NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 22>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 12:51am
so what kind of ignition system do you have? HEI? no?, why not?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 7:57am

A coupling nut machined down to the exact length you need may be a little neater than a bunch of washers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 8:22am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I was going to ask your advice on that. I haven't seen a HEI marine, but I have seen Mallory marine and MSD marine...both with an optical pick up or magnetic; and some are vacuum or mechanical advance or both. I know roughly how the system works but that is the limit of my knowlege on ignition systems.

I've seen here on the site that you know your stuff on this...school me!    
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 8:32am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

A coupling nut machined down to the exact length you need may be a little neater than a bunch of washers.

Thanks Pete, I agree! ...and I was sure you'd know the name of that other bolt so I could google it. The best hardware store in town didn't have them or know the name either, so it must be a super specialty bolt.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 9:41am
Greg, My local Ace does have them. They are commonly used to couple lengths of threaded rod to make longer lengths. Typical for a tradesman hanging something off a ceiling. They are also made in a reducing style like a 3/8-16 on one side and a 5/15-18 on the other. I'm sure that the hardware won't have them!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 10:01am
Coker equipment is the hardware store I was referring to and they do have coupling nuts. We may have gotten our wires crossed...the un-named bolt I'm chasing is the 1 like the top right in my water pump above.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 10:09am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Coker equipment is the hardware store I was referring to and they do have coupling nuts. We may have gotten our wires crossed...the un-named bolt I'm chasing is the 1 like the top right in my water pump above.

I think we did! The one I was thinking about was the manifold / throttle bracket.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 10:29am
There isn't anything wrong with the bolt in the pump. I'm trying to find 2 like it but bigger(3/8" x 16) for the manifild and throttle bracket. The pic is my attempt to 'make' one. I'm going to ask Sherman about welding the nuts to the stud; then I would feel better about getting the right torque on it.

Chris also made a good point. I may be chasing my tail until I have my carb in hand and decide what ignition system to use. The carb mount throttle bracket may put the whole issue to rest.
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 12:16pm

I was going to ask your advice on that. I haven't seen a HEI marine, but I have seen Mallory marine and MSD marine...both with an optical pick up or magnetic; and some are vacuum or mechanical advance or both. I know roughly how the system works but that is the limit of my knowlege on ignition systems.

I've seen here on the site that you know your stuff on this...school me!    

On a marine motor, you'll want a mechanical advance. I have HEI style Performance Distributors DUI on my Ford. I love it. For $320 for a BBC unit, its a no brainer.

Performance Distributors Marine DUI
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 12:44pm
I put a MSD marine dist. in my SBC and love it. I know of at least two others that put MSD's in their BFN's and they also can't say enough about them. I would highly recommend them.

I'm not familiar with the HEI style dist. that Tim has but if he recommends it, you can bank on that too.

I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong with either one.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 1:51pm
Tim and Eddie, thanks for the input. It's pretty sad for me that I don't know enough about them to compare. I'll be in real trouble if Chris comes back with the Mallory! LOL

Are some easier to adjust than others? Magnetic or optical?

The DUI(tough name for an automotive product!) with the built in coil would free up a mounting boss or 2...
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 2:14pm
Greg, do a search on here for more info on the DUI. Several of us run them (JoeinNY has 2) and swear by them. I picked up 200rpm on the top end with mine. The parts are all replaceable with off-the-shelf GM HEI parts, and the thing is cake to work on. They custom make each one, so there is a little lag once you order- but they match the advance curve to the engine components. Once you get it, plug in 2 wires (12V and tach) and youre good to go. You can even select a cap color to compliment your shiny new paint!

The only bad thing Ive heard about them is that they "dont look right" on a Ford, especially in a vintage boat. Thats not an issue with your Chevy.

The engine looks great, by the way! Im sure you cant wait to get it in the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Greg, do a search on here for more info on the DUI. Several of us run them (JoeinNY has 2) and swear by them. I picked up 200rpm on the top end with mine. The parts are all replaceable with off-the-shelf GM HEI parts, and the thing is cake to work on. They custom make each one, so there is a little lag once you order- but they match the advance curve to the engine components. Once you get it, plug in 2 wires (12V and tach) and youre good to go. You can even select a cap color to compliment your shiny new paint!

The only bad thing Ive heard about them is that they "dont look right" on a Ford, especially in a vintage boat. Thats not an issue with your Chevy.

The engine looks great, by the way! Im sure you cant wait to get it in the boat.

Thank you sir for the kind words! Your endorsement is clear and Joe likes them enough to get a second? That's pretty strong considering I respect both of your opinions!

I would still like to hear from the 'slasher'(79) though.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

I put a MSD marine dist. in my SBC and love it. I know of at least two others that put MSD's in their BFN's and they also can't say enough about them. I would highly recommend them.

And this is actual BFN experience. I heard somewhere that when Eddie talks, people listen!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 3:23pm
P.S.- everyone should know that I'm in a good mood and playfully yanking a chain or 2...no harm intended, just having a moment.
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 4:31pm
I do have two this blue one on the 302

and a clear one on a 408. For a reverse direction ford they are kinda expensive, require some work, and some can argue they aren't brand correct, for a slightly warmed up well loved and pretty 454 chevy they are competatively priced, drop right in, simple to install and should be perfect. But theres nothing wrong with a mallory, msd system, or combo setup price em out and decide what you like.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 4:49pm
And thank you for the kind words Joe...sharp engine there as well! The trouble is I don't know what to like and why beyond looks. LOL
1988 BFN-sold

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 6:34pm
Greg,
The MSD system looks more like the OEM type distributor. It has a mechanical advance that is tunable to your particular application with lighter or heavier springs on the advance weights and a bushing that you change out for adjusting the amount of total advance that you want. You have to use the MSD ignition box in conjunction with the distributor though which will add cost as compared to the DUI that Tim and Joe are talking about. The trigger for the MSD system is magnetic in the distributor itself but they offer crank triggers that you can install if you prefer that method. The hardest part of the installation that I ran into was where to place the ignition box. Got that solved with some inginuity on the backside of the engine cover. They also offer watertight connectors that I used so that I can just unplug the three connections from the box to the power, distributor and tach so that I can easily remove the engine cover if I need to. Just can't run the engine without the cover on but I didn't see that as an issue. I've had it installed for about eight years now and the only issue that I've had is the advance weights got sticky and not advance as they should one time in the last year and I had the terminals tarnish up inside the cap once. These issues could easily be contributed to the FL humidity. They have an excellent technical support staff to help you if you need any assistance. Highly recommended as far as I'm concerned.

Your motor looks incredible by the way. I'm sure that you'll love the results as much as the effort.

This shows the distributor, ignition box and the MSD coil.

The bottom right of this one shows two of the three watertight connectors to the box. The third one is just below the cable tie located between the throttle cable and the raw water strainer.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 6:53pm

The trouble is I don't know what to like and why beyond looks.

Well, if thats how you'll be basing your decision, Ill throw some pics in as well

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 7:31pm
To me the main difference to you would be a drop in experience with the DUI, they would curve it with the correct springs and advance for your application and you wouldn't need to mount a seperate coil or control box with the additional wires. For something that is going to be that simple, clean, high performance, and precurved to your setup for 320 bucks would be for me as Tim said, a no brainer.

But believe me I wouldnt kick that msd setup out of my boat and might even end up that way in one of them because of a nitrous upgrade. How much money are we looking at there backfoot?

Of course you can always do stock with a quick point replacement module or a mallory and a coil
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 7:46pm
well I would go with Tim's suggestion on the DUI unit, not sure but believe you don't have to worry about the gear on it working right. It's a solid unit, packages better and free up some mounting bosses and it won't look out of place on a chevy block.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 2:59am
Joe...what is that thing with the yellow sicker on it, on the top left corner of your motor?

Backfoot...What kind of wires are those and where did you get them? (ps) see you at the river!

Buffalo...That motor looks sweet, what do you think the "hp" is going to be?
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 3:07am
I have a malory on mine with a MSD blaster coil!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 3:24am
[QUOTE=MaddMarxx] Joe...what is that thing with the yellow sicker on it, on the top left corner of your motor?

[QUOTE]

Thats the flux capacitor... actually just the perfect pass actuator.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 3:27am
BTW you all have some pretty fine looking engines someday when i grow up i hope to have that kind of attention to detail.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 8:30am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

BTW you all have some pretty fine looking engines someday when i grow up i hope to have that kind of attention to detail.

Joe, I think you have a fine looking engine as well. As far as details, I'll agree - you missed removing the Glastron tags from the manifolds!! Did you have to buy a old Glastron to get them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 8:48am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

Buffalo...That motor looks sweet, what do you think the "hp" is going to be?

Thanks again! I'm not sure about the hp...should be a little over stock with the intake, rockers, and it's .030 over.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 8:49am

well I would go with Tim's suggestion on the DUI unit, not sure but believe you don't have to worry about the gear on it working right. It's a solid unit, packages better and free up some mounting bosses and it won't look out of place on a chevy block.

I'm sold!
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 11:43am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joe, I think you have a fine looking engine as well. As far as details, I'll agree - you missed removing the Glastron tags from the manifolds!! Did you have to buy a old Glastron to get them?

I wish those were Glastron Tags, they are cut about 3/32 into the manifold so they will have to be milled then polished and a suitable CC/mustang type logo affixed in the resulting flat area, its on the list. I did not have to buy a glastron to get them, although I have had a few glastrons over the years (mostly Gt150s and GT160). I got those from 79 Nautique to replace my leaking interceptor logs. Thats actually the 302 in the Ski Nautique as I was using it before I finished the 408, I blame the temporary installation for the mess of wires hoses and cables everywhere.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 12:22pm
Only 2 leaks.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 22>
  Share Topic