Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Correct Craft Ski Nautique Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 10:36pm
Sweet Boat!!!!
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 11:15pm
pcjeeps,   PM me your addr.    Until then your 1/4" Lexan needs to be 11" wide, 10.5" high.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 12:23am
I just noticed that your profile says you are in Bremen, Indiana. What lake would you boat on? I boat on Lake of the woods. We have a orange 1972 Mustang. Would be cool to see you your boat out on that lake.
1972 Mustang
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 12:44am
Good old Lake of the Weeds! Grew up there, this boat has been on the lake of the woods since 84 to about 2010...just a couple doors down for where I grew up at the north end. I used to have the big red stingray 220sx i/o... Sold it a few years ago when I moved to town...pm me sometime...I'm sure I've seen you around the lake! I hope to put the boat in the water this weekend see you around!
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 12:54am
Originally posted by pcjeeper pcjeeper wrote:

Good old Lake of the Weeds! Grew up there, this boat has been on the lake of the woods since 84 to about 2010...just a couple doors down for where I grew up at the north end. I used to have the big red stingray 220sx i/o... Sold it a few years ago when I moved to town...pm me sometime...I'm sure I've seen you around the lake! I hope to put the boat in the water this weekend see you around!

We camp at ruperts. Would you happen to know the raglins? My uncle is re-building their old 1969 ski nautique. We won't be there for the next 2 weeks. But hope to see you. I'll be cruising around, don't be afraid to pull me over. I might be suprused though to see a 14 year old driving a correct craft mustang around the lake    .
1972 Mustang
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 1:07am
Doesn't ring a bell, but i'm not great with names...

See you on the lake...Watch out for the DNR!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 1:31am
Wowza!!! I need to check the site more often. Just saw this for the first time!

GREAT color combo! (I might be a little biased tho...    I thought my SBC powered 73 was a rare power option! Would be great if they could find the original invoice to verify the power, they found mine....

Here is a pic of my dash when I installed the depth sounder.... excuse the temporary Sun tach...my original Teleflex had been sent away for a rebuild. You can see part of my speedo's.

Like a few guys have already said, dont waste money on a wrap...buff out the hull and patch the damage for now until you can afford to have the repair done right. Get her running and go have fun!!
btw, I had 4 or 5 spots of gelcoat repair done.. Previous owner had installed a tower... first thing I took off and had repaired. Gel repair is not cheap...but worth the investment in the long run.

Nice work so far!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 1:35am
That is pretty much exactly what i have done, patched it up, cleaned it up and going to enjoy it until I can afford to have the gel patched/redone...some new pics coming from this weeks work so far...
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 1:45am
Just finished the repair to the front...before original damage photo is earlier in the thread this is after the crack had been ground and patched, and filler applied, then after some paint...

while that was in progress, got the gauges, wheel and mirror cleaned up and put back together...

Waiting on the carter carb rebuild kit to come in, then will be running it through the paces, test the cooling system/water pump, and then hopefully in the water this weekend.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 1:50am
62 wood, that red steering wheel is amazing looking. If I recall, that's original right? If looks just like the steering wheels used on old cc's. I can't get over that red.
1972 Mustang
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Chevy350 Chevy350 wrote:

62 wood, that red steering wheel is amazing looking. If I recall, that's original right? If looks just like the steering wheels used on old cc's. I can't get over that red.

That has been a matter of discussion before. The original owner still lives in the same house on the river and swears the red metal flake wheel was on the boat when he bought it new in 73. The boat was factory owned when he saw it at a tournament in Ohio. He made a deal on it there and traded his mid 60's Mustang in on it.

I have an extra black wheel from another SN, but have no intention of swapping them.

another point of interest.... she still has original carpet and upholstery... there are no signs of it ever having a back seat.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 2:26am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by Chevy350 Chevy350 wrote:

That has been a matter of discussion before. The original owner still lives in the same house on the river and swears the red metal flake wheel was on the boat when he bought it new in 73. The boat was factory owned when he saw it at a tournament in Ohio. He made a deal on it there and traded his mid 60's Mustang in on it.

I have an extra black wheel from another SN, but have no intention of swapping them.

While on the steering wheel topic, would you happen to know how to tighten that style of steering wheel? Our 1972 mustangs wheel has a decent amount t of play up and down and seems like it is just gonna snap off one day. Is there any way of tightening it?
1972 Mustang
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 2:29am
Is the play in the wheel to shaft / or does the shaft itself have the play?
I havent had this wheel off, but I think the hubs are tapered. Is it fully seated?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 2:32am
The play is in the whole steering wheel. For you push forward at the top, it moves forward. If you pull back, it moves back. It wobbles and seems lose. I was wondering if there was a way to tighten the steering wheel itself so it's solid and turns nice but doesn't wobble/move.
1972 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 8:00am
Those sparkly "the 500" steering wheels have been around forever but I still don't think it's an original wheel, Steve! They probably reused the hub and center cap though, those are teleflex like the original would have been.

Pull the snap ring, remove the center cap and you'll see 3 bolts that tighten the spokes to the hub. The big nut in the center will tighten the hub to the shaft.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2015 at 2:00am
And if you remove the wheel there are 5 screws in the back of the hub.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2015 at 7:56am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

And if you remove the wheel there are 5 screws in the back of the hub.

Potentially, yes- good point... But based on the wheels I've seen, the ones that have the swappable hub are less common than the ones that don't.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 9:26pm
Well some disappointing news!

Boat ran well on the hose, so I took it out to the lake yesterday and ran it a bit at the launch, it ran about 5 min then stalled, it then wouldn't turn over. Tried to but motor was locked.

Pulled the plugs and the back cylinder on the starboard side was full of water...so

The oil is slightly milky too now, it is interesting to me that It ran on the hose with no issues, but maybe it wasn't getting the full amount of water form the hose...

Going to be pulling the motor this week....

Right now I guess the plan is to pull the exhaust manifolds and heads to see how bad it is.
it has 325 hours on the motor from 73', depending on the condition of the heads and block, is it wise to rebuild everything?

Any suggestions, advice?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 9:37pm
Dont let the water sit inside it. Do a compression test to see if it's a head gasket if not. then pull off the starboard manifold first and look for signs of water tracking and rust. I had a manifold go bad last year and was able to see where the water went. No need to pull the engine just yet
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 9:50pm
Yep I'm going to start there, pull that side apart first...

I pulled the spark plug and cranked the motor until as much of the water was out that i could get, put the plug back in and the motor fired right up, i ran it for a couple min dry no water hooked up.

I'm hoping the water that got in the oil was just pushed past the rings in that cylinder.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 10:05pm
Just one cylinder with water in it? Any sign of water in the other cylinders on that bank? Every time I've had water in the cylinders it was due to cracked exhaust manifolds. But it was always more than one cylinder at a time.

Like they said, be 100% sure you got the water out and then start with a compression test. It that comes back good I'd look at the exhaust. If not, tear down and pray for a head gasket problem.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 10:11pm
The last cylinder was the only on that was full, the 3rd cylinder had a damp plug when i pulled them too, so maybe the back 2 cylinders have the issue, I will do a compression test on it before tearing it down...what are the acceptable specs for the m440?

Also is the manifold something that can be repaired, or does it need to be replaced, and where would i find one?

Thanks
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 10:26pm
With it being the last cylinder certainly there is hope that it is only the manifold.   As discussed manifold off and look inside for signs of water or cracks, compression test the engine either way. Don't get too excited about the actual value,report back all 8 of them here for commments. Ebasic power has replacements available Ebasic power for Barr manifolds they dont say chrysler but they get the job done.   I might have an extra one around but they are insane to ship.   Definitely dont take the engine out or apart until after you check the manifold and compression test.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 1:21pm
What joe said.

If it comes down to manifold(s):

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301644717930
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 6:21pm
Pulled the exhaust manifold today and didn't really find any cracks, going to do a compression test Saturday next...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 6:30pm
Any signs of water in the runners? I've never actually seen the actual internal crack in a manifold.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 6:34pm
The back 3 cylinders on the starboard side are rusty and pitted but the front one is not, hard to tell really...
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 6:39pm
And the Verdict is....

Compression Test (Bow to Stern)
Port side
120-120-90-120
Starboard side
110-115-110-0 :(

Going to pull the starboard head as soon as I get a chance...
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 2:17pm
Any updates?
1972 Mustang
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 2:20pm
not yet been working on other projects, hopefully will get back on it this weekend...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic