Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Exhaust Hoses

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing Exhaust Hoses
    Posted: August-18-2008 at 5:52pm
Hey, I found the starboard exhaust hose to be heavily dry rotted. I need to know the best way to replace all of the exhaust hoses w/o removing my floor. Thanks. BTW, 1974 SN.
74SkiNautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 6:00pm
the center section of the floor behind the motor box should lift out once you find and remove the screws buried in the carpet. Basicly the section of floor that's about the width of the motor box and from the back of the motor box to the gas tank is removable once it is out then it's a piece of cake getting to them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 6:48pm
Yea, i was just outside looking how I can remove that one section of floor. I just have to remove the side ski holders which are holding the carpet down. I am ordering the hoses today! So i should have this all wrapped up by next week.
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

Yea, i was just outside looking how I can remove that one section of floor. I just have to remove the side ski holders which are holding the carpet down. I am ordering the hoses today! So i should have this all wrapped up by next week.

if the carpet isn't seamed then just cut it straight alone the gap in the wood and add new edging, the crapet doesn't have to go all the way to the side of the hull.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 5:10pm
Well, later on in the boats life, we would like to replace all the floor and install all new carpet. For now, we will just change the 1 foot section of hose on both sides, and we have enough to finish the job later.
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 5:34pm
My point is the carpet should be clued to the deck, so trying to remove it is going to make a mess and then you are going to have to replace it, where as if you just run a razor blade inbetween the small gap on each side of the removable panel in the floor then it's not going to make a mess and you don't have to replace the carpet at all and you might not even have to use edging where you cut it if it is glued down good still. But if you want to make the job harder more power too you it's your boat.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 6:00pm
Chris why you gotta be such a prick lately ???? There is more than one way to skin a cat,which is the correct way?
I would say," start at the head", some would say "wrong end".The start is not the point the finished job is the common goal we all seek.
Why not lighten up on the sarcasm a bit.............Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 6:06pm
what ever Billy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 7:21pm
how am i being a prick?? all i said was i am replacing the last section of hose???
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

My point is the carpet should be clued to the deck, so trying to remove it is going to make a mess and then you are going to have to replace it.

I understand that. We might replace the floor next year, and when we do that, we are gonna do the rest of the hoses and replace the carpet. I dont need to remove the section of floor to replace the last section of hose that connects to the transom. Thanks for all the advice.
74SkiNautique
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 11:10pm

how am i being a prick?? all i said was i am replacing the last section of hose???

Chris,
He was talking to 79nautique who's name is also Chris.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 1:18am
Chris[74] many humble sorrows are offered at your feet.I did not look at your profile and see that you and Chris[79] had the same first name.
I was trying to get Chris back on his meds and off his high horse.
Sorry if I offended you[74].......Boat dr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 2:03am
haha... Its fine...for a second..i was like....o my goodness...lol
74SkiNautique
Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 3:05am
I think everyone needs to review Keith's welome statement on each of these forums and make an effort not to overstep the behavior bounderies outlined and play nice and get along!
Booty
82,2001 82,2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 4:27am
everything is fine, I didnt think anything of 79's words. its cool.
74SkiNautique
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Booty Booty wrote:

I think everyone needs to review Keith's welome statement on each of these forums and make an effort not to overstep the behavior bounderies outlined and play nice and get along!

Thats no fun!

I think it is half the fun of this site. People get all worked up on one thread and then you look down two threads and they are joking with each other and sending their phone number.

There have been a few times when people have crossed the line, but I think for the most part it is all entertaining.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 12:10pm

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

My point is the carpet should be clued to the deck, so trying to remove it is going to make a mess and then you are going to have to replace it.

I understand that. We might replace the floor next year, and when we do that, we are gonna do the rest of the hoses and replace the carpet. I dont need to remove the section of floor to replace the last section of hose that connects to the transom. Thanks for all the advice.

usually it's a lot easier if you remove it but if you can get to the hose clamps and then get the hose broke free from both ends cool. But with my hands and arms it makes it a little tough doing it that way. And if the carpet is glued good all ready to the panel and deck then when you cut the carpet and reinstall the panel you really don't see much a of a line or gap where you cut it. I know when I first replace my carpet I did the same thing and used one piece then i cut it later when I added the dripless seal for the prop shaft.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 1:30pm
Booty, hang around and you will see how we bond here.
We use code words to show our true feeling of warmth and compassion.
So as you read some of the more colorful posts try to read between the lines and see the underlying message, it is there .
79 has the code down better than the rest of us and is slowly teaching us character and patience and love for our fellow man........Boat dr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 3:52pm
I can get to all 8 clamps(4 per side) on the last section of hose. They are a little tricky, but with a socket wrench i can get the angle i need. I will use some di-electric grease when installing the new hoses. Makes everything go easier.
74SkiNautique
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 5:37pm
You guys have any good tips for getting 20 year old hoses off???

It will be floor/stringer time in a couple of months after the skiing is over!

Tim

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

You guys have any good tips for getting 20 year old hoses off???

Tim

There's a joke in there somewhere.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 7:08pm
REMOVE is a start, this is precedded by a few glasses of Vino with a shot of soothing music.
Not a sure thing tho, if those hoses ain't been off in 20 years the smell will be a little strong.But go for it and report back if any more advice is needed... Boat dr
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 7:41pm
HAHAH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 7:52pm
When i try to remove mine...They will probably just crack and fall off...Then i will lightly sand the copper pipes smooth again.
74SkiNautique
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 10:42pm
I cut a line from the end to just past the copper pipe with my die grinder.You have to listen for the sound of the blade hitting the metal and move so you do not cut the pipe! I was left with some scratches which I sanded the copper anyway and the new hose covers up.I am sure that there is many ways but working on drilling rigs every day I have found this the quickest and best way if you are going to re-use the fitting,pipe,ect.. If you go prying around with a screwdriver or something you will probably bend it out of shape and have leaks.
kevinindy
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 10:59pm
Or I guess a 20 yr old female could do the job lol.
kevinindy
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:22am
I just took mine off the Barracuda and just used a Utility knife to cut the hose. I was then able to just peel it back and remove it.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:57am
Ill use a carpet knife to cut the rubber, and a small cutting wheel i have to cut the wire.
74SkiNautique
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 4:58am
Hey 74 ski nautique.Do you have some pics of your seats and especially the frames?? I am trying to figure out what I need to put back in this thing!Thanks,
kevinindy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 6:22pm
Kevin, i'll take pictures of my seats. Me and my dad built our back seat b/c in 74, there wasn't an option for a back seat. Why do u need pictures?
74SkiNautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic