NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 31>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 5:18pm
I agree that your overthinking this, if you use the aluminum just screw it in with a reasonable amount of wood screws, into the the coosa with fiberglass on both sides they are never coming out. Put a little 5200 between it the angle and the fiberglass and they are definitely never coming out. If they did somehow strip out you then fill the holes with epoxy and redo... not the end of the world. My wrist still hurts from trying to put woodscrews through my glass covered coosa floor.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 5:19pm
well see if the epoxy sticks to aluminum if it does then glassing in strips of plate stock isn't an issue, lay it up, place a pre drilled angle stock, mark the holes and pilot drill and tap into the strip stock or use self taping screws and just pilot drill through the aluminum, the cross supports will be strong enough, if your worried about the thichness being strong enough add pieces to the outside the secondary saving the cavity space for the exhaust before you glass the strip stock aluminum.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 5:27pm
Perfect- I think Ive got a plan. Thanks guys!
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 7:05pm
Hey there Tim,
Gary and I were looking at you pictures Saturday and were wondering what the gap seperating your main stringers is. Ours are both 21" but your appears wider.
bj
hasbeenskier
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 7:17pm
Tim,

As we discussed on Saturday if you want to go this route put an extra piece of coosa on the secondary on the outside(gunnel facing) where every you plan on putting the aluminum angle on the (bilge side) and the holes that you would drill into. Do the T-nuts like i described so you can bolt the angle onto the stringer. I have some extra coosa not sure on thickness but i do have some if you need it. I just have to ask my father if he thinks he has any need for it lol.
Let me know
-Phil
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 7:49pm
Good catch, BJ

The main stringers are spaced at 26.5" (inside). We are modifying a newer Ski Nautique "tabbed" cradle. This allowed us a simple stringer shape (no notches for through bolting the mounts).

Here's a pic of Kapla's '92 Ski Nautique cradle for reference:

Obviously the tab locations need to change for the big block.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 8:25pm
Phil, thanks again for the suggestion! I think we're good on material- if it comes down to it, I can use several small pieces for support rather than running full 4' pieces. I dont think that would compromise the strength enough to matter for the purposes of supporting the panel.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 12:02am
Epoxy will bond al. it's done on aircraft floor boards all the time. PAA al is best, but at least get a water break free surface with scotch brite and apply the epoxy to both surfaces.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 1:10am
I would think that some holes in the aluminum angle for the epoxy to bond through would also help secure it.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 10:18am
thanks, noted and will order
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 11:47pm
We've been plugging along, slowly but surely- an update is a bit overdue, I suppose. Over the last few weeks, we have:

-removed the engine mounting tabs from the cradle. These need to be repositioned for the 454.

-covered the front bulkheads in cloth (both sides):

-cut and shaped all of the rear ribs:

The last bulkhead that will act as the front of the engine compartment has also been cut and glassed a bit. The doubled up ribs are also in the process of being laminated together. The front lifting ring backer is in process as well.

Today we test fit the cradle. We marked the locations where the new tabs will be located, as well as where the 2 halves should be welded back together. Hopefully the measurements we took before tearing everything apart were accurate!

Almost all of the parts orders have been placed... just one more misc. order from Race City Marine to finalize. A boatload of hardware and other goodies from Mcmaster showed up last week... the air vent hose (flexible PVC) looks pretty trick.

Pretty soon we'll be glassing stuff down and it will start to look like a boat again instead of a shell! Id like to see an initial water test by Memorial Day, but Im sure we will be cutting it close.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 11:52pm
Tim,
I see you're still keeping a good stock of "weights"!!

Look'n good. I've been wondering where you've been and what you've been doing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2010 at 12:46am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I figured he was "itching" to get out boating
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2010 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I figured he was "itching" to get out boating

Gary,
All last week hardly anything from him. I think one post and that was to work me over about setting dwell with the point gap!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2010 at 11:35am
and to think of the times i said to myself, if only i could cut this cradle to make it easier to ship wtf....lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 11:39pm
Well, we're still chipping away- again Im overdue for an update. Over the past few weeks we shaped, bedded and glassed the front lift ring backer:

Before we could finish installing the starboard ribs, we had to get the blower pipe installed. Here's the test fit:

Then we glassed in the remaining ribs. Only the front rib on each side hasnt been glassed down. The rearmost rib, the 4th from the rear and the frontmost rib on each side was bedded, filleted and glassed with 2/4/8/biax. This closely mimicked the factory rib layout. The remaining ribs were simply glassed with 2/4/8. The front ribs and 4th from the rear are doubled up, as this is where the joints in the floor fall.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 12:28pm
Looking good Tim and Gregg.. unbelievably time consuming and expensive.. but looking good. If I was able to be in the neighborhood a bit longer over the weekend I would have loved to see the progress first hand...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 12:41pm
Thanks Joe. Glad someone commented here- I was starting to feel like I was talking to myself! It would have been fun to show you our progress first hand, but beer/boating/skiing takes priority.

Next up will be:
-repair cradle and weld on new tabs
-cut holes in bulkheads for vents lines and batt box
-install bulkheads
-build and install transom pieces

Once the bulkeads are in, the plan is to put the boat back on the trailer so we can pull it outside and finish grinding the walls.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 12:47pm
Tim- the progress looks great. What would you guess the total man hours are going to be on the job by the time you're done?
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Thanks Joe. Glad someone commented here- I was starting to feel like I was talking to myself! .

We're all speechless!!!

Keep up the good work and the pictures. I'm getting back on the Hurricane for some bottom paint and then we'll flip it back over in a couple weeks so I'll update that project as well.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 3:09pm
Tim keep up the good work, if you need any help on either project boat or cottage let me know. I will try and figure out schedule.

We finally got the approval from the town to start cutting trees down and start transplanting some of the bushes along the driveway where the new addition to the property is going to house our huge garage 38ft wide by 30ft deep. 11ft ceilings with apartment up top.

You were MIA 2 weekends ago or something i was trying to call you and you weren't on here till mid week last week.

I have June 5th weekend off and looking to do some skiing or whatever.

-Phil
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 3:44pm
Ha, thanks Alan. We're going to miss our Memorial Day launch date, but we'll keep plugging away and updating here. Hopefully if someone sees something amiss, they'll let me know!

Eric, I made the mistake of tallying the costs... no way am I even going to try and guesstimate the hours. Considering there are 15 layers of glass per main stringer (x2), 8 per secondary (x2), and 14-16 per rib (x16), theres a lot of man hours involved in just glassing things down. That doesnt include all the time making wood templates, cutting the parts out of coosa, shaping them, laminating things together, preglassing the bulkheads, bedding, filleting, grinding, vacuuming, measuring, leveling, cleaning up, etc. And of course it doesnt count the planning either. Lets just say "alot".

Phil, I didnt realize you had tried to touch base- between my real job and all the projects I have going on (cottage, lifts, BFN, etc) I spend a lot of time "off the grid". Im especially bad about answering my phone and returning calls- ask anyone! We have a few things planned for the weekend of the 5th, so Im doubtful if I will be able to commit to anything... but we'll keep trying. Good deal on the garage- save me a space, will ya?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 12:44am
We're making progress. This weekend we cut holes in the bulkheads for the batt box, vent holes and cable conduit. Then we test fit the vent lines.

Yesterday we bedded two bulkheads and tacked the front most one in place.

Today, the front one got glassed down, and the other 2 got filleted.

We also prepped the battery box and rough cut the rear floor pieces. Theyre also getting a layer of glass on the bottom.

The goal is to get the bulkheads in by the end of the weekend. There are a lot left (6) so its a tall order- but we'll give it hell.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 12:52am
Tim, inquiring minds want to know...will this be the one at Green Lake?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 12:58am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Tim, inquiring minds want to know...will this be the one at Green Lake?

if it ain't one of the boats he brings then I got a pretty good chance of staying for free.....
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 1:03am
Sounds like a little ol' wager was made. Care to fill us in?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 2:37am
It is all on here somewhere.. you know just trying to drum up a little excitement for the event.. Me and Benjamin were trying to bait the Doc into bringing Karen's boat out for GL.. Loser pays for all the campsites down in the Shangri-la portion of the Green Lake Campground for the duration of the event. I don't think the Doc is going to bite but you never know... Reidp isn't allowed to play as his camping bill for the weekend is too extreme.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 9:36am
Tim,
I just want you to know I'm following the progress and it's looking great. I'm looking forward to seeing it at GL.

Does this wager include how much of the work needs to be completed by the GL weekend?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 11:16am
Thanks Pete.

Steve, the intention is to bring the BFN to GL. We're making good progress, so we'd have to hit a major roadblock for that not to happen. Just a warning though- the boat won't look much different from last year... save for the new carpet, cosmetics have been shelved until next year (or beyond). Its no "best of show", thats for sure. If I can coax a few more mph out of it though, hopefully Mr. Fennessy will be paying for my lodging!
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 11:57pm
Tim....I've enjoyed seeing the work as well and am looking forward to a look at the project in person when GL rolls around.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 31>
  Share Topic