Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1966 mustang/new owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
oneilthree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneilthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1966 mustang/new owner
    Posted: May-20-2007 at 11:01pm
My father and I just bought a 1966 mustang with a v8 motor from a neighbor. He has owned the boat for quite some time, I know at least 15 years. We tried for 4 years to get him to sell us the boat. He finally gave in after what appears to be a failed attempt to restore the boat. The previous owner started by removing carpet, emblems, gages and other minor parts. Now it is our turn to attempt the rebuild. I started with this site and I am not sure if we did the right thing or if we have jumped in feet first with no life vest. I say this after seeing some of the rebuilds on boats from the mid 8os. My father and I are able to work on projects such as this. I plan to provide pictures after the up coming weekend. If anyone has tips on how to evaluate this boat please let me know. My main concern is the floor system, seals and basic mechanical functions like steering, throttle and trans linkage. Any help would be great. or
See you on Lake Gaston, NC
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 9:32am
Eric, The first thing you will need to do is check the condition of the stringers for rot. There are some fantastic threads on the subject here. Just put in "stringer" in the quick search feature and do some reading.

Congrats on getting the boat and welcome to this great site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneilthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 3:38pm
8122pbrainard,
Thank you for the reply. That dreaded word that seems to haunt many of the others on this site has appeared. We have already talked about taking the floor up and checking its condition. As before I hope to post pictures after this weekend. Keep monitoring this post for updates. Thanks Eric
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 10:00pm
I happy to see someone else with a '66. What engine do you have? Keep us posted and welcome to you.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneilthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 11:15pm
Jim
I know it is the v8 interceptor but not exactly sure of the cubic inches. I think we will be the third owner? I am looking forward to doing more research this weekend. I am glad to meet someone who I can ask questions. Hopfully you can assist us with this process of figuring out what is original and what has been creativly added. Pictures coming soon and then all can share in the joy or our coming "stringer" doom. No matter what it will be fun and thanks for the reply.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 11:32pm
oneilthree,

Being an Interceptor you probably either have a Ford 260 or 289. Both sizes were offered. There is a buttload of parts available for that engine. Keep in mind that the engine rotates in the opposite direction of a car engine and many parts, like the distributor, alternator, and starter, fuel pump, and carb must be "marine duty" rated and are not interchangeable with auto parts - but many other parts are.

As far as old CCs go I give mine an "average" rating in appearance. Even though, when I pull up to the marina guess who's boat gets all the stares and "ooohhss and ahhhs"? I get comments that range from "cool boat" to people hollering from the bank "what year is it"? I get many comments on "how nice it sounds".

You're going to have fun with that '66. It won't be the fastest boat around but it will turn heads.

Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneilthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 11:47pm
Jim,
Good information to begin my investigation process. I can remember seeing this boat for the first time and thinking how cool it looked and sounded. The beauty is when we get frustrated with possible repairs we have another boat to take out and renew ourselves. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:00pm
The distance between the bell housing bolts will tell you if it is a 260 or 289.
Tim D
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:20pm
TimD,NOT, cant tell you the year they did the change, but the 289 H/Moody had a different bolt pattern than the 1973 Waukashaw 302 I "tried to install.
I guess what i am saying is some 260/289 sbf had the same bolt pattern and they are not interchangable, so this is not a sure fire way to determine size.
Casting number on block behind or close to starter will tell you engine size.There should be a data tag on the bell housing w/info of original motor ........boat dr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneilthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:27pm
Tim,
Thank you for the reply. I will measure the bolts and get back to you for help if that is o.k. Your boat looks great. I hope my father and I can bring our back to glory. Our boat is a burgandy shade. I am looking forward to the start of our project this weekend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneilthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:31pm
Boat DR,
I will also try to locate the tag. With all this information I should be able to determine motor size. Thanks for the help.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 11:37pm
I think the 260 and 289 have a different number of bolts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneilthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:41am
Finally, pictures of the boat. I hope you enjoy what I think will be alot of work.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb187/oneilthree/july07072.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb187/oneilthree/july07073.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb187/oneilthree/july07074.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb187/oneilthree/july07075.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb187/oneilthree/july07077.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb187/oneilthree/july07078.jpg
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:51am
edited out pics
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:56am
Be carefull with the windshield . You dont want to try to buy a new one . The throttle control is not original . It should have a foot peddal with a selector lever to the right of the steering wheel . It looks like a good boat to start a project on . Good luck .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneilthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:56am
I am trying to figure out this picture thing.

I got it worked out. Now to the good stuff.

I told you so! My wife talking.

So far so good, I think.

O.K., now would be time for great words of wisdom. It is all here now my turn to do the work.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:00am
Your starter could very likely be automotive . But im only going by the different color . Your ski pilon is also not original , although it is a nice one .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneilthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:05am
Yes, the people who we purchased the boat from had it for a long time. I am sure they customized it from time to time. Once we uncover the surface I am sure the real problems will appear. Any advice is welcome.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:16am
Cool way to lock your trailer , but somebody is going to steel that ladder .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:18pm
That's a 260 Interceptor without a circ pump. A friend of mine has the same motor, same color,same low style intake in his '66.

and for Boat dr's reply above, I switched from a 260 to a 302. I know what I'm talking about. The 302 has a closer bolt pattern on the bell housing than a 260.
Tim D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:41pm
oneilthree, having the original seats is worth a gold mine! They are impossible to find. Just have a good upolsterer remake as original. Be sure to keep them. If the seat frames are showing their age have them repaired or rebuilt.

It seems some folks here move the battery out from under the driver's seat which seems like a good idea - I may try that myself.

When you need a steering cable consult Woody at Southwest Correct Craft - he saved me grief. The problem is CC has a funny policy about buying from local distributors and our local distributor was not near as knowledgable as Woody. But I had to buy from them anyway so therefore, Woody, sadly, ends up working for free. Woody, if you read this send me your address and I'll add you to my Christmas Honey Baked Ham list.

I doubt that you have an automotive starter - it would not turn in the correct direction.

My '66 also has the same throttle controller as yours except mine does not have the t-handle. Not all '66s had foot pedal control.

It is definately a 260. I would not spend a dime on that engine. If I had mine to do over I would have replaced with a 302, knowing what I know now. There is reference to an engine rebuilder on the forum that sells a rebuilt marine 302 for a very reasonable price. I think, in the long run, a rebulit 302 would be less costly than rebuilding the 260. The 302 should be a bolt-in except for the bell housing. I am not sure what would be involved here. Anyone? TimD?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:38pm
oneilthree, Pat is correct about the single handle shift/throttle. It is aftermarket so you will want to get rid of it. You can see where the shift was to the right of the wheel and then it would have had a foot throttle.

How's the hull looking for spider cracking or blistering below the water line? It has been painted so you may need to look real close. If hull problems had been corrected before painting then you may not see anything now. If the repairs were done incorrectly then the cracking can come back to haunt you!

Befor you jump in and re power with a 302, you need to ask yourself: how original do I want the restoration? I wouldn't discount the 260 just yet. It was a sweet engine and no big problems to my knowledge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 4:35pm
Hey pbrain, if you are correct about the shifter and foot pedal, and I don't think you are, where would you suggest a replacement foot pedal and shifter with cables be found?

I'd hold off on getting rid of the "after market" shifter.

BTW, my '66 has what is obvious a factory installed Morris control.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 4:50pm
Jim, Look again at this picture. You can see the modern T type single lever that is usually put on outboards and I/O's and never CC's. You will also note to the right of the helm a hole for a shifter and the F, N, and R emblems. With the shift on the dash, the only option on the gas was the floor pedal.

Finding these will be a problem but he can start looking on ebay. I will also link him to a company that handles old Century parts. They too used the dash and floor set up on some of their old Resorters.

Jim, Can you see it now?

oneilthree, Start here:
possible source for shifter and foot throttle

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 5:15pm
oneilthree, You may have looked through the Diaries already but if not here's a link to some great pictures of a Best of Show 66 Mustang with a 260 in it. Also please note your wheel is not correct ether. It would have been a 2 spoke white plastic or a 3 spoke stainless with wood.

66 Mustang

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 12:35am
Guys, in regards to the bellhousing differences between the 260 and 289, the 260 has a 5 bolt housing while the 289 has a 6 bolt. You may have read that the very first 289's like thru 1964-1/4 or whatever, also had the 5 bolt pattern, but this was quickly changed and I've never seen one. See this chart and maybe it will aid in identifying this and other engines. http://home1.gte.net/res03net/faqs/block.htm

I've also seen some of the older Interceptors like this that had either 260 or 289 stamped on the starboard front side of the front cover.
The single lever Morse control is listed as an option in many of the older CCs in the Ref Sect, with the pedal being standard.

Jim, good to hear from you buddy, and welcome to CCFan, Eric.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:31am
Hey Eric,

Welcome to the site. I can't add much to the discussion taking place about 260 vs. 289 bolt patterns. I can say that you struck gold by finding this site.

I am also on Lake Gaston. So is WATERDOG and ATMSLTR (Sp?). I'll be tracking your progress and looking for you out on the lake. If you ever see my '79, feel free to flag us down. We love to meet people on the lake.

-JMurph (John)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 3:35am
Thank you ReidP
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 8:25am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

The single lever Morse control is listed as an option in many of the older CCs in the Ref Sect, with the pedal being standard.

Thanks Reid, I stand corrected that the single handle Moorse was a option but that is not what is in that boat!! Jim, look real close this time!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 9:27am
Jim, Since you want to beat a dead horse, I was able to lighten up the picture so you can see it better. This is at least a 80's I/O or outboard control as I have mentioned.

The wheel probably came out of the same boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic