Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Footing and Pain

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Footing and Pain
    Posted: March-03-2010 at 9:33am
I've been wondering about this for a while and as it's winter I lack useful things to occupy me, so the question is - how much does a barefoot fall hurt?

I think about the pain a good crash at wakeboard speeds - 21-22 mph in my case - can inflict (I'm usually just about better from last weekend in time for next weekend) and I wonder how you guys cope?

I'm 37 and can definitely feel that i don't bounce like i used to, some of you guys are, with all respect, a bot more than 37. I'm now wondering if I'm just soft and have a low pain threshold?

Let me into your secrets.

Tom
Easily Parted From Money
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 9:55am
take up knitting cause it only gets worse, you become the driver instead of the driven as time goes on
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 10:46am
I'm a few months away from 50 and I'll tell you that the hardest fall I took last year was on a darn wakeboard. I faceplanted harder than I ever have footing, it actually sent me to the boat and I sat out the rest of the day. I don't think I've ever hit so hard.

I will add I rarely have a fall footing that actually hurt, it's more of a bell ringer than pain and usually goes away pretty quickly. Every once in a while I'll come up dizzy from a faceplant, I've noticed I don't have the resistance to the dizzyness like I did when I was younger.

Don't afraid to give it a try because of the falls, just get out with someone that knows what they're doing and the falls can be minimalized. At the very least grab Lane Bowers dvd because it has driving tips that may be helpful.

ps. I sat out last year because of an unrelated injury but I plan to foot on my 50th birthday this summer and hope to do it again in another 10 years.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 11:05am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I plan to foot on my 50th birthday this summer and hope to do it again in another 10 years.

That is awesome. I plan to be so lucky.

I have not kneeboarded since an injury in 2006 and, at least in my head, plan on riding again this year.
I am 43, and definitely do not heal as fast as I used to. I think once you have the ability to barefoot you are a lot less likely to fall or get hurt as opposed to boarding in general. No one just rides a board around, you always want to try something new or big. And then there is the edge that acts like a lever and will pound you off the water like no other i.e. Alan's description.
Even take a barefoot cilnic. I have taken a few from Lane and it will improve your ability and confidence so you won't even worry about the occasional digger.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 12:19pm
You also will frequently skip across the water on a barefoot crash. not so much at 22-23mph with a big piece of fiberglass strapped to you.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 12:27pm
Tomski
I'll be 47 next week. I've been footing since I was 13. I will tell you that the hardest falls I've taken have been wakeboarding. It's just like the snowboarding falls. With both feet locked in, there is less time to prepare for the hit. I ski on a show team, and one of the tricks I do (mainly because none of the young guys want to do it) is the two ski jump out. When this trick goes wrong, the falls are yard sale caliber. It's great if your a spectator, but it sucks being the footer. But, that being said, I still contest that wakeboard falls are more spooky, especially on the knees.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 12:33pm
I have lots of time footing but not much wakeboarding, but found the typical wakeboard forward toeside slap to be more violent than a typical barefoot forward biff feet-to-face. The BF is more spectacular and more style points awarded. Albiet i 1-foot at 36 mph, not 41.
I no longer foot but thats due to sinus irritations than the pain.
The guys who taught me well are all 60+ and they are still going strong and putting on a clinic. Technique conquers all. At age 37 its beginning time you best not figgure it out the techniques the hard way, one needs an experienced driver/instructor to begin enjoying the barefoot experience.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 12:51pm
Most painful falls I've had were on the wakeboard too, well the fall started on the wakeboard at least. Footing has caused plenty of eye peelers, bell ringers, scorpions, sack tears on failed 2 ski jump outs, shoulders yanked hanging on through falls (try not to do this anymore)... Then, you want to go backwards and suffer through another set of crashes!

Take the learning slow and surround yourself with [good] instruction, you'll do fine!
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 2:46pm
It doesn't have to be so painful as many have stated.
besides "Pain is Temporary, Glory is Forever"

BTW: I'll be 48 this year and do not plan on giving it up until I can no longer physically do it any more. Just like....

To bad they can't invent meds to get you up barefootin'
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 3:01pm
In my little experience on barefoot I haven´t got any fall I can say it really hurt..they look bad to see..you are in the feet and suddenly you are in the water haha but they are no hard..since I started I only had 2 bad falls and i felt the pain in the lower back..The scorpion i think they are called. But the pain went away inmediatelly
As Alan my worst fall were on a wakeboard..I even fainted once and was left floating face in the water for a couple of seconds until the boat came up to rescue me...I was carried in an ambulance to the hospital....bad experience!!! And a couple of time the hit was so hard I lost the memory for a few minutes...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 4:10pm
***************, kap just reminded me that I've been knocked out once, broke my eardrum twice and broke my ankle once, that may be where my dizzyness comes from....but WTF "man up" and get out there.

All the above comes from being 21 and Hollywood balls to the wall crazy about footin. And those injuries came before we had a boom and no one to learn from, all trial and ERROR! haha I'm getting stoked just thinking about it.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 4:29pm
Sounds sort of like my goal Alan. This pic was last year at the lanier get together & my first time footin for about 15 years. Felt great even if it hurt! Have fun with it.

Greg

86 BFN
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 4:30pm
Wakeboards are evil! I don't think the falls are any worse than what I can do to myself on a foil, but the wakeboard is more likely to do more substantial damage to your knees and ankles, and they happen much more frequently, at least in my case. I can see where the lack of equipment attached to a barefooter and speed keeps them from digging in an wrenching something as easy as you would with the slower speeds in other sports.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 5:11pm
All good advice above, keep in mind that one painful aspect you cannot do anything about is the burn of your feet, this does get better the more you foot but is mostly unavoidable.

I will also agree that WB falls can hurt like a mofo but they do not make my top three, have had a couple slalom falls at max velocity that have left me seeing stars like never before, my number one brain and body scrambler however was on the Sky Ski, only made it around 75% on a flip with big Air, hit so hard my feet even came out of the bindings that you shouldn't come out of, took me quite a while to shake those cobwebs off.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

***************, kap just reminded me that I've been knocked out once, broke my eardrum twice and broke my ankle once, that may be where my dizzyness comes from....but WTF "man up" and get out there.

All the above comes from being 21 and Hollywood balls to the wall crazy about footin. And those injuries came before we had a boom and no one to learn from, all trial and ERROR! haha I'm getting stoked just thinking about it.

OK since all the oldtimers are chiming in, I guess I will too, and until JBear gets home tonight, at 55, I think I am, momentarily, the senior ambassador.

I guess the point of the seniors division offering opinions is that we are not quite as resiliant as we were 30 years ago, and we still find it worth the occasional ache or pain. I included Alan's response becasue its similar to mine. Multiple broken ear drums, a few days in the hospital with 31 stitches holding my heal back on, too many bell ringers to mention, back surgery (not directly related, but based on the timing of the symptoms that led to it, I would certainly say related, pulled hammies/groin just 2 summers ago, learning back deeps.

The most common things, I would guess, are the bell ringer falls, which get your attention, but really arent too bad. Last fall I was taking some runs with a very experienced skier, but who had little exposure to barefooting. According to my son, who was driving, Peter was pretty amazed that I kept getting up and going for more after each fall. He thought each one was a run-ender, but to us, they were just another fall. Right now I am counting the days (estimated to be 87) till I get back out there and break in my new Barefoot Central neck brace. Can't wait!!
aokcaldwell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 10:54pm
First timer, 37 years old, make sure you're with a good instructor. I am 42 and learned by kicking off a ski. When I was properly taught my 1st deepwater start with the proper instructions, an experienced driver and the right conditions, it was easier than getting up on two skis. Technique and form will save your arse and is the key to longevity. I can't remember the last time I did not get up on a deepwater start let alone a boom. Suggestion, invest in a good wetsuit, wear neoprene shorts underneath your wetsuit, buy a good barefoot rope, get instruction from an experience footer and get a good driver, otherwise you may get pulled through some serious rollers and be launched into orbit! You will be fine if you listen to this thread, they all have great suggestions.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 12:09am
Thanks for the lead-in Larry.....

I'll up the ante...just turned 59 and will be footin' in 10 years when Alan turns 60. Wow...then I'll be knocking on..yikes.

Learned to backerds when I was 57. Have to second what was said about good instruction. My guy was/is backfoot100..Eddie..what a teacher. Of course footin' with guys like Hollywood tends to keep one young. Invest in a neck brace too. Money well spent.

As to the falls...best I can say is my wakeboard has been in the garage attic for 2 years now and is gonna stay there for awhile more. Jump and kite crashes used to hurt even when I was younger but I haven't done either of those in quite a few years.

I'd show-off with a bacerds pic but I crahed my computer a couple weeks ago trying to "fix" it. So it might be awhile before I find my pictures. Man I hate computers! But our IT guy finally had pity on me and came to the house yesterday and got me going. Sure am glad to be back!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:19am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I'd show-off with a bacerds pic but I crahed my computer a couple weeks ago trying to "fix" it. So it might be awhile before I find my pictures.

john

Think I might be able to help you out there John...I keep these around for motivation.

and for the action shots...

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:46am
Thanks Larry! Must be the very smooth water and great instruction..which btw..you could easily take advantage of with a short visit here. You'd get to try out that new neck brace.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 2:06am
Wow John, the Mrs and I am impressed. Gracious host too. Good to see you back on here,thought you'd be getting withdrawals.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 2:16am
I was. I needed our IT guy to have pity on me. Did a house call last night..man it is good to be back on at full speed. Still some stuff to figure out tho..like no sound for some reason and lost all my addresses. Got to redo the favorites list..but still good to be back none the less.

What do you mean "gracious host"? We would have been better hosts if you had stopped for a night with me and Patti. BTW..still enjoying the liquid refreshment you brought me...thanks!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

All good advice above, keep in mind that one painful aspect you cannot do anything about is the burn of your feet, this does get better the more you foot but is mostly unavoidable.

I have nasty first hand knowledge of this aspect of footin'. A couple of years ago, we were practicing for endurance footing when I developed a blister (not the first) on my heel from a long run. I didn't do anything with it until I noticed a strange smell. I checked out my heel, and the blister was black and gnarly looking. The next day I saw my doc. He sent me right to the hospital for a bone scan. He was worried that the deep blister, now infected, had reached the bone. If that would have happened, transfusions, or worse, they start lopping off parts. It all checked out good, but I had to off-weight the heel for 3 months. The Doc wanted me to use crutches early on. I told him there's no way I'm telling my buddies the crutches are because of a freakin' blister. So I limped around.
A teammate of mine had his second or third round of heel burn surgeries this past season. The last one being a 3" round black heel. His Doc told him he has to quit doing what he's doing to cause it. His response was "I don't think so"
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

skierox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 12:38pm
Heel blister, yup I know all about that! I did mine two years ago on the July 4th going long line! The lake was smooth,and I was was having a blast. I noticed that into a sharp left turn while outside the wake that my left foot began to burn, but felt better going back into the chop of the boat. It felt numb behind the boat! I ended my run because of a big 28 ft fishing boat throwing a good wake. At the time, I was upset at the fisherman, but he really did me a favor. My small eraser sized blister got worse as the day went on, did oatmeal baths and toher things, and stopped footing after that. The blister grew into the size of a quarter, never got black though! The wound repairs itself in layers from the inside out. While at a campground at the Wisconsin Dells, it finally closed up, same day that we were going to a water park. There was no way that I was going on any rides, I sat, read a book and let the air and sun continue to repair the damage. My mistake was that I also continued to ski while wearing a sock that summer, most likely adding bacteria to the wound.    

I kept active, but could not wear closed toe shoes. My foot would really throb after walking around. While camping n mid August, I noticed these little flys (size of fruit flies) congregating around my wound, as I tried to keep it uncovered so that air could help to close it up!

It's all good now, but I still have a dark pink area the size of a small eraser which shows the spot of the wound, not tender, but there! I still foot, but drop when it starts to burn! Only thing that came close was a fall from jumping into a cross wind and hitting the water sideways with the body!

skierbrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 5:03pm
I will agree with everyone else. Wakeboard falls suck! I've never gotten injured so much in my 35 years of skiing like I have with wakeboarding! Barefoot falls are nothing! If you remember to tuck and roll when you fall. Seems hard to even think you have time to do that, but after time, you will learn to fall without taking one to the face! I do have video of my dad after his first successful attempt of a deep water start, stand up too straight, spit, then face plant! He actually bruised his eye lids! (he was 42 when he learned).

Lane bowers has a video on youtube of a 76 year old man that is backfooting! He learned at age 70. It helps to go out with someone with experience so you learn the right way the first time!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2010 at 1:12pm
talking about pain..had a bad scorpion yesterday, my neck and waist are still in pain, Waist is still stiff and I can´t arch back!!!
lesson: never foot in choppy waters!!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2010 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

talking about pain..had a bad scorpion yesterday, my neck and waist are still in pain, Waist is still stiff and I can´t arch back!!!

Well overall, I'd say that sounds like a pretty good day of footin' The aches and pains the next day are pretty much a direct correlation to the fun and satisfaction of the day as you can see in the data from the following scientific study.

But it does help to find relatively smooth water. I've seen some of your videos and you do try to tackle some pretty rough water.

All that being said...do be careful out there...you don't want to bust yourself to the point of losing out on time on the water
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 1:23am
You must be pretty busy at work these days Larry...10:56am!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

You must be pretty busy at work these days Larry...10:56am!

john

Priorities, John. Besides, spreadsheets and graphs almost look like real work.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 1:14pm
little better today..still some pain though...
lol
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

little better today..still some pain though...
lol

That's good news. As long as you're all better by the weekend so you can go out and do it all over again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic