Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Never again, Again !

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Never again, Again !
    Posted: September-03-2024 at 3:22pm
I bought the 96 nautique open bow from Nautique Jeff that he has listed for sale.
The sale included everything minus the engine and transmission.
I spoke with Sandra the owner of CS Marine in New Jersey and the remaining interior items are getting shipped to me.

First off, Jeff. Solid guy who stepped up and made a good deal a better deal by trailering the boat from North Carolina to Orlando. Obviously Jeffs a busy guy and had a reason to travel to Orlando but trailering the boat down as something he didn't need to do.

It gets better, 0400 the 21st en route to the er i call Jeff and leave a message, on the way to the hospital, hold off. Later that day from the hospital we text back and forth. Released on the next day and back home by 2030 hrs and Jeff says he'll come down monday with the boat.

So he put his business on hold over the weekend and delivered the boat in Orlando that monday.
Honest, straight to the point, clearly attached to these boats and his work, Jeff (Nautique Jeff) is a solid stand up guy that i wouldn't hesitate to do business with or reccomend him to my family, friends, and the members across 3 boating sites I belong to.

Next, Sandra at CS Marine in Jersey.
https://www.candsmarine.com/

Sandras shop is the only uholstery business licsened by correctcraft to reproduce factory vynil, color, patterns and embroidery and in business for 40 years. Please visit the link and read up about her shop and the work they do.

More to the point, I spoke with Sandra over the phone and upon hearing I was taking on the 96 nautique project from Jeff she offered to crate up and ship the remaining interior parts to me.
The combing pads are long and in order to help save on shipping she offered to make paper templates of them. Sandra has gone over and above helping me with this project and the rest of this story will have to wait until i speak with her again to forward the shipping costs.
Suffice to say Sandra turned the great deal that Jeff made me into an incredible deal.

Again, across 3 boating websites I will reccomend to all members that i wouldn't hesitate to do business with Sandra (C S Marine in New Jersey) as well as reccomend her to my family and friends.

I could go on about Jeff and Sandra both as to how they act professionaly as well as to the personality traits i observed while meeting and talking with them.
I can't thank enough for their time and help afforded to me connection with this project by both Jeff and Sandra.

We all know who Jeff is and the great work he does restoring these ski boats.Please consider calling Sandra at C S Marine for licsensed nautique upholstery as well as any upholstery needs you may have in any boat.

Pics in a couple days, parts cleaned, carpet pulled off and out to the bow eye (saving for patterns) including the carpet on the underneath of the bow rider. Who puts carpet there?

Thank you again,
Dan
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2024 at 7:00pm
Very few things in life are better than dealing with great people.  Kudos to Jeff and Sandra.  Well done.  

W-O-T do you need an intervention?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2024 at 8:27pm
One thing you should never do again is ship your old perfectly good carburetor to a guy in New Hampshire, saying you'll never need it again.

I kinda figure that guy would send it back to you if you want/need it Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2024 at 10:16pm
Yes johnny, clearly there is a problem.
Keno, nope that carb is for whatever that guy wants to do with it. Anything else would be like an indian giver.
Quick fuel keeps coming up, i don't know what causes the issues but i really want to install a squeeze pump like on an outboard.

The 84 donor engine transmission with 770 hours was converted to electric ignition.

my guess it's strong, but with how old gas ? How out of adjustment/clogged carb, how out of timing and in need of plugs wires cap and rotor, not charging and with an old battery on a charger hell, maybe a new conversion kit.

It sounded good and revved up very fast, smooth, like a healthy engine, hopefully a freshen up, flex plate coat of corporate blue and there will be the happy.

Only thing that looks cut is the wire on the ballast when it was converted.

Firsr keno question is; are the front mounts or front pedestals different from 84 to 96 ?

I measured, it looks good except - the stringers are farther apart on the 96 than the 84 BUT ;
The engine mounts IN the cradle on the 96 and the engine mounts ON the cradle on the 84.

Even tho the bolt holes line up on both cradles, the front mounts on the donor would have to slide in to fit leaving less side to side for alignment up front.

I'll post a few pics of that tomorrow.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2024 at 7:41am
Your question on the front mounts......the brackets that bolt to the engine are different heights because of the change in mounting angle.

Some people not named me have said they thought there was enough adjustment to make up for the height difference. One of them would have to tell you if  they did it and it worked.  Wink

PCM probably wanted the adjustment in about the mid range to leave plenty of room to go up or down

PCM part numbers for the engine mounting bracket 
R090001 for the 1 to 1 transmission applications, R090144 for 1.23 applications

Were you planning on the 84 engine and transmission going in the 96 or just the engine and finding a 1.23 transmission? Or maybe no real plan yet from the sounds of  your other thread where you're selling stuff?

Remember that the 96 engine is normal rotation and the 84 is  reverse rotation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2024 at 8:29am
Yes, plan is 1984 pcm and borg warner.
Build another gantry pull engine trans
hook up to 96 and lower engine trans into place to see whats what.

Brackets ? Are you talking the cast part with trunion or the pedestal.

Maybe i should go outside and take some pics so you can set me straight.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2024 at 8:56am

Green arrow pointing at bracket for the 1.23 applications, Red arrow for the 1 to 1 transmissions ( Borg Warner and PCM 40I)

You can see the height difference

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2024 at 9:45am
Edit in ; yes i see the height difference on the mounts thank you. Pedestal looks the same, problem is pedestal overhang/ overall width. Unless i glossed over and missed 2 different pedestals, nothing that cant be remedied. Unless cost for new is way over the rainbow.
Thanks keno

Width bolt holes pedestal into cradle on 84 and 96; 21 1/2 inches
Elevation bottom to pedestal mount surface (cradle); 84, 6 front, 5 1/2 rear
                                                                                               96, 5 front, 4 1/2 rear.
Width of cradle; 84, 24 inches but engine is on top of cradle and pedestals hang over 5/8 each side.
Width of cradle; 96, 30 inches but engine is inside cradle on angle who's width is 24 1/2 at best.
Stringer width on 84 is 21 1/2 which is centerline the vertical mounting bolts (lags on the 84 into the stringers.
It's close and most likely being overthought again again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2024 at 9:58am

Alternator says motorola on plastic back cap.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2024 at 10:33am
The engine mount width is essentially the same between the 2 stringer/cradle configurations, which was on purpose. (Ford) powertrains interchange without a problem. Rear mount height should be matched to the transmission being used but cradle will accomodate either set up.
NautiqueJeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2024 at 7:24pm
Thanks for the kind words, wayoutthere!  I am really glad that boat is going to get another life.  I had to go to Orlando anyway to pick up a trailer that Ram-Lin refurbished for me, so pulling it down with me was no trouble.  Keep us posted on the progress!!
Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2024 at 2:35pm
Out there drippin, 3 days now. I like this hull so i'm moving forward and starting to work up a plan.

start by cleanly cutting out the battery box / cooler assembly so it can be reused.
probobly have to cut a rectangle hatch out of the floor under the observer seat and forward a bit, if needed for foam removal.
(it's some kind of cored panel but i don't know how far forward it goes) and re use it.

i layed out the floor under the gas tank and rear seat, those areas plus a few inches either side will stay intact. Everywhere else between the back seat and tank
and from the tank to transom will come out for foam removal and access to the thru hull nut and bolts that always leak.
those removed sections will not go back in.

the floor from the back seat to the front floor cored/panel will come out for foam removal, i'm hoping it will give me enough room to de foam.
this area is approx 22 inches by 58 inches so 1 sheet of airex core cell 3/4 will cover the rebuild.

I would prefer to not cut it open but the boat is disassembled now.
If anybody has been inside of a 96 nautique and can shed some light on an approach to cutting i'd appreciate the info.
I can see the outboard stringer by looking down into the air box hopefully that will help with layout and cutting which will go slow so the
composite stringers don't get wacked

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2024 at 4:16pm
Click on the link, page 4 shows a cutaway view and some description of the stringers and floor.

It's from 93 but applies to 95 too Wink

It may or may not be any help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2024 at 4:35pm
Thanks keno,
No doubt someone has been inside of these things.
Links not working
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2024 at 4:43pm
It works for me, but here it is again.

link

If that doesn't work, look for the 1993 brochure on PN or here on CCF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:09pm

Plans are evolving right now and theres not much of a rush. For example the 1984 nautique is staying put and the 96 is getting de-foamed. Yep 2 ski boats 2 rebuilds. Keep an out for a donor engine and trans boat.

Today the 84 got powerwashed in the bilge and the cushions have been disassembled and inside the house all week, they are for sure dry and ready to get bagged up and stored in the boat with the boat covered.

my powerwasher died and i picked up the tiny one from lowes, it's compact light and it made fast work de greasing the bilge. For 89 bucks and a 30 day return it's worth a try if you need one and don't have the room for or want to spend big bucks. Hope it lasts 8 years like the sunjo did

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic