NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2013 at 7:54am
If you have the time remove fuel tank and empty and then flush with some clean fuel. Check the sender while you have it out. Getting access to the speedo dampers will be a lot easier.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2013 at 11:06am
Andy, I just found out due to a membership I have Fedex gives me a discount. I'm thinking about jumping fences after we get all settled back in from boat show. Hopefully they can get a live estimator on my website.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2013 at 11:36am
Pete I completely agree with you about the auto zones and the advanced auto parts. I've had nothing but bad luck with them since I've started this project. Too bad because before I moved out of the country I used to do a lot of work on my car and they were very helpful. It's like aliens came and replaced anyone that had real world experience with a 15 year old kid warring an iPod.

Ill see if I have enough time to pull the tank today. I started looking into it yesterday and I gave up because I couldn't get the filler hose off.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2013 at 12:03pm
Chris - Keep in mind the lakes are still frozen, so enjoy the process.
It's not work, it's a Nautique!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2013 at 12:06pm
When I go to the advance or auto zone by my house I look up my own parts on their computers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2013 at 12:30pm
Chris - Before you pull the tank, I suggest you remove the anti-siphon valve (fitting on top of the tank) & temporarily put in an elbow. Then you can siphon the remaining bad gas from that line. Maybe jack the other side of the boat up a bit.

It would also be a good idea to clean the anti siphon valve, as they get gummed up.

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 11:13am
Chris I have been enjoying this entire process (except paying for things ; )

Funny you should mention the tank because I spent the entire day removing and cleaning it lol.

It was a ***#*#^^#**(()# to get out. The hoses running to it were so rigid and dry that I'm pretty sure I'm going to need surgery to realign my back.

When I finally got it out of there, I found a terrible mess. Everything was wet and covered with dirty greasy slime.

I found the starboard pitot tube fitting laying on the floor behind the tank.

Nasty mess

The tank after I got it out and cleaned it up. It was caked in slime.

Hooked the tube back up and made new holes for the mount.

After cleaning and vacuuming for hours. Can't see much of a difference but the shop vac is full of some nasty sh&*.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 11:17am
Chris I pulled every piece off the tank while I had it off. I even pulled the fuel hose all the way back to the filter and flushed it out. To my surprise, there was not a lot of terrible stuff in any of the pieces.

Even the stuff at the bottom of the tank didn't look that bad. So far, the tank condition is the only thing on the boat that looks like it was properly maintained.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 12:10pm
Well, at least the bilge was flushed each time they ran the boat!

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 12:49pm
Lol, that's one way of looking at it.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 12:50pm
Chris,
I too am a member of the "picked up a used red,black,white ski nautique 6 hours away with a 4 runner that needed a deep clean and full service right off the get go club".

I am surprised at the rust on manifolds and general neglect of your boat, especially considering how nice your hull and interior appears. I was also surprised your boat doesn't use the standard FL-1A oil filter. Sounds like you got a good deal and a good project! Along with the tune up I would replace the impeller right off the bat, I'll bet it is shot!

Was also looking at your sea plane shots... did you fly them down in the VIs?     

Good luck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 12:58pm
Thanks Andy!

Yea it's definitely a project but I guess relatively speaking, others have done waaaaaay more than I have to. I'm very happy to have saved this little hot rod from its very shallow grave.

I did fly the seaplanes in the VI. I was based in St. croix for the last 5 years. Ill post some pics.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 1:40pm
Chris, I like your style and that boat is a great find. This thread has been a great read.

That rear fuel tank area is just screaming for a pressure washer. It's satisfying just thinking about blasting that stuff out of there.

As "rather northern IL'er" (Libertyville) I hope to see the boat in person soon!

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 10:24pm
Thanks Joel!! You're more than welcome to jump on the boat when it's up and running!

As for today’s progress.......we have The Good, The Bad, and The Terrible.

Quinner took the time to come up and waste his Saturday to help me get this thing started. I can't thank you enough.

The Good--------WE GOT IT STARTED!!!!!!

Quinner pulled the impeller while I lubed the heads and turned the engine a few times. After this I connected the battery and turned the key........click.......then smoke. The engine didn't even try to turn over. I played with some wires and tried it again and noticed the positive battery cable was arcing. The wires had separated just enough to cause a sort inside the cable. We did our best to get it back together for a hail marry pass.

This time the little guy fired right up, coughed a bunch of black stuff out the pipe, and started idling nicely. It sounded really nice.

The impeller (getting replaced).

The Bad----------I took one step forward and seven steps back. I couldn't get a reading on the temp gauge, the oil pressure gauge was just pegged to full, and the fuel gauge wasn't indication correctly. There is some sort of electrical gremlin behind the dash that will require some more time.

The distributer cap and rotor will need to be replaced for sure. It's like the magical world or corrosion.

The Terrible--------------The manifolds are cracked. When we got it running they started leaking right away. Not a lot of volume but a pretty constant drip. I knew they were REALLY REALLY corroded, however, after running the engine they took on an entirely different shape and color. The pictures speak for themselves.

******If anyone knows where I can find a used set of manifolds, PLEASE let me know so I can sleep at night.

Quinner........thanks again bud!!!!! Beer is on me.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 10:48pm
Sorry to hear the manifolds are cracked, but not surprised. Be aware that the tranny cooler & U tube are also susceptable to cracking, since the PO was kinda clueless about winterizing.

You might want to clean any & all electrical connections in the dizzy, including the clamping plate (at base). I have heard of grounding gremlins from such corrosion.

How did it sound, once you got it started?

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 10:56pm
Electrical stuff is one of my stronger areas of knowledge. I can get it all working but its just a time consuming process. I don't mind doing it at all.

The engine sounded like a gasoline powered T-Rex. Beautiful. There was some vibration in the lower RPM range but nothing to be worried about yet.

This poor girl has just spun for the first time in years and I think everything needs to settle in again before I start tinkering.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 11:14pm
Anyone know if these are the same/equivalent manifolds?

Quality?

Manifolds
1999 Ski Nautique 196
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2013 at 11:58am
Somebody around here (TRBenj, storm34, Reidp, Alan, etc.) has got to have a set of manifolds laying around from an upgrade or from one of their 10 boats.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2013 at 12:43pm
No used manifolds here. Ja chamberlain and SkiDIM both have reasonable prices on genuine PCM manifolds. Those oscos would do the job (not 100% sure they'd mate up to your risers, but most likely would) but they sure look crappy.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2013 at 6:40pm
+1 on Tim's Osco assessment. I have an old pair from my 70 Ford 302. I believe they weigh as much as a bare block and are as attractive as a manure spreader on you swim platform.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2013 at 8:11pm
Yea I don't like the looks of those either now that you say it.

Do all the PCM 351 model engines use the same manifilds?

If I buy used off of someone, how can I make sure they're the correct ones?

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2013 at 8:26pm
I just uploaded a video of the engine running.

Short but sweet.

Video

another

Video 2
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2013 at 9:49pm
sounds good    just gotta wait for that snow to melt! :)   Brrrrr.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2013 at 10:11pm
Nice looking boat, it's only money.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2013 at 10:17pm
Chris,
Are you sure CQ came up and helped? I didn't notice any CL empties in the videos!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2013 at 4:59pm
Yea I was prepared for the worst after all the CQ stories I've been hearing. He seemed like a pretty normal guy to me. However, I guess that's how murderers lure their prey in. On the news they are always described as "normal".

1999 Ski Nautique 196
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2013 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

they are always described as "normal".

Normal compared to what, that total freakshow you guys got going on up there; Pilot's, Skydivers, former Military and the mere fact you are in Wisconsin!! Can you say "One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest".

LOL, was good meeting you Chris! Was impressed how quickly she fired up and never stopped running. You Definitely have some work ahead to get everything back in shape however at least now no big surprises.

Looking forward to a ski behind that boat, so get er done!!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2013 at 5:22pm
Yea, you mean the "he seemed like a nice guy but kept to himself" post murder news interviews done with yellow tape and spotlights in the background.
And the Wisconsin comment, well, hey dar to you, we're proud to be north of the cheddar curtain, don't ya know!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2013 at 5:46pm
You forgot rocket cars and sleds quinner. Yea I guess I might not be on the proper side of normal myself. I find it more comfortable on the dark side. Not as many rules.

I have my insurance coming out to check the manifolds and see if they will cover it with my "freeze coverage". Beyond that:

Steering cable on the way, cap and rotor, impeller, o-rings, and gaskets as well. Next few weekends are going to get busy as hell. I think it should all be done by the end of the month.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2013 at 6:22pm
Yea your not kidding Chris. I'm just blurring my eyes on purpose when I look at the trailer.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic