Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor replace doesn't work

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dougs_boat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougs_boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor replace doesn't work
    Posted: June-25-2018 at 4:12pm
Hi Everyone
I have a 1999 air tique 5.8 351W engine. After a long time trouble shooting an intermittent idle problem I think I found the problem, A bad bearing in the distributor shaft, it has a fair bit of play. I ordered and installed a new one from SKIDIM and I cant get the engine to fire at all. Anyone have any luck with these replacement distributors(sierra 18-5489-2)? I removed the distributor from the block and left all connections intact then I connected a spark plug to the output of the coil and it was sparking as I spun the distributor manually(I could hear them snapping and kind of see it on a sunny day). Spark plugs don't seem to be getting any spark.
I put my old distributor back in to verify I am doing it correctly and after about 10 min it fired up no problem.

Any advice is really welcome.
Doug at the cottage

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 11:15pm
Give Vince at Skidim a call. He is very knowledgeable and can help you troubleshoot your distributor issue.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
dougs_boat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougs_boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 10:51am
Vince is a great guy. I had everything connected and configured correctly. I removed/bypassed the ballast resistor and the boat fired up no problem. Coil runs a bit hot, but should be fine.

Problem solved
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 10:53am
Glad you got it figured out.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by dougs_boat dougs_boat wrote:

I had everything connected and configured correctly.

Well, not quite otherwise you would have had a running engine after the install

Did you get instructions with the distributor?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic