Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop size

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop size
    Posted: September-25-2007 at 3:47am
Hey i just bought a 1969 barricuda with the 318B engine. I think this is the 235 hp engine, but i am not sure. anyone know the correct prop size for this setup?? the reason is that the boat seems to take a while to plane out, and doesnt really stay on as much of a flat plane as i was expecting. any input would be appreciated
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 9:14am
Congrats and welcome to the club!
My '65 rode a little bow high- I think that's normal. The correct prop should help with overall performance.
I'll have to double check this, I'm pretty sure I had an OJ Legend 12 x 12 that worked really well on the ol 65.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 9:29am
69, Have a friend with the boat and a 318. He has a 12 x 13 Michigan on it. Do you have water soaked foam?? How are the stringers??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 12:40pm
i am not sure about the foam or the stringers, i just bought the boat three weeks ago and have not had a chance to tear into the floor or hull at all. the floor and hull seem to be sturdy, but i am not sure since these older boats often seem to have wet foam. the prop currently on it seems to be very small, like a 10 x 10 even, so it is obviously wrong.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by 69barri 69barri wrote:

the prop currently on it seems to be very small, like a 10 x 10 even, so it is obviously wrong.

Based on what? Did you pull the prop nut and read the dimensions on the hub? You wont necessarily be able to judge the size by its appearance. The 12x14 on my Tique looks miniature compared to the 12.5x15 on my '90.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 12:57pm
Is there a boot stripe (water line) on the boat? If it sits in the water low and you can see it with this boot stripe, then you have extra weight. Do get a proper size prop on it.
Delta (one of our sponsers) may have a used / reconditioned for it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic