NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2013 at 1:16pm
Its not a thread jack since this "Journey" (note the thread title) has to do with a long distance tow to get the new boat back home. Talking about the tow vehicle aint off topic. I know youre just upset that he didnt opt for the chrome package!

Chris, note the prop size when you get a chance... I remember hearing that the 176's came with some oddball sized OJ's. 12x17 or 13x17 maybe?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2013 at 4:44pm
There you go. Oh and thanks for the reference Timmy.

Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:46am
Zack I was just talking to Quinner about you. He said you have the rudders and he also said I sould call you something that I'm pretty sure I'll get kicked off the forum for

I'll give you a call this week about the rudder but I have all my resources going toward getting the engine running for the time being.

As for the 4Runner. I have to remove my foot from my mouth. I thought it was a V8 and it turns out to be a V6. My excuse is I don't own it because I was living out of the country for the last 5 years. Nevertheless, it's what I use to tow.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 1:07am
As for progress today.

I didn't get it started. I ran into too many obstacles. The tranny fluid change turned into a nightmare. I couldn't get any of the 3 pumps I bought to properly suck the fluid. (I couldn't find a suck-up for sale in my area and I WILL be buying one).

I ended up using a primer bulb like you would have on a small outboard gas tank to pull a couple oz. of fluid at a time. took me hours to empty the damn thing. I am really really glad that I put a 1/4" copper tube at the end of the hose because I had to get it really deep in there to get proper suction. Plenty of opportunity to get the hose stuck.

I took the spark plugs out and went to the local auto parts store for a replacement. They didn't have the same ones and couldn't find an equivalent.

****Does anyone know which plugs this thing takes?

I was able to finally get the manifold plug open and holy hell was there a lot of corrosion in there. The good news is it was dry because we weren’t sure if it had been properly winterized. I had to pull quite a bit of debris out of there and I'm sure there is still a lot more that I couldn't reach. Hopefully it will flush out when it gets water?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 1:22am
Chris - Autolite #24 is a common plug to use. Should be able to get them anywhere.

A cheap tranny pump is to use a gallon bottle pump from a beauty supply - I put a clear hose over the output spout so it dumps into a jug.

The manifold condition is not a surprise - good thing you rescued the ol' gal.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 2:00am
I got a Mityvac at Farm and Fleet Chris if your desperate,but if I had to do it again I would look into others. The mityvac is a sealed item you cannot take it apart for repair. After mine sits,say a couple of weeks the handle sticks. If you leave the pump handle in the down position it is almost impossible to get it unstuck. It has to be put away with the handle up. Other than that it does the job.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 2:08am
Chris in Iowa, do not use these words in a thread Quinner is involved in---
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

cheap,tranny,pump,beauty supply,hose,output,spout,dumps,jug or
ol' gal.

It's like the 7 words you can't say on TV
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 9:48am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Chris - Autolite #24 is a common plug to use. Should be able to get them anywhere

The 24's aren't the correct plug for the HO motors with gt40 heads. He wants the autolite 764.

Agree with Gary on he mitivac. The only place I've ever seen the suck up for sale is SkiDIM.

V6 makes a lot more sense on the 4runner. Toyota only put the v8 in he 4th gen runners.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 11:06am
I use a standard suction pump that I found at O'reilly auto parts. It looks like a grease gun without the pump handle.

Quinner has quite the way of expressing his love for other CC owners haha.

The stuff in the manifolds looks more like Scale build up than corrosion. try to flush them out before you run it because it will just push it all up into the smaller holes between the manifolds and risers. Always a good idea to change riser gaskets anyways to check for obstructions.

I have like 10 or 12 of thos rudders so I don't think im going to sell out! ha.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 11:15am
I didn't think this was the GT 40 HO engine.

Is it?

I thought from reading that they were installed on later year models.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 11:21am
They had HO motors as far back as the 93ish model year. Check the front passenger(or drivers?) side head for a 3 "hash" mark casting. That will signify GT-40 heads. If it lacks those hash marks it is a non HO motor.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Model - PLPRR12PP What is the HP rating on this?

PLP... = 285hp (this is the HO with GT40 heads)

The HO 351w was first available in 1992. The "GT40" motor had multiport EFI and came out in 1995... but the carbed and TBI motors shared the same long block.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:08pm
Score
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:14pm

As for the 4Runner. I thought it was a V8 and it turns out to be a V6.

Those aren't the only 2 of something you jap car fella's are missing, lol
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

As for the 4Runner. I thought it was a V8 and it turns out to be a V6.

Those aren't the only 2 of something you jap car fella's are missing, lol

Here we go again.....
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:18pm
Oh Snap! Timmys Big Block compensates for his.......... V6!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:19pm
At the moment plan is to go up there Saturday AM to give Chris a hand, if we get his boat fired up he said he would take me parachuteless skydiving afterwards, some kind of new extreme sport.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Quinner has quite the way of expressing his love for other CC owners haha.

You should see the way he loves CC owners' dogs.

if we get his boat fired up he said he would take me parachuteless skydiving afterwards

In that case ill go Friday to ensure its running.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:44pm

Oh Snap! Timmys Big Block compensates for his.......... V6!

Sorry Zach, no V6 here... my '07 has the V8. No compensating needed!

The 176 with the HO should be a little screamer. Kyle's 176 with the GT40 runs close to 50 according to the Airguides- I dont think we've ever GPS'd it.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:49pm
Hahaha, my appologies.

Pulled a G25 yesterday with my Ram. Impressed me with a 7500+ load on her.

Probably looked like I was compensating for something!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The 176 with the HO should be a little screamer. Kyle's 176 with the GT40 runs close to 50 according to the Airguides- I dont think we've ever GPS'd it.

Gps or it didn't happen... haha
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:53pm

Gps or it didn't happen... haha

Ive driven it, its legit- upper 40's boat for sure. We ran out of time at the last NE reunion due to Hurricane Irene... we didnt break out the GPS before the weekend got cut short.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 1:25pm
Irene, always being a fun muffler.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 1:41pm

At the moment plan is to go up there Saturday AM to give Chris a hand, if we get his boat fired up he said he would take me parachuteless skydiving afterwards, some kind of new extreme sport.

Quinner,
Forget that skydiving crap. I say get his ass over to the Martinique and let him do some grinding on that!!! Sounds like a fair trade to me. He'll learn quick on that.

Tit-for-Tat as they say.

HW will have a field day with that line.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 2:17pm
Quinner they say its the second bounce that kills you skydiving. So when you hit the ground, grab onto the grass real hard. Oh, and I'm totally not bringing any dogs around you. That's the third reference.

I can give you a ride home when your Tahoe breaks down this weekend.

So GT 40 it is. Sweet. That's like winning your own raffle.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 2:56pm

So GT 40 it is. Sweet. That's like winning your own raffle.

Err, not quite.

Model - PLPRR12PP What is the HP rating on this?

PLP... = 285hp (this is the HO with GT40 heads)

The HO 351w was first available in 1992. The "GT40" motor had multiport EFI and came out in 1995... but the carbed and TBI motors shared the same long block.

The GT40 was one of the HO 351w flavors, but not all HO 351w's were GT40's. A "GT40" has multiport EFI. There are carb'd versions and TBI versions as well (yours is obviously the carb version). All have GT40 heads... but having GT40 heads doesnt mean you have a "GT40".

Confused yet?

Either way, all of the HO 351w's (PCM called them all "Pro Boss") were great engines.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 3:05pm
Nerd Alert!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 3:16pm
Sooooooo..................

Am I happy?

Someone tell me if I'm happy.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Nerd Alert!
You wrote what I was thinking.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 3:38pm
Chris - You rescued a great boat that you can sell right now for a profit.     Be happy

Tim - You would be a great curator at a Museum!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic