NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Ski Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Ski Boat
    Posted: December-18-2007 at 2:40pm
First, a couple of facts:

1) My 50.00 18v Ryobi hand drill will handily drive a 4" lag bolt through a 4X4, or hang drywall all day, or put a hole saw through a solid oak door to install a deadbolt with no problems. The motor is about the size of a half roll of quarters and I'm assuming it works via extreme gear reduction. The batteries (NiCad) last for weeks with regular use or days with heavy use.

2) My ski sets only last 1-2 hours, if that and my boat is always stored near an electrical outlet for charging if needed

3) Removing my SBF V8 and gas tank will free up nearly 1000lbs of weight in the boat- that's a lot of room and weight for batteries.

4) Battery and electric motor technology are getting better and better these days. Electric motors can generate gobs of torque instantaneously and batteries are getting smaller and more powerful every year.

Now, the question:

Why can't someone create a battery powered ski boat? Most ski sessions don't last too long and the majority of your time on the water is just iding around to pick up skiers. It seems like a rechargable all-electric boat would fit the need of skiers and boarders perfectly. Zero emissions and silent power. No ZDDP oil changes or engine work! Would this not be awesome?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 2:57pm
I think you would need at least a small generator on board for "boost" power. I'm all for it because it would throw a wrench in all of the DNR rules around here. Lots of lakes around that are electric motor or 9.9hp.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 4:24pm
m3, you got the thinkin cap on today
"the things you own will start to own you"
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 4:25pm
Then what would all the gearheads do for fun with their boats??? I give you this, it is a noble idea but I am not to sure it will happen in the near future.

I think about things like that myself though. It's off the subject but, while snowmobiling this week end I wondered when they are going to make electric snowmobiles. NO need for heat exchangers to cool the motor. The snow would last a lot longer??? I guess only time will tell.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 4:38pm
I've mildly considered selling my GT40 and investing the proceeds towards the new powerplant but unfortunately I'm no electronic engineer. I know that with the right gearing,prop, and electric motor you would have one beast of an electric ski boat.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 4:43pm
Most tugboats are electric FYI

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 4:44pm
Joel,

You need to pick yourself up one of those hybrid cars and swap the motors out, or better yet an old decommissioned Nuke Sub, throw a tower on it, run her below the surface for no wake, may have to rethink the course setup though cause those anchors may get in the way.

Seriously though, a buddy has an electric boat and it is really cool, think it's a Spincraft, it runs almost silent, not very fast though.

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 6:07pm
I don't see why not. Have you guys seen the killacycle. It makes produces 500hp and has a top speed in the quarter of 168Mph and they keep making faster. It can make 7 runs per charge. Here is the link, is really cool. Killacycle
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 7:05pm
Here's your new boat M3

http://www.boesch-boats.ch/
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by 91nautique 91nautique wrote:

Here's your new boat M3

Heres the smallest electric powered one.

Better bring your wakeboard, top speed is only 21mph.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Here's your new boat M3

That seems like a pretty weak attempt. Looks like a direct drive motor setup. Right idea, though. Without being an electric motor expert it seems like you could get some major gear reduction going to increase the torque a bit. I keep going back to my 18v drill being so powerful for its size. Imagine scaling that same design up to what, 25x the size?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 8:08pm
Too bad the weight/power is not linear.

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 9:03pm
I was buying into it , thought it was a good idea .

Then BANG , You said silent power . That took the excitement right out of it .

Maybe we could mount Quinners stereo onboard with classic CC engine tones . That would make it all better.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 9:03pm
I'm putting a 900 RIVIERA DE LUXE w/ twin 454's in my annual Christmas letter to Santa. Maybe it's too late or have I not been good enough this year?

Honestly, I can see the day coming when I will be looking to convert to E85 fuel. We have plenty of that in Iowa!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 9:55pm
If I crunched the numbers right....
1KW=1.36 HP
50KW=68HP
I think Petes Atom Skier Tops that.
And for yall that want the sound we are working on that problem, It is in the think tank now .As it comes to the surface it will be posted here.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Here's your new boat M3

There's a new term, "attaining the Gliding Phase" is that code?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 11:13pm
Dude, First the myth busters thing, now this... put down the herb.

bj
hasbeenskier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 8:15am
Yes there are electric tug boats but they have a means of generating power and are not on batteries. Using this all battery Boesch as a example, I don't feel anyone would be happy with its performance. The Boat Doc is certainly on the correct track with the HP of the Boesch electric. They are using a 3 phase AC motor with a inverter setup for frequency-speed control so I'm comming up with roughly about 110 HP. (190 amps X 250 volts X 1.73 - 3 phase multiplier Divided by 746 with 100% efficiency. (efficiency is unknown so HP will be lower) That's not much HP compaired to gas but considering the top speed of 22 MPH is about right. Yes, my little Atom with the 60HP does better than 35 but of coarse is a lighter and smaller boat. Depending on the type of battery they are using, I figure they have 20 or 21 hooked in series. (they look like gel cells so it may be 20) A 4D gel gives you 180 amp hours so with that size you will only get about a hour of boating/sking (at 22MPH!!) before the volts are pulled down to the recommended min. This is if you were using the full HP drawing the 50,000 watts (190 amps).
Joel, With a gear reduction, yes, you would gain torque but you will loose RPM which means swinging a larger prop. The reduction drives in our gas ski boats now only improves the hole shot due to the larger prop. I don't think that is the answer. A electric motor has plenty of torque and increases with RPM.
As with electric cars, I feel the battery technology just isn't there yet. I wonder what the wake looks like? With 20 4D gel cell, that's 2600lbs of ballast! (130lb X 20)

Edit mistake: Electric motor torque decreases with more RPM.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 11:15am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Yes there are electric tug boats but they have a means of generating power and are not on batteries. Using this all battery Boesch as a example, I don't feel anyone would be happy with its performance. The Boat Doc is certainly on the correct track with the HP of the Boesch electric. They are using a 3 phase AC motor with a inverter setup for frequency-speed control so I'm comming up with roughly about 115 HP. (198 amps X 250 volts X 1.73 - 3 phase multiplier Divided by 746 with 100% efficiency - efficiency is unknown so HP will be lower) That's not much HP compaired to gas but considering the top speed of 22 MPH is about right. Yes, my little Atom with the 60HP does better than 35 but of coarse is a lighter and smaller boat. Depending on the type of battery they are using, I figure they have 20 or 21 hooked in series. (they look like gel cells so it may be 20) A 4D gel gives you 180 amp hours so with that size you will only get about a hour of boating/sking (at 22MPH!!) before the volts are pulled down to the recommended min. This is if you were using the full HP drawing the 50,000 watts (198 amps).
Joel, With a gear reduction, yes, you would gain torque but you will loose RPM which means swinging a larger prop. The reduction drives in our gas ski boats now only improves the hole shot due to the larger prop. I don't think that is the answer. A electric motor has plenty of torque and increases with RPM.
As with electric cars, I feel the battery technology just isn't there yet. I wonder what the wake looks like? With 20 4D gel cell, that's 2600lbs of ballast! (130lb X 20)

Ok, finally some good technical input on the subject! Exactly what I was looking for. An assumption I had made was that the electric motor would be capable of much higher RPM then a gas or diesel. So, with the reduction I was thinking that the reduction would "reduce" WOT RPM to 4400 RPM or so from something way higher, like 10k RPM or more. If that's not possible then oh well. Going back to the example of my drill, the reduction is pretty extreme, which is what initially got me thinking about this. Far more than a 1.5:1 or 1.23:1 ratio- I'm talking 10:1 or more. As another example, my RotoZip's 5A electric motor turns 30,000 RPM (just an example- I'm not thinking of powering a boat with a RotoZip). I'd imagine with some reduction you could see some major power at 4400 RPM. So, smaller, weaker motor with high RPM and serious redux. Is that feasible?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 11:33am
Joel, I made a error in my statement! The torque of a electric motor decreases as RPM's increase so any reduction you put on the motor isn't going to change torque but rather keep it constant. What I was trying to say in my previous post is if you increase the motor RPM, you will loose torque but then with a reduction box you will gain it back. You are now back to the point of having no box. You also would need to figure in losses in the gear box. They are not 100% efficient. Matching the correct motor to the correct prop would be the way to go without a gearbox.

The bottom line problem that still exsists is the batteries. A boat requires energy to keep it up on plane (or as Boesch calls it "gliding phase") and that consumes lots. Cars on wheels have very little rolling resistance and most of the power is to overcome the wind resistance.

You can't create needed energy with a gearbox.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 2:01pm
Pete- This should be right up your alley... except for the price tag! Twin screws in a inboard runabout would be great. Their website shows a video of someone wake boarding. We also have a Fiberglassics member that has grafted a 105# trust electric trolling motor into a old outboard case. They are just getting ready to test it.

EDISON BOATS

59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 2:09pm
Can you say "Sticker Shock"

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 2:26pm
Still, that's thinking outside of the box- why have one big motor when perhaps two smaller ones would work better? There has to be a solution here, although it may defy conventional thinking.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 2:37pm
Don't tug boats and trains have deisel electric engines in order to eliminate a transmission?
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2007 at 1:15pm
Here's some more on the Boesch:
http://blog.tradeonlytoday.com/dealer_outlook/index.php/?p=52

Wow! Okay, all "electric boat w/o V8 sound" nonsense aside...

...just kidding; the ideas are interesting and sad to say (for those (like me (and most of you)) addicted to V8 sound, they are probably necessary ideas.

I can appreciate thinking, as was mentioned above, "outside the box" except when it comes to inboard sound! That's where I like to think inside the box; and I mean actually inside the box, the dog box, the engine box! It's easier to think "period" with V8 sound in the background. It drowns out every distraction!

Someone thought outside the box once with digital cameras. I'm sure everybody by now has noticed that their digital cameras make a click sound that sounds like an old mechanical shutter "THAT ISN'T ACTUALLY IN THERE!"

You can turn that sound off on many digital cameras. It's like "silent choice" (or captain's choice?) for shutter bugs.

It's for "getting old dogs" (like us), but in the camera world, who can't imagine that their camera has actually taken a picture without going "CLICK!"

Similarly, I can't imagine a skier yelling "Hit it!" and the next sound you hear closely resembling the sound of a Makita (er, I mean Milwaukee) cordless drill!

Seriously, all "sound" discussion aside, the actual power capability still apparently has a good ways to go. You notice all references to skiing are directed toward wakeboard, trick ski and/or wake surf speeds (i.e. "SLOW"). Even without using my handy "km/H to mph" converter, I'm seeing numbers that basically mean "slow."

Here's a good conversion chart for aging skiers:   

< 50km/H = "Too Slow!"

Since 50km/H means close enough to 30 mph, it means those numbers you're seeing with those nifty electric boats are still "Too Slow" for your basic old dog skiing (barefoot and slalom).

I do like the old wood designs some of those companies are doing the E-boats in - those are some pretty boats, but I think that's just another attempt to entice a certain age of boaters into the fold.

Still, I guess I could live in a world without the super cool sound of gas engines provided the electrics (or whatever (hydrogen maybe??))were as powerful as gas AND less expensive to run. Think about folks that lived life using horses and liked it that way. I'm sure that was a tough transition for many.

Maybe that's why the automobile's first power plant's (gas engines) were said to generate
something cleverly named "HORSEpower!"

Inboards Rule!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2007 at 12:06pm
emd, which i believe stands for electric motor division, Detroit diesel, on trains,
uses a main power plant to motors (word correctly used) at wheels,
never on an electric powered tug but i believe they are out there on larger vessels.
I was on a 85 foot tug once and was pretty green at the time and we were tied off to the docks and the throttle hung wide open with the trans engaged, the tug tilted far to the side and scared the sh*t out of me, i was in the engine room, they got the throttle to come to idle....its one of those things you dont forget
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2007 at 1:34am
I gotta agree with Pat...why silent? How many heads would turn on the ramp when you fired her up? And ain't that at least part of the reason we are here?
Better ease up on the reefer.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2007 at 1:45am
Eric,
I watched a 5" tow line stretch and snap one time when we ran a barge aground. Picture a ski rope handle flying back into the boat after a fall X 100.    
88 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2007 at 10:09am
Aemmer, who did you work for? i did alot of work for American commercial barge lines down in South America,
Ive heard of these lines snapping and never seen it, the crew always told me about them snapping and to stay away we we were underway
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2007 at 2:49pm
jbear,

You're right! I just thought about it for 30 seconds and you're right; silent boats are stupid!
Your tag (or whatever you call those little quips there at the end of every post) has been my favorite since I saw it:

"Loud pipes save lives!"

And the sound is a big part of why mine says "Inboards Rule!"

So I take it back. I wouldn't be happy in a noiseless boat world.

I'm not sure what I was thinking?

Every now and then I get real practical for no good reason!
Inboards Rule!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic