about this and how it affected our prices. Then we found out they must be a key ingredient when this happened and now we have to pay more for a substitute.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

WOW 8mpg with a pickup!! I just drove a tractor trailer from Ct to Dallas and average mpg was 8.3.I had a light load of tortila chips.Average fuel price was 3.96 per gallon.The only way to survive out here is to keep your foot out of it. The fuel surcharge does not really get substantail till the price gets up about 4.60 a gallon and if you are real carefull on fuel there is money to be made.

WOW,how things have changed in the trucking industry.
In the late 70s and early 80s. I was in the trucking industry. Our overall fleet averaged between 4 and 5 MPG. 73,280 and 45X96 back in those days. We first averaged over 5mpg with the newly introduced Kenworth "anteater" and we were happy with that. One of our accounts was Jays Potato Chips and we pulled 45' possums loaded with chips. It didn't change the mileage much.
I often wondered why the light duty trucks are such pigs. I worked with a guy who drove a V10 Ford Excretion. He said he had never seen double digit mileage from it in the 70-80K miles he owned it. That included several family trips from Chicago to Florida to see the mouse. He traded it for an Escape and had enough money left over at the end of each month to buy a Mustang GT as a toy (car, not boat).
It looks like the Sprinter is pretty good for its size. I liked the fin boat story towing cross country with one.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

4.19 up here.I noticed on Saturday that there were alot of boats just idleing by. We were laughing about this and how it affected our prices. Then we found out they must be a key ingredient when this happened and now we have to pay more for a substitute.

Hey Gary, how long did it take the valve company to notice that their plant management was missing?

Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 5:02pm
I paid $4.18 this past weekend in Southern Maine to get the boat to the trailer. The weekend befpre it was $3.95. Gassed up the Camry on the way home in NH. Cheapest I found was $3.91. Got back to the City and the new gas station just down the street was $3.71. Arrgghhh!!! I've never seen gas prices in MA less than NH before!
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 6:01pm
They love to change the prices from state to state. You use to be able to schedule fuel stops based on previous experience not any more.What was the cheapest(use term loosly) last week might be most expensive this week you have to check prices everywhere every trip.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Hey Gary, how long did it take the valve company to notice that their plant management was missing?

I don't know John,but they were dead by the time they found them. How long does that take
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 6:13pm
Gas is still pretty much the cheapest thing I put in my boat....
Tubing Sucks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

I agree. My wife and kids in the boat are way more expensive than the fuel!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 7:08pm

But even their cost must pale in comparison to your monogram shirts, PFDs, and tubing gear.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 8:31pm

But even their cost must pale in comparison to your monogram shirts, PFDs, and tubing gear.

Thanks big time John!! You always have some interesting comments!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 9:08pm

Thanks big time John!! You always have some interesting comments!

I really hope to meet "the legend" (that's you) at the Blackhawk show and buy you one of your favorite drinks. Judging by your Atom, fine garments, and other tastes its probably Dalmore 62. In that case I'm afraid you're on your own.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 9:17pm
What???? Gas prices are high? You'd never know it by watching the news. Seems when a republican is in office high gas prices are teh leading story every night, because clearly it is the fault of the adminsitration. Now its "move along folks, no news here...nothing to see here..."
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 9:24pm
$4.01 is the lowest I've seen it this week. It's amazing, 2 months before a presidential election and gas hitting $4 and QE3 is barely mentioned in the news.

I love the spin that $4 is the new $3 and it will be good for us in the long run because it will make us conserve. Heating season's gojng to be expensive.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

$4.01 is the lowest I've seen it this week. It's amazing, 2 months before a presidential election and gas hitting $4 and QE3 is barely mentioned in the news.

I love the spin that $4 is the new $3 and it will be good for us in the long run because it will make us conserve. Heating season's gojng to be expensive.

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Can you not connect the dots?
This administration has pushed for alternative fuel sources and has threatened to cut of the oil industry corporate welfare. Of course the oil industry does not want that to happen. That is the explanation behind the price of crude being 30% below the record levels of $150 per barrel, yet the price is hovering at the all time high. The price will decline after the election as surely as it does after each major driving holiday regardless of who wins.. It is the free market capitalist system that we all know. Most businesses hedge their bets, you can bet the oil companies are doing it now. BTW, its not limited to the oil industry. That's what lobbying is all about. Backed up with a little persuasion its even more compelling. The extra profits earned don't hurt the bottom line either. Don't be nieve.
Also, the heating season should be less expensive than it has been in years. Natural gas is near recent historic lows. Why are we not running our cars on it too.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 11:48pm
John, I connect the dots way differently than you. $4 gas is the threshold that has put the brakes on any economic gain in my region. Heating oil is upwards of $4 and will pass that if it keeps going the way that it is. Natural gas is not an option for me or most people in my state. Although the percentage is dropping, most people including me, heat with oil. A half to 2/3 tank of oil cost $650 to $800 and goes 4-6 weeks if your house isn't big and is reasonably efficient, and you don't mind dressing warm. I'm glad I'm not too old to work.

I'd love to see natural gas used in cars. So far only fleets like municipal buses are using it around here.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 11:54pm

Also, the heating season should be less expensive than it has been in years. Natural gas is near recent historic lows. Why are we not running our cars on it too.

Won't help Bruce John. For some reason that maybe Bruce can explain,Easterners use oil for heat. As for natural gas for cars,I saw a Honda a few years ago at the auto show. Very nice concept,much better than a hybrid IMO. Here are two reasons why IMO is why it's going to be a long time in coming.1- It would take a long time to get refill stations up and running for cross country trips and the biggest problem- Taxes. If I fill it at home from my gas main how is the Govt going to collect the road tax? And you know the easist way to do that is-- put a gps device in each vehicle and charge per mile.You know how that will play out,just like it did at my old place of employment. Oh no guy's it's not for or to be used for discipline,it's for YOUR safety. People will be upset.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 11:55pm
I have got to learn to type faster
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic