NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski 200 OB problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 1:13pm
With the addition of wakesurfing, you have to keep an eye out for a tsunami wave crossing the lake. I saw a bass boat hauling butt in relatively smooth water, when it hit one of those waves. Scary. He never saw it coming.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 1:15pm
A 206 is a 206.

A snob is a ski nautique with the bow carved out. 206 is much more a "sport" than a snob. And yes, I know what your capacity plate reads. CC really muddied the water calling it a ski instead of sport.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 1:18pm
One thing I've noticed on the 2016 boats is for once in a long time it seems CC has higher capacity numbers on their plates than say MC and Malibu.

MC used to always "allow" quite a few more people aboard their boats than CC used to. Guess I'm talking about the G boats. G25 is rated at 19 or something insane and the next comparable 25ft MC was like 14-15? Can't remember exactly off top of my head. That accident they had a couple years back probably made them a little more cautious with their numbers.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 2:23pm
I saw an OB ski boat recently(can't recall the brand) that had a gelled fiberglass insert.

It looked like a closed bow and you couldn't tell unless you were up close. I thought if I had an OB, that would be something cool to have.

Anyone know what boat I was looking at?
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 2:25pm
a newer mastercraft
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 2:26pm
It was a........
Mastercraft Prostar
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 2:26pm
Ah, forget that - lol.

Forget I even mentioned it.

Move along, nothing to see here.
1978 Nautique

LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

This can be an issue on closed-bow boats with 3 folks forward of the pylon....

Can I see a show of hands, how many folks have put their own rollers over the windshield on a closed-bow?       We all have done it in the beginning.........or when not paying enough attention.

Welcome to CCFAN: Great knowledge and help on this forum.........

Just a few weeks back I had the windshield vent windows open and took one over the bow > thru the vent window > on my lap.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 2:32pm
Saw one at the Atl boat show here last Jan with Toertel, and Jimsport93 and we three were pretty impressed with it. All agreed that the Fiberglass hood was pretty cool as you could even walk across it as if it were a close bow. (complete with antiskid) It was set up nicely with slalom ski storage and everything... Pretty cool but yet it was a mastercraft.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 2:37pm
And I see how you might use one, keep it closed 99% of the time and those few times you have extra friends come down for an evening cruise, open it up.

A perfect set up would be an anchored pontoon boat with all your friends on it, using it as a launch platform to pick them up one at a time to ski. (on your CB ski boat)
This way everyone is on the water and no one is left at the dock.
1978 Nautique

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 3:56pm
That convertible open bow is pretty slick.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 5:21pm
I have a playpen cover that I will sometimes leave on. I am not certain that I have ever dipped the bow with it on, but i would think it would be strong enough to shed a lot of water off of the bow. But, if it is on, then no one is sitting in the bow and you dont have the problem. So, I am not sure how the MC cover really helps.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

But, if it is on, then no one is sitting in the bow and you dont have the problem. So, I am not sure how the MC cover really helps.

It was stated earlier that you can walk on it. You don't have to unsnap it to go into the bow to tie off mooring lines or to hook up a boom or extended pylon cable and then snap it back up again. I think that would be a huge benefit.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 6:55pm
My point was that if nobody is in the playpen then your chances of dipping the bow are really low. So, why do you need the cover? :)

I think they need to have the driver go through a series of questions prior to being allowed to put the boat in gear.

1. Are passengenrs in the bow?
2. the bow may go under water if too much weight is in the bow. Do you understand and accept this situation?.

Or maybe a weight activated lock out for the playpen. If there is weight, you can't start the boat.....like lawn mowers that don't work in reverse!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 7:00pm
Why does your playpen have a snap cover? Same reasons. But this one you can walk on.

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 7:12pm
My little 1994 Ski Nautique OPEN BOW does just fine. I've NEVER come close to "The Hunt For Red October". No submarine problem here. I've gone from 40+ mph to idle in a matter of seconds, with no serious drop of the bow. Perhaps this is one of the good quirks of the NWZ hull.

Now, I can introduce a little water into the play-pen area if I get careless when crossing a large boat wake, but just a little nudge of the throttle keeps the bow nice and dry. That being said, I do have a nice snap-on cover for the bow when I don't have a crowd on the boat.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 8:17pm
So,   Once they're all at eleven, couldn't you just take the knobs off so no one could make it go back to eight?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 11:01pm
So, this topic really intrigued me so I did a bit of looking at the current 200 OB specs and such on the web. On the Nautique web site there is a clip that shows the awesomeness of the 200 OB. During that clip, at about the 30 second mark, is a short clip of the boat idling along. I took a screen shot:

The bow of the boat is VERY close to the water, and one can easily see how easy it would be to duck that bow under a wave. Note that the screen capture shows nobody in the bow area. In fact, the entire video basically does not show anybody up there. It really is only for an evening cruise or just sitting around. Other than that, I don't think I'd put people up in that area when pulling a skier and expect them to stay safe and dry in any public lake. The photo above doesn't quite do it justice. Go to the Nautique web site and click on the 200 OB. The video starts automatically.

This has been a real eye-opening topic. I have to raise my hand as one who has drenched my boat when I first had the machine. It is easy to do because there is so much weight up front in a competition ski boat.. now I keep that bow up when going into a wave. You'd really have to mind that nose on the 200 OB, or maybe even the 200 CB. I have to imagine the OB might be worse because all that structure and upholstery and such up in the bow has to weigh more than the simple fiberglass shell of a CB.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 11:09pm
One more shot. As the first guy who created this thread said, the bow eye is under the water (note the image of the boat at the far lower right).

I'm not saying this is a defect or whatever. It is just the way the boat is made. And it rides like this with two women in the drivers seat. Now put an adult or two, or even a small child, up in that bow and imagine where that nose would be.

Now imagine a 2016 G23 crosses 100 yards in front of this scene pulling a rider...

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:11am
I concur
Takes more than a nudge of throttle to lift the bow when there are six people fore of the pylon
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:16am
Yikes That bow is way scary low for a kazillion dollar boat and so so hard to believe they'd actually use that in a marketing campaign. Granted the Southwind has a larger ski wake, but it does just fine for the average non-finicky old school skier, and it'd take a tsunami for me to ever once take one over the bow.....

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:38am
Oh - the 200 ob is a terrible and dangerous boat - being the nice guy I am I will be happy to help out those whose safety is at risk from these terrible machines. I'll give ya 20k and take that death trap away... sure you will take a small hit but think of your family's safety.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 1:02am
The original marketing piece - which was ultimately rejected.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 2:30am
Joe - Ha ha.... I agree. I would be happy to be working through this "problem" with my 200!!!!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 2:46am
And - my last over-posting comment here. The closed bow is different. Sure, there is weight aft of the engine in this screen capture here but sill, the bow eye is well above the water. Gives more "weight" to my supposition that all that stuff up in the open bow must push down the nose a bit or, to put it in aerospace terms, it plays with the weight and balance of the craft a bit. :)

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 7:50am
The CB and OB versions of the 200 are the same. The biggest difference you're seeing is the boat at a standstill vs idle. You might be surprised how close the nose of your 93 is to the water at idle with 2 people up front.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 8:43am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The CB and OB versions of the 200 are the same. The biggest difference you're seeing is the boat at a standstill vs idle. .

And the OB has everyone up front in the pics, whereas the CB has one person in the rear helping to offset the load in front of the pylon.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 10:50am
As Tim said, momentum has far more to do with the bow height.

I prefer to take big waves parallel to the boat. No throttle needed.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 11:29am
Tim - They are both moving through the water at idle in those screen shots. There is a difference. But as HW said it could be more to the fact that there is a person aft of the engine in the CB shot.

The nose of my CB sits lower than it should - the driver needs to lose some weight!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 11:39am
I don't think the 2 boats are traveling at the same speed in those screen shots. Having one person in the back vs that same person in the front is a huge swing, double the weight difference.

This looks closer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic