Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 17>
Author
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 12:53am
Ship Shape anyone......
Today was a great days work on the boat. I got the PVC drain in and a few other little things that needed to to done. The real reason why the day was great was John Greviskis from Ship Shape TV come up to my shop to check out the progress on the Fish Nautique Restoration project. He is an unbelievably nice Man. Gave me some great advice and ideas.

Me and John Greviskis

(Left to Right Shawn, Me, Brian and John Greviskis)

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2011 at 3:00am
Today Shawn and I had a chance to get the gas tanks coated with the coal tar epoxy that I got from Rich (firefightn).Thank you again Rich for dropping that off to me. It took only a half gallon to do two thick coats on the tanks. We also installed the bottom to the fish box.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2011 at 11:36am
John, I've been following this thread off and on and its been fun watching. As a guy who works composites in the aviation industry and messes with the stuff every day can I give you a helpful tip? When you cut through the ribs for whatever reason, stay away from using 90 degree angles. You'll have a concentrated stress point at the corner which will be the first place a crack will want to start, and they are a royal pain in the a$$ to lay fiberglass too. Rounding your corners will relieve the stress point and make it an easier contour for you to lay up the glass. Keep up the great work and keep the pictures coming. We're all cheering for you!

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2011 at 2:31pm
John,
Did the coal tar call for and if so did you do a pretreat etch on the aluminum?

I too have been following the rebuild with interest. Still looking great!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2011 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Did the coal tar call for and if so did you do a pretreat etch on the aluminum?

I too have been following the rebuild with interest. Still looking great!!!

Yes I did, and yes it did. I used an Alum acid etch. It was easy to do. Wipe it on let it sit till Alum was whiteish and wipe it off and it was ready to go.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2011 at 2:05am
I had a few hours today to work on the boat so I finished up the floor for the fish box. The floor is made out of 1/2" Nida Core with two layers of biax on the bottom and two layers of biax on top. After the two layers on top then I added another layer of mat. When all was dry I drilled eight one inch holes in the floor for the foam to be poured. It took 48oz of two part FiberGlass Florida foam to fill the void under the new floor. Enjoy the pics. I am really close to getting the deck going.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2011 at 6:57pm
Today we where able to install all the deck landings. These where Prisma beams so they are soooooo easy to install. Just wet the wall with resin and wetout the the beam, slap it on the wall and brush all the air bubbles out. It took all of 10 mins to do these. While these where setting up we ran the water line for the H2O tank and got it set in place. Now all we have to do is pour the foam to lock it in. We also got the drains for the storage compartments drilled. Still have to do a little bit of chopping for the drains and other little things. Enjoy the pictures....

tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2011 at 7:05pm
Looking fantastic....I'm excited for you!!!!!
Don Liberman
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 12:24am
Looks awsome! you guys are doing a fine job. great thred!
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 8:48pm
All ahead full on the deck......
Today my buddies Brian and Rob helped me bust butt on the deck templates. I grabbed five, half inch sheets of MDF this morning around 9am. We where able to finish able 95% of the deck templates by 2:45pm. The stringer system is perfect. All the pieces of deck where level and all landed where I planned them to. I still have to mark where the hatches will go and make the deck template for the fish box. The console is there just for reference reasons. Hope to start the actual deck next week. There is alot more pictures on the photo gallery link. Enjoy the Pictures...

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 10:40pm
John, By the looks of it the old liner is not going back in the boat. I all looks great and thanks again for all the photos and documentation.
Jody
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

John, By the looks of it the old liner is not going back in the boat. I all looks great and thanks again for all the photos and documentation.
Jody

Jody, No I decided not to put the liner back in. There is no real reason.I will be making little calves to cover the gas fills and vents and I am putting popup cleats in the gunnel. I am however going to put two layers of glass up the hull wall like a liner, it just won't be removable.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 11:44pm
Thanks John just what I wanted to hear. Mine goes under the knife next week.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 11:54pm
It is a great feeling to finally template the deck. You are rounding second and coming into third! Dreams of fishing the GS on a nautique...
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2011 at 2:43am
Jody, Are you doing a full restore or just a face lift?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2011 at 11:14am
Hi John,
This boat will get a complete gutting and re-stringer, however I will be utilizing full length full dimension fir stringers and will build secondary and sub structure componets out of blue water grade Coosa. Am also planing to utilize a motor frame similar to what is currently utilized in Correct Crafts today. I guess you could say it is going to get a full restore/re-build/re-new/re-fit and up grade. I have a Indmar/PCM six liter for power and will run a 72-C warner gear.
This boat is really not being built for fish hunting but more for general salt water bayboat type activities and diving.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2011 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Hi John,
This boat will get a complete gutting and re-stringer, however I will be utilizing full length full dimension fir stringers and will build secondary and sub structure componets out of blue water grade Coosa. Am also planing to utilize a motor frame similar to what is currently utilized in Correct Crafts today. I guess you could say it is going to get a full restore/re-build/re-new/re-fit and up grade. I have a Indmar/PCM six liter for power and will run a 72-C warner gear.
This boat is really not being built for fish hunting but more for general salt water bayboat type activities and diving.

Please take pictures of your progress I would love to follow your rebuild as you did mine. I am having trouble with deciding what deck system I want to use. I can go with a core product like NIDA, Coosa or there is PRISMA, the company that supplied me with the stringer system. They have a new deck beam system. There system is about 1/4 inch thinner then a NIDA would be but the cost is about $500 more. As for install time I think the PRISMA system will take half the time, but at this point is time even an issue. I don't know, it's not the money because I alreay have so much vested in the boat I just want it to be right. Sorry just rambling on I will keep ya posted on the decsion.

John
firefight-n View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2011 at 9:45pm
WOW!! $500 MORE??? I cant believe it, is the stuff lines with gold or is it just bc it has been Ship Shaped... Did u ever find out the dimensions of the stuff John
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 8:46pm
Storage floors installed......
I used 1/4" NIDA-CORE to make the floors for the storage boxes today. The area I am putting the floor in has an odd shape so we had to score the NIDA so it would bend in the shape I need. I used two layers of chop and two layers of 0 90 biax for the floor area.

I was also able to start the mold for the rear transom area. After staring at it for a bit I decided what I needed to do. I will used this mold to get the rear section where I want it. Then pull the part off of this mold so I will get a factory look for the rear. In all I was able to gain about 14 inches by cutting this area out.

snapperscrapper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapperscrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 11:19pm
Your work looks incredible, was wondering if you are going to consider spray rails for your boat (ride great but can be wet as hell) if so are you going to make your own or are you going to purchase them. I have been wanting to add them to mine for a long time but want to make sure they are worth the time and effort.
snapperscrapper
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 6:40pm
Transom cap is cut......
Today I took the mold I made yesterday off. It came out great. I trimmed the edges of it and reinforced it for the part I was about to pull. After a few last measurements I started cutting the transom cap. This was very nerve recking because I wasn't sure if the boat would bow out real bad, well it didn't.

Now that is was cut I took the mold and dry fit it to make sure the part that will be made out if it will fit the way I need it too.

Then I sprayed PVA on the mold and laid it up. I used about 6 layers of glass. A mixture of matt and biax. Tomorrow I will pull the part and trim it the way I need to.

drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 8:15pm
yeah well i winterized my boat this year!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 12:23pm
John i cant believe how awesome that looks!!! i cant wait to do that to mine!
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2011 at 10:36pm
Well the part for the rear gunnel is done. I just have to trim out a few areas and get it installed. Here is an overhead shot of the new rear area of the boat

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 9:20am
John,
Out of curiosity, I have to ask why you left the original 45 degree kick in on the gunnel sides and didn't go straight back. Is there somthing going under the deck? Forgive me if I missed something.

The build is amazing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Out of curiosity, I have to ask why you left the original 45 degree kick in on the gunnel sides and didn't go straight back. Is there somthing going under the deck? Forgive me if I missed something.

The build is amazing.

Two reasons why I did this. One was I wanted to be able to mount downriggers in the rear of the boat. The main reason is for the gas fills. If I where to go straight back there woud not be enough room for me to make the turn for the gas fill. I will take some pics of what I men later this week.

John
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 12:12am
Moving right along with the new cap...
Today Shawn tackled the rear gunnel grinding and chopping in. It came out great. While he was doing that I was finishing a few more little things that needed glassed. I also started to pour the foam in the bow but it got late and I had to head to work. Shawn was able to get the rest of it finished for me, which was a huge help!!!. Now we just have to foam in the gas tanks and we will be ready for the deck.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 6:37pm
Still working on rear gunnel cap.....
I am getting the last bit of glassing done on the rear cap. Still have to rough out the final shape and do all the mud work. Should be done by monday and ready for gelcoat.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2011 at 6:41pm
Decided to GelCoat......
My buddy Shawn made a good point the other day. He said "We should gelcoat the fish box and storage areas before the deck gets put on" well that was a good idea. So today we fired up the Binks B5 system and sprayed the first of about five coats of gelcoat in those areas. I only had time for one coat so on Monday when I get back in town (heading to Fort Lauderdale to pick up a boat for a buddy) I will put the remainder of the coats on.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 10:03pm
lookin real good john
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 17>
  Share Topic