NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 17>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 2:13am
simply amazing...always enjoy and am impressed by what you guys can do. Love watching these kinds of threads.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 7:49am
Enjoyed these posts again with my morning coffee... Impressive job!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by worththewake worththewake wrote:

Just want to say thanks for posting your restoration info. I will be starting restoration on my Fish Nautique soon and the information I am learning here is priceless.
Worththewake, it looks like youre throwing in the towel? Why not advertise it here on CCF?

Fish Nautique For sale on theBassBarn

Fish Nautique for sale on craigslist
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 6:24pm
Tell me more about your binks system? looks cool. great job!
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Tell me more about your binks system? looks cool. great job!

The Binks B5 is a External mix two component spray system. It will spay gels, resins and will also chop glass and mix it with resin (chopper gun). The system is airless and has a pressure of about 2500 PSI for the resin and 90 PSI for the MEKP. You can adjust the the MEKP mix ratio from .75% up to 3%. The MEKP is injected to the resin or gel from the side of the gun allowing them to mix outside of the gun so there is no need to clean the system until you are completly done with the job or you are changing from resin to gel. Here is a picture of the system. If you have any questions about it just ask.

worththewake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by worththewake worththewake wrote:

Just want to say thanks for posting your restoration info. I will be starting restoration on my Fish Nautique soon and the information I am learning here is priceless.
Worththewake, it looks like youre throwing in the towel? Why not advertise it here on CCF?

Fish Nautique For sale on theBassBarn

Fish Nautique for sale on craigslist

I have come to the conclusion that I simply wont have the time (still finishing my 25 Outrage). Watching this thread makes me clearly realize that. I am talking with someone about doing it for me right now and it may be an option if I can make the finances work. I did submit the for sale ad through this site on Saturday but its still waiting approval. I have had a few people interested but wont be heart broken if it doesnt sell. I really like the boat - just being realistic.
Scott
1980 Fish Nautique - Twin V6 Crusaders
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 11:09am
Well I finally finished the rear cap. It is primed and pretty much ready for gelcoat. It came out better then I ecpected it to.

I also recieved all the materials for my deck. Now I just have to put it all together. Should have it done by the end of the week.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 12:42am
NIDA-CORE Deck is done.....
Over the last few days I have been working on glassing the 4x8 sheets of NIDA-CORE. Those are all done and today I convinced my buddy Brian to cut all the parts of the deck out using the MDF templates I made a few weeks ago. I used 5 sheets of half inch NIDA-CORE, one and a half rolls of Biax, 15 gals of resin and about 15 yards of chop. The deck is extremely light and very stiff. The biggest span is over the bilge and there is very little flex, almost none. I will however put a few PRISMA beams under that section just to give it that much more stiffness. I also put the last coat of Gel on the the fish box and storage areas. Enjoy the pics.....

firefight-n View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 2:02pm
real nice john! my wife lost the camera somewhere in the house so i havent been able to take and post pictures of the boat. so im drastically trying to find it..
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 2:56am
wow your boat is coming along very nice! I am also currently restoring a FN. Just got done painting the hull with awlgrip. Did you pick your boat up in Stuart FL?
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 4:01am
Here is a little bit of my progress. I previously posted a pic on page 5 of what the boat used to look like before i painted. Still have the inside to do, tons of prep.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 6:18pm
Your boat looks great.. No I picked it up in Mims FL. in some guys barn..
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 8:30pm
Wow you have more glass and resin in your floor than I used for the entire Skier rebuild. Kinda puts in perspective the size of your boat. Its gonna be amazing when its done.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:10pm
Any updates John? I love the look of your transom cap mod. It came out beautifully!
Scott
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 1:54am
No, I am sorry everyone. Life has been keeping me away from the boat for the last few weeks. I am also getting married this month so............. Need I say anymore to all you married ones. But I hope to get back to it soon. I have everything I need to finish just need the few weeks to do it..

John
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 9:21am
Originally posted by jzarski jzarski wrote:

Life has been keeping me away from the boat for the last few weeks.

Originally posted by jzarski jzarski wrote:

I am also getting married this month

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 9:48am
No need to be sorry - I knew you had to be single to be making so much progress so fast...lol. Congrats on the pending nuptials!
Scott
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 5:30pm
cheers for the upcomming couple!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 8:52pm
Deck getting installed.....
Well I haven't had much time to work on the boat but for the last two days I have been working as much as I can. I have been able to get two sections of the deck glued down with NIDA-BOND. I still have to glass the two sections to the hull. I also have been building the hatches for the boat. In total I am going to need to make four little hatches and two of the big hatches. I have two littles done and one big done, so not much more to go. I am getting married on Sunday so I think this will be my last post till after March 5th when I get back. I will be in full speed when I get back. Mahi season starts around the end of March so she needs to be done by then!!!! O yeah, that's NOT my soon to be wife in the pictures, its my buddy Robs girl friend. He was my photo guy..Enjoy the Pictures.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 12:18am
Wedding is done and work has already comenced again on the Fish Project. Today we got the boat off the trailor and onto stands. I have a guy comming to take the bottom paint off on Thursday and he needed it off the trailor. Said it will only take a few hours with this special tool he has..... We will see. Tomorrow I will be putting another deck piece on with two more hatches. Things should move real quick now that my wedding is over. I have a few pics but I haven't got them uploaded yet I will do it tonight.

John

P.S Here is one Pic
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 11:19am
Congratulations on both counts, wedding and boat...!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 5:40pm
Pictures from yesterday..

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 5:50pm
Today Shawn and I got a good bit done on hatches. The Routing took a little longer then we wanted because the bit was trashed. We where able to get the holes cut but only one frame routed in. I have to grab a new bit tomorrow. Shawn was working on the hatch covers when I left to get ready for work. We still have to make one more each of the hatches. Enjoy the Pics.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 6:34pm
Man, that is great work... Impressive.
Tomorrow, first thread I'll be looking at when I'll be drinking my coffee .

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 7:05pm
seeing its your honeymoon, make sure you christen the engine cover, btw coming along nicely
"the things you own will start to own you"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 3:03pm
congrats on your new family bud!
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2011 at 11:07am
Bottom Paint Removel....
So where do I begin? A few days ago I made a comment about how I hired a "guy" to remove the bottom paint on the boat and I was a little skeptical about what he said he could do. Well I sure put my foot in my mouth today. This "guy" Tom, owner of Boat Savers did exactly what he said he would do and he did a great job at it. He was able to remove all the bottom paint form the boat and keep a factory smooth finish. Yes I will still have to prime the bottom before I paint it but it is just about ready for that. A few areas that need some filling, nothing that he did just areas that are aged. The boat was done in five hours and that inclued a lunch and clean up. Can't say enough about his work and his passion for what he does. There is a link to his email address in the LINKS section of the blog for anyone needing any bottom work done. Tom will travel where ever he needs to to do a job. Tom if you are reading this THANK YOU very much for a job well done on my boat.

I also got the three Hatches glued down with NIDA-BOND. I just have to belly them and glass them in.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2011 at 11:43pm
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad84/firefight-n/085.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad84/firefight-n/084.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad84/firefight-n/083.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad84/firefight-n/087.jpg
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2011 at 11:47pm

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2011 at 11:57pm
this was after the final layers of glass on the deck. The grinding and fairing was done today ill put the pics on there tomorrow. John, i grinded all the cracks and gel coat off the entire top of the gunnels(gunwale) like you said to do and i can already tell the paint job is going to look a ton better...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 17>
  Share Topic