NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

getting ready to winterize

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2016 at 10:17pm
You are correct..it was bright pink, but still cloudy and milky. So I just got done running the boat "dry" for 4 minutes. I did a change again. Here is a pic after this last change.

(yes, it's an old Bloody Mary mix bottle! )

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
n7narcosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7narcosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2016 at 10:53pm
This is my first post here as I am a new CC owner... I hope that this is the most appropriate way to join a conversation (let me know if I should have created my own topic as to not step on any toes), from what I can see the support available here on this forum is very welcoming!

Flyweed has water in his trans fluid, and hope for him that it was nothing more that a breather valve slurp of water...

I am the eager guy that replaced a corroded trans dip stick, and changed the fluid quickly as lord only knows how long the mystery fluid was in there since the dip stick was so heavily corroded --- trans runs beautifully from what I can tell... BUT I put in synthetic instead of the conventional, to which I'm now reading is a no-no -- what should I do to remedy, same steps as what Flyweed has done?

Also, moving to winterize in a few days, I have a new "fake-a-lake" attachment on the raw water intake; it is safe practice to run from a bucket of 50/50 or RV antifreeze until fluid runs out exhaust... or should I be pulling all threaded plugs and following the steps found here? --- also, my cooling is split:
RW for exhaust only, the block is already antifreeze; with a copper intercooler on the driverside of the motor.
1989 Correct Craft Martinique CB --- 351W
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2016 at 11:25pm
Fly can you hold it up and see the light through it? If not, flush again.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2016 at 11:26pm
I would extract, fill, run & extract about 3 times to get all the synthetic out of there.

Best to pull water drain plugs before adding A/F.   

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2016 at 11:27pm
Dan, I'd call it good for winter and take a look at the oil again after a few hours of run time next spring. Still do the cooler pressure test though.

Hi Jason, welcome to the site! Even though you are just winterizing the exhaust side and heat exchanger I'd still attempt to drain as much water out as possible prior to adding antifreeze. So that means the strainer, risers, transmission cooler (I assume this is still fed raw water?) and of course the heat exchanger. Once water is out you can suck the antifreeze through from a bucket, won't take much since you aren't filling the block.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 12:09am
yep, I can see light through...I am gonna call it good for the winter. I re-fogged the engine again, since the last couple runs burned off my original fogging fluid. I will pull the trans. cooler and pressure test..other than that, it's time to wash her and wax her good and put it to bed for the winter
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7narcosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 12:10am
Thanks for the warm welcome and support!

I will get that synthetic out this weekend, I'll grab 6 quarts tomorrow... What would you suggest for proper trans fluid? Is there a few different options or a particular fluid that I need to search for?

Once the trans mistake is corrected, I'll be sure to pull her out and drain from all the plugs not associated to the closed cooling system, including the raw water side of the heat exchanger and trans (yes, is raw water cooled)

I've waited a long time to find this particular boat! Here is an image of my new girlfriend to introduce:
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 1:03am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

From the picture, it still looks like it has a milky tint to it. I'd run the engine again and do one more ATF change.

I would agree, the color does not look right. It could be the camera, lighting or my screen. However, the color does not look right, it does not appear clear as should be. Pour a small amount of trans fluid from a new bottle into a clear container and compare color with what is in that picture, I think you will see a difference.

So, your original question is do you need to replace the trans cooler. The pressure testing as suggested above would give you that answer but may be harder for you to do with the available tools. You can also go the route you are going via changing the fluid as you will have to change the fluid any how and it is cheep. Anyhow, I would change the fluid one more time if the fluid removed from the trans is not as clear as a comparison to fresh fluid in a clear container comparison. Then run the motor with out water and see if there is any change. Then add water and continue to run the motor with water attached. and recheck the fluid. If the fluid stays clean you are all good, If the trans fluid becomes milky again trans cooler repair or replacement is in order.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 12:10pm
Your girlfriend has a beard.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Your girlfriend has a beard.

Well he is from Canada, yeah hey dere, so she is probably starting her playoff beard early
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7narcosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 1:19pm
LOL! I walked straight into that one... We all grow beards up here, got to keep warm 'eh!
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2016 at 4:45pm
just a quick update..my Trans. Cooler was indeed the culprit. did a pressure test on it, and I could actually hear a little air escaping from somewhere, with the top and bottom capped off. So, just got my new one from Skidim, and installed it. Pretty simple and straightforward..now I am going to drain Trans fluid one more time this fall, and then put it away for the winter.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7narcosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 1:47am
Glad to hear you got it resolved. And thanks for sharing, now I know what to look for if I see cloudy trans fluid.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 1:56am
Nice to find the solution to the problem!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 7:39am
Dan,
It's always a great feeling to test and confirm a problem. I'm glad you found it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1980nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 8:12pm
The heated garage is nice until the power goes out for longer than a day!!!!
1980nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I find it easier just to park the boat in a heated garage

Heated garages are nice until the power goes out for longer than a day
RadaRider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2016 at 8:02pm
Is this the engine block drain for the starboard (drivers) side of my GT-40? Note the hose coming out of it which leads to a brass t-fitting connected to the intake manifold. It is located directly under the front (#1?) cylinder.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2016 at 8:17pm
Like I said in the other thread, that's the drain. Take the hose off to drain

Just make sure you drain/blow out the heater or whatever is connected there in place of the drain.
RadaRider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2016 at 8:22pm
got it. Sorry, I must have missed it before. Thanks for the clarification. It just seemed unfamiliar because of the hose connected to it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2016 at 9:24pm
No problem

Just redo the drain so you'll sleep this winter without worrying about the boat.

Somebody should be along to tell how to winterize the heater if that's where that hose goes.

Little slow right now
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2016 at 11:20pm
That hose looks like what I did when I found my heater was leaking and bypassed it. It is running from the supply to return. I never had to winterize the heater since I noticed the wet spot under the dash and rust line running out of the bottom of the heater. I removed the heater the first summer I had it.
'92 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2016 at 1:51am
If you've got a heater, disconnect that hose that is going to the engine drain. Find the other hose that feeds the heater, probably is coming off the top front of the engine somewhere, disconnect that one as well. You can blow water out with a compressor, then hold the upper hose up and pour some antifreeze into it until you see it come out the lower hose.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2016 at 9:50am
Or just blow it out with your mouth and skip the antifreeze.

Garden hose quick disconnects make winterizing the heater a real quick and easy process.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2016 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by 1980nautique 1980nautique wrote:

Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I find it easier just to park the boat in a heated garage

Heated garages are nice until the power goes out for longer than a day

Never had it go off for over a day and radiant floor heat helped slow cooling process.
But if needed I have a generator that can run the oil fired boiler.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 6:20pm
Lots of talk in this thread about RV antifreeze so I thought I'd give a good visual image of RV antifreeze after it spent a night in single digit temperatures.

The bottle was upside down in a snowbank and turned right side up to get the picture.
I couldn't rotate the picture to save my life. Maybe somebody will fix it.

After the discussions it shouldn't surprise anyone that it's frozen.

It also shouldn't be a surprise that it doesn't expand and cause engine damage unless it gets colder than it's burst point, which for this stuff (Splash -50 RV antifreeze )was minus 50 degrees.F . According to it's MSDS sheet it's melting point is about 8.5 degrees F which would be the same as it's freezing point depending on which direction you're coming from

The Splash minus 100 degree F stuff has pretty much the same melting/freezing point (about 7 degrees F) but a lower burst temp.

So just because it's pretty solid doesn't mean it will cause damage................unless it's been diluted "because you didn't get all the water out before putting the antifreeze in, then it's just a crap shoot.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 6:31pm
So the minus 100 stuff freezes too? I've been buying that stuff the last few years as I figured it had a lower freezing point. Maybe filling the engine up with anti freeze and then draining it is the best way to go. I hate the thought of frozen fluid in an engine.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 6:36pm
Like Ken said, don't confuse freezing with burst. It's well known that the -50 red stuff turns into slush at pretty modest temps, and then almost solid as he described. But, it doesn't freeze hard and then expand the way water would in the same conditions.

I'm considering switching to the -100 just because it sounds like there are other reasons to do so, but then again I've used the red stuff for a lot of years in a lot of boats and never had a problem, and we get some cold weather here obviously.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 6:37pm
Interesting...I guess my garage holds more heat than i thought. I've never noticed the unused bottles of -50 or -75 to be solid during the winter months.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2016 at 12:01am
geez I love these threads every winter..........

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic