NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 17>
Author
firefight-n View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 8:10pm
hows that boat coming along john?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by firefight-n firefight-n wrote:

hows that boat coming along john?

Rich,
He just got married and to a very beautiful woman. Give the guy some time!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 1:47am
I have been working on it. I will be at the shop all day tomorrow gelcoating the bottom, I will have some new pictures tomorrow.

8122pbrainard,
Thank you for the compliment on my new wife. She is a gem!!!
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 11:16pm
Well the Gelcoating did not go the way I was hoping. I was planning on using the Binks to do it, but there is just not enough room under there to move fast enough for the machine. The Binks throws so much material that if you are not fast you will have runs all over the place. So I tried rolling it...... That was a joke, if I do that I might be done next summer!! So the last option was using the HVLP with the 2.5 tip. It worked but I can only spray 12oz at a time and since it is mixed with MEKP I have to clean the gun every 12oz's...... So tomorrow I am going to try and reposition the boat to use the Binks. No pictures like I said I would have Sorry. I will see what tomorrow brings.

John
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 5:53pm
Bottom Gel coated.....
Well after a few issues trying to gel coat the bottom of the boat, today I was able to do it. I used the Bink's and moved as fast as I could. There are a few runs and a ton of orange peel. This is not a big issue since I will be sanding most of it off to get it smooth. The black you see in the pictures is a trace coat. This is so I can black the bottom and see where to the lows are. Hope to have the bottom painted by the weekend..

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 6:34pm
Today I started sanding the new gel coat I sprayed the other day. I am using 40 grit to knock it down then I will go over that with 400 for a smooth surface. Then I will be ready for paint. While I was under the boat sanding Shawn bellied the holes that need filling around the boat. He also started filling the transom holes. I did this because I am not sure where the new exhaust hole and scupper holes will go. Well here are a few pictures of today's work.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 10:58pm
Still Sanding....
Well it's been awhile since my last post. I have been working none stop on the boat just nothing looks like its getting done. There is only so many pictures you can take of a sanded bottom. It is about done, I am doing the finish sanding now. We have also been filling all the holes in the transom and gunnel so that is about done also. If all goes as planned I will be painting to bottom of the boat this weekend........Things never go as planned when I plan them. Here are a few pictures of the boat as it sits today. There is also a picture of the tower that I bought a few months ago.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 6:03am
Good to hear from you again... I kinda missed my reading here with my morning coffee...
Sanding is a PITA, it always seems you'll never see the end of it.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 11:09am
Why are you filling the exhaust holes? That's going to be one hell of a fishing boat when you finish.    Nice work.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Why are you filling the exhaust holes? That's going to be one hell of a fishing boat when you finish.    Nice work.

I had to fill the exhaust holes becaue the new stringers I put in where about an inch wider then factory. This covered a portion of the hole so I will be relocating them.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 10:08pm
The shop has been cleaned of weeks worth of sanding dust and the boat is as high as I can get it. The painting will begin tomorrow after I get off work around 5:00pm EST. Hope to get the entire bottom done. Then on Thursday I will paint the sides. Keep a look out for a freshly painted 23' Fish!!!!!!!

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 11:52pm
Looks good. I am not understanding why you would go to the trouble to gel coat the bottom and then paint over it????

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Looks good. I am not understanding why you would go to the trouble to gel coat the bottom and then paint over it????

BKH

HAHAHAHA......Well I don't have a good answer for that. I thought I would be better off gel coating then spraying over it but it really was a waste of time. I ended up sanding 90% of the gell off. I don't think I will do that again if I ever do a bottom. I would have been better off sanding the old gel smooth. I am going to put two coats of epoxy primer sealer on first then the paint on that wet on wet so I get a really good bond. We will see what tonight brings. I will take some video if I can.

John
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 1:42am
Bottom is Painted....
I got started today around 6:30pm EST after cleaning the boat one more time. Shawn was there to help me tonight and without him I would still be painting.. I put two heavy coats of Epoxy primer and two heavy coats of Snow White Paint. The bottom is slick and really shiny. I came out good considering I was painting in a warehouse with little light. Tomorrow I will mask and paint the Fighting Lady Yellow. Here are a few pictures. It's hard to see the shinyness but if you look close you can see some reflections of things around the shop.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 8:26am
AWESOME!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 10:27am
i've really enjoyed reading your post...and the results are amazing

so, here is a dumb quesion...how do you paint around the boat stands??
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

i've really enjoyed reading your post...and the results are amazing

so, here is a dumb quesion...how do you paint around the boat stands??

My Dad always told me "no such thing as a dumb question, It's the only way you will learn new things." To answer the question, I will just move the stands and wet sand the lip out out do a blend job. Any over spray will get wt sanded and high speed buffed out. You will never know they where there.

John
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 4:13pm
makes sense, thanks.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 12:59am
Fighting Lady Yellow......
Tonight Shawn and I painted the sides of the boat Fighting Lady Yellow. I put 3 heavy coats on. The boat came out great. We masked off the bottom that we painting last night and got to work. Total spray time was about an hour and a half. Neways I am tired so enjoy the pictures...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 11:48am
You have the ability to gelcoat, but chose to paint instead?

Whats the logic there? Im curious. Seems gel would be the obvious choice.
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 12:30pm
Can you tell us what paint you are using. I'm not a fan of gelcoat for recoating and will likely use PPG Defleet on my boat unless I can find something better.

Beautiful workmanship, thanks for sharing it.

Jack
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by wingwrench wingwrench wrote:

Can you tell us what paint you are using. I'm not a fan of gelcoat for recoating
Jack

Jack,
What's your problem with gel?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 12:58am
Well the reason I did not go with gel is because it is very hard to spray smooth. Spraying it in a mold is one thing but applying it like a paint.....well that is not an easy task. Gel tends to orange peel real bad when sprayed like a paint. Then you have a ton of wet sanding and buffing to get it smooth. Don't get me wrong gel is far more durable then paint but in this application and the size of the job, paint was the way to go.

As for the paint, I am using Dupont single stage Urathane. I think it's called ful-thane. I have painted a few other boats with is and it holds up real good.

Started finishing the bilge.....
Today I cleaned the bilge of the boat and put the first coat of gel coat on it. I will put a total of three coats and then a final coat of bilge paint.

wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 1:34am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by wingwrench wingwrench wrote:

Can you tell us what paint you are using. I'm not a fan of gelcoat for recoating
Jack

Jack,
What's your problem with gel?

Pete,
John hit the nail on the head with the exception of durability. I'm using Delfleet Evolution and find it to be more durable than gel. The original Imron we had back in the 70's was pretty tough but this stuff beats it and it is easier to spray. This boat Saetta Boats is shot with it, clear over the wood and pigment on the hull, it was on display at Mt Dora.

Thanks John, if my supplier hadn't switched to PPG I'd still be shooting Dupont. I have just enough Imron left to do my trailer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 9:58am
Yes, I have posted the process of spraying gel and wet sanding out the orange peel many times. It, without a doubt is more work but I feel worth the effort. I shot a glass boat with Imron once. Beautiful but it sure didn't last!! I will never paint another glass boat.

I'm very familiar with modern clears on wood. To this day I have never seen one hold up. The exception is a bright finish on a cold molded epoxy hull - no wood movement. No movement but not what I consider to be a wood boat anymore!!!!

The Saetta is a pretty boat especially to someone who really doesn't understand the difference between a "late contemporary" and a true wood restoration. As a ACBS judge, I actually avoid the reproductions!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 10:24am
I rarely dabble in the Gel/Paint controversy, But,.paints have came a long way in the last 10 years, my addage is if its a Hemi car, you put a hemi in it.....if not put a Chevy in it   lol, alot of the boat companies are spraying the molds with Ureathane and then gel, I can attest from painting boats 10 years ago because i see them every year, they come in not chalky or in the need of buffing, we will spot in the side of boats with Base/clear and you cant tell. lets put it this way alot more R and D has gone into paints that they have in gels. but one thing i may add with the Ureathanes is to go 50/50 on the last coat with a good clear and color. the clear coats of today do come with uv protectors....
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 11:35am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I shot a glass boat with Imron once. Beautiful but it sure didn't last!! I will never paint another glass boat.

Well??? what happened? I painted the transom of my Dads Shamrock at least 10 yrs ago with Imron.It's outside all year on the lift,covered in the winter.It still is like the day I did it. I would not do mine,but would not hesitate to do his whole boat.You can't paint it below the water line,but since it spent it's first 20 yrs in Miami the PO already had the bottom painted

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 2:07pm
Gary,
This was in the early days when Imron came out. The bottom blistered, the sides got chalky at half a season and scratches couldn't be wet sanded out without going through the paint.

Yes, Eric is correct that the linear polys have come a long way. Still not the build you get with gel and the abrasion resistance. I remember when Imron was touted as being "self healing". Scratch it and then leave it out in the hot sun and it would "heal". Well, that was a advertising "stretch of the imagination"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 1:19am
Bilge paint finished.....
Well after two coats of white gel. I decided that white was a bad idea so I put a coat of gray bilge paint. I like it much better. Well here are a few pictures.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 2:44am
Motor installed..
I have been working on the boat here and there. Not as much as I want to due to work. So this post is about 4 days of work. We where able to get the boat off the stands and on the trailer so we could maneuver the boat over the hoist and get the motor installed. Shawn was the man today, I had to be to work at 5pm today and he stayed still 9pm tonight and got the motor all bolted in. The reason I am putting the motor in before the inside is done is so I can get the boat in the water and figure out where the water line is going to be. I have to know this so I can re drill the exhaust holes and put the scupper holes in the right place. I will be keeping the motor in during the finishing process of the inside, just going to cover it all up. Well here is a few pics of the last few days...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 17>
  Share Topic