Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stereo installs........

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stereo installs........
    Posted: January-31-2007 at 9:56pm
guys looking for someone who can isnstall stereo equip. in ohio..........i have a 94 ski nautique. im hooking up 4 new polk db 650s....i have a kenwood 45x4 headunit.....i also have a brandnew never been used marine battery plus new boat batt. im looking to purchase a blaupunkt tha275 thin series amp to power my polks......install a ma audio m1889i mono block amp to power a power acoustik lt480 12" subwoofer............iwould like to pay someone who has exp. with this type of setup....located in chippewa lake ohio..
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 12:51am
Ryan,
I am about an hour and a half away from you. If you would like to drive out here i would be will to do the work. I used to run a car audio shop so i can find my way around the install bay. I did my first nautique it was a 1994 ski. You can put 2 12 in subs under the spotter seat I had 2 MB quart subs. All alpine 6.5 and mtx amps. Did your boat come with a factory system in it ?             Preston
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 2:41pm
Ryan,

I could come out there and help you set it up.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 3:14pm
Ryan,
I got the perfect guy for you, he owns sound effects up here in Brunswick, let me know if your interested, he owes me some favors
"the things you own will start to own you"
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 7:36pm
guys thanks for the offers...yes it does have a factory stereo...........eric-what kind of money ami looking at?......randy and preston.......depending on what kind of coin sound effects is charging, i may just let them mess with it.....then again i can get the garage warm with a heater overnight and we could go to town on it one day........thanks agin........
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:21pm
Ryan,

If you get all the wire, etc. you are going to need, and warm up the garage, I will come out and set it up for you. I could come out this weekend or sometime next week. I have done a lot of sound systems. I used to install\maintain sound systems in all the Damon's and BW3's and other bars and such. I know my s*$T about this stuff and do quality work. Give me a call 330-704-6334 or send me an email rwise@neo.rr.com.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 7:28am
sounds like randy'S the guy, you cant deny a man a weekend pa$$, you better have some cold old milwaukee's ready
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:46am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

you cant deny a man a weekend pa$$, you better have some cold old milwaukee's ready

come on Eric no sh*t beer when someone else is doing the work, they deserve a quality beer not piss water.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 5:26pm
randy-the job is yours..........this weekend is horrible as is the next............sothe weekend after that should be ok......i will let you know as that comes closer.............you can let me know a time, saturadays better imo just incase we need something extra..........what gauge feet etc for wiring should i use.....also have to buy a fuse block?......should i buy a perko swtich, since i have two batteries?.....any ideas would be appreciated........i dont drink cheap beer myself, so i wouldnt expect you too!.......later on in the week we can figure out some details.........thanks again everyone for the offers and help!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 7:50pm
Ryan,

We can put aside an upcoming Saturday. Give me a list of everything you have, with model numbers, so I can look at what we are dealing with. then we can figure what gauge wire you will need etc.. You may want to get a couple distribution blocks, but I doubt you will need a fuse block, most equipment today has fuses built in. You do want a main fuse at the battery. As far as the two batteries, I'm not sure that you will actually need two batteries if you only have one or two amps. Maybe someone else can chime in on this, since I am not too familiar with boat set ups. Probably not a bad idea if you run it for a long time with the engine off... Where will the other battery be located? (how close to the existing Battery?) If you do go with two batteries you could use a perko switch or just hook them in parallel. again maybe someone with experience in this situation will chime in with advice...

We will want to start early and have everything we need in advance... we can iron out the details later.

and no cheap beer...

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:21pm
Don't you guys know that Old Milwaukee was voted "America's Best Tasting Beer"? At least that is what they said on tv. That was my beer of choice until a buddy switched me to Mich Ultra.

Eric; Are you in Brunswick? I grew up in Strongsville.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:34pm
Randy its a very good idea to run two batt. set up with a Perko two batt switch.It is hard to get a jump start in the middle of the lake.By running 2 group 24 deep cycle batts ,you are only a little heavier than 1 group 27.
This isolates batt.#1 from batt.#2 ,and check the combined draw of all stereo equipment,under high volume it will suprise you how many amps it really draws.
this is a good excuse to have the two batt. setup.............. boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 7:28am
79 you aint lyin, aint nothing worse then giving a guy a days labor and he feeds ya cheap beer
John, my shops in Brunswick, I live in Aurora Shores

Boat doc, altenator?
Ryan, Randy let me know if you need a cozy place to work... I want to get in on some of that expensive beer action, seriously the offers open
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 9:43am
eric are you talking about shop in brunswick?....i take it its heated?........up to you guys, it would be warmer there then inside a garage im sure........again i can stick a heater in there to try and get it to warm up..... i could always compensate ya eric with some free beers and lunch also...........thanks for the offer!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 12:15pm
Saturdays are government days even though i poked at BFN's boat, today my uncles here putting a washer/dryer in his motor home and our tow truck drivers doing his brakes on the other side,
Id be more than happy to have you guys, i might even help, call me and let me know

eric

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 2:01pm
Jbear, That is a perfect example of why you shouldn't believe everything you hear on TV.
Hope you guys are alright after that storm. looked like it went through your area.

boat dr, Your right, probably a good idea to have the two battery set up with the switch. since we are going to be using the stereo a lot without the engine running. Makes sense. Now I am going to have get another battery and a switch. Where is a good location to install the second battery? I would guess as close to the existing battery as possible. Where do you recommend mounting the switch? if you mount it near the dash you would have to run a lot of 4 gauge wire... would a bigger alternator be in order?

Ryan, if it is going to be as cold as today we may want to take Eric up on his offer... if you have a little kerosene heater like mine, it will be damn near worthless in this cold and wire can be hard to work with when it's cold. This could be a NE Ohio mini-reunion, with a purpose! sounds like fun! let me know what exactly we are going to be using so I can get an idea of what we will need. I'll put together a list.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 4:08pm
guys.........i have ordered ..

blaupunkt tha275 amp- 4 ohms 75 watts x2
                      2 ohms 120wattsx2...this will be powering my polk audio 650'.

ma audio m1889i monoblock-rms 4 ohms400x2 channel
                          rms 2 ohms800x1 channel

1 12" audiobahn eternal subwoofer
1 sealed box.............i have two new marine batts sitting in my basement....one for the boat one as a backup that was never used last summer....my problem now is that the audiobahn subwoofer and blaupunkt amp are backordered!.......so thats what im dealing with
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 4:25pm
you may want to check your current amp rating on your altenator, if you draw to many amps you'll full field the altenator and burn it up
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 4:36pm
Ryan,

Why are you ordering a two channel amp when you have 4 speakers? are you concerned that these are not marine amps? I would definitely make sure that the subwoofer is intended for marine use.i just looked at it real quick and it doesn't look like it would be a good choice for around the water IMO (Cellulose Fiber Cone and foam surround. This stuff will end up getting wet.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 8:48pm
randy-i nkow sh*t about this stuff...my buddy says i need a two channel amp for my insides and hre tried to match it up!......marine amps, i hear that a marine amp is not even close to being as effiecent powerful etc as a 'regular" amp.....looking at other setups i see few marine amps!............subwwofer, yes it is a concern to me......buddy says its fine as long you dont expose it to actually water, and said cover ity everynight with a towel.........im basically trying to put together a good system for under 500............i know that audiobahn FUc^!^ pounds...........i orginally wanted the polk db 12" sub but he says it wont do sh*t to be honest............ideas?????????.randy-isnt the best way to get bang for your buck when it comes to wattage........2 on the left channel 2 on the right channel............load will be 2 ohms on each cannel instead of four........
ryansbuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryansbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 10:39pm
Hey this is ryan's buddy that's helping him pick out the equipment. I know car audio in and out, but have zero experience with marine applications so you understand where I'm coming from.

To explain the equip choices so far: (Skip if you don't care)
-----------------------------------------------
Ryan won't be doing any 5.1 or other setups that require the extra expense of a 4+ channel amp. (His audio is only 2 channels, left and right, so loading two on each channel @ 2 ohms total will give him the same wattage per speaker as a 4 channel amp costing twice as much or more)

The subwoofer has not and has yet to be picked out... that was a temporary sub I told ryan would be in the ballpark of wattage handling he would need if he wanted to go with a dual 4ohm voice coil, single sub. (Here's another one in the ballpark)

Personally I think he'd be better off going with two single voice coil subs (or two dual 2ohm voice coils in series then paralleled together etc) that are rated around 400w rms (Like Kappa Perfect 12s VQ's) to match the MA mono amp. (Which was an insane deal, why we're picking out the subs based on the amp instead of visa versa) He could run a dual 2ohm voice coil sub in series or a single voice coil speaker solo, but this would be using half of his system's potential :)

Anyways, he's not sure if he'll have the space for two 12's and I'm pretty sure isometric mounting of subs is a marine no-no since the basket and connectors of one of them would be exposed.

Oh and the buddy telling him using a regular sub is fine and such is another buddy, not me. What Ryan's said he's been told so far is the cone and surround just needs to be non porous like polypropylene.
-----------------------------------------------

Anyways these are my questions for selecting Ryan's equipment:

1.) Surely a plain plywood box isn't suitable for marine use, so what is the cheapest option that is still safe for an enclosure? (I'm not subscribing to Ryan's "it won't get wet" theory :P)

2.) Besides non-porous cone and surround, there are other major differences I see between the performance ratings of marine and auto speakers. Are the voice-coils water shielded/air enclosed thus why on average they can handle far less wattage? Are terminals waterproof? etc (what else besides cone and surround make a speaker "marine"?)

3.) With the answers for 1 and 2 in hand, can you use a regular sub if your marine enclosure is protective enough? And if Ryan's going with a cheap enclosure is he then limited only to marine subs?

I don't want to point Ryan towards something that will take a poop if it gets wet, why originally I was only looking at marine subs. But he's hearing from a lot of people that you can run regular subs fine, but I'm not hearing what the conditions of that are. (For instance "You can drill holes in your hull all day and you won't sink" isn't the same without the part about "as long as you don't drive it on water" hehe)

Anyways sorry for the long post, but trying to catch you guys up to speed since in the end you will be hearing about it more than I will ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah and forgot to ask if getting him a capacitor would be necessary, or just another battery instead, etc cause a boat doesn't exactly run/idle like a car... I'm pretty sure he'd have a few minutes tops with his system at full blast before he'd be paddling in a dead boat, so he'd have to idle if he wants to bump for the ladies, and without a capacitor, I'm thinking even on a boat at idle rpm would cause his alternator to give him the finger and shoot itself...
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 10:46pm
.........wow...........and all iwant is a good pounding system..............randy help!!!!!!!!
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 7:50am
In my 94 ski i had 4 alpine marine 6.5 speakers. 2 MBquart Subs and all MTX amps. The subs were shot after season one baskets were rusted. They still played but looked crappy. To awnser the question i woulds buy a 4ch amp for the highs beacuse 2ohm is really going to work that amp. On A nice hot day it will start going into thermal protection or blow a up.Where are you buying the stuff from. I still can buy at dealer cost from the shop that i used to run. They sell JL audio Kenwood Alpine MBQuart MTX Rockford Clarion . So if their is some thing that u need i can get it and send it to you . I would ad a dual battery to the system. No Cap your Alt will work double time try to charge that cap . And the battery will go dead when the boat is turned off. If i can help in any way let me know. Like said before i am an hour and 45 from you . we have huge warehouses with heated floors so working in the winter is not to bad.   
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 7:58am
You cna use 3/4 MDF and coat it in Fibergla$$ resin. Just brush it on the box inside and out . As for the space issue i put 2 12 in woffers under the pa$$ seat useing the seat as part of the box it was really cool and sounded great we had to put a spacer munder the seat to keep it up about 1.5 in off the gound. The only thing in my boat marine was the apline speakers. I hid the amps up high infront of the driver. I have seen a few other post on installs on planetnautique that were really nice i will try to find the pics
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 8:29am
here is a pic of a sub install
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 9:30am
i think i only want to go with one 12" sub due to lack of space.........i need to be able to store lifevest anchors towels tools etc up in the nose of the boat........i think 2 12" would close that off unless someone was able to make a custom box like the one in the pic, but now your talking more money........my limit is 500.....yes i understand thats not much but i know it can be done....already have 2 batts. just need to buy a perko.........
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 9:37am
you could build that box ur self . Roughly about 45 dollars in wood and 1hr of time all u need is one sheet of 3/4 mdf and carpet. Do you have a table saw ? Then when you get your sub fig out the air space and build the box. You limit is 500 for the install or for the entire job ??
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 10:19am
speakers amps etc..............not including labor.............no time to make a box...rather just buy one 12' box........
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 8:05pm
I built my box out of 3/4 inch plywood. Not marine grade, just good void free wood. I didn't coat it with resin, but I did coat it with black bedliner spray. Trust me, that stuff is tough. The sub I'm using is made by Elemental designs 13OV2 with 2 - 4 ohm voice coils. I can't remember the actual volume, but it's pretty close to what ED recommends. I tune the box to 28 hz with 2 - 3" ports. With less than 400 watts, the thing sounds insane. I believe it's because of the box design and where it's installed. I have it all the way up in front of my 89 Ski Nautique. The sub fires up while the ports fire towards the back of the boat. It's very sheltered and never got wet at all.   The only hard part was building such an odd shape box and then measuring it's volume. I'll take pictures and post them later. If I did it again, the only thing that I would do different would be to go with a quad 1 ohm voice coil sub.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 10:57am
Ryan,

Lots of good information coming in here. Let me add my .02...

IMHO, I would keep it simple for now. especially If you only have a $500 dollar budget. keep in mind that good wire and connectors will cost you too. You can always add on upgrades later. Take your time choosing your equipment, listen to what others have tried. If I were you, I would skip the amp for the 6.5 polks for now, this is something that can be added later easily. Put your $$ into your subs, wiring, and head unit. I agree with SkiPA on the 4channel amp, running those at 2ohms is really going to be pushing that amp to it's limits... Do it right the first time... keep in mind that you will be running this stuff a lot with the engine off, if you get too many big amps you will need two or more batteries on each side of that perko switch. how much space do you want to commit to your stereo equipment? take your time and look at what others have done and what worked or didn't work for them. I would get a marine sub. marine speakers are made with poly or carbon cones and usually rubber surrounds they have plated connectors and the baskets are non-corrosive and will not rust. Keep in mind that not only will this stuff be splashed with water occasionally, it will be in a very hot, moist environment, We have a few months before it gets warm enough to hit the water... take your time and research this stuff. The polk 6.5 are marine grade, so you are good there. why not get the Polk sub to match the speakers? Don't get too caught up in the numbers (watts). Go with quality stuff that will last.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic