NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2WD or 4WD

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

4WD...."Dont leave home without it"!

Leave or leaves? Yes, I know how important the 4WD is for you in the fall!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by jbach jbach wrote:

X2,i'll take ours over any domestic, pulling the boat or not.

:stirthepot: plus, we prefer not to buy govt. bailed out, union built autos anyways. not only do they hold up better, they hold their value leaps and bounds better :stirthepot: [/QUOTE]

You're not necessarily 100% correct here. Pretty sure most of the import manuf here are operating in facilities that are controlled by union labor. Ford and Chevy are right in there with resale values as well.
I know my Tundra has 100k miles on it with only oil changes at 3-4000 mile intervals, rear diff fluid changed once and I just had to put brakes on it at about 85k. It's been turning 35" tires since 30k miles and is just a beast that refuses to let me down. I love it.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2013 at 2:35am
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

You're not necessarily 100% correct here. Pretty sure most of the import manuf here are operating in facilities that are controlled by union labor. Ford and Chevy are right in there with resale values as well.
I know my Tundra has 100k miles on it with only oil changes at 3-4000 mile intervals, rear diff fluid changed once and I just had to put brakes on it at about 85k. It's been turning 35" tires since 30k miles and is just a beast that refuses to let me down. I love it.

"operating in facilities"? i can't find a single foreign manufacterer that is unionized. maybe some suppliers? i know the plant across the river produces the toyo seqoua, highlander, and sienna. 100% union free. the camry is destinguished "most american made car" which beats out the F-150.

we will never own GM anything but, the only truck i would even consiider would be the ecoboost F-150, but i wouldn't trade my tundra for it. i have 100K on it with zero probs. i racked up 275K on my previous 4runner only replacing batteries, timing belts and tires. needless to say, we're a toyota family.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 6:37am
What are you guys towing that you need a truck? If I had to own a truck to tow my boat I would sell the boat.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

What are you guys towing that you need a truck? If I had to own a truck to tow my boat I would sell the boat.

John, I tow with a 6 cylinder SUV because it is what I have, but I have done it with a truck and the confidence level is night and day. My SUV is "capable of" a truck is "built for".
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

4WD...."Dont leave home without it"!

Leave or leaves? Yes, I know how important the 4WD is for you in the fall!

Heres one for Pete,

What I usually use the plow for..

besides the boats, there's this little 18 footer..

and the slightly larger 24 footer...

Sorry, I dont have the open car trailer here to take a pic...

...and the Pres. wants me to get a hybrid...

BTW, Does anyone make a one ton Jap truck to do this kind of work?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 12:54pm
That thats a big NO Steve. The newer Tundras are plow capable.

I run 1500 and 2500 solid fron axle trucks as plow rigs. Have since I was about 16 years old. Never had a failure in one. Both gas rigs and diesel. If winter gets super bad I just break out one of those old girls but It never does here anymore. Probably going to sell atleast one of them.

I enjoy the comfort of the new truck even if it slips around a bit in the snow being 2wd.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

That thats a big NO Steve. The newer Tundras are plow capable.

I run 1500 and 2500 solid fron axle trucks as plow rigs. Have since I was about 16 years old. Never had a failure in one. Both gas rigs and diesel. If winter gets super bad I just break out one of those old girls but It never does here anymore. Probably going to sell atleast one of them.

I enjoy the comfort of the new truck even if it slips around a bit in the snow being 2wd.

I hear ya Zach,
Years ago, I had built a 1980 Chevy dually 4x4 with a 454. 400/205 tranny/t.fer case. Dana 60 front/70 rear.

LOVED the truck ,she pushed a 9 foot Meyer plow. But thanks to $4 gas, could no longer afford to feed the old girl. Also got "Tired" of putting $1300. worth of tires on it every 4 years.

This 97 is my first IFS 4x4.. HATED it the first winter. Then beefed the front up and bought the Boss V plow. Now, I would never go back.

btw, the 80 had over 400,000 miles on the clock when I sold her 5 years ago. She is still being used to plow snow today!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:12pm
All our old rigs are Dodges. We would buy with plows and sell the trucks and keep the plows so we had as many as 4 plows at one time haha. Used to make some good $$$ when Indiana had big boy winters.

Dad plowed for a company back in the late 70's early 80's and all they used were lifted 454 regular cab long bed Chevy 3/4 tons.

I dig old work trucks but have been spolied by my newer half ton trucks for daily drivers.

Oh and Boss V plows are cool
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:20pm

All our old rigs are Dodges. We would buy with plows and sell the trucks and keep the plows so we had as many as 4 plows at one time haha. Used to make some good $$$ when Indiana had big boy winters.

Dad plowed for a company back in the late 70's early 80's and all they used were lifted 454 regular cab long bed Chevy 3/4 tons.

I dig old work trucks but have been spolied by my newer half ton trucks for daily drivers.

Oh and Boss V plows are cool

"Back in the day",(Started plowing in 1978.) I plowed 32 commercial accounts. The 97 had an old style Western "T" handle plow hanging on it when I bought it. Worked ok, but the 7 1/2 didnt cut it after running a 9 footer.

Sold the 80, with the 9 foot Meyer, add 3 grand and "viola" an NEW Boss! Hard to make that decision at first.. after using the v for the first half hour, never thought about its cost again!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:23pm
Haha cool. We still have a Boss poly 7 1/2 straight and a Meyer steel 7 1/2 blade.
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:29pm
If you have ever backed too far into a slimy algae covered ramp you will wish you had 4WD . When you need it, you need it. I wont buy anything but 4WD ever since I got stuck in my own driveway 3 times a few years ago (Michigan winters suck)

Foreign or Domestic is a personal choice, but if you want to tow a trailer full of Clydesdales up Pikes Peak, you will need one of these two- the only trucks capable of entering this competition.

Ford Chevy

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:34pm
Have you checked out the new 13 Ram 3500? It blows the competition out of the water with it's tow ratings. They can't build a manual transmission to hold the torque so the automatic is the highest torque rating. 850 Ft/Lbs,
30,000lb 5th wheel rating 18,000lb bumper pull rating. Thats stupid weight for a single rear axle vehicle.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 2:25pm

Have you checked out the new 13 Ram 3500? It blows the competition out of the water with it's tow ratings. They can't build a manual transmission to hold the torque so the automatic is the highest torque rating. 850 Ft/Lbs,
30,000lb 5th wheel rating 18,000lb bumper pull rating. Thats stupid weight for a single rear axle vehicle.

They can't really build automatic transmissions that can withstand any kind of abuse or longevity either. That's why it was so confusing to me that they just came out with a tranny with even more gears. Maybe they should try to fix what they got first before making things even worse? LOL
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 2:49pm
Sorry for the "why not use a car" post. I am very surprised how some of you guys work your trucks. Pretty much anything can pull a boat out, buy you guys have some heavy work going on there. I guess I have been in the city too long where people buy trucks as cars. It's refreshing to see there are people who know what they're for.
Disregard my comment and Carry on.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 2:49pm
All the new Dodge transmissions are money. They got a bad rap from the RE series which went away in 2007 1/2 on the Diesel trucks and 2009 in the half tons.

If you actually maintain the transmissions in the trucks they don't have problems. Nobody does band adjustments at the set intervals which is easy especially when doing a pan off transmission service.

When the fluid starts to change as it gets older it causes seal problems. The most common failures on that family of transmissions is seal failure and 2nd gear band failure.

My best friends dad always ran 06 and older Cummins trucks. They would go exactly 250,000 on transmissions before rebuild. Mostly towing highway miles.

All of our plow trucks have the "worst" version of these transmissions and guess howmany failures I've had in 6 or 8 trucks?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 3:11pm

Sorry for the "why not use a car" post. I am very surprised how some of you guys work your trucks. Pretty much anything can pull a boat out, buy you guys have some heavy work going on there. I guess I have been in the city too long where people buy trucks as cars. It's refreshing to see there are people who know what they're for.
Disregard my comment and Carry on.

John, no problem, I was driving pickup trucks to high school in the early 70's, BEFORE they were the cool thing! Only a few of us "rednecks" drove them back then. Guess we were just ahead of our time?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 3:26pm
You are such a redneck Steve ;).
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 3:45pm
Steve, I have seen your digs and its no surprise you need one. My recent experience with P/Us has been with a friend of mine. He has one for image only (along with a couple of cars). Steve came up to northern WI in his 4 door Ram with a big engine carrying one of his heaviest loads, a sport quad (probably 275 pounds). He bought my 64 15' Mark Twain runabout and pulled it home. He felt it necessary to call me when he got home to tell me the truck pulled it just fine. That is the kind of truck owner I know from around here.
Once again, sorry to all you guys who know what you need and buy it.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 3:46pm

You are such a redneck Steve ;).

actually, redneck probably hadnt been coined yet. I was considered a farmer back then. I lived in the country and drove a pickup, what else could you be?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 5:31pm
Haha excellent.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 5:57pm
4wd all the way
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 6:40pm
4wd is nice sometimes. I us my wife's Escape 4wd whenever the weather is bad and she isnt using it. It really opens up a lot of parking spaces in the city that mere cars cannot access. It is worth it for that. Is there really a down side to 4wd any more? Mine gets about the same mileage as the 2wd model.

flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 7:46pm
Can't believe all these answers in such a short time...must be Winter.

Nice value on the older 4Runners right now. I was looking at one myself. I believe the 05+ (5 Speed Transmission) and 2WD will give you all the towing you need for a Nautique and the best gas mileage. Not to mention the wealth of information out there on the 4Runner. Might even be able to find one under $10k.

stats
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 8:12pm
I know a lot of you guys like the Toyotas, but they really scare me. They have had so many recalls and with the severe frame rust problems on the Tundra and others I would be afraid it may not be safe. If they commonly break in half on a lift, imagine a moderate to severe crash. Toyota has recalled them and has agreed to fix some and they have been buying back older ones from owners due to the severity of the rust problem.
I haven't heard of this kind of structural problem with the Chevy / Ford / Dodge trucks.

A lot full of buy backs behind a dealership waiting for the crusher.

Frame swap video

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 8:21pm
You are going to get flamed, those are older tacomas.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You are going to get flamed, those are older tacomas.

OK HW, watch this! These are 2009 models. The Toyota looks like it has overcooked egg noodles, or maybe pool noodles, for a frame. Everyone knows about fatigue and stiffness vs handling. A good demonstration here.
Go ahead and flame away.

Toyota frame stiffness demonstration VS Ford.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 8:51pm
HW you'll like this- Back in the 70's you could not buy a nice
truck with modern conveniences that we take for granted now. Air,
power windows,locks,nice ride etc. This picture shows my Dads '71
472ci Caddy on the left with a couple of friends.L-R 27ft,31ft,
25ft Airstreams. All the car needed was a hitch and a trans cooler.
The difference between towing and not was 4mpg. At 32 cents a
gallon,no one cared.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 9:10pm
Right on Gary. Towing in style!

I'm fairly certain this is actually forum member "form&function". Reminds me of Larry's story about taking on water in his minivan at Lake George.

some white stuff for jbear

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 12:33am
HW's Caddy sure gets the job done.

I love the early 60's Lincolns.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic