NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 rebuild components

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 rebuild components
    Posted: February-20-2007 at 6:15pm
Here's a list of what's going into my 351. If anyone has any advice, good or bad I'd love to hear it now. I'll get the block back in 2 weeks and start a$$embling.

Boiled and magnaflux block
Block bored 30 over and deck honed.
Crank is good so it will just be polished.
Everything measured up good so standard size bearings will go back in.
Balance the rotating a$$embly.
Pistons will be Sealed Power forged.
Compression ratio with GT40p heads will be 9.3:1
Rings will be sealed power moly.
Main/rod bearings will be Clevite H series Trimetal.
Clevite cam bearings
Heads are new GT40p
Intake is edelbrock performer.
new Holley 600 carb
cam research camshaft specs
Rpm Range idle to 5000
Duration @.050      Intake 205
                      Exhaust 210
lift w 1.6 Rockers        .460
LSA:                      112

Stock rocker arms.
I haven't purchased a timing set or push rods yet.

Oh yeah and I just ordered a set of those shiny valve covers like jbear put on his boat this weekend so if it doesn't go it will atleast look good.

Like I said I'll be putting this together in about 2 weeks, Last short block I put together was about 25 years ago so I'm open for advice/tips. Thanks
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 6:51pm
get a true roller timing chain and gears and if it's been awhile sense you replace the circ pump get a new directional pump and don't forget a new oil pump. And some nice S/S intake bolts, what's the ignition system like, ditch the conversion kit and get a good Mallory unit and HO coil and a nice set of plug wires too if yours are old.

Alan I know you have done some one the motor last year cann't remember everything you did but your on the right track.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 7:11pm
Chris, I figured I would get a roller but just haven't gotten it ordered yet, I do have the new intake manifold bolt set. I have a new directional pump from SkiDim since my old one started leaking last fall.

Conversion kit is all I have for now, remember I had to replace the exhaust manifolds too so the cash is getting a little thin. I went with higher quality parts for the internals thinking I would upgrade the ignition when the next money tree blooms.

I found brand new PCM manifolds on ebay for $159 each from Chamberland in florida, Skidim lists them for $199 so I grabbed them while I could. Thanks
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 8:21pm
81..That all sounds good so far, did you get the sealed power rebuild kit or just the pistons, Are they flat tops?

79..is right a roller chain is a must, and a good oil pump, and a good set of push rods, ARP rod bolts, also think about a new fluidampr balancer. building it strong from the bottom up is the way to go, you can always add the bolt on parts later, when you get more money! GOOD LUCK
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 9:23pm
he should stick with whatever harmonic balancer he has and they should have used when they balanced the crank and rods, otherwise the balance will be off.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 10:23pm
MM,

here's the piston we ordered speedpro

I said sealed power above but they are speedpro. Another case of old age and CRS. I have 60CC heads so we had to find something that would keep us under 9.5:1 Cr. Also paid more for forged over Hypereutectic but I think that is money well spent.

I didn't order the kit, my rebuilder made recommendations and we looked up all the parts individually. Might have cost a little more than a kit but he was very adamant about certain products and brands that he had good experience with. Also had some negative things to say about a few brands to stay away from.
He builds some amazing race engines and does quite a few marine engines as well. His shop foreman is about 60 and the guys been building engines since God was a baby so the machine work is in good hands.

79, They did use the stock balancer and flywheel to balance with.

What do you guys consider to be a good oil pump and push rods? Should I go with a standard volume pump? I've seen arguements both ways here.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 8:20am
melling oil pumps are about as good as they get, high volume is fine just not high pressure. I was looking at .060" walled comp cam push rods, your not getting to crazy with your cam so stock wouldn't kill you, I'm going with the heavy duty .060" walled so if I ever want to get crazy with the cam I can, that's why I used .600 lift springs too.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 10:43am
One thing I'll add. Make sure piston to bore clearance was set properly in your block. A few of us on here (myself included) have learned this the hard way.

Marine engines need more clearance, and forged pistons require more clearance than cast and hypereutectic.

Also be careful when installing your pushrods and rockerarms. Since the valvetrain isn't adjustable you'll need to make sure that the base circle of the cam hasn't shifted at all and that your lifter preload is still correct.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 2:15pm
Awhite,

Yes thanks, I followed your situation with the clearances and discussed this with my machine shop. He is well versed in marine engines and had an answer for everything I asked regarding clearance and ring gap.

I'm not sure what you mean by base circle of the cam. Degreeing it?

Pushrod length is one of the reasons I haven't ordered them yet, I figure I will have to check length first based on lifter preload tolerances then order what I need. I do believe they will be stock length but need to check. Thanks
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 2:53pm
There is quite a bit of information in this thread that is WAY over my head. Is this english?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

There is quite a bit of information in this thread that is WAY over my head. Is this english?

I'm just faking it Joel It's a little beyond me too because I haven't played with engines in a while, but I'm a fast learner,ask a lot of questions and I'll try anything once(twice if I like it)
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 4:31pm
Base circle of the cam is the diameter of the cam where there is zero lift (valves closed).

When checking pushrod length you have to be on the base circle of the cam. The base circle of the cam is just one factor that effects pushrod length though. Most everything in the valvetrain has an impact. With all the changes you're making it is wise to check for the proper length before you purchase pushrods
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 5:01pm
You don't have that issue with stud mount rockers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 5:41pm
Awhite, I follow the thinking. Will do.

79, I get the hint stud
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 6:17pm
that's why I had the machine shop mill the boss' off and tap and drilled for studs and guide plates. Takes a little longer to adjust, just cann't torque them down and go like the factory ones.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 7:38pm
I kept the non adjustable valvetrain, but I wish I would have spent the extra $$$ to go with studs and guideplates. In the long run it would have saved a lot of ha$$les.

In the end my valvetrain geometry is right and I only needed one pushrod length. It took a lot of calculations (fancy spreadsheet), some semi-custom length pushrods, and shimming a few rocker pedestels.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 10:09pm
81 we use ARP push rods in all the motor we build. I agree ARP rod bolts are also the way to go as MM suggested. 79 is right about the melling oil pump I would also use high volume.

One question, with all the monye your already putting in the motor especially balancing and all why not go gear to gear for the timing set?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 7:21am
this is personal preference but i always stick with a good stock oil pump, more volume means more pressure, no reason to run high pressure on your bottem end, again....personal preference
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 7:41am
Awhite, I'm going to have to give this some more consideration. Why the variations in pushrod length from cyl to cyl? I would think if the heads or deck were shaved you would have to account for that but the pushrod size should be the same for all. I'm going to have to look up the tolerance for lifter preload(the Machine shop has my PCM manual right now) but I think it was .020.

BFN, Everyone, including PCM says just to use a roller chain, the gears are overkil for this application.

Eric, I've heard arguemenst both ways and was originally going stock, now I'm questioning that so again.   Awhite, what did you go with for a pump, standard or high volumne? Thanks all
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 8:14am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Awhite, I'm going to have to give this some more consideration. Why the variations in pushrod length from cyl to cyl? I would think if the heads or deck were shaved you would have to account for that but the pushrod size should be the same for all. I'm going to have to look up the tolerance for lifter preload(the Machine shop has my PCM manual right now) but I think it was .020.

Alan, I believe the most common spec Ive read is .020-.040" for proper lifter preload. It really *shouldnt* vary from cylinder to cylinder if the heads are milled properly, but it doesnt hurt to measure anyways. I only measured cyl #1 when I put the new heads on and shimmed all the rockers the same. I do have a little bit of clatter, so when I install my RR's this spring, Im going to measure them all.

As far as going to stud mount, they are clearly the superior system. Beyond being fully adjustable, they are stronger (studs come in 3/8" and 7/16", as opposed to the 5/16" bolts on the pedestal style). There are 2 drawbacks though: 1) cost and 2) valve cover clearance.

My machine shop quoted me $150 to have the heads tapped for studs. You'll also have to get new rockers now- which will set you back $250-350 (new) for a good set of aluminum rollers.

I believe the stud mounts also run into clearance problems with stock height valve covers. The pedestal mounts seem to require less clearance. You could use tall style valve covers, but I dont know if they will interfere with the PCM manifolds.

In my case, I decided it just wasnt worth the cost to go stud mounts on these heads. If I were doing a full rebuild, I might have gone all out (and may do so in the future). However, its easy enough to shim the rockers and get the right preload and the 5/16" bolts are plenty strong for our application. YMMV.
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 8:33am
Hey guys, I saw this on ebay. What do you think. I talked to the guy, and he said the reason that makes it 'reverse' are the seals. He also has a kit with a reverse cam shaft, but I doubt I will need a reverse cam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200080332234&rd=1,1
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 10:21am
Things that can drive slight differences in required pushrod length valve to valve are:
Slight differences in cam base circle lobe to lobe
Slight differences in valve seat depth
Slight differences in rocker pedestel height
Slight differences part to part in rocker geometry, valve stem length etc.

The liklihood of needing different length pushrods is slim but a possibility.

In my case I had to shim three of my rocker pedestels slightly to get back in the range of proper preload. It wasn't much, and I could probably have gotten away without the shims but I'm anal and wanted it right.

Shimming rocker pedestels must not be too uncommon because Ford Motorsports makes a rocker pedestel shim kit for their pedestel mount roller rockers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 11:44am
Awhite And Trbenj, Great discussion , thank you. I will measure each pushrod after a$$embling and then order pushrods and/or shims according to my findings.

I need to stick with the stock set up I have now because my wife keeps seeing boxes from Summit Racing showing up everyday.   She hasn't asked how much yet but to keep the peace she's heading to N Carolina for a week and a half without me.

New engine $2000, vacation for the wife $2000, a happy marriage PRICELESS
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 11:57am
Allan I think that 2k mark is going to grow. I have half that in a set of heads without the push rods.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Awhite And Trbenj, Great discussion , thank you. I will measure each pushrod after a$$embling and then order pushrods and/or shims according to my findings.

Alan, it wouldnt hurt to have the shims handy either way- its only $8.88 from summit for the Ford Racing Kit.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 6:32pm
just wondering 81 why did you have the motor balanced, you will never spin it over 6 grand.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 6:33pm
If it's balanced it will spin 6K if he want's too, run mine at 5500 all day long with no issue other than the trips to the pump to fill up.

Alan your going to need a little prop work too otherwise you'll only be able to open it up 3/4 of the way with all of the mods you are making. Glad I've got a new set of heads and exhaust logs to stay ahead of you guys, Steve and I won't be able to run away from guys as easily as we did last year, hell where's stang been hiding out?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

just wondering 81 why did you have the motor balanced, you will never spin it over 6 grand.

I just couldn't see spending the money on a new motor without balancing it. The new forged pistons are a different weight than the stock cast ones and the rebuilder strongly suggested it.   Basicly these motors don't turn a lot of rpms but they turn 4000 rpm regularly and if you do a lot of footing can stay there for a while. I just want this thing to be bulletproof and I don't want to be holding my breath when I decide to nail it and scream down the river. It's probably an over cautious approach but I like to go fast and this gives me a little more confidence if I decide to hold the throttle down longer than I should.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Alan your going to need a little prop work too otherwise you'll only be able to open it up 3/4 of the way with all of the mods you are making.

I talked to Bill Weeks at Acme and he said we should get the boat out with the mods and run it,then let him know what it's turning and he'll make some suggestions. The old motor was turning at 4800 with the 540 prop, I hope we can add some cup and keep the rpm managable without having to go to a different prop.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:02pm
your not going to be able to add enough cup to it most likely, if your already turning 4800 then your going to see about 6k easy. I'm not sold on Bill too much, talked to him a bunch before I got my 470 he told me to use the 540 and I said no way, I pegged the tach with the federal prop I had reworked to a 13 x 14 and he wanted me to go with a 12.5 x 13 ACME 540.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic