NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 16>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 1:38pm
either or doesn't make much difference just torque in stages and to equall amounts in a criss cross pattern starting in the center working outward like shown in the torque sequence.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 11:39pm
Ya know chris, all i was trying to do with the manual thing, was give the guy confidence.there is no use in telling everyone you encounter off , nothing good can come from it.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 12:40am
Hey David like your new picture-
Someday when you get some spare cash,get this book.On the head bolts it does not say you can't reuse them,and before I went with the new heads,I had reused mine with no trouble.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 2:38am
David, Just like Gary and Chris told you, you will be fine reusing those bolts. Ford mechanics never replaced the head bolts when doing valve jobs on these motors. When we went to unleaded gas and you did valve jobs every day, you always reused the bolts. This was a common accepted practice for warranty work. Hope you get it back together soon. John.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Hey David like your new picture-

Thanks Gary. My sister-in-law took that the last time we were out. They were on their pontoon and we had their kids, giving them a ride in the fast boat. Used some app on her iPhone that gives it a blurred and over-saturated effect. Thought it was a nice action shot.

Unfortunately the last time the old Mustang was on the water
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 11:29am
Looks like my short bolts are a bit rough on the upper end. I don't think this is actually threaded into the block. Maybe that's why they are rough?

Can they still be used?

short2

short1
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 2:33pm
e-mail theses pics to me please
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 2:49pm
Emailed.

$40 is cheap insurance, I can always just by the new ones and not worry.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 2:53pm
yes get some new ones for those they have corroided, almost looks like they are in a water-jacket but I don't believe any should go through one at all, do you remember which holes those came out of?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 3:55pm
All of the lower holes on the starboard side. The ones exposed. Not the larger bolts under the valve cover. I have not examined the port side ones yet. None should go through any water jacket. All the holes in the block dead end.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 3:56pm
I assume these I have linked too before will be fine???

Fasteners
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 4:24pm
those will work fine.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Fasteners

Dave, Those head bolts will come with washers that are chamfered on one side. The chamfer goes towards the head of the bolt. Don't put them on upside down, should be an illustration with the bolt kit so take a look. The bolt has a radius where the head meets the shank and the washers are relieved to fit.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Fasteners

Dave, Those head bolts will come with washers that are chamfered on one side. The chamfer goes towards the head of the bolt. Don't put them on upside down, should be an illustration with the bolt kit so take a look. The bolt has a radius where the head meets the shank and the washers are relieved to fit.

Thanks for the tip!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2010 at 11:58pm
Well everything is cleaned up and ready to be assembled. I was going to install the heads but I don't believe my threads are clean enough. Most of bolts I can tread all the way by hand. But some start to tighten up before the last 3 or 2 threads on the bolt disappear into the hole, this is with the head off.

I think I need to get a thread chaser. Can't seem to find much info on what size these head bolts are. I believe 7/16??? We have a pretty good hardware store by work that might have one, if not, I'll order from Summit Chaser. Does anyone know the exact size and thread count?

Thanks!
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 12:05am
Take the bolt to the hardware store, and try different nuts (size/thread) till one fits. I do it all of the time

Shawn
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 9:56am
Yep 7/16 - 14
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 10:31am
In a pinch, one can take an old bolt and cut a straight groove down the threads with a cutoff wheel. Beats waiting.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 11:30am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

In a pinch, one can take an old bolt and cut a straight groove down the threads with a cutoff wheel. Beats waiting.

Well look at that, it worked! I was under the impression there was a bit more to a thread chaser but cutting a groove in the old bolt seemed to clean it out pretty well. Thanks for the tip! Now I can get those heads on tonight.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 12:00pm
rockin!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 1:28pm
Well I have the heads on.

Now I have an issue with the rocker arm bolts. There are about 4 of them that do not want to easily thread on. Can I simply replace with a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store, or is there something special with these?

And what is the proper procedure for tightening these up? Obviously I will be compressing some springs.

P1010444

P1010445

P1010446

P1010447
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 1:39pm
dont forget to take that towel out your intake valley
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

dont forget to take that towel out your intake valley

I figured I'd just leave it in there in case I have another leak it would absorb the water and keep it out of the oil. Maybe I'll throw a ShamWow in there instead.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 1:48pm

Well I have the heads on.

Now I have an issue with the rocker arm bolts. There are about 4 of them that do not want to easily thread on. Can I simply replace with a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store, or is there something special with these?

Im confused. The vintage of your engine would indicate that your heads should utilize stud mount rockers (which are pressed in). Your pictures would seem to confirm this. What bolts are you talking about?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 1:51pm
Sorry, I seem to mistype in the mornings, takes me a while to wake up.

I'm talking about the nuts, not bolts.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 2:35pm
don't run a thread chaser or tap threw them they are special self locking nuts. Most of the valves are closed some will open up as you tighten them down as the lifter is on the cam lobe and it will feel tight as your compressing the valve spring while your tightening the nut this is all normal and just tighten then down steady and slowly
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 2:36pm
If his engine is really an early '68, first year 302, then the studs will be non-positive stop, and we'll have to coach him through it. Can't just crank & go.
After some initial setup I set mine following instructions with the engine hot & running.
One can tell by the existance of a shoulder on the stud. No shoulder means more coaching.

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

If his engine is really an early '68, first year 302, then the studs will be non-positive stop, and we'll have to coach him through it. Can't just crank & go.
After some initial setup I set mine following instructions with the engine hot & running.
One can tell by the existance of a shoulder on the stud. No shoulder means more coaching.

hard to see but it does look like there is a shoulder present on the studs.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 2:45pm
P1010447

This what you mean by shoulder? Do I just tighten till it bottoms out?

Most of the nuts I can tread all the way down by hand with no rocker on the stud. The other 4 or so I would have to crank with a wrench to get them down. They feel a bit tight and I don't know how sensitive torque settings are here so I thought that might throw it off. If that matters. Again, this is just threading them on the stud itself without the rocker.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 3:01pm
Can't see the picture til later.

If you see the studs flare right belowe the last thread, your good to hook, torque to 20 ft# with some basic checks the last few turns.

If you don't, there is a precise procedure to follow to set the rocker. you also need new nuts too, because they should not be easy to turn.

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 16>
  Share Topic