NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 22>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 12:59pm
Greg, are you doing the assembling? my mouth is watering.....i havnt done one in a while, did he skim the heads? i would try to find out the comp ratio from your rebuilder, did he open up the heads....come on man we need some details
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 1:27pm
skim the heads=surfacing? I don't think he needed to but will ask.

open up the heads=port and polish? No, they're rebuilt with new components but otherwise they're stock. I suppose that could still be done; the guy I met yesterday does that, but I didn't ask how much and he didn't bring it up.
And yes, I'm doing the assembling. The machinist matched up the important parts. I still need a few things like a ring spreader and a ring compressor, but I think I'm ready.

My mouth is watering too. I'm having the new strainer welded to my new oil pump and pick that up today, and then the fun starts!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 1:53pm
Relatively cheap tools to pick up, but most importantly what kind of rings do you have and have they been filed if file fit? Measured if not? Getting the ring gaps and piston to wall clearance right is where your non marine machinist or you need to really be on your game find these numbers out and post them...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 2:20am
Don't forget that when using hypereutectic pistons, the top ring gap needs to be wider than that of just plain cast pistons. The reason for this is that hypereutectic pistons hold more heat in the head of the piston and make the rings expand to the point of closing a stock gap setting. Check with your piston manufacturer for the spec. A Keith Black HU piston in the 350 Chevy requires a ring gap of approx. .028 as apposed to the stock .014. This is very very important. Tight ring gaps can break the heads off your pistons.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 2:49pm
OK guys, it looks like I have a problem(quit laughing Chris ).

I got my PCM engine manual...it may turn out to be the best $42 of this project. In the V-block section, the spec sheet is laid out for the 305, the 350, and the 454. All of my specs are good until I look to the bottom and see a block of #'s that reads "specifications peculiar to the 454 4-bolt engine". My piston clearance is set to be .0025   Production for the 2-bolt is .0014-.0024 so that's only .0001 off. The 4-bolt spec is .0046-.0056 and I have the 4-bolt. Thoughts?

My rings are hastings, measure fit and are supposed to be .017 but I haven't checked them yet. My pistons are speed pro and their site says that their pistons use standard gaps. I guess my parts guy has to call their tech line and the machine shop is slammed today, so I won't be able to sit down with him till monday.

What would the factory piston material have been? My pistons were ordered for a 30 over marine application...   More reading and asking.

1988 BFN-sold

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 4:11pm
Greg, as far as piston clearance goes, stick with what the piston manufacturer recommends. If your clearance is within the range of what Sped Pro recommends, you are good. My guess is the reason for the larger clearance for the 4-bolt is that it probably came with forged pistons. Forged pistons normally require a larger clearance because they expand more. Hypereutectic pistons typically use clearances (piston to bore) that are near stock. Also, remember that piston clearance is measured at the piston skirt.

Former boats:
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 4:28pm
Too tight me thinks.
The site talks about standard ring gaps but they dont talk about marine applications.

Keith Black hyper pistons for a 454 would specify a .0035-0050 piston to wall and a ring end gap of .034 for marine use. Speed pro pistons maybe different but I have never seen a published table for speed pro or sealed power pistons for marine use, a call is in order. Either way unless you are using the original pistons and rings bought from PCM I wouldnt put too much stock in the clearances in the PCM manual.

How do you know your clearance is .025 now, who measured?

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 6:05pm
Joe, the Keith Black pistons may require more ring gap clearance because of the top ring being closer to the top of the piston (more heat there). I agree that the piston clearance does sound a little tight though for a marine engine.

Greg, did you specify to Speed Pro that you are using this engine for marine use when you got your piston clearance?

Former boats:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 6:33pm
I just looked at Keith Black's clearance chart and sure enough for a bore of >4.100 the piston clearance for marine use is .0035-.005". Greg I know you don't have Keith Black pistons but here's the reasoning behind using greater clearances in a marine engine. As we all know, pistons expand as the engine gets up to operating temperature. In an automotive engine the block expands as well meaning that the cylinder diameter grows slight to accommodate the growing piston. Since the same coolant is constantly
re-circulating, the expansion of the metal in the auto block is more stable and more accommodating. Now for the marine block...the pistons grow about the same as the auto ones. But the block (if it's raw water cooled) does not expand as much due to the block being cooled first with the much cooler water from the lake. The expansion of the block is much less stable and much less predictable in the marine engine so more clearance is generally needed. Hope this explanation helps a bit. Brian

Former boats:
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

Joe, the Keith Black pistons may require more ring gap clearance because of the top ring being closer to the top of the piston (more heat there). I agree that the piston clearance does sound a little tight though for a marine engine.

Greg, did you specify to Speed Pro that you are using this engine for marine use when you got your piston clearance?

I agree the speed pro piston may require less end gap than the keith black due to ring location, as well the piston to wall clearance may be different as well (although less so because the material is basically the same) however I was making the point that the clearances provided by those manufacturers that publish specs for both marine and auto are typically different. If you can only find auto specs for speed pro you need to call and ask for marine and they should be different. If they tell you they are the same as automotive I would be leary of the information.

In addition to the cooling differences mentioned above marine engines are typically loaded higher and at longer durations than automotive engines as well, which also generates greater piston temperatures.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

.....clearances provided by those manufacturers that publish specs for both marine and auto are typically different. If you can only find auto specs for speed pro you need to call and ask for marine and they should be different. If they tell you they are the same as automotive I would be leary of the information.

In addition to the cooling differences mentioned above marine engines are typically loaded higher and at longer durations than automotive engines as well, which also generates greater piston temperatures.

I totally agree!

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 7:52pm
You guys are great!
Here's where we stand. I talked to my machinist(Sherman) and I'll try to put this together where it makes sense. The question about piston clearance opened him up a little. It turns out that he is a modest man and has years of marine experience. He did the machine work for a pro marine rebuilder who just retired. They were selling my repower for $7500 per for years until recently. Anyway, he said that cast pistons would swell a good bit more than my hypereutectic ones and that the older pistons were made 'sloppier' and thus the larger measurements in the older manuals.

My take on the whole thing is that he meant it to be as close to idiot proof as he could get for me. I told him up front that I wanted to learn, and I asked him if he'd have the patience for questions. He really is a nice guy.

The actual clearance hasn't been measured. He said he did the machine work to achieve .0025 The minimum for these pistons is .0015   I do agree that a call to speed pro is in order, but it looks like my parts guy has to call monday.

My feel is that he halfway likes me and he wants to come by for dinner and to check my progress. He also offered to let me fire it on his stand because of the lake level...and I didn't ask. My gut feel is that I'm in good shape.

More thoughts?
1988 BFN-sold

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 8:28pm
Greg, making friends with your machinist guy is all well and good but you need to remember that you are doing business with him. Don't let him guide you into doing something that contradicts what the manufacturer recommends. I'm not saying he will intentionally lead you astray. Just be careful. If you want to make a new friend, go ahead. But if Speed Pro tells you that you need more clearance....by all means take the block back and get him to hone it more. Then after your motor is together and you've broken it in and everything is good invite the man over for a few beers and talk about skiing.

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 9:10pm
Brian, I will make the call to speed pro, and I do appreciate your concern about me screwing up. I haven't started anything yet and won't till we're all happy. Right now, the block is on the stand and the rest is still bagged from the shop or on order.

I'm not sure if Sherman will ever want to go skiing, though he does want to see my boat. It's been an all business relationship for what it's worth. That changed a little on new year's eve when I had a check and my bank was closed, but that's another story in itself. Long and short of it...he vouched for my check. As with dealing with anyone(unless they just rub the wrong way), I've gotten to know him over my visits, and if he wants anything less than the best for me I'll have to relearn some things about life at almost 40?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 9:32pm
Sounds good Greg. I wish you all the luck in the world with your project. It's going to make you a very proud man soon. Just take it slow when going together with it and if something doesn't look right, stop and get help. Take care...talk to ya later.

Brian

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 10:07pm
I hope you're right Brian and I really appreciate your thoughts...Joe, Eric, Tim, Chris, Eddie, Jim, and everyone else. And Keith just for having this site here! We shall see...

At the very worst, this'll be a good say on what not to do?!!?   LMAO
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2008 at 10:55am
is that .0025 or .025?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2008 at 11:03am
I'm curious and have a related question on clearances. I have done several flat head rebuilds but have always relied on the shop doing the machining to handle the bore clearance. I have fitted rings but with the old marine engines there is only one spec on ring gaps. Living in the Midwest closed cooling systems are rare. Are marine engines with the closed cooling built with automotive clearance specs?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2008 at 11:16am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

is that .0025 or .025?

.0025 and my comp is supposed to be 9:1
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2008 at 11:27am
Here's a side note for 87 and others. I had some difficulty finding the oil pump pickup strainer. It had to come from GM and they don't have pictures. The oil pan set-up...and maybe the whole engine is from the GM P30 chassis.
Thanks Woody(secc)!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2008 at 11:31am
your piston clearance is 2 and a half thousandths? or twenty five thousandths?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2008 at 11:36am
2 and a half
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2008 at 12:35pm
Ben(the chevy guy) is going to call speed-pro for me tomorrow. He had a good bit to say about the hypereutectic pistons not expanding as much as cast or forged. He also said the top ring gap is not an issue with speed pro. We'll see what the factory has to say. For now, I'm cleaning parts and hoping I don't have to drag the block back to the shop.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2008 at 1:25pm

are you sure the spec isnt 15 to 25 thousandths? on piston to wall clearance?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2008 at 1:31pm
i use a gram scale to weigh every thing, especially the pistons and rods and will grind either the squirts or the casting lines on the rods, i try to get them on the money as for the weight, it is just a little extra touch to balance out the engine, most of the time all the parts are pretty close on the weight. i dont do every engine like this. if you do have access to a scale and want to spend the time it might be worth it, alot of guy's will say it doesnt make a difference but again they are the ones that always have the problems after the fact. As assemble i have a kd tool that will prime the pump and once the bottem end is done and right before firing i prime and keep priming, you can make one with a long screwdriver which you would cut the handle and weld a socket to the flat head end, the socket needs to slide over the oil pump driveshaft and it keeps it from spinning uneven, i will drive this with a cordless drill.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2008 at 1:40pm

I must be losing something in translation on the 2 and a half vs. 25 thing. Eric, call me if you want-770-536-2328. Sherman checked the rods and said they were a little nicer than standard and had harder bolts than normal...said to torque to 50 instead of 45lbs. I paid to have it balanced; the crank is on my receipt, and I'll check the rods.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2008 at 4:09pm
OK, Ben talked to speed pro, and they said to add a thousandth to the auto spec and the top ring is the same gap. Auto clearance is .0015 and mine is .0025 or 25 thousandths. Ben also said he always checks these things when a block gets back to him, but he says Sherman is always on. Here I go then!

Eric, sorry I wasn't reading it properly.

1988 BFN-sold

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2008 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I must be losing something in translation on the 2 and a half vs. 25 thing. Eric, call me if you want-770-536-2328. Sherman checked the rods and said they were a little nicer than standard and had harder bolts than normal...said to torque to 50 instead of 45lbs. I paid to have it balanced; the crank is on my receipt, and I'll check the rods.

The piston clearance would indeed be .0025" or 25 ten-thousandths. .025" (25 thousandths) is way way way too lose for piston clearance in just about any engine. An engine that is worn completely out to the point of needing oil squirted into the spark plug holes in order to build compression would have something like ~.010. Maybe a likely more or a little less. Now I'm not saying that .0025" is the clearance he need to run, He still needs to check with Speed Pro. But if his clearance should be more, it's not more than .001" to .002" more. Hope this helps to clarify, Brian

Former boats:
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2008 at 4:21pm
25/1000 = .025

2.5/1000 = .0025

Unless Ive completely lost it, I think you had it right when you said 2 and a half thousandths (.0025).

Edit: Brian, you beat me to it. 25 ten thousandths would also be correct.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2008 at 4:27pm
Math isn't my weakest suit, but there does seem to be a machinist's lingo. However a body wants to say it, my clearance is .0025.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 22>
  Share Topic