NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

minor hull repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: minor hull repair
    Posted: December-11-2007 at 11:21am
Originally posted by bill1 bill1 wrote:

yeh Pete, you did suggest a Minicraft kit. But let someone who does this everyday for $75 is a lot less than me ordering a kit and doing it myself for $100. And with the damage on the bottom side of an 81SN, the $75 option here worked better for me.

Bill, having gelcoat repaired- even if its a very minor repair- for $75 sounds like the deal of the century. I dont think thats a typical price for gelcoat work!
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 1:56am
thanks for all of the insight. ive actually looked into several gel coat repair kits but since the problem areas are on the bottom i wasn't really planning on putting a whole lot into it. there is a scratch from one of the runners on the trailer and the other is up towards the bow i guess from beaching. just wasn't sure if there were any tricks that turned out decent as alternatives.
hukt on fonix helpt me
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 12:20am
I went the cheap route and did a plastic welder epoxy. It was 4 bux and waterproof, dries in 24 hours, is hard in 15 minutes and has lasted 5 years without wear. It was underneath so I really didnt care much about how it looked just that it sealed.
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 12:12am
yeh Pete, you did suggest a Minicraft kit. But let someone who does this everyday for $75 is a lot less than me ordering a kit and doing it myself for $100. And with the damage on the bottom side of an 81SN, the $75 option here worked better for me.
bill
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 10:01pm
Chad, Here's what I was referring to:
gelcoat kits at West

This is a universal kit that you use the tints that come with the kit to come close to the color you need. You mentioned the scratches are on the bottom anyway!

Bill, I seem to remember that you were looking for a good match and the reason you looked at a Minicraft kit.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 9:18pm
Find a local or nearby fiberglass shop. they can get pretty close on matching to color. I priced a gelcoat repair kit a couple of months ago and the smallest kit was 100 bucks after you give them a color to match it to. You still have to do the work. A local shop here patched and repaired 3 different places on my boat for 75 bucks.

If it's a new boat, yes, get the kit so it will be matched more closely. It it's an older boat like mine, take it and let someone else do it.
bill
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 7:14pm
Chad, Go with one of the gel coat repair kits you find at a marine supply. I wouldn't use Bondo unless you are planning on doing a complete re gel of the whole hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 6:10pm
just curious about a small touch up job on the under side of my nautique. there are 2 or 3 fairly deep scratches that i was told to use bondo to fill in. will this work or is there a better solution. they are not deep enough to leak water.
hukt on fonix helpt me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic