NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

100 Amp alternator upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by MurphyCO MurphyCO wrote:

Keno, thanks, I intend to do surgery on a new bracket soon as it comes in.

And yes, the new alternator has internal cooling fan blades. 

In the two pictures above you can see that even some thinner bushings might solve the issue - the large one came with the alternator, but using it plus any of the 3 different sizes I have is still too thick, and leaving the large one out and replacing with two smaller ones almost....just almost works but the pulley scrubs on the alternator housing. 

Frustrating. 

I did buy a couple of replacement belts today for insurance and the kid ( they all look like they're 12 to me) at the auto parts store said I could get bushings from Fastenal. Might check that out. 

Thanks for all the help. 

Gary

Add between the 2 thinner bushings a flat washer or fender washer, might just shim it out enough to not rub. Just guessing, altering the bracket is likely the better solution, but this would be easy to try.

i always have spare belts with me. And though others here may cringe, a slight misalignment on an alternator belt is unlikely to snap the belt.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 10:07pm
Well we have to learn something every day!  Now if I can remember the lesson.🥸
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 10:51pm
I just had my "finals".  I'm done learning- I'm taking the rest of the summer off. But for extra credit could you use the large diameter spacer and trim down one of the smaller diameter ones by 3/16" ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2024 at 12:42pm
Since you're still looking for a bracket  and I don't know if you got one from TRBenj in his parts thread, I thought I'd post an alternate way to line things up.

The quote below is from the parts thread, updating the situation.

Originally posted by MurphyCO MurphyCO wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Is this the same  continuing battle with belt alignment from 3 years ago? 

I thought you found/ordered a bracket back then.

Then again, I also see in a later thread that it was unavailable.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find the bracket, and don't really want to attempt surgery without a backup. The engine squeals pretty noticeably on start up, so I know I need to fix it. 

Nautique parts said they would help solve it, but after a few emails they quit writing as well. 

I keep spare belts in the boat along with tools to change and hope for the best. 
Annoying. 

You may think "is this guy off his rocker or something" , he wants me to hack up my alternator, but here goes..........

Instead of performing surgery on the bracket, do the surgery on the lower mounting ear, boss or whatever you want to call it on the alternator.

For example, say you cut off 1/4 inch from the back of the boss, you'll be able to slide the alternator back 1/4 inch and use washers, to take up the gap in the front or use washers front and rear as necessary to get the alternator right where you want it.

I did this fairly recently with a different brand alternator from a different outfit to get it lined up right.

You'd have a choice of tools to shorten the alternator boss, like a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder, a hacksaw, a belt sander etc. 

All things that a typical backyard hack might have hanging around

Me, I like my angle grinder for "precision machining" like this Wink

It's easier than modifying the bracket and if you take extra off, you use washers front and rear to get it just right as mentioned above.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2024 at 1:06pm
Your alternator before the pulley swap in the picture

Shorten the ear where the blue arrow is pointing

MurphyCO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MurphyCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2024 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Your alternator before the pulley swap in the picture

Shorten the ear where the blue arrow is pointing

That might work! Since the boat is at the lake and I am not, I wondered how much "meat" there was available to grind away - looks like plenty. So, Grinders R Us this weekend and I'll report back. (Just after I hopefully can repair the damage the lightning strike did to my Starlink system last Sunday)  Thanks Keno. 
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2024 at 9:05pm
My pulley is crooked too. Angle grinder is one of my favorite tools. Thanks for the suggestion.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic