NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

first oil change

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:15am
in the event that i find gas in the engine oil and need to get it fixed what can i expect to pay for a marina to rebuild my motor?

need to start preparing wife.

thanks gents,

-phil
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 3:13am
Phil,

I rebuilt my 351 this past winter, excluding upgrading the heads to gt40p I spent about $2000 for machine work and quality components and did the assembly myself. I added heads, intake and new carb and another $1000 to the bill. A marina is going to get between $4-5000 to do the whole job. I would look for a rebuilt short block, get some buddies together and swap it out your self.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 3:56am
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

in the event that i find gas in the engine oil and need to get it fixed what can i expect to pay for a marina to rebuild my motor?

need to start preparing wife.

thanks gents,

-phil

if your getting gas in the oil most likely it's the fuel pump and not bad rings
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 12:51pm
79nautique,

you had me check for gas coming out of the clear fuel pump line that goes into the flame arrestor. anything else i can check to verify if the fuel pump is working correctly? it does look pretty old. i'm going to replace that clear line that runs from the fuel pump because i can barely see through it.

could you explain to me what happens with a broken fuel pump that causes fuel to get into the engine?

thanks!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:07pm
The pump doe's not break, the diapham cracks or perforates.This allows fuel to ,under pressure,to not go to the carb. In a car or truck it would go on the ground ,in a boat into the bilge.The hose,the clear one,will direct it to the flame arrestor.This will cause the engine to stall or die. This will stop a potentially deadly situation,motor dies and pumps no fuel into the bilge..............boat dr
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:26pm
so how does that send fuel into the oil? the boat runs perfectly at all RPM's. i don't see fuel leaking around the fuel pump or into the bilge.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:11pm

i also drained a little oil out and i didn't really smell any fuel.....

the whole dam boat smells like fuel to me...

Phos, I think you're over-freaking about this a little bit. The conversation has gone from your oil smelling like gas to needing a complete rebuild. Slow down and smell the gas a little more!

You have said the oil level doesn't change, the boat runs like a top throughout the entire powerband, you can smell gas in the oil at first, and now you're smelling gas everywhere in the boat.

Do a compression test, but I think your engine is fine. Gottaski has it right, idling the engine for a couple hours will not fill the crankcase with gas because it's getting burned off normally. You could be smelling gas from a number of different places. Changing the fuel filter/seperator will stink like crap for days. It's normal. Especially if it's sitting in your garage. There could be small puddle of of gas that accumulates on the intake manifold as mentioned earlier. Wipe that out if it's there. I had my tank full one time and we got this really bad heat wave come through. The gas expanded and about a cup came out the vent and on my garage floor. Stunk terrible for days again. Double check that there isn't any leaking from the gas tank and along the whole gas line up to the carb. Check every fitting and connection very carefully. Let us know what you find.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:34pm
I'm kind of thinking along the same lines as Backfoot at this point. You're over-thinking the problem. As long as you've confirmed that fuel isn't leaking anywhere so there is no safety issue, just change the oil and run the boat. Summer is short, don't waste it worrying. Do the compression test when you can, but don't wait, get the boat on the water and enjoy it.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:37pm
man you guys are so right. even my wife things i'm freaking out. i guess i'm just so excited i finally have a inboard ski boat and i'm worried something is wrong. i'll change the oil this weekend, check all fitings and see how it goes.

thanks guys.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 4:40pm
Excited is a good thing. Been there before. As long as you don't have a safety issue and gas is leaking all over the place, go out, enjoy the boat and get a feel for the old girl!!!!! She'll treat you right as long as you treat her right. Change the oil and keep a close eye on it. Also keep an eye on the tranny fluid levels and by all means, pay attention to the gauges. They are your most valuable asset for determining when things are right and when things are wrong. Pay attention to any weird noises or something out of the ordinary (like gas smells) but you need to first find out what ordinary is.

Good luck and enjoy!!!! Keep us posted. I need more fellow American Skier owners to set these CC guys straight once in a while.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 7:02pm
Comments like that Eddie will force us to end this open door policy to all non CC owners. I just kidding of course... Eddie you were right I love the way the BFN preforms on the top end with the MSD ignition system..
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 7:39pm
Mr. Bragg,We need more guys with C/C boats on this site, we will tolerate those with less than, but will not roll over . Eddie there is space in hyperspace for another forum like the one you just posted on.
Be a man , like Keith, and start your own.
But don't use any names that have been used before, like calling a boat line American Skier.
I personally own a REAL AMERICAN SKIER,and it was made by C/C.On top of that it don't have no stinking G/M motor in it.
We will allow you to play, just not change the rules..........This comes with owning a real boat..........boat dr
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 11:46pm
Phospher...yeah you are freaking! Just clean the whole mess up...check you gas lines when it, running....get the fuel smell gone and have fun!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:10am
wow, doc is bringing it!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 11:58am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Comments like that Eddie will force us to end this open door policy to all non CC owners. I just kidding of course... Eddie you were right I love the way the BFN preforms on the top end with the MSD ignition system..

Jim, I'm glad that you're enjoying it. It does make it so smooooooth. Did you end up going with the 6A and the MSD coil too? It was really fun to play around with the different springs and advance bushings to get it dialed in. I met a guy near here with a BFN who also installed a complete MSD setup in his boat and both of us have experienced the same issue that I need to warn you about. The mechanical advance started to rust up on the pivot points and would not advance as it should. It took quite a bit of judicious cleaning to get freed up and mine didn't give me problems until I had 6 years and well over 500 hours logged, but it is something that you should look at as part of your regular maintenance. What happened with mine was that it would stay at the initial timing until it hit 2000 RPM or better and go to full advance. Then when you throttle down, it sometimes would hang at 20 degrees advance or better.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Mr. Bragg,We need more guys with C/C boats on this site, we will tolerate those with less than, but will not roll over . Eddie there is space in hyperspace for another forum like the one you just posted on.
Be a man , like Keith, and start your own.
But don't use any names that have been used before, like calling a boat line American Skier.
I personally own a REAL AMERICAN SKIER,and it was made by C/C.On top of that it don't have no stinking G/M motor in it.
We will allow you to play, just not change the rules..........This comes with owning a real boat..........boat dr

Knew I would get a rise out of someone out there!!!!
Thanks Doc, you came through.

Eddie
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:30pm
Not to apologize for the above post, just to clarify my wording.We welcom all to this site, just as those of another brand to our reunions.
Just try to be apart OF,rather than a apart FROM.We all have a common intrest in these unique boats,we share and we scare.This is what i would try and as important is "please don't try or do that .As well as been there done that ,cost me a lot of money and grief.
this is what this site and its members are all about,share,care and swear.We have this
"Don't Tell and We Won't Ask"
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 5:10pm

i want to change the oil for the first time since i've owned my 1982 american skier.

No wonder you are having problems. 25 years before the first oil change is bit too long. Just a bit...
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 3:38am
ok, changed my fuel water separator, changed the fuel tube that runs from the fuel pump to the flame arrestor(it was so dirty i couldn't see through it), changed my oil and filter and replaced with rotella 15w-40, and tightened up a loose belt that would squeal a bit at start up. i was out on the boat all day today and everything looks great. i checked numerous times to make sure i didn't have any fuel or oil leaks after the changes. i also looked at the tube running from the fuel pump to the flame arrestor while the engine was running and there was no fuel going into the tube.

i'll keep an eye on the oil now to see how she looks. it was hard to tell when i drained the oil if it looked really thin. i think i did smell a bit of gas though.

thanks guys.

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 2:55am
Of course you thought you smelled gas in the oil...you are preconditioned to a biased expectation!

Go run the thing and take an oil sample from the drain hose ...let it set and see if there is any separation.The sense of smell is often times influenced by the mind...true fact!

also...if it has been a long time between oil changes...I would change it again after a few more times out on the lake...get a good clean new oil supply! My personal preferance is no BS straight 30 weight for older engines!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 2:13am
i checked the oil and smelled it the last time i was done using the boat(last weekend). The oil looked good and I didn't smell any gas. I just checked the oil again today and I believe I'm smelling the gas again. Could anything cause gas to get into the oil while the boat is just sitting not being used? It's only been 4 days since I last used it.

Thanks!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 11:48am
Get it running and then warmed up good. Pull off the flame arrester. When you shut it off, look into the carb throat and see if there is any fuel dripping from the carb into the intake. That would be the only way that gas could be getting in the oil that I can think of. If fuel is flowing when it's shut off, you have a float adjustment issue or the needle/seats are dirty and need cleaning or replacement. This would also cause hard starting issues when you have it warmed up. If gas isn't dripping from the carb, I think you're smelling things.

Eddie
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 12:45pm
thanks, i'll check that out. i've never had any hard starting issues yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic