NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 17>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 2:39am
Originally posted by tuna_tugger tuna_tugger wrote:

With a large enough equalizer between the two tanks you will only need one fill point. Also it will keep the boat in ballance. With tanks of that shape you won't be able to put a fuel gague in them so a flow meter on your plotter or sounder will be the only way you will know how much fuel you have burned. My experance is the simpler you can keep it the better off you are. What are the tanks made of? If they are allum. you should either epoxy coat them or pay special attention on how you mount them or they will corrode. You may think they will be sealed in but you will always have condensation.

Shamrocks don't use an equalizer or gauges, they have two fillers,two vents and trim tabs to balance the boat.One large fuel filter/separator and manual fuel tank selectors mounted on the transom. You use a calibrated stick to check level,can't get any simpler than that.My Dad ran his for 20 years in the Keys,other than tune ups and 3 sets of exhaust manifolds and risers,it never needed a thing.

Google coal tar epoxy for a coating.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 9:32am
probably a good idea to put the vent lines forward and the air caps out the side, when you nail it if out back they will drizzle fuel. but then at times if on the sides the venturi effect kicks in.

Gary, of the 2 Shamrocks last summer, neither boat had a gas gauge, I thought that was very odd
"the things you own will start to own you"
tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 2:24pm
I definatly agree the tanks need to be vented.

Gary that is an option. I'm sure there are other options also. Maybe some one else out there has another idea.
Don Liberman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 4:46pm
John, You will need a check valve on the fuel pick up to be CG approved also grounding on both tanks.
Don Liberman
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2010 at 2:06am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Gary, of the 2 Shamrocks last summer, neither boat had a gas gauge, I thought that was very odd

You run her on one tank Eric,when it quits you head back
I have trouble with my gauge all the time,one of these days I'm really going to look into it.I have been using a stick for years graduated in 5 gallon increments.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
firefight-n View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2010 at 9:59pm
lemme try to post these again lol
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2010 at 10:05pm

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2010 at 10:14pm

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2010 at 11:30pm
Looking good Rich. I got the bulk heads cut for mine. I will install them later in the week. Here are a few pictures of them. I used 4LB NIDA-Core foam for them. The stuff is easy to work with but it is a mess.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 9:06pm
just curious john, why are they different heights? or will they end up being the same height?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by firefight-n firefight-n wrote:

just curious john, why are they different heights? or will they end up being the same height?

Rich,
I feel it's due to scribbing the bottom shape. Once it's to the point needed, then the top gets trimmed. It's a way to get the proper shape without having to make cardboard patterns.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 11:27pm
i gotcha i figured that, just didnt know if john planned on raising anything or doing something different
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Rich,
I feel it's due to scribbing the bottom shape. Once it's to the point needed, then the top gets trimmed. It's a way to get the proper shape without having to make cardboard patterns.

You are correct. It just makes life eaiser if I mess up I have room to correct. Once I glass the bottom and sides of them in I will cut the top and cap it with glass.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 11:03am
Well yesterday I decided to work on my center console since the weather here in florida is COLD I can't do any glass work. I striiped all the wood and started grinding all the gel coat out. I was able to get most of it done. Now I have to fill all the holes and add a little to the top for my electronics. I also cut the caps on my newly installed stringers. This was a very nerving job, but had to be done. I am going to fill the voids with NIDA-BOND transome compound. Each cavity is 4.5 feet in lenght and will allow me to install the motor and tranny mounts. Here are a few pics, I will be filling them today so more pics will be added.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 6:35pm
I filled the cavities today. It went well. I have a few videos of the process that I will post later tonight.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 12:33am
This is a edited version of the video. The real one was to long and boring..

Nida-Bond Stringer Pour
worththewake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 9:51am
Was just watching video - If that were me pouring it would have missed the stringer and made a total mess. Very nice work! Thanks for taking the time to document your restoration so well for all of us!
Scott
1980 Fish Nautique - Twin V6 Crusaders
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 7:06pm
Steady hands dude!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 10:44pm
looking good John. The reward for all of your hard work will be worth it.
Don Liberman
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 8:25pm
hey bud what kinda paint did u end up getting?
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 10:26pm
Yesterday and today I was able to get the bigger bulkheads installed. I used one layer of chop then a layer of 1708 biax then another layer of chop. After all that then I used 1708 biax to tab them to the bigger stringers. They came out great.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2010 at 9:21pm
lookin good bud... I cut and laid the forward floor today and poured alot of the foam through the boat voids, still have so much to do, seems like its never gonna end! hey im gonna be headed down to WPB on Friday late morning (new yrs eve), do you want me to bring the rest of the coal tar epoxy i have?
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2010 at 12:02am

lookin good bud... I cut and laid the forward floor today and poured alot of the foam through the boat voids, still have so much to do, seems like its never gonna end! hey im gonna be headed down to WPB on Friday late morning (new yrs eve), do you want me to bring the rest of the coal tar epoxy i have?

Man, you are moving good. I had a few issues with the boat yesterday and today. The warehouse I am in, the lady that rents on the backside complained to the landloard that she can't breath from the fumes. It's been a big mess the last two days with her. I ended up today having to move the boat to my main shop. Now I have to reset it back up and get going on it. About the coal tar, yes I still need it. Give me a call when you are headed this way and I can meet you at the 95 exit. Have a great holiday!!!

John
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2010 at 10:38pm
sounds good bud.. Hope your Christmas went real well! tty soon
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2010 at 10:54pm
I'm courious if there is a plan if water gets into the areas between the bulkheads? I can't believe the progress your making,quite the engineering project and looking good.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm courious if there is a plan if water gets into the areas between the bulkheads? I can't believe the progress your making,quite the engineering project and looking good.

Hey Gary, yes there is. I will install all the structural componets first then go back and cut all the drain holes and do all the plumbing.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2010 at 9:19pm
Need some advice... In the front of my boat there are two vents that where plumbed into the bildge area. Do I really need those if I keep the ones on the side of the console and put a blower in the bildge? I really don't want to cut holes in the bulkheads for a 3 inch vent that is not needed.

John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2010 at 9:45pm
I believe the two in the front are there to force air into the engine compartment for the carbonator when you are under way. The carb. needs 600 CFM when you are at full throttle. The two on the side of the console just let excess air out when you are running. The blowers suck air out of the engine compartment when you are going slow and air is sucked in through the vents in the side of the console. My feeling is that if you eliminate the two in the front you will starve the carb. when running unless you cut air intakes into the front of the console.
Don Liberman
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 9:49pm
Yesterday and today I was able to glass the bulkhead wings in. There is not much to say just a few pictures. I am getting close to installing the gas tanks and putting the deck on.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 10:47pm
Well I got the access holes cut in the bilge stringers. I decided to make them a little bit bigger then I originally was going to because I remembered I have to run blower vents in them. They are fared in but still need to be glassed over the main stringer gap. This will allow water to flow directly into the bilge. I had some extra time so i also filled the gab between the two stringers in the fish box area.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 17>
  Share Topic