NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Heads...again

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 Heads...again
    Posted: December-11-2006 at 1:33pm
After reading all the old posts I'm still confused, can someone verify a few points for me. I am shopping for gt40 heads for my 81 351w

Do I have my facts straight?

1.GT40 heads have 63cc chamber.
2.GT40P heads have 59cc chambers.
3.Both are a bolt on using ALL existing valve train parts
4. Either casting will fit with my PCM exhaust manifolds, ei: angled plugs?

Also

Did the pro boss motor and the later GT40 motor have the same castings and which one Gt40 or Gt40P.

Hate to bring this all up again but I want to do this right the first time. Thanks.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
pmt2234 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmt2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 1:44pm
I have iron GT40P heads on my 1984 351, and the plugs clear the PCM headers by more than the stock heads.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 7:38pm
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes

All the PCM ProBoss and GT40 motors used the regular GT40 heads.

The GT40p's were debuted on the Explorer's and Mountaineers in '98. Theyre a slightly better design than the GT40's, as they flow a little better all around despite having smaller exhaust valves (intake valves are the same size). They also give a little jump in CR. I believe the GT40p's put me right around 9.5:1.

I had no problem dropping them right onto my motor- I reused the stock pushrods and rockers. The spark plug angle actually improves clearance to the exhaust manifolds.

I got the p's real cheap on ebay ($230). If I were to do it again, Id get them from Tristate Cylinder head for $550. Once I paid for a valve job and upgraded springs, I spent more than that.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 8:14pm
Posts like this are like putting out the "bat signal" for TRB.

Tim's boss: What's wrong Tim?
TRB: There's been a disturbance in the force. Someone mentioned swapping GT40's on CCFan...

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Posts like this are like putting out the "bat signal" for TRB.

Tim's boss: What's wrong Tim?
TRB: There's been a disturbance in the force. Someone mentioned swapping GT40's on CCFan...

Judging from his posts,he certainly has done his homework.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 10:19pm
Joel,

Tim's email isn't listed or I would have just asked him directly. He's the guy I was looking for anyway.

Tim, I looked at tristate today, $540 for the pair. You can find them on ebay for $2-300 plus shipping plus about $300 to have them gone though. tri state it is. Next question will be intake but that ones alittle easier.

Thanks for everything.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Joel,

Tim's email isn't listed or I would have just asked him directly. He's the guy I was looking for anyway.

I didn't mean it in the sense that someone would intentionally be looking for TRB but more in the sense of poking some fun at TRB for being so enthusiastic about GT40 heads and advanced engine work in general. Eh, oh well. Some things just don't go over right in text.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 11:42pm
We got it Joel. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2006 at 8:21am

Joel,

I didn't mean it in the sense that someone would intentionally be looking for TRB but more in the sense of poking some fun at TRB for being so enthusiastic about GT40 heads and advanced engine work in general. Eh, oh well. Some things just don't go over right in text.

Umm, My comment was meant to be humorous too, guess I better work on my delivery. Here's a couple smileys for ya
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2006 at 9:07am
I believe Jim in Houston may have been the first to try the p's on a CC- or at least the first to document it.

Alan, feel free to email me if youve got any other questions: TRBenj at gmail dot com. Ive also got an Edelbrock Performer looking for a home if youre interested.

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2006 at 1:56pm
I love Tim's enthusiasm. Always there when somebody has an easy or technical question. He's given out thousands of dollars worth of mechanical advice. I'm sort of "mechanically challenged" in some ways, but Tim and several other folks have tweaked my knowledge. Joel's right, Tim's always right there when you need him.

Ken
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2006 at 2:10pm
get a room...

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2006 at 2:28pm
LOL
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2006 at 2:33pm
That's no Brokeback Mountain talk, that's just keeping it real, Ight.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2006 at 8:48pm
TRB: What do you want for the Performer? Will it take my Holley ok? I have a 351W in the '80. Thanks. Gotta get me some of those heads someday as well, can't swing $500 right now.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2006 at 11:18pm
Jbear, the Performer would have fit your '80 nicely, but Im afraid that Alan has spoken for it already. If you look carefully you can find nice ones on ebay for equally short money.

With all the prize money your '80 has surely won by now, Im surprised you dont have a stockpile of engine parts in the garage. Im sure '79 would help with the install
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2006 at 11:58pm
Tim; No prise money yet but.......Last time 79 looked under my motorbox he just laughed. I bet I could get him up for the challenge tho. I'll look on e-bay altho I have never had any success getting anything there. Always afraid I am bidding on the wrong thing. Congrats to 81, he will be adding to an already sweet boat.

Opps......PLBC will be tellin' me to "get a room" next.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 8:49am
Sorry about that jbear, I've learned to make my mind up real fast with this hobby. Seems if there's something thats got your interest you need to jump on it while it's still available.

Just ordered my heads too, I was going to rework my trailer this winter but decided hopping up the motor would be much more fun.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 9:21am

Sorry about that jbear, I've learned to make my mind up real fast with this hobby. Seems if there's something thats got your interest you need to jump on it while it's still available.

Just ordered my heads too, I was going to rework my trailer this winter but decided hopping up the motor would be much more fun.

Alan, awesome. The boat is already fast- it'll be a monster now. I'd like to see this actually done in person so perhaps I'll invite myself over for the swap .
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 9:46am
Head swap party @ Alan's????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'm ashamed to say I still have beer left over from Halloween and may need some help disposing of it. I love the stuff but don't drink much without help.

Got a lot of prep to do so it may be a while

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 10:22am
I'll document the swap for a possible DIY...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 10:33am
I'll drink the beer. Once again a thread goes from boat talk to beer, I'll take the blame for this one.

Carry on.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 11:52am

I'll document the swap for a possible DIY...

I'm a shade tree mechanic at best, we could be setting ourselves up for some major critic.

My moto, if it don't fit get a bigger hammer. We should probably stick to drinking beers
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 12:14pm

I'm in... for swap'n some beers down .... Alan, good decision on the motor work.. The trailer can wait

Let me know when to show up and hold the hammer for ya hahaha..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

I'm in... for swap'n some beers down .... Alan, good decision on the motor work.. The trailer can wait

Let me know when to show up and hold the hammer for ya hahaha..

Moj'

Oh, and Alan, if you could do those wings and beef again that would be great. Don't forget the hot giardinera.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 12:58pm

OK, please tell me this is not as it sounds, Hollywood with lip balm and a wig, holding the nuts while everyone else screws em in?

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

OK, please tell me this is not as it sounds, Hollywood with lip balm and a wig, holding the nuts while everyone else screws em in?

CQ, I've gotta say this one is a bit of a stretch. They're not all winners.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 1:45pm
More like we all stand around drink some beers while Alan gets some head. Reminds me of college...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 1:57pm
Joel & Co.,

Speaking of Chicken Wings, I just came across $200 worth of gift certificates for Hooters. Gift from a vendor. Catch is I have to use them up before dec 31.

So what about getting the chicago area madmen together at Hooters in Downers Grove Some night between xmas and new years. $200 should get us a pretty good start and we'll just split the rest.

Anybody in? I can't drink that much beer or eat all those wings by myself
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic