NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pertronix Ignitor/Coil Setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 7:49am
Thanks, I'll check the air bleeds and make sure they are clear. Never heard of the whole ethanol/zinc thing before, that's interesting. The boat has only seen rec 90 since I've had it, but I imagine the previous owners probably used e10
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 7:37am
For your idle issues, you might want to click on the link below and read the whole thing, but make sure you look at the 11th post down which has a link to a Cobra website with good pictures of the air bleeds that are often overlooked along with an easy cleaning method if the carburetor is assembled
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 7:14am
I put the rebuild kit in my 4160 last night, don't think it was needed though. Carb was clean and the gaskets were still pretty pliable. However, I did find that the transfer slots on the primaries were almost fully exposed, which is probably why my idle mixture screws didn't do anything. The idle speed screw had to be opened that far to get the motor to idle at 700-800 rpm in neutral, so I'm not sure what's causing that yet. I adjusted the secondaries to the bottom of the transfer slots while I had it off as well.

After that, I attempted to reset the timing to around 10deg, but the motor isn't running at this point so it was a little tricky. It will occasionally hit while it cranks, but it's inconsistent and won't idle. Giving it a shot of fuel from the accelerator pump seems to help, but choking it doesn't. Won't start with the throttle fully closed or cracked open either.

If I can get it running, I'll check the timing advance. Last time it was running it had a random hard miss at idle when set to 10deg that would smooth out when I advanced to to that 30deg range. I'll also try to do a better job verifying that the timing marks on the pulley correspond to the true TDC soon. Thanks for all the input guys
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 6:37am
Late to the party on this one guys. FWIW I dropped a Pertronix module in the 88' about 12+ years ago and it's run flawlessly since. I did go with a flamethrower epoxy filled coil as the oil filled coils gave me fits as they didn't like the horizontal install. Paddling the boat with an oar and a slalom ski ain't fun. Have the 1.5 resistor installed along with iridium plugs. Plugs have been in about 10 years. Pulled them last fall and still looked fantastic. No mention yet of how the plugs look or condition of the wires. 
 I do recall a couple threads here about guys having problems with the pertronix module but most I personally know have not had any problems. Interesting that you were still having issues after swapping back to points. Sounds like you may have to bite the bullet and get a Holley 4160. Be thankful you don't need a 450 cfm carb as they are $200 more than a 650cfm and prices have gone up $200 from a couple years ago. Geez!!!Ouch
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 6:20pm
I did that test this morning before I took the boat out and ran into the issues that ken described. It seemed right, but I wouldn't trust myself to feel a few degrees of difference so I was hoping to come up with a different way of doing it. I know the mech advance works, but I wasn't paying attention to what rpm it was advancing at so I can check that again when I get it running. The boat ended up dying today and wouldn't even idle. We got nice and wet getting it off the lake, so I need to get this fixed before the wife puts in a sell order.

Also found a rebuild kit for the carb locally after we got back so I'm going to freshen that up as well
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Geez KENO, my backyard hackery pencil-in-the-plug-hole works great!  Last time I used that method was on my 1994…and there was enough space even with the manifold.  This is a good test to confirm harmonic balancer timing marks and timing indicator / pointer.  

Whatever, Wink
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 5:59pm
Geez KENO, my backyard hackery pencil-in-the-plug-hole works great!  Last time I used that method was on my 1994…and there was enough space even with the manifold.  This is a good test to confirm harmonic balancer timing marks and timing indicator / pointer.  
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 5:52pm
You can skip the straw and come up with the same results.

Since the plug hole is pretty close to horizontal and there's a big hunk of exhaust manifold above it, the straw really just flops around sideways and doesn't tell you that you're at TDC any better than just using your thumb  and watching the pointer and timing marks like JQ mentioned Wink

There's also an explanation for initial timing of 30 degrees BTDC that passes the "smell test"

If that little spring I asked about earlier is too stretched out or broken (you say it's not broken earlier in the thread), then the control of the timing by the weights is pretty much gone.

As soon as the engine is started and idling at 700 or so RPM, your timing jumps right up to about 30 degrees BTDC due to no limiting effect from the little spring and with the big spring coming into play at about 3500 or so RPM, you'll end up with about 6 more degrees of timing giving around 36 total. It sounds like somebody may have set the total timing at 36 degrees or so and let idle fall wherever it landed.

It can idle great and run  good that way. Even starts good because while it's cranking over the flyweights haven't moved too much at all yet. (been there and had run an engine like that for years, now it has a pair of springs that function the way they're supposed to)

Easy enough to verify, just check your timing at your idle speed and then rev it up in neutral to 3500 to 4000 rpm and see what the timing reads to see if the little spring is doing what it should be doing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 4:42pm
Try this:  Remove plugs (it makes it easier).  Using a large socket and ratchet or breaker-bar, rotate the engine by turning the large nut on the harmonic balancer.  Assuming your engine is RR, you will turn counter-clockwise when doing this from the front of the engine.  While slowly rotating the engine, place your thumb over the #1 cylinder spark plug hole.  On a small-block Ford, that would be the cylinder closest to the driver's seat.  While rotating then engine, you will eventually feel air pressure building under your thumb as the piston moves upward on the compression stroke.  Once you are sure that you are on the compression stroke (not exhaust stroke), take a long stiff soda straw or new pencil (eraser side down) and slide it into the spark plug hole until it rests on top of the piston.  Then, slowly rotate the engine while keeping you soda straw / pencil against the head of the piston.  As you rotate the engine, the piston will push the straw / pencil upwards out of the spark plug hole.  When the straw / pencil stops moving upwards, you should be at top dead center (TDC).  Then you can check your timing marks and indicator on the harmonic balancer and see if everything looks kosher.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 4:27pm
I agree, seems impossible. I'm going to try to figure out a way to set it at tdc with some accuracy then see if the harmonic damper is lying to me
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 4:10pm
If everything is set up properly and you are really at 30 degrees BTDC on the ignition timing as "base" then your engine would have serious detonation issues under load.  Add 24 degrees of distributor advance at 3,000 RPM and you are looking at 54 degrees total advance.  Doesn't pass the smell test...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 12:01pm
I guess my boat just doesn't love me. Out on the lake now and it still runs like garbage with a load on it. Runs a little better when I return it to 30deg advance base timing, which I don't fully understand, but still won't rev out. So, I limped it over to a quiet part of the lake to let the kiddo swim and make the best of it
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Hysteria Hysteria wrote:

Not sure what I'll end up doing with the ignition system now, I was planning on keeping the pertronix until all this happened.

I'd keep the point set in it, do the EFI and then see how it runs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 8:34am
Part of me wants to get another Pertronix ignitor since this one wasn't installed correctly, but I also have reliability concerns for the obvious reasons
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 8:23am
Options are to get another and carefully match the recommended coil resistance, and cross fingers.
Alternatively, buy another pertronix, and use it to trigger an msd box, or another spark system or maybe a junkyard Duraspark. The high input impedance of the spark amp limits current through the pertronix to a fraction of it's design.

My one data point has lasted 21 years as a trigger after 4 seasons working solo
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 8:06am
Anything in particular you want to see on it? I'm planning on using the Holley Sniper kit which seems like a pretty straightforward system. Not sure what I'll end up doing with the ignition system now, I was planning on keeping the pertronix until all this happened.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Hysteria Hysteria wrote:

I'm planning on converting it to EFI this winter.

Isaac,
Make sure you keep us imformed on the EFI project. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 7:16am
I'm planning on converting it to EFI this winter. My main goal right now is getting the boat to be reliable enough to haul it down to Dale hollow for a family trip in August
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 7:04am
Let's just say that you assumed right, that's not a marine carburetor Wink

The port for the vent line is only on some marine Holleys, others have no port and use a fitting on the flame arrestor

Your eventual solution should be a marine carburetor for safety reasons.
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 6:48am
The list number on the carb is 1850-4. I assumed it was an automotive carb because of the lack of j tubes, no port for the vent line on the fuel pump, and it's set up for a cable choke. When I reinstalled the points I did check the weights, which moved freely. The springs are still in place, and hopefully still in working order. If I can convince my wife it's not going to break down I might take it to the lake today and give it another test run.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 6:26am

When you put the points in, did you check that the distributor weights had springs that weren't broken and the weights move freely.

They should resemble the ones in this picture of a clip down cap distributor like a 76 had.

One light spring that's always under tension and one heftier one that has an oval end and is only under tension at higher speeds like around 3500 rpm or higher

The slots in the advance limiter plate in this picture are worn which makes getting steady advance and then return back to base timing at idle kinda erratic.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 5:59am
Sounds like the carburetor could use a good cleaning so that all the idle passages will do what they're supposed to.

Then again, if it's not a marine carburetor there are other solutions Wink

What makes you say it's not marine, only reason I ask is that an original 76 marine Holley didn't have j tubes on the vents and tends to fool people these days. It also had externally adjustable floats which also make people think it's not marine.

What's the list number on the carburetor? Here's a picture for reference. 

This one in the picture is 50419-1

Yours might be 6576 for example

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 5:50am
Isaac,
Great you got it going by using the point set and finding out the EI was the issue. Go and enjoy the water. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 9:54pm
Name a hobby that isn't LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 7:29pm
Wanted to go to the lake today so I hooked the boat up to the hose first, since I don't have much confidence in it at this point. Couldn't even get it started. Took out the pertronix and reinstalled the points with the gap set at .017 and it fired right up. The neighbor let me borrow his timing light after that and I found the base timing set around 30 degrees at idle. Reset it at 10deg. It's got a bit of a rough idle so I thought I would adjust the idle mixture next, but it's only got about 10in of vacuum at 800rpm and the idle screws don't seem to have any effect. Also worth mentioning that the previous owner put an automotive 4160 on this thing. 

Turns out boats are expensive I guess.
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2021 at 2:09pm
I'll also add that I metered the Ignitor mounting plate and had 0 ohms resistance to the battery ground on the motor. I also relocated the coil off the intake last night and reoriented it vertically to see if that might help. Not expecting much out of that though.
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2021 at 2:06pm
Believe it or not, I may have the original points in a box of extras that the previous owner gave me. If I do, I may try reinstalling them to troubleshoot this.

I haven't metered at the Ignitor yet, but my new alternator puts out a pretty consistent 14.7v and the whole boat is rewired with 10ga copper so I don't think it's suffering from low voltage. However, the previous owner ran it off 6v for who knows how long so I'm wondering if it's damaged from that.

The boat runs pretty well when it's cool, but still feels like it's running out of steam and only hits 4100rpm flat out (around 37-38mph). I have a DIY fresh air exhaust so I don't know if that is a contributing factor.

The secondaries seem to be working now, but I didn't run it with the cover open until it was hot and at that point I couldn't get enough rpm to do much with them. I could see the linkage starting to move, but too much throttle and it just falls on it's face after it's been heat soaked
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2021 at 1:33pm
Probably the only way you'll figure out if the Ignitor is causing your problem is by replacing it with another one or with something else.

How many volts are you getting to the Ignitor when the engine is running? They tend to be more finicky when you have low voltage going to them.

You'll probably get suggestions ranging from replacing the whole distributor with something like a DUI to going late stone age and putting points back in it.

You probably don't have the original points plate that people tend to throw out when they put in an electronic conversion though, since you bought the boat with the Pertronix already installed.

With the Ignitor 1, you can damage the internals by leaving the key in Run with the engine off.

Silly question time......you thought it was straightened out, then you messed with the secondaries on the carburetor. Are you sure it's not carburetor related since it's the last thing you touched?

Otherwise how's it run with secondaries that work?  Wink
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2021 at 8:32am
Anyone had an issue with these pertronix ignitors failing when they get hot? My heat soak issue has now returned and the boat was missing hard and wouldn't rev past 2k after a few WOT runs followed by about 20min of sitting. The coil was pretty hot when I checked it, but I replaced the coil after having this issue at the beginning of last year and it's behaving the exact same as when it happened with the old coil. It only wanted to limp along with a ight throttle and would pop and fall on it's face over 1/4 throttle or so.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2021 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Lemme see...
...PerTronics
...PerTronicks
...PeTronix
...um
...D.U.I.

That's it.

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Um.............you forgot Pete tronics

DUI, that's hi tech from the mid 70's or something isn't it? Wink

A DUI is something you get from the PO-PO on the way home from the lake after having to many Tronics, Tronix, um... Tonics that's it.  Beer Beer Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic