NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

88 Martinique B/R balance problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
bryanandmissy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 88 Martinique B/R balance problem
    Posted: August-08-2011 at 3:05pm
I am new to this site. So thank you in advance.
I bought a 1988 Martinique last year that is in great shape. Best purchase ever! However I have noticed once on plane and with weight equally distributed laterally that the boat tends to lean heavily towards the driver side. I have to put 3 people on the left side with only the driver on the right to even/balance the boat. This is only on plane. Is this normal or is there a way for me to fix it? Help Please!   
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 3:42pm
CC used reverse rotation engines to spin RH props which counteracted the condition you describe. It's quite possible that a PO repowered it with a standard rotation (automotive). From the rear of the boat, a RH prop will spin clockwise to move the boat forward.

Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 7:07pm
Thanks 8122pbrainard. I will look into this and get back to you.
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 8:19pm
8122pbrainard,

I looked at the prop as you said and it looks to be original equipment.I have left an picture of the prop. Do you have any other thoughts? Thank you.
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:27pm
They're good boats, but draft deep and i've been prone to smacking stuff with the prop. Might also have something to do with how far down the texas lakes are right now. Notice anything else that doesn't seem right? What's the prop sitting on in that pic?
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:37pm
And yes, that's a RH prop, most likely original. I did want to mention that I tweaked one of my tracking fins a few years ago and that made the boat list a bit under power.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:46pm
I agree that that is the original MW prop. I'd say give Delta a call and see what they say after you give them the specs. Report back!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 4:26pm
The Prop is still on the shaft in that picture. What you see at the bottom is the locking nut and part of the pin. I will take your advise and report back. Another picture for you to see. Thanks.
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 4:44pm
Looks like there may be a deflection (bend) in that bottom blade.
Might want to consider a new prop. That rash looks pretty severe on that upper left blade. May weaken it quite a bit, could break loose.IMO
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:16pm
OK. Just talked to Delta and they recommended going to a Acme 912 Prop. 13 RH 10.5 and said I would get better performance in all aspects. Didn't know that was even possible. He said the technology is just that much better. I would get better performance out of the hole and higher top speed. I have a 1 to 1 drive and right now I get about 3600 rpm when it wide open (try not to do this very often). He said I would get more speed and rpm too with this prop. Out of the hole and top end. Have you guys heard of this before? I was always taught it was a trade off, you sacrifice one for the other.

As far as the imbalance, he said it could be due to torque and this may help but he can't say for sure. Any thoughts?
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:21pm
jimsport93,

Thank you for your opinion. I was wanting to wait until next year but am now highly considering a new blade soon. I think you are correct, but do you think the prop imperfections could be causing my boat to lean heavily to the right?
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:29pm
It is definitely possible that a new prop would make your boat perform better in every way. There's been a ton of talk about the huge gains of the new ACME props.

On the listing... it's only while under way, right?

Just theoretically, I almost feel like your old banged up prop would have caused a paddle-wheel effect that would make it lean the other way. The prop is right hand rotation, right?

I would tend to look at other running gear for any oddities as well. Tracking fins, strut, rudder.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:30pm
Daddyo,
Can you elaborate more on the tracking fin issue you had?
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:47pm
Yes, I do. Any time you have a bent, chipped etc blade it will affect performance. That one bent blade very well could contribute to the listing problem. How about everything else under the boat? Tracking fins straight? Strut straight? Rudder straight? Shaft straight?
Sounds like you may be "overpropped" (too high a pitch) on what you are running now. Delta is correct. Lower pitch equal more RPMs. More RPM's will improve hole shot and increase the top end. There is a delicate balance. You want to hit max rated RPMs at WOT (wide open throttle)when determining the right prop. I like to run the boat loaded like how I use it most (people and gear...it is a function of weight) to determine the proper RPM range with a particular prop.
What motor you got in that boat? What is the max recommended RPM? Do you know?
Sounds like you are on the right track after talking with Delta
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:48pm
Bri892001,

Yes it only does this on plane and I agree the RH prop should give it the tendency to torque towards the left. Is there a way to verify/tweek the tracking fin alignment?
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:55pm
Not totally sure how you'd verify it. Nothing is obviously bent though?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:57pm
You can usually look at the tracking fins and tell it they are bent.
My bet is on that prop being the main culprit, but do have a look at the fins.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:57pm
OK. I have decided to order a new prop so that I can eliminate this as a possible reason and go from there. I will get back to you guys on the outcome.
I would still love some advise on how to verify the tracking fins alignment and/or how to adjust the rudder if needed.
Thanks for all of your insights.
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:59pm
Ok I will just visually look at them. Thanks so much for your help and quick response.
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 6:03pm
Suggest posting a photo or two of the tracking fin on here. Ask Delta about fixing your prop so you can keep it as a cheap spare. The new prop will feel like a dream and hopefully fix your problem. Be sure to get some valve grinding compound for lapping and read Pete's prop install thread on here and ask questions so you get your new prop on right.

Rich
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 7:48pm
Tweaked the fin as in I was an idiot and bent it at the ramp. Drove squirrelly after that, but not nearly what you've described. I'm still using the original 13X12 on mine, just too many stumps in my lake. One guy on here used that 912 on a martinique and loved it. He did report a crazy high rpm at wot, but never confirmed it when it was questioned. Others have used the 542 and seen nice gains too. Might want to verify this with delta and make sure you're getting the right prop for how you're going to use the boat. Keep us posted on how it works out.

chris
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 7:53pm
And it was obviously bent and twisted.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by martin 74 martin 74 wrote:

Be sure to get some valve grinding compound for lapping and read Pete's prop install thread on here and ask questions so you get your new prop on right.

Rich

Just in case you have a hard time finding it

proper prop

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 9:09am
Thank you gentlemen. Will report back.
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 6:24pm
Any updates? I'm curious how that prop worked for y'all.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 4:05pm
I got the Acme 912 and put it on 2 weeks ago. I took the boat out for about a 5 min ride just to verify all is well. The lean seams to be better but not totally gone. However, I was by myself and couldn't really gauge the difference because I didn't have anyone to move around. I am going out this afternoon and with passengers and will report back with more specifics.

Side notes:
I noticed a big difference in smoothness.
I noticed the boat comes out of the hole much faster and the nose seems to ride much lower when I am on plane.
I noticed the WOT went from 3700 to 4100 and my top speed went from 36 mph to 41 mph.
All great things.

However, I am wondering if the problem is actually a left turning issue and I am correcting it by turning the wheel right which causes a lean to the right. Because when I place the wheel in a manner as to where the boat is level laterally I have a very slight turn left, even while its perfectly level.

Will get back to you later tonight.

Bryan
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
1989SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 4:44pm
Sounds like propwalk to me. Your old beat up prop was likely walking hard to the left at speed, causing you to counter by steering to the right, and causing the lean. The new prop doesnt walk nearly as bad, and therefore the lean isnt the same. All inboards (single engine ones anyway, but thats another topic) will propwalk to some extent, and is normal. Its the same phenomonon that causes the boat to back up to the left.

Compare where your steering wheel was when going straight with the old prop to where it is now. I bet it will be different.    
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 2:03pm
Ok. After taking an hour ride last night, I will say it is a little better. However it is still noticeably leaning right. I weigh about 200lbs and was driving. I had my wife and all three children, about 240 lbs on the opposite side and the extra equipment is mostly balanced. Again when I level the boat, by turning the wheel to the center, the boat has a slight turn to the left. So naturally to go straight I have to turn the wheel right which leans the boat right to counter the left turning tendency. I understand the concept of "propwalk" as you call it, but this seems to me to be more than that.

Does anyone no anything about, or is it possible to adjust the guide fins? They seem to be straight and in perfect condition from a quick eye, but is it possible something hit one of them and it is off a degree or two and I could adjust them?

My intuition tells me if I were to adjust the leading edge of the front fin toward the starboard side a few degrees, that may solve the problem. Is this possible?

Bryan
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 2:09pm
I've heard of a bent shaft strut causing this too.

And, you're totally sure the boat sits level when at rest and no weight in it?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanandmissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 2:10pm
Yes, It is fine until I am on plane and then it gets progressively worse as I accelerate.
Bryan
1988 Martinique B/R
Louisville, KY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic