NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MSD Marine distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSD Marine distributor
    Posted: April-08-2014 at 6:46pm
As most of you know, I'm a huge fan of MSD distributors and ignitions as I've been running one in my boat for well over a decade. I had it installed in my engine before my rebuild and reused it after.
MSD is good but you needed the distributor and the ignition box to make everything work in perfect harmony.

I was on MSD's website and I found this .
It's a ready to run distributor that includes the ignition box built into the distributor!!! No more stand alone box to hook up. Just drop the distributor in the engine and hook up three wires. Includes a completely adjustable advance setup which I can tell you is a breeze to adjust.

I know several here are DUI fanatics but this MSD unit looks to be the cats nuts and available for SBF and SBC marine engines. Anyone looking to replace a distributor should definitely give this some consideration.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 7:05pm
Eddie, where do you see the application for the SBF (presumably 302 and/or 351w)? I only see the 351C/460.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 7:28pm

It's cool to see a new marine distributor.
I looked around the web site, didn't see any SBF Windsor stuff
STD. or R/R ?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 9:54pm
the $400 price tag looks pretty nice compared to the SKIDIM kit for my protec conversion.... I'll have to keep a look out for the 351w version
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Eddie, where do you see the application for the SBF (presumably 302 and/or 351w)? I only see the 351C/460.

Damn Tim, I just saw the 351/460 and assumed it was the Windsor. That's what I get for assuming. Think it might be a typo? Seeing as there are probably very few 460 marine engines out there in the overall scheme of things and even fewer 351C marine applications (like none that were ever marinized that I'm aware of) it just doesn't make sense to me that they have a distributor for those engines and not a Windsor. Maybe those engines use the same distributor by default?

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 10:57pm
Same distributor, different gear for the small block as the big block, why msd doesnt sell it with the right gear all ready to go... well cause they hate me, or because the market is in big block jet boats that race and spend big money on go fast parts. If you go with a vic jr intake manifold though be advised the ready to run distributor is too big and you need to go with the older school distributor and box setup (and you will need to grind a little bit on both the intake and distributor body).

*edit* that distributor works with a 351W small block with a gear change it does not work with a 302w...   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 11:35pm
uhh..ski partner..do I need one of these? And if so..will you put it on? If I remember correctly you have a "MDS" thing mounted to your motor box..which is somewhere I never go without adult supervision.

john

edit: just went to your link..how hard can this be? only 3 wires!
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 11:49pm
That's 2 too many for you Jbear!
wholman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wholman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 5:20am
The distributor that you're talking about does have a Cleveland gear and as was said before all you have to do is swap the gear for windsor gear and you're good to go. It does run fine without the ignition box but if you use the msd box you gain the multiple sparks. With the just the distributor you get single sparks. I've used my mine with and without the box and it works great either way but I have the box hooked up in the boat because I like having mtiple sparks. Better idle and more power down low is what they say.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 10:35am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

and even fewer 351C marine applications (like none that were ever marinized that I'm aware of)

Eddie here is a picture of one in a Donzi,looks professionally done so there must be more of them. Holman Moody filter assy,could be possible
they marinized them? I would guess it's advantage would be in high rpm operation so ski boats would be out?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 10:45am
Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

That's 2 too many for you Jbear!

In John's defence,it's not the number of wires he'd have trouble with, it's what he'd do with that one extra wire after he's spliced up the pair
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 10:47am
Here's a Donzi with a Boss 302 engine. DHart and I looked at it last fall and we didn't know what we were looking at, but the other day I ran into someone I knew that said they were the 2nd owner of that boat, and they said the original owner swapped out the original H/M engine for a new crate Boss 302 engine. This boat was priced too high last fall at $16k, but has since been lowered to $9900. Are these Cleveland heads? It's definitely different than a regular 302.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 10:48am
Not sure if any OEMs marinized them, but the Aussies have been doing it. Clevelands are basically as plentiful there as Windsors are here. I know there are some companies that specialize in marine conversion parts for them, such as these:

http://www.kmrolco.com/Price_List.html

http://www.cassellmarine.com.au/c/217788/1/velvet-drive-conversion.html

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 10:59am
In simple terms Bruce a Boss was a 302 with Cleveland heads.The valves were canted in the castings \ / as opposed to a Windsor's | | to help with flow but in reality the blocks were stronger castings too for instance the core plugs were threaded in rather than the Windsors press in ones. You can put Cleveland heads on a Windsor motor but it requires machining and a special intake.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:10am
Putting Cleveland heads on a Windsor block (a Clevor) used to be the hot setup before everyone started making aftermarket Windsor heads. The big valves and sewer pipe-sized ports make for a pretty high winding motor. They're not too common nowadays because the Windsor heads have gotten so good it's not worth the extra effort, especially just to use heavy iron castings.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:13am
Thats cartainly looks like the real deal, as Cleveland heads' valve covers have 8 bolts vs 6 for the Windsors.

One potentially awesome option is the Kaase P38 canted valve heads, the ports are made to match std windsor configuration.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 2:25pm
I just talked with MSD tech support and he confirmed what Joe and wholman have stated. Change the gear and the 351C/460 unit would work in the Windsor. I asked if there has ever been discussion about making a Windsor distributor available and he said they ask the question to R&D constantly. The R&D guys must know something we don't. Maybe you Ford guys need to come to your senses and get into bowties

Still would be a nice replacement even if you need to change gears. Definitely worth looking into anyway.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

uhh..ski partner..do I need one of these? And if so..will you put it on? If I remember correctly you have a "MDS" thing mounted to your motor box..which is somewhere I never go without adult supervision.

john

edit: just went to your link..how hard can this be? only 3 wires!

I could talk you through the three wires easy enough. As soon as the distributor gets pulled and you see that gaping hole on top is when I don't want you anywhere near it...LOL

Your boat runs too good with points. If the distributor ever decides to give up the ghost, we'll talk. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Eddie
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 1:43am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Your boat runs too good with points. If the distributor ever decides to give up the ghost, we'll talk. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

now this is the kind of engine talk I can understand....

9am saturday morning date?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 10:28pm
So Eddie,
I STILL have the minor stumble under a heavy load in the 75 SN. I have got to think that it is the distributor/points at this point, and after checking compression, timing, dwell, etc, I am thinking it is weak spark induced by 40+ year old distributor/weights/springs/moving parts. What do you think about this upgrade?

MSD
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

So Eddie,
I STILL have the minor stumble under a heavy load in the 75 SN. I have got to think that it is the distributor/points at this point, and after checking compression, timing, dwell, etc, I am thinking it is weak spark induced by 40+ year old distributor/weights/springs/moving parts. What do you think about this upgrade?

MSD

Hi

I'm not Eddie (he's better looking than me ) but if you read back thru this thread and look at your link, you'll see that it has the wrong gear for a 351 Windsor.

It's got a gear for a LH rotation 351w/429/460 Ford.

You would need a gear for a RH rotation 351 Windsor. Pretty sure MSD doesn't make one of them

You'll probably have a few people telling you to get a DUI distributor cause they think it's the best thing since sliced bread and then Pete will jump in and make a point about keeping points in it.

KenO
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 10:57pm
Ahhhh. I will look at the DUI product and listen to Pete's sage advice.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 11:06pm
So I am assuming I would order the "351 W 7000 rpm Reverse Rotation" distributor, and it will be a crap shoot on whether it will fit??

DUI

I am interested in "vabration proofing" my distributor.

The DUI Advantage
Virtually Waterproof
Vabration Proof
Fully Electronic
One Wire Hookup
7000 and 10,000 RPM Versions
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 10:04am

I bet the picture above looks an awful lot like your engine.

Hard to tell from your picture but it looks like there would be plenty of clearance between the distributor cap and the thermostat housing/hoses, so not so much of a crap shoot as a PCM engine.

Maybe it's even vibration proof too but yea you should be interested in vabration proofing it too

Kinda reminds me of the Beach Boys Good, good, good Vabrations

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 10:21am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

So Eddie,

MSD

Hi

I'm not Eddie (he's better looking than me ) but if you read back thru this thread and look at your link, you'll see that it has the wrong gear for a 351 Windsor.

It's got a gear for a LH rotation 351w/429/460 Ford.

You would need a gear for a RH rotation 351 Windsor. Pretty sure MSD doesn't make one of them

You'll probably have a few people telling you to get a DUI distributor cause they think it's the best thing since sliced bread and then Pete will jump in and make a point about keeping points in it.

But anyways,depending on shaft size and mounting hole location in the gears, your old gear might fit and be at the right depth...........or maybe not

KenO

Whew, back from a week of vacation and trying to get back into the routine.

+1 on what Ken said.

The MSD would work but you'll need to find a RH gear and MSD doesn't offer one. The good news is that we have this local machine guy that's pretty good whom you also know. I would bet my next paycheck that he can make your old gear fit perfectly on any dizzy you decide to put in. MSD or DUI. That is unless the old gear is damaged in any way.
I'm pretty biased toward the MSD but the DUI is obviously very proven. The only plus I see with the MSD is that the advance curve is completely adjustable to how you and the boat want it. The DUI isn't. I think the MSD would probably not experience the diameter fitment issues that several here have experienced either. If you're willing to be a test mule and knowing we have a good machinist at our disposal, I'd be very willing to help you help you try one out.

That is a bummer about the hesitation. I know you've tried two or three different carbs, a complete tune up and checking over everything else you can think of.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 11:28am
First of all, I'm not convinced the dizzy/points are your source of hesitation out of the hole. That is more likely to be a fuel issue from my experience... And I know of many points boats that jump out of the water.

That said, ignition upgrades can be nice if your dizzy is getting a little sloppy. I have 2 DUI's and am a fan of their performance and simplicity. Joe and Eddie both have awesome running boats so MSD is a great option, too- if you can figure out the gear. Regarding the curve, Eddie may have been talking about curving the advance at home- though j don't see why you couldn't do the same on a DUI with standard HEI parts. Davis can curve to whatever specs you wan when you order.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

First of all, I'm not convinced the dizzy/points are your source of hesitation out of the hole. That is more likely to be a fuel issue from my experience... And I know of many points boats that jump out of the water.

I think the same thing as TRB on this but it sounds like you want a new distributor. May not help but it can't hurt.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 1:28am
I am getting a bit worn out tweaking the carb. I will go through it again. Sigh.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 6:58am
I had a stumble when I would give it hard throttle from idle. Rebuilt carb knowing it was the accelerator pump. Hmm, same stumble. Even switched to another carb I had. Same stumble. Hmm again. Check timing and found that initial was OK but the total timing was not consistent. It would either not come in or come in late. Went to MSD dizzy and it was fixed. Had to replace gear with a new one as stated before. Three wire hook up was a breeze. One to coil, one to ground, and one to key 12 volt hot. Total advance is adjustable also. One can argue points or EI all they want but try to buy a new internal combustion engine with points. Good luck with that. Everybody changed over for a reason.

(Am not a fan of EI conversion modules that you drop into a points dizzy. They tend to be flakey)
This should open a can of worms.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 8:50am
Hi Duane

I think that can has been opened a hundred times before this.

It's like Ford vs Chevy

What's the best oil

What's the best oil filter

What's the best coil

Gilligan or Mary Ann

And the list goes on and on

KenO

PS Mary Ann gets my vote
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic