NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 22>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 11:45pm
no rtv on the water ports, throw that tube out after you use it on the ends of the intake and the harmonic balance bolt, if anything use aviation on both sides of the ports cause i know your eager to put something on the gasket, i know the directions do not say to use silicone on that gasket anywhere. i personally will coat the gasket very lightly to hold it place with aviation permatex. I just showed a new guy today how to spread it thin and wouldnt you know it he had it oozin out like a toothpaste tube, remember: what you see oozin on the outside is also oozin on the inside..... from experience i have seen a $20,000.00 transmission fail because of a piece of blue silicone lodged in a lube port, it caused the bearing to fail which took out the case....the same applies for engines
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 11:47pm
use the block-off plates and RTV on both ends of the intake and around the ports.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2008 at 12:08am
i have silicone in aerosal cans, they closely resemble cheese whiz...in the wrong hands its deadly. if used correctly its the best stuff in the world...if you do use it on the ports apply it with your finger and smear it dont bead it up and cause it to ooze. when it oozes that means you used 10 times what you should have.... you have the info, you decide
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 10:08am

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 10:57am
its not a BB, its a pumpkin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 11:05am
...out of all the things you might have said?!!?   LOL
And pumpkins don't come in silver!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 12:01pm
I had to turn the contrast down on the screen, i put my sunglasses on and that still didnt help..
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 12:03pm
I like that Cheverolet orange. Do you have chrome valve covers for it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 12:05pm
I do look closely and notice that you pay close attention to detail (just like TR) its part of the OCD, dont worry, i have it too and i notice my 3 year old son also has it, I notice this cause if i help him pick up even 1 of his toys he gets very mad, he has to do it himself.....there is help out there
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 12:18pm
Greg, i do commend you on the beautiful job and the first thing i looked for was to see if you had silicone squeezing out anywhere
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Greg, i do commend you on the beautiful job and the first thing i looked for was to see if you had silicone squeezing out anywhere

Thank you sir...and the OCD is a part of life for me?!!?   LMAO

I wish the silicone seal was a little cleaner. It was beginning to skin when I cleaned it up, but I did dry fit it and plan for any excess to squeeze out instead of in.

I'm looking at valve covers. The originals don't fit with the 'drip tips'(?) inside of the covers. I think they would without the sheet metal inside...and they're supposed to. Can't go today; I'm still waiting to get snowed in!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 1:40pm
I'll take orange over blue anyday...does this mean a orange tranny too?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 3:09pm

I'll take orange over blue anyday...?

That would've been my guess...until you called it a pumpkin. Amy is already joking about me going downstairs to see my punkin! LOL

As for the transmission, I asked you to paint it black because I felt this rebuild coming(I've had an idea of what I wanted since I bought the boat). The trans and the exhaust mani's will be black, and some of the rest is still undecided.

FWIW Sherman did an excellent job on my machining. Eric, it was just like you said...'the smoothest thing you ever felt' on the cam and crank.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I like that Cheverolet orange. Do you have chrome valve covers for it?

I do now...I ran out before the 'big' snowstorm here and got a set. We'll see how they fit.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 11:50am
OCD will get the best of you, i have to spin the bar of soap in my hands a minimum of 20 times before i start to wash my feet, its irratating lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 2:43pm
Eric, you may have the OCD thing a notch higher than I do?!!? Do you watch Monk? LOL

How should I handle the dirty old engine tag? Also, I have clean brass fittings installed...they look nice, but they won't stay that way I'm guessing. Paint 'em?

Side note; Pete, I agree with Eric. I appreciate your knowlege and willingness to share it. Sadly, you are not as involved with this thread as I might like.    
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 5:59pm

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 6:25pm
you could get a can of clear and coat them and they will stay brassy longer, just a thought, looks nice. are you going to prime the pump?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 6:43pm
Greg, Thanks for the vote of confidence! I haven't commented much because I'm just not into engine details as much as others but I have been following along! The "pumpkin" looks so good that I would be afraid of starting it up but of coarse we know that's not the intent. I've seen lots of restored boats that look so good that you would need to be cautious with using them. In fact at shows, it's a common question from people; "do you take it out on the lake?"

I may be able to help with the tag. Here's a company that restorers have used. The price regrettably is high for one piece but it is a option.

new metal ID tags

If too expensive, Eric's idea I have used! You can whip down the tag with some denatured (it won't affect the paint) and then spray a clear enamel over it. It will darken up the old black and bring back some life to the tag.

Edit: If the denatured alcohol doesn't clean it up very much, try going over it lightly with a pencil eraser.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 7:40pm
Those valve covers look great!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 8:59pm

are you going to prime the pump?

I didn't forget. When I get the covers that I'm keeping, I'll spin it. These covers were purchased with the understanding of return. I got 'em mostly to check fit and for dust covers. I was going to get polished aluminum for the rigidity, but Amy likes the 'shinys'! LOL

As far as fit goes for 87 and others, the stock covers do fit over my roller rockers with 4 qualifiers: the covers can't have the drip tips, they can't have the factory sloped corners(for corvettes I think), the rockers with machined corners must be on #1 and # 8 intake, and they require the thick gasket as in the pic. The fatory baffles for the pcv do fit as well.
I had a 5/16" gap between these covers and the mani's with an exhaust gasket included. This will probably reduce to 1/4" when tight, so I'm guessing tall covers are out.

Pete, I'll see what I can do with the tag. Rather than have it in show condition, I might save that part for when my boat is a little older and maybe put it in a less conspicuous place for now.   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Those valve covers look great!

Thanks Riley!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 11:42am
The factory valve cover bolts I have are actually studs with a star drive on top and have a washer nut that tightens down on the cover. Does anyone know why this setup was used instead of a plain bolt? I hope I described it well enough for you to get my meaning...maybe it has to do with the pressure spreaders that go under them? I understand what the 'wings' are for.
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 11:53am
Studs are usually an upgrade not stock, they allow you to position the gasket and valve cover without them sliding around in relation to another.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 11:58am
Thanks Joe...makes perfect sense now that you say it. Good thing it wasn't a snake?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 4:44pm
Another bolt question. What is the proper name for the bolt in the top right of my water pump above? It's basically a bolt with another bolt to accept a nut on top.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 5:26pm
special bolt.

it's basicly a stud with a hex feature to it. I believe it is a dealer item only. Not sure if it realy as a specific name for the style it is. I'll have to do a little digging to find out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 5:51pm
Chris...you 'da man!, but no need to look for that specific bolt. What I need is 3/8" by 16 with an inch and a half below the head and maybe 1" above. My thinking was that if I knew the name, I'd have better luck searching for it. It's to hold my throttle bracket 'above' 2 intake bolts.

I made what I need from a stud and 3 nuts, but I'm not sure it will take a good torque. Thoughts? And thanks again!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 5:57pm
well you could just get longer bolts and then place some spacers under the bracket if you wanted.

Not sure on the intake you have but most have mounting bosses for the bracket, another style bracket is attached to the carb mounting bolts.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 11:47pm
Chris, I saw the carb mount brackets in my looking. I'm guessing you wouldn't have brought them up if they didn't suit our needs? They might solve more than 1 problem. The throttle bracket I have is in the way of what I'm guessing is the coil mount whether I put it right on the manifold or up higher(which it needs to be anyway). In the pic, I have a stud with washer nuts backed up against the unthreaded part and with 3 arp washers underneath.
FWIW, that's the carb that came with my 79...just checking fit...and yes, it's an auto!   LOL

1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 22>
  Share Topic