NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winnebaggo Brake issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winnebaggo Brake issue
    Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:32am
I know this is a boat site, but I'm running out of ideas. I posted this on a Winnebago forum, but I know a lot of you guys own RV's and large trucks and I hope you guys can help point me in the right direction.

Sorry for the long winded post here, but I don't want to leave anything out that may help.

I've had an issue with what I belive is the brakes dragging on my 1984 Winnebago Elandan that I bought in April. It's a "class A" Motorhome built on a Chevy P30 Chassis.

When I test drove it, before I even bought it, the drivers side front brake caliper got stuck. The PO said it was probably from sitting over the winter and took it apart and pryed it back and said that he sprayed some penatrating oil in it and it was fine. it seemed fine when I drove it again but I didn't go far. I bought it, took it home, changed the oil, filled it up with gas, and replaced the front air bags since I noticed they were completely rotted out. After replacing the air bags I took it for a ride down the highway and when exiting the highway hit a small bump and the thing started shaking violently! there wa also a clunking sound coming from the front that stopped when I applied the brakes. The shaking scarred the b'jesus out of me! I pulled over and looked the front end and tires over and everything seemed fine. I drove it back home without incident. I took it back home and pulled the wheels off to look things over and shake it down, everything was tight. The PO said he had replaced the brakes before I bought it but from the looks of the rotors it looked like he just swapped out the pads.

Not having time to work on it, I took it to a local shop that works on commercial trucks, Rv's etc... They determined that it was the caliper hanging up. said that it got so hot on the one side it had almost melted the rubber hoses going to the calipers. They replaced the callipers, rubber hoses, pads and rotors. I picked it up, the brakes seemed to stop much better than before. We took our first trip to Salt Fork about 70 mile south of us. We just did an overnighter and drove back the next day. I heard the clunking again and took it back to the shop. They told me one of the pad clips had come off, and they replaced it.

Next time I took it out was to take it to a guy to have some support welded up to the frame extension for towing the boat. On the way to the welders I heard clunking again then when I went over some RR tracks I felt a wobbling in the front end and herd the clunking sound again, Again it would stop when I applied the brakes. After getting the welding done I didn't feel like messing with it any more because I wanted to use it. I took it down to Salt Fork and parked it in a storage place about 6 miles from the park. We used it all summer, We would take the boat down with the truck, drop the boat at the campground and Paula would drive be back to the storage place to pick up the RV and I would drive it about a total of eight miles to the campground. The first couple times it was fine then I started hearing the clunking again everytime after I drove it for a while. It never made the sound at first, only after driving for a while.

I picked it up and drove it back from Salt Fork last week and took it to the shop that installed the brakes and told them it was still making a clunking sound. they took them apart and said one of the baking plates had come loose from one of the pads. They told me they just removed the backing plate from the pad since they "don't do anything anyway" I picked it up and drove it about 10 miles to a place to fill up the propane tanks. Again, as soon as I slowed down from highway speed on the ramp I heard the clunking again! I filled the propane and drove it back to the shop. I felt the wobble again after hitting a bump right before I turned into the shop, but once again I was going slow so it wasn't a violent shaking, more like someone was turning the wheel back and forth really fast.

They called me the next day and said they can't find the problem, It may be something with the rod comming from the brake pedal, said there was some play in it, but "it's so old that the part isn't available... blah blah blah... When I went to pick it up I had them show me what part they thought was bad and causing the problem and I thought it looked fine, very little play. I got the feeling from them that they never wanted to see me or my Winnebago again! I was really disappointed they couldn't find the problem. I told them I would pay to fix what ever it was, I just wanted it fixed!

So here is what I know:

1. I am almost certain that one of the front brakes are dragging and once heated up are causing the clunking and the wobble/shaking.

2. It's fine when you first drive it, the problem only comes back once its been driven a while. The more you use the brakes, the worse it gets.

3. I only hear the clunking at slow speeds and it will go away when I apply the brakes.

4. My Winnebago has four wheel disk brakes and is built on the Chevy P30 chassis.

5. I was told the back brakes were in good shape. I had them look them over and balance all of the wheels while it was there the first time. They said all the tires were in good shape. Also said all of the front end was tight and that the wheel bearings were fine too.

6. I've been reading about the brake system and I'm not finding anything like what I'm experiencing. I did learn that it has a Hydroboost system that runs off of the power steering pump, could this hydroboost cause this problem?

7. I'm thinking about replacing all of the brake fluid in the system and maybe the power steering fluid in the power steering pump and hydroboost system. Maybe this will help?

I really want to get this straightened out. It's almost ready to snow, and I would really like to take it on a road trip before I put it away.

Please help me! I don't know where to even start looking.

ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 8:36am
I know a fair bit about large Fords, Internationals, etc.   But not sure of your exact set up. A pic of the front disc, king pin area would help.

Do you have any wheel play while traveling down road?
Do you feel the need to "heard" or constantly correct steering while at highway speeds?

Since the last episode of a "siezed caliper" were the rotors checked?

Does the coach have an early ABS system?

Things I'd check,

Wear at king pins

Bellcranks for play

Wear in steering. Not from steering wheel to steering box, but from steering box, in the drag arm area, and pitman arm and linkage.

Rotor runout.

Bearings. Wonder if it got hed hot?
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 8:48am
I re-read and see rotors were replaced.

Check to see if a caliper is hanging up still.     Drive for a block or so and feel the wheels. See if it getting hotter than the other.

I bet this is only a brake problem if, the rotors are warped, or you have an early ABS system.

Not for sure if your issue happens always, only when appling the brakes, or going over bumps and braking.
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 9:30am
Shocks? and or broken spring, bushes?
Is there a steering damper? also check its bushes. This would also cause a shake.
Tom
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 11:15am
it sounds like brakes still but in my one ton the death wobble occurs every time my steering stabilizer wears out bumps seem to contribute to it
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 11:51am
Randy-- It's Jimmy Hoffa rolling around in your frame rails

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 1:22pm
Bang. Peter is on point. I feel as if you have two different problems. The problem causing the less violent shaking and the noise then the problem causing the high speed wobble. The violent shake would be the steering dampner (if it has one looks like a shock attached to the axle and steering linkage or frame). They don't have to have a lot of miles on them to go bad. Mostly age is the problem here due to seals leaking. A tire can also cause death wobble and you will see no other symptoms of a bad tire.

As far as the brakes sticking you may need to drive it get it hot and very quickly jack up the front end and spin the wheels. Have someone else in the vehicle apply the brakes while you try to spin each wheel then release the pedal and see how slow or fast the brakes release. This will either prove or disprove the theroy of the brakes sticking.

On to the noise. Most people can work on cars just fine but they cannot diagnose problems. Part hangers... which sounds like the shop you are working with. I have somewhat of an idea that this has some miles on it. Brake pads will wear calipers and caliper stands over time. If there is a slight warp in the rotor this might not be felt but it can cause said caliper or pads to move forward and backward as the rotor rotates sometimes causing noise. The only remedy for this is usually finding a replacement spindle that has less wear on it or just a caliper stand if it comes off of the spindle.

Get crackin and fix that big box!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

I know a fair bit about large Fords, Internationals, etc.   But not sure of your exact set up. A pic of the front disc, king pin area would help.

Do you have any wheel play while traveling down road?
Do you feel the need to "heard" or constantly correct steering while at highway speeds?

Since the last episode of a "siezed caliper" were the rotors checked?

Does the coach have an early ABS system?

I do have a bit of play in the wheel and do feel the need to correct it at highway speeds. I figured this was typical of these vehicles... This is the only RV I've ever drove, the largest vehicle besides this that I ever drove was our old GMC Suburban, so I'm not really sure what to expect.

The rotors were replaced along with the callipers, supply hoses, and pads. Should I remove the rotors and take them to a machine shop and have them look at them?I don't know if the shop pulled them off and put them on a machine that would tell them if they were warped or if they just assumed since they were new they must be fine.

No ABS system

Things I'd check,

Wear at king pins

Bellcranks for play

Wear in steering. Not from steering wheel to steering box, but from steering box, in the drag arm area, and pitman arm and linkage.

Rotor runout.

Bearings. Wonder if it got hed hot?

I'm not sure how to check for wear at the king pins, but the shop said everything on the front end was tight. They said they took a pry bar to everything looking for play and found nothing.

This last time they said that their was some play in this arm that comes down from the pedal(sorry don't know what this part is called, they said they didn't even know what it was called(red flag?)) I had the service manager show me what he was talking about, we crawled under it and he pointed to the place where he said the play was, but it hardly moved at all, maybe 1/32" He didn't even seem to convinced that it was a problem but assured me that the part wouldn't be available anyway and would need to be manufactured by a machine shop and would cost a lot of $$.

They checked the bearings, said they are fine. I also had it jacked up and they appeared fine to me and my buddy who helped me. the wheels spun fine no worn bearing sounds...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:20pm

I re-read and see rotors were replaced.

Check to see if a caliper is hanging up still.     Drive for a block or so and feel the wheels. See if it getting hotter than the other.

I bet this is only a brake problem if, the rotors are warped, or you have an early ABS system.

Not for sure if your issue happens always, only when appling the brakes, or going over bumps and braking.

Good idea, I will do that to see if they are getting hot. I've crawled under it and felt the rotors and clipers to see if they were hot after the clunking starts, they are warm, nothing seems too hot, but one doesn't seem any warmer than the other.

If the rotor are new (only about 300 miles on them) can they be warped? how can I tell if they are warped? do I need to take them off and take them to a machine shop?

No ABS system.

The clunking sound only happens after it has been driven a while. Never at first. Once the clunking starts, the clunking will go away if I apply the brakes. Going over bumps seems to activate the wobble/shake, but I haven't had a violent shaking like the first time since they replaced the brakes. I'm convinced now after reading the responses here that I should replace this steering damper, it does appear to be original as do the shocks. It has air bags in the coil springs, they were completely rotted out and I replaced those when I first got it and noticed they were shot. It was after I replaced these air bags and took it for a test drive that I had the violent shaking episode.

watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:20pm
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/kingpin.pdf

Tubing Sucks.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

it sounds like brakes still but in my one ton the death wobble occurs every time my steering stabilizer wears out bumps seem to contribute to it

I think I'm going to replace that steering damper next, could this make a clunking sound if it was bad? It's tight, you can't move it around.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

I think I'm going to replace that steering damper next, could this make a clunking sound if it was bad? It's tight, you can't move it around.

Once you take it off you will know if it is good or bad, no way to tell otherwise.
Tubing Sucks.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Bang. Peter is on point. I feel as if you have two different problems. The problem causing the less violent shaking and the noise then the problem causing the high speed wobble. The violent shake would be the steering dampner (if it has one looks like a shock attached to the axle and steering linkage or frame). They don't have to have a lot of miles on them to go bad. Mostly age is the problem here due to seals leaking. A tire can also cause death wobble and you will see no other symptoms of a bad tire.

I think your both right. seems like I have an issue with the steering damper. It does look original, The shocks should probably be swapped out too.

As far as the brakes sticking you may need to drive it get it hot and very quickly jack up the front end and spin the wheels. Have someone else in the vehicle apply the brakes while you try to spin each wheel then release the pedal and see how slow or fast the brakes release. This will either prove or disprove the theroy of the brakes sticking.

This is what I will do. It kind scares me to have someone in the vehicle with the engine running while it's up on jack stand with the wheels off. I bought a 15ton bottle jack and a set of 6 ton jack stands. Getting the front end of a 15,000 pound vehicle off the ground is a lot different that the front end of my Tundra! I don't really have a good place to do it either. Another reason I took it to the shop!

On to the noise. Most people can work on cars just fine but they cannot diagnose problems. Part hangers... which sounds like the shop you are working with.

Bingo! That's what I was thinking! I asked the guy at the shop I took it to if I was able to troubleshoot the problem if he would fix it? I kind of feel they don't want to see me or my classic coach again!

I have somewhat of an idea that this has some miles on it.

It's an 84, but it only has 51,000 mile on it. The PO said he used it a lot but never went on really long trips.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:57pm
Tim, I think if it was a king pin making the clunking it would do it all the time, not only after being driven for a while. And the clunking sound will go away when you apply the brake.

Now the wobble/shaking, I'm going to replace that steering damper and see if that helps. Probably needs to be replaced anyway if it's original.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 3:54pm
The steering damper when new will help mask a little looseness all through the system, if your drag link , tie rod ends steering box all have a slight bit of play then it shows itself quick when the stabilizer is bad, , also either too much toe in or out will do this, the rattle still sounds like caliper / pads
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 4:12pm
Check the tie rod ends. I've had trucks do the shaky thing and that was the problem especially on Ford
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 4:49pm
Do you by chance have chrome wheel covers?

Those f@#*!% can do some funny noises, especially if it's ever tagged a curb, even slightly. Creates some sort of harmonics, until the brakes are applied, changing harmonics.

Take those covers off and take it for a ride, I've delt with many covers that I'd say it is worth a try if you even have them. My last truck had some silicon behind it.

Got to jack it up on i beam to check the king pins. Use pry bar to move wheel, have partner watch king pin area.    Doesn't sound like your last shop was capable, or wanted to, to check them.

They ride in brass bushings, require grease too. 1984 huh? Your going to have play.

You are going to hate the bill for doing that job.

I'd find a cheaper fix to improve the wobble issue, like the stabaalizer. It is likely you have many parts with wear and combined, it's unlikely you are going to find ONE part to cure the issue.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 9:34pm

Do you by chance have chrome wheel covers?

Those f@#*!% can do some funny noises, especially if it's ever tagged a curb, even slightly. Creates some sort of harmonics, until the brakes are applied, changing harmonics.

Take those covers off and take it for a ride, I've delt with many covers that I'd say it is worth a try if you even have them. My last truck had some silicon behind it.

I do have Chrome Wheel covers. I had the original aluminium ones but I lost one on the way home from that shop because they dodn't put it on right. I went back and found it on the side of the highway but it was too bent up to use. I ended up buying a new set of chrome ones because I couldn't find a replacement anywhere. The new ones attach a lot better than the old style. I don't think that is where this clunking is coming from, but I will drive it without them anyway just to rule it out. The clunking was happening before the new wheel covers and while I had the old wheel covers. I heard a clicking sound when I first drove it and the PO said it was the one wheel cover, which I believe he was right, but that was more of a clicking sound, this clunking sound is different.

Got to jack it up on i beam to check the king pins. Use pry bar to move wheel, have partner watch king pin area.    Doesn't sound like your last shop was capable, or wanted to, to check them.

They ride in brass bushings, require grease too. 1984 huh? Your going to have play.

You are going to hate the bill for doing that job.

I'd find a cheaper fix to improve the wobble issue, like the stabaalizer. It is likely you have many parts with wear and combined, it's unlikely you are going to find ONE part to cure the issue.
[/QUOTE]

My friend down the road came down while I was soaking the stabilizer bolts with Kroil. He said I don't have king pins on this, I have ball joints. I'll post some pics.

I called Summit Racing and I think they have a steering stabilizer in stock that will work. It's for a P30 chassis. I'm going to remove the old one and take it to Summit with me. Summit has the shocks in stock too, they don't look too hard to replace as long as the bolts move. I've had them soaking in Kroil all day. That stabilizer definitely looks original.

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 10:21pm
Growing up we had a Coachman and I remember when hitting a bump like a railroad track the front end would shake the same way your describing the steering wheel would go back and forth violently until you basically came to a stop. But I was around 12 and I don't know what caused it but I will ask my dad.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 11:12pm
I just found another use for my OJ Prop Puller. Just used it along with a 3" 3/8" socket extension to pop the tapered bolt out that held the steering damper to the arm thing that steers (not sure of the name of this) it popped right out! The bolts came off really easy too. I was expecting it to be a lot more of a PITA! I'm on my way to Summit to pick up the new one.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 11:45pm
Randy if you get the chance to do the double stabilizer that they use on lifted mud trucks i wouldnt hesitate
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2012 at 3:23pm
went up to Summit last night to get the stabilizer and they didn't have it in stock! The guy I talked to on the phone told me to bring the old one to match it he didn't mention that they didn't have it! They're shipping it for free and I should have it by Wednesday.

They sold me a Bilstein one. I don't think they had the mud truck version peter

I'm pretty sure that this steering stabilizer is shot, and almost certainly causing the wobble/shaking but I don't think it's causing the clunking sound. That's got to be coming from the brakes. once I get the stabilizer back on it I'll take it for a ride and bring it back and jack it up and see if those things are dragging. I have a feeling I'm going to be buying more brake parts.

I can't believe that shop couldn't figure this out. Seems obvious to me now. Someone used the term "parts hangers" earlier, I think that's what we got here.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 10:41am
Randy I didn't read the whole post but I will later tonight. First problem with your brakes sticking is the rubber hose that connects to the calipers is held to the A frame by a small bracket. These old rubber hoses swell and the clamp restricts the flow of fluid. Under braking you apply enough force to get fluid to the caliper but there is no way it can return. I burned up a new set of brakes on my p30, when I asked a truck mechanic about it he new instantly what was wrong and he was correct. Replaced hoses never had another problem.   I do have a little brake rattle when they are not applied but I turn the radio up and it goes away.

As for the steering you should consider a new Bilstein steering stabilizer and possily a Steer Safe system and some new front shocks. I also put a much larger IDP Front roll bar. The P30 are called wiggle wagons and you need to spend a little money under the front to get them to handle reasonably.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 11:30am
This is what you need.

Guaranteed to fix your problem.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 12:39pm

Randy if you get the chance to do the double stabilizer that they use on lifted mud trucks i wouldnt hesitate

Those things are the berrys!!!!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 12:44pm
Definatly about the brake hoses Alan. I would only hope that as cheap as hoses are any half way decent shop would replace along with any caliper replacement unless the hose was known to be new.

I should have stated that all my reccomendations were made with all joints/tie rod ends in known good condition.

Randy I say forget that shop and rely on CCF.com!!! Winnebaggofan.com!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 12:57pm
There is a yahoo group called motorhomep-30. Everything you need to know about the p30 is there. Every one has the same issues and all the fixes are there, just read through the forum and ask questions there.

If I remember correctly the bell cranks are an issue with the p30 also. I easily spent $1500 on my front end getting it tightened up and it still drivers like a bakery delivery truck with a house bolted to it.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 2:19pm
Alan- the shop I took it to installed new rotors, pads, callipers, and the caliper supply hoses. I'll look those hoses over again and make sure that the clamps aren't restricting them somehow.

I took the old steering stabilizer off and I'm pretty sure that's what was causing the wobble/shake. I have a new Bilstein steering stabilizer ordered. I think I'll pick up a set of shocks for the front while I'm at it, they look original too and not hard to replace.

The clunking sound that I hear after driving it for awhile has to be in the brake system. Once I get the steering stabilizer installed, I'm going to take it for a ride and then bring it back and jack it up and see if those brakes are dragging.

I looked into that steer safe system, looks like a good thing to have but at over 400 I think I'll hold off on that for now. I don't plan on putting a whole lot of miles on her anyway. Just want it to be safe and drive somewhat respectably.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

The clunking sound that I hear after driving it for awhile has to be in the brake system. Once I get the steering stabilizer installed, I'm going to take it for a ride and then bring it back and jack it up and see if those brakes are dragging.

Sounds like the guys have you on a good path with the steering stabilizer regarding the wobble.

On the clunk though, I would check to see if the caliper has any play in it. In other words, when you apply brake force, that caliper wants to "roll" forward. It could be smacking into the steering knuckle or something. I had an old Buick with bad calliper mount bushings. It wasn't unsafe, but it would make a helluva rattle over bumps and things.

Also, keep in mind all of the steering components... which will see much different forces while under braking that not. This clunk when you hit the brakes could be tie rod ends, ball joints, stabilizer bar, drag links etc.

Play in these could be a little difficult to find by hand, because you're unlikely to generate the kind of force with your hands that they'll see rolling down the road... and stopping the vehicle.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 6:24pm
It's amazing how much more help I've got here on CCF than over on the classic Winnebago site!

Looking at shocks for the front. Summit racing has "pro-comp" ES-1000 for 29.99 ea. I read a lot about Bilstein being the preferred shock... but these are almost 90.00 a piece. Is it really worth three times as much for the Bilsteins or will the Pro-Comp be sufficient. Both are specifically for motorhomes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic