NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Barefoot Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Barefoot Nautique
    Posted: March-02-2007 at 8:17am
I've always loved BFN's. The question I have is, how much different is the wake versus the SN? I always wondered what the lines underneath the hull are for. They start at the keel and go underneath. Also, how do they form a flat wake with such a deep V in the rear?

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 8:53am
Never footed, skied or been in/on a BFN, I had heard the TWC hull that came out in 99' was somewhat based on the BFN hull, in this case to create a bigger wake.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 9:02am
I don't know Ken But I do Know I would love to have the Blue 80 model you posted.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Also, how do they form a flat wake with such a deep V in the rear?

I havent been in or behind one either, but a guy on our lake had an '89. It threw a pretty big wake, but supposedly the table is nice and flat.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 9:12am
I'm sure there are guys here (GottaSki?) who've skied/footed both the 2001 and BFN hull. I've only been behind Feelgood's BFN one time. Lifting strakes get the hull up out of the water pretty good. Wake is flat, hard, and tall.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 9:15am
Those lines along the bottom are called lifting strakes. They help the boat get more hull out of the water thus creating a smaller wake. That's the principal anyway, I too have never been behind one but it's doesn't matter, I want one.

The words barefoot and big block just do something for me, I will own one somewhere down the line. Hasbeenskiers 81 above is gonna look awesome when he's done with it.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 9:21am
So that's a picture of what the BFN's wake looks like? Looks nice and flat...pretty wide too. I'd love to see a post with pictures of the differences between boat wakes. The BFN must have a monster wakeboarding wake. The extra weight of the 454 engine must help too.

Tim, that red '90 posted on the bottom has your name written all over it. $18.5K. It must have been around $23-24K new, right?

Ken
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 9:23am
Probably a lot better than a SN on a big lake. I wonder if they turn like a SN, or roll over and make a wide arc?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 9:47am
Riley, I think youre right. Our dealer on Lake George says there are a fair number of Barefoots on that lake because they handle the rough water pretty well. They do roll in the turns because of the deep-V.

Ken, those colors are nice but I think Id prefer either a '80-81 or a '87-88. Im not sure his asking price is that far from the original purchase amount.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 9:59am
Sorry, most all the barefoot boats I footed behind were 2001's factory 'barefooted' with the 425 and tall pylon. The only CC barefoot boat I tried was and barefoot Excel, and the wake was mountainous.

Now, if you like low wakes and high speed, the Sanger DXII barefoot is superior and is the preferred boat of the barefoot gurus I used to foot with. The boat is brilliant, and well made, stable at speed and fast. There is not much better for an inboard, the Sanger outboard and Flightcraft are just a touch better.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 10:12am
I imagine they handle really well in rough water. The hull looks pretty deep, and less flat. Probably better than the SN for cruising around with friends and family. Originally, in '04 when I was looking to upgrade, I drove up to Milton, NH to look at/buy a 1988 Dominique. It had sold two days prior. What a great boat(except, I prefer the observer seat over the single seat).

Ken
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 10:47am
Being in and behind just about every barefoot boat at one time or another, the Barefoot Nautique has the nicest table of any barefoot boat ever made. Flat, smooth and little tubulence. The wake curl is friggin' huge and harder than hell but once you get used to them, they really aren't bad for doing wake crosses front, back, one or two feet as long as you have good technique. They are extremely intimidating though. The Sanger Barefooter inboard is the epitome of barefoot boats right now like GottaSki said and have been since the early 90's. They will turn 50+ MPH easily with a 330HP Black Scorpion SB motor and they have a 8.1L option that damn near runs 60MPH. The wakes are small, smooth, non-turbulent and medium hard. The Sanger and Malibu Flightcraft outboards are even better but they are outboards after all and neither one is manufactured any longer. They also loose a lot of speed as you get more people/weight in the boat. Malibu has a barefoot option in their Response that has a 383 Hammerhead in it. The wake is OK but not nearly as good as the Sanger. Definitely better than a Barefoot Nautique though. That Hammerhead motor is friggin' awesome. We've run 47MPH with 4 footers in tow in a 2900# boat and still had throttle left.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 4:40pm
footed behind one in Sept, bought an 85 in Dec. No turbulance behind the boat and great for rough water racing.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 6:01pm
the bfn's handle great in rough water, they are awsome at wakeboarding speed, take a few mphs and slalom wake is wonderfull, then hit her full up and you have your footin wake. I know my dad used to foot with three other guys, all of them averaged 220 or better and the could all foot behind an 89 bfn with not probelm 45mph and still some hammer left. I know they used to let me drive sometimes. Just never got to learn how to foot. Mom said was to little and wouldn't let dad teach us kids. Dad argued he can drive he can foot, but guess mom won on that one.

Growing up I never knew there was another inboard other then a master crap.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 8:08pm
I have owned a couple of Barefoots and They are sweet. They will not turn in there own tracks like a Ski Nautique but that is what a Ski Nautique is for. They handle chop much better so Barefoots are designated cocktail cruisers. One certainly does not want to spill ones livation.
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 8:41pm
very true hasbeen, that would be alcohol abuse and we can't ahve that.

Hasebeen, did you ever close the deal on that 79 BFN with the 460? Tried asking on the other thread but no response guess you missed it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 7:42am
Hey 87BFN. I'm new to the site so I don't know much of all the history of you guys. But don't tell me you own a Barefoot Nautique and don't know how to foot? Your boat looks great but I'll bet it looks better from the business end of a barefoot rope at 45mph.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 8:16am
haha yes tullfooter, sadly enough, it is true.... but it's alright we tolerate him anyhow...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 7:10pm
Here's some wake shots from our trip down to Feelgood M.D.'s place last fall. Boat load = 5/6 gas??

Feelgood M.D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 7:33pm
yeah, we were probably 3/4 tank with 4 passengers and 1 40 oz Mickeys to distribute the weight more evenly... if my memory serves correctly.
Hunting for a Early 2000s Super Air or Super Sport w/ a Python
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 8:35pm
Alan that is the Ford Powered one pictured above.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 5:54pm
ultrahots what was ford powered?

Tullfooter, missed your post when you posted I guess. No at the presant time I can not say I know how to foot. Tried numerous times with no luck. Going to hit it heavy this spring. I don't think I will be allowed to bring the BFN to GL not knowing how to foot. I plan on giving it hell in april with out the bar. If no luck may we put the cheater bar on and learn that way.

Face plants don't hurt that bad besides, my wife says it's pay back for dragging her out on the lake so early.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 10:11pm
87BFN, if you want any help in your quest to foot, give me a shout or email and you can come out to the White Lake area or we'll head out your way and get you on your feet. This weekend I plan on getting my 85BFN to my house and do some learning on what I will need to do to make this thing ready for the late April. This site is a huge help in my struggle to learn the ways of the inboard and even better, the joy of CC ownership. Gotta go, shootout in the Wings game.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 10:22pm
Damn Federov!!
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 8:04am
Originally posted by ultrahots ultrahots wrote:

Yeah, I'm still second guessing letting that one go by but BJ will do a nice job with it.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 8:14am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by ultrahots ultrahots wrote:

Yeah, I'm still second guessing letting that one go by but BJ will do a nice job with it.

Youre talking about this boat, right?

Its Ford powered, but its not a big block.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 8:22am
Correct.That boat is very nice but has a few issues like no original trailer and a bad motor to deal with.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 4:21pm
The boarding wake behind these boats is incredible for the era they were made in. Steep curl and it sends you to the moon. I had a 92 V drive. It had the identical wake to a friends 86 BFN direct drive. The slalom wake was decent and the footing wake was great. I learned my first backflips and undertakers on my kneeboard on a BFN. The one issue with my 92 was it only had a single skeg and handled like crap on turns. Short of that it was the second best boat I ever owned.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 11:02pm
Had to chime in here...mine is the third picture at the top of the thread. I'm one of those guys who owns a barefoot but doesn't know how. I've footed before, off a boom, but that's it. I bought the boat as a cheap wakeboard boat. We've had it for almost two years (starting our third summer) and haven't regretted it for a minute. The wake has a great shape for boarding...a little narrow, but we run 750# in the back and 450# up front and it widens it out and pumps it up a bit. I love the 454 and you learn to pull people up slowwwwly :) I have friends with newer "nicer" boats. They have all the creature comforts, but they are like Hondas, and mine is a muscle car...totally different feel.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 5:44pm
Dank as I said, I plan to cure the no footing this spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic